Start by marking “The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Agnes Grey” as Want to Read:
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Agnes Grey

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Agnes Grey

THis edition is introduced by Phyllis Bentley, the famous Yorkshire novelist and expert on ther Brontes, and it is illustrated by Peter Dennis.

The Tenenat of Wildfell Hall is the story of a young girl who falls in love with a young man of great charm and a bad reputation... The love story of Agnes Grey, gentle, though it has a significant shadow behind it
Hardcover
Published 1960 by heron books (first published June 1848)

To ask other readers questions about The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Agnes Grey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Agnes Grey

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.)
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall was a superb novel! It had a gripping plot that grabbed me from the first page and didn't let up until the last page. I liked the narrative style of the novel too. Anne Bronte uses the perspectives of her two primary protagonists, Mr. Gilbert Markham, and Mrs. Helen Graham, extraordinarily effectively through the use of diary entries and correspondence.

It seems to me that Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall addresses some very profound issues that women of all
unnarrator
Jun 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FIVE stars for Wildfell, a dreary 3 for Agnes Grey, I have SO much to say about both books but it will have to wait for happier times, or anyway times when I have furniture and a cat again.
Pete
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, england
"Tenant of Wildfell Hall" is of a similar genre to "Emma;" both are about 19th century British aristocrats running around cross-eyed trying to get married, and both feature female protagonists who are disdainfully idiotic in their assessments of potential mates. Somehow, in the end, the world forgives these jerk-faces all their transgressions, and the concluding 1/12 of each book is dedicated to wholly unrealistic forgiving and kisses, much to the female protagonists' advantage.
"Tenant..." is
Colleen
ANNE BRONTE IS BEST BRONTE

In all seriousness, though, I like how real and straightforward Anne is compared to her sisters. She captures the realness of life, and has a real knack for writing characters. I preferred Tenant over Agnes Grey, mostly because of the brevity of Agnes Grey and how it clearly shows Anne still needed to develop her skills. Agnes had so much summarization; Tenant almost seemed to overcorrect that and dragged on. Still, Tenant unfolded at a better pace and was much better d
Katy
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Both are very cleverly crafted stories. I liked them because they rejected the romantic tenets of the Gothic period into which they were both written and aimed to portray the plight of women in a more realistic way. The heroes of these two novels are strong women with minds of their own, inspirations to kids like me even in modern times such as these.
E Sweetman
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: classic fans, Bronte fans
Shelves: classics
What a surprise! Another Bronte sister that can write a ripping yarn! It was well written and interesting as it was from two perspectives. A bit preachy and drags on in parts but it was worth it to plow through. Highly recommend if you are a fan of either or both of her sisters.
Rawan Mohammed
Jan 15, 2010 rated it liked it
so different from her sisters style, a typical romantic novel
Ashleigh Cartmill
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
These two books were very intriguing and most likely a very real look at what women of the time Anne wrote in had to deal with. It felt very much like Austen mixed with more gothic elements and less surety of a happy ending. This volume is very long and dense but an interesting read and one I very much enjoyed. I have not read the other Bronte sisters' works but from what I have heard of them, these novels are much less romanticized. All of the characters you meet, especially in Wildfell Hall, h ...more
Ashley Owens
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad I made time to read this classic. A rollercoaster of human capabilities, from the lowest vice to the highest powers of love. The story touches on many relevant topics of today and leaves one thankful for the progress made and regretful of what has yet to be done. The story of the author and the censorship of the book is also fascinating.
Karen S.
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agnes Grey ***
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall *****
Kathy Stone
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed these two novels, and though I had read "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" in a University English class it was great to have the opportunity to read alongside Anne Bronte's other novel "Agnes Grey". It was nice to read books from the nineteenth-century that did not gloss over marital problems. The issues of drunkenness, spousal abuse, and the cheating that goes with this sins against the family were prevalent back then. It was just that no one talked of them, nor wrote of them, exce ...more
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Austen and the Bronte sisters
Really enjoyed Agnes Grey, the first story in this 2 in 1 book. It was surprisingly funny, especially some of the exchanges between Agnes and Rosalie and Agnes internal thoughts about Rosalie.

I don't understand why Bronte made such a production of hiding the locations in the book. She (or he, at the time) always said it was a work of fiction, why bother to hide the location if nothing in the story is real? For example Bronte writes that her father dies and her mother moves to the seaside town of
Elune
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jane Eyre fans
Shelves: classical
Agnes Grey is a wonderful novel. Similar to Jane Eyre by it's poor heroine without much beauty. It is not quite as rich in drama, but more realistic. In fact, from the very beginning, I identified myself much with Agnes so I felt everything she felt. I would not say it is better than Jane Eyre, but I was satisfied in my looking for the same kind of story.

Just when I was wondering why romance novels heroes were always rich, intelligent but not so handsome and heroines always poor and beautiful, I
Housewife Bubuchu
До сестер ей конечно далеко. Те умели выносить читателям мозги.
Но в целом неплохо. Скучноватая история про Настоящую любовь в английском пасторальном антураже. Слишком много морализаторства близкого к ханжеству, слишком много религиозного восторга, все эмоции и чувства героев слегка через край. Романтический герой откровенно так себе личность. А Героиня так просто Воплощение Всех Земных Добродетелей Освещенная Ореолом Святости и Мученичества. Пффф.
Jessica Pesic
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I loved Agnes Grey. It's amazing, that even today, you are still able to relate to Agnes' feelings of degradation within the work force.
And I have to say that The Tenant of Wildfell Hall was probably my 3rd favourite Bronte book (Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights being my 1st and 2nd). I find Anne's writing to have a lighter feel to it, compared to her both her sisters novels.
Kathryn Featherston
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women in general
Shelves: classics
Any book or books by one of the Brontes is guaranteed to be an enjoyable read for me. Wildfell Hall is especially engrossing as the characters each have their own way of relating to others and to their world in general. I remember reading this in high school and loved it just as much back then, but often for different reasons.
Erica-Lynn
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've no idea why The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is not in the canon of Victorian literature, comparable to Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre. Anne Bronte's bad luck, I suppose. Nevertheless, it's an absolute must-read, and I'm ashamed I've never read it until now. A total page-turner, and so feminist it's almost flabbergasting.
Meen
May 13, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read Tenant in high school, but I don't remember much of it. And I never read Agnes Grey, so I will put this one on my to-read list. A better story about this book is that I checked it out from the Gulfport Library in 1987 and never returned it. So, Hurricane Katrina relieved me of a mighty hefty late fee! (The Gulfport Library was right along the beach for those of you not from the Coast.)
Robbin Melton
Nov 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Agnes Grey was decent, but pointless and Tenant of Wildfell Hall is poorly written. Couldn't finish the second story and still had 500 pages to go.
Addy
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
2.5 stars for Agnes Grey
3 stars for The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Listened to it on tape. Interesting how a young woman understood how a woman's happiness was so tied to the man she married.
Miss Anne of Kelkynch

• All Day Permanent Red: The First Battle Scenes of Homer's Iliad Rewritten
  • Complete Works of Thomas Hardy
  • Revolutionary Road / The Easter Parade / Eleven Kinds of Loneliness
  • Shirley & The Professor
  • The Lady in the Lake, The Little Sister, The Long Goodbye, Playback (Everyman's Library)
  • Poems
  • Testimonies
  • Sir Gawain and the Green Knight; Patience; Pearl
  • Coonardoo
  • Sanditon and Other Stories
  • Complete Works of Anthony Trollope
  • The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce and Selected Stories
  • Naguib Mahfouz: Three Novels of Ancient Egypt
  • David Golder, The Ball, Snow in Autumn, The Courilof Affair
  • The Complete Works of Alfred Tennyson
Anne Brontë was a British novelist and poet, the youngest member of the Brontë literary family. Anne's two novels, written in a sharp and ironic style, are completely different from the romanticism followed by her sisters, Emily Brontë and Charlotte Brontë. She wrote in a realistic, rather than a romantic style. Mainly because the re-publication of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall was prevented by Char ...more
“Then, you must fall each into your proper place. You'll do your business, and she, if she's worthy of you, will do hers; but it's your business to please yourself, and hers to please you.” 12 likes