Start by marking “The Chocolate Apothecary” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Apothecary

The Chocolate Apothecary

Christmas Livingstone has formulated 10 top rules for happiness by which she tries very hard to live. Nurturing the senses every day, doing what you love, sharing joy with others are some of the rules but the most important for her is no. 10 - absolutely no romantic relationships!

Her life is good now. Creating her enchantingly seductive shop, The Chocolate Apothecary, and
Published June 24th 2015 by Allen & Unwin (first published April 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Apothecary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Apothecary

Start your review of The Chocolate Apothecary
Phrynne
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
A light, easy, totally stress free read. You can see from the start what will happen and how it will end so there are no worries. Apart from the main character being called Christmas which irritated me more than it really should have!

I enjoyed the chocolate shop sections, the Paris part not so much. I wondered what happened to the story line of Christmas's father. Did I miss something? The characters of Lincoln, his nan and the cute dog held the whole book together for me.

Recommended as a
Suzanne
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won, aww, owned, aussie-author
Sometimes it’s nice to be immersed into a work of fiction where all the senses are tickled. The Chocolate Promise did this to mine, a really nice story to be swept away with over a couple of days – on holidays from my studies mind you, so I was a happy woman. It bought out all the 'girlie' in me, it was so nice!

The Tea Chest was another sweet read from this author, and I really think she has the knack of writing charming stories that appeal to readers, creative settings and clever crafts, in
Sharon
Leaving behind her busy life in Sydney, Christmas Livingstone heads back to her hometown of Evandale in Tasmania. It is here where she decides to set up a chocolate shop, The Chocolate Apothecary.

Christmas takes great pleasure in creating delicious homemade chocolates for those who drops into her shop. Christmas feels her life is going well. But it's about to become a whole lot better when she finds out her best friend, Emily has won for her a week long scholarship course with a world renowned
Dale Harcombe
Three and a half stars.
Sometimes as a reader, you don’t want something deep and meaningful and angst ridden. All you want from a book is a bit of fun and to be entertained, which was the way I approached The Chocolate Promise. There are so many books around that focus on the hard and traumatic aspects of life that it’s good to read something that doesn’t take itself seriously and that is filled with a joy for living.
The book starts with Christmas Livingstone’s Top 10 rules for happiness. While
Michael
While there is nothing wrong with a little light hearted entertainment in our reading, i do get the feeling on occasions that authors may over do it. The Chocolate Promise is a point in question with many feel good moments in a story that does it's best not to take itself seriously. This is counteracted though by moments that had me grinding my teeth and bewildering character choices.

The story centers on Christmas Livingstone, who having had herself burn't once in love has left Sydney for her
Andrea
I haven't read anything like this for a while, so it was a nice, sweet change of pace. There was really nothing challenging about it, unless you count the internal struggle I had in coming to terms with the main character's name, Christmas. If I wasn't concentrating hard enough, my brain would sometimes take me off on a Christian-Christmas tangent, before realising I was reading about character-Christmas. I enjoyed the Tasmanian setting, and of course, the chocolate.
Marianne
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Chocolate Promise is the second novel by Australian author, Josephine Moon. Christmas Livingstone is a busy woman! She owns The Chocolate Apothecary, the place to go in the little Tasmanian town of Evandale for chocolate, flowers and massage. She is also the Evandale Fairy Godmother, granting wishes to needy souls. She firmly believes that chocolate has medicinal properties, so when her best friend, Emily manages to win for Christmas a week-long scholarship with the world renowned ...more
Veronica ⭐️
After suffering a debilitating bout of depression Christmas moves back to her home town of Evandale, Tasmania. Here she happily lives her life by her ten rules of happiness. That is until Lincoln arrives in town and she has to remind herself of rule #10 absolutely no romantic relationships. Will Christmas take a chance on love even if it means breaking one of the rules that have served her well thus far?

The Chocolate Promise was a light-hearted read but the story was in no way fluffy it had
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

A sweet tale about love, friendship, family and chocolate, The Chocolate Promise is Josephine Moon's second novel.

Christmas Livingstone is doing what she loves, making and selling gourmet chocolate treats in her very own store, The Chocolate Apothecary, and spreading joy, helping those in need in her community. She has ten simple rules for happiness, all of which have helped her rebuild her life after fleeing heartbreak three years previously and she is determined to stick with them, even when
Anne Hamilton
Cadbury Roses chocolates.

That's what this book reminded me of. And not just because it's about chocolate. The thing about a Roses selection is that there are some flavours you like and some you don't and, if you're the last to pick from the box, the chances that your favourites are still there are next to nothing.

I'm a Caramello and Turkish Delight person myself. Most of the rest I find so-so and some I actively dislike.

And that same reaction was my experience of The Chocolate Promise. I felt
Bill Traves
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chocolate a great love story with timeless characters who leap off the page what's not to love? This is even better than the tea chest but like Josephine moons first novel is impossible to put down fun and very very readable (I read in one night I hadn't planned to it was just that good) It has two of my favourite places Tasmania and France and shows the author has done a lot on research on chocolate that magical ingredient that weaves throughout the books central love story between Christmas ...more
Margi
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read The Tea Chest by the same author and remember enjoying it. This book popped out at me as I was Easter shopping and was impressed by the book's lovely cover. This was a delightful, enjoyable and good read. The book was a pleasant mix of love, laughter, lovely characters and lastly some yummy chocolate making it very easy to read as I nibbled on a few Easter chocolates. I was after some feel good escapism and wasn't disappointed.
Han Le flueff
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely chocolatey chick novel. After reading this I really want to visit Tasmania!
Lesley
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as fantastic as The Tea Chest! Perfect little love story with a great bit of chocolate history thrown in, perfect weekend read
Lee
The one promise this book delivers is that of chocolate. There are lots of beautiful descriptions of making, eating, and drinking chocolate in this novel. The book should actually come with a warning for those of us trying to lose weight.

The promise of anything else, however…

Christmas (I probably wouldn’t have minded this name until I got the explanation of it near the end of the book which was quite pathetic given her mother’s behaviour throughout) wrote herself a list of rules to live by
Sally906

Last year I read Josephine Moon’s debut novel The Tea Chest and I really, really enjoyed it – THE CHOCOLATE PROMISE is even better – I loved it

Christmas left the hectic life of being a PR in Sydney and a broken heart and has moved to Tasmania. What prompted this move is not revealed at the start of the story but the past has been locked away where it can’t hurt anymore and now she has a new life making beautiful gourmet chocolate treats in her old-fashioned shop ‘The Chocolate Apothecary’. In
Kate
Josephine Moon's The Chocolate Promise is a delightful story about love, life and best of all - chocolate! Owner and founder of a artisan chocolate store in Tasmania, Christmas Livingston lives her life according to a set of rules she believes will help her live a happy life. With her career keeping her busy as well as being a fairy godmother to those in need, Christmas is too busy for love or other complications. When Lincoln, a handsome botanist, arrives on the scene, Christmas embraces the ...more
Amalia Gavea
A well-written "feel good"novel about second chances and the will and strength one must find to pursue their dreams. Charming descriptions and characters quirky enough to hold your interest, although there were times I shook my head in disappointment because of their childish actions. (view spoiler).

The Chocolate
Yvette Finley
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally write reviews but this book is too good! A friend who runs a bookstore gave me an advance copy thank you so much sue I would stock a lot of these it will sell like (chocolate) hot cakes !
Mouth wateringly good. I won't do it justice just read this it will warm your heart it did mine. I fell in love with the chocolate Evandale Paris (sigh!) Lincoln van luc who is a little bit cute (that bit had me in stitches) I never thought a botanist could be so sexy! Absolutely LOVE this book
Pamela Schoenwald
I absolutely loved this book I could not put it down from start to end. I had the privilege of being given an early copy and I felt like I was actually back in Tasmania while reading, it never lulled it was excitement and lovely and very interesting learning about chocolate as well as the lives of the people also - I really really loved it and would totally recommend it to any one who enjoys a Good read, Pamela. Well done to the Author Three Cheers and Five Stars.
Carmela
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful easy read, fiction woven with food. How can anyone not love a book with chocolate.
Theresa Smith
I decided on Good Friday that I was going to read a book about chocolate, seeing as it was the start of the Easter long weekend and I was already thinking about chocolate, even if it was in the form of eggs rather than something more gourmet. I have a few chocolate books waiting on my shelf to be read but I didn't really need to deliberate for long, the gorgeous cover of The Chocolate Promise by Josephine Moon, making my decision a relatively easy one.

From the first page to the last, I have been
Monique Mulligan
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any book with the word “chocolate” in the title is bound to catch the attention of chocolate-loving readers, and The Chocolate Promise by Josephine Moon did exactly that. Moon, who wrote international bestseller The Tea Chest, has delivered another sweet treat that hits the spot for escapist reading.

A tragedy has led Christmas Livingstone from the hectic PR world of Sydney to a quiet Tasmanian town, where she’s now the proprietor of a specialist chocolate shop called The Chocolate Apothecary.
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘The rules had served her well and kept her steady for the past three years.’

In this novel, Christmas Livingstone owns a shop called ‘The Chocolate Apothecary’, an artisan chocolate shop in Evandale, Tasmania. She creates mouth-watering delicacies, gifts to appeal to the senses. And, as many women know, chocolate is one of the most essential of all foods, with magical healing powers. Christmas has some good friends, a beautiful shop, and work that she loves. Life is good, could it be better?
Tarran
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. Christmas Livingstone is a quite complex character. We get to see her grow over the course of novel and I love all the chocolate facts the author includes. It was a very interesting read and I would love to see if in future books if the author might combine the characters of The Tea Chest and Chocolate Promise.

Due out April 2015 this is a great book to read!

Pre-order your copies today at Collins Booksellers Edwardstown
Kerrie Paterson
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning - this book will make you hungry and give you wanderlust! Great story, wonderful descriptions of food, Tasmania and France. Thoroughly enjoyed!
Rebekah Fahey
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loves this book. I want to eat at the Chocolate Apothecary! Great characters and an easy to read story.
Stephanie
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What could be better than indulging in reading about, thinking about and enjoying Chocolate. Wonderful story set in Tasmania & Provence
Melissa
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book a few weeks ago because I was looking for a light, positive read, and this book didn't disappoint.

This is the story of Christmas Livingstone, owner of The Chocolate Apothecary, in a small town of Tasmania. She has set herself 10 rules of happiness, including no romantic relationships. In walks Lincoln van Luc, who has the potential to interrupt her life.

Going between Tasmania and France, I really enjoyed this story. It was light, but with enough twists and turns to make it
Karen
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
****ARC Goodreads Giveaway****

Chocolate warning. Reading this book made me crave chocolate so badly. That may or may not have affected the rating I gave it. But I also loved how the characters were written. So many of them, even the minor ones who didn't feature greatly, were interesting to me. The story itself kept me engaged which surprised me because usually I find this genre of book not quite as interesting as some other genres. I also loved the writing style. Since I'm not very good at
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Carer
  • Table For Eight
  • The Pearl Thief
  • 488 Rules for Life
  • A Wedding at the Comfort Food Cafe (Comfort Food Cafe, #6)
  • On the Same Page
  • The Weekend
  • The Scent of You
Hello! I live in the Noosa hinterland in Australia and now have the great pleasure of writing warm-hearted, feel good, contemporary fiction books for a living. I am published in Australia, NZ, UK, Ireland, Norway, Greece and Germany. I'm so grateful to everyone who buys and reads my books. Thank you!