Start by marking “Wrong Place (D.I Sally Parker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wrong Place (D.I Sally Parker, #1)

Wrong Place

(D.I. Sally Parker #1)

The first book in a new series by M A Comley New York Times bestselling author of the Justice series.

DI Sally Parker has a serial killer on her patch. One thing that sets this killer apart from the others she's hunted before: his willingness to leave DNA at each of the crime scenes. It's up to Sally and her partner DS Jack Blackman to find out why before the body count
Published June 26th 2015 by Jeamel Publishing Limited (first published June 17th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Wrong Place, please sign up.
Kendra the page count in this book or ebook is 272 pages

Start your review of Wrong Place (D.I Sally Parker, #1)
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This is my first book ever read by Mel Comley, whom I know has oodles of books published and a huge fan base. I was eager to get my first taste. My most read genre are crime thrillers, usually those that involve a serial killer, I like my killers really dark. So in reading Wrong Place it was natural that I was comparing it to other crime thrillers with similar themes that I had read over the last year or two.

There were aspects of this book I really liked, some I loved and others that were
Rosangela

2 and 1/2

It's just an OK book.
I liked the first part of it. It grabbed my attention and was a very easy read.
Then, the second part happens and it's all rolls down to a "bad place".
My biggest issue with the second part of the story is just how unbelievable it is.
Lesley
not that impressed with this story, so disappointed that the author made the female police a victim that wouldn't press charges, I wasn't so sure I fell for the story of why the killer killed! please, get over it! And then there was the repeated conversation the police had with roommates/relatives EVERY time someone was found dead. And if any police every said "naked body" to someone I was advocating for, I would rip them apart.unfortunately for me I have book 2 all ready so I will probably read ...more
sue
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Mel Comley is a very good story teller, I have read her books on and off for years and this is an author that long ago had talent, she is still in there holding her own and there is no wondering why, its because, she is not a writer, she is an author, someone who can make a story live, someone who can bring the crime right into your sitting room along with the cast of characters.

DI Sally Parker is the new female lead in this series. I loved this DI, she was human, she had her own personal
Petra
Nov 02, 2015 added it
Shelves: audible, thrillers, dnf
No rating as I DNF.
I listened to the audio version for 2 hrs. I hardly ever give up on a book, but the narration was so substandard, I just couldn't go on. The intonation and emphasis on certain words were downright weird, there was some mispronunciation, the dialogue sounded overly stilted, it was like listening to a satire. Whenever someone was swearing, it made me laugh because it just sounded so unnatural.
The story actually seemed really interesting, and I thought I'd enjoy it. So I may go
Tammy
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-favorites
This was the first book I read from this author and it won't be my last. Very easy read, kept my interest throughout. Looking forward to what's next.
Kath
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a new series from Ms Comley so, like all good series, there is a fair amount of housekeeping, introducing the characters, setting the scene etc etc. There is also a fair amount of story and, as such, there is a LOT going on in this book. But it is never overwhelming.

As with all this author's books, I ditched my current read and went straight to it as soon as it landed on my Kindle as I knew I would simply devour it (and cos I am totally impatient!), and devour it I
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry, but this book was just not good. The best thing I can say about it is that it was a quick read.

The writing was awkward, there was virtually no suspense - even though this is a serial killer crime thriller.. None of the characters have any depth, and lots of secondary issues (the ex-husband, the parents' neighbours, the partner's home life) were brought in, but not given enough attention.

The book is about 50% dialogue and the dialogue just doesn't ring true. Again it's awkward and
Lisette Kristensen
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british-mystery
This is my third book, and the second in the Sally Parker series. Once again, Ms. Comley hits paydirt with a unique take on a serial killer, with a twisted ending. More importantly, is Ms. Comley's way of making her MC, real. Sally Parker is a tough lady but also with her own demons and weaknesses. That is what I enjoy reading, a female protagonist, that is not a cookie cutter but has loads of trouble around her that extend beyond the crime itself. It is that tightrope of personal v career that ...more
Noelle
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I was given this book as an ARC by the author in exchange for an honest review…so here it is!

In case I have not said this enough, the Justice series is one of my all time favourite series of books..and not because I am a character in Rough Justice (shameless plug for myself I know) but because Lorne and her team have a way of getting under your skin. So I was slightly worried when the author came out with a new series, new female lead, new team. But bloody hell I had no reason to worry as this
Shelves: fiction
I'm a big fan of this authors Lorne Simpkins Justice series so when I received an advanced copy of her new book which is the first book in the DI Sally Parker series I was over the moon but dare I say dubious at the same time.

Being a big fan of Lorne Simpkins I didn't know how I felt about a new strong leading female character in a new series by the same author and if I would constantly be comparing the two series against each other. I don't know why I worried though as Sally is a wonderful
Ted Tayler
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Almost perfect, but a few niggling doubts"

This has all the ingredients for the first book in a great series. The central characters are undeniably human and we can all identify with the lives they lead outside of the day to day business of being police officers. The killer is violent and resourceful. The plot is sufficiently different to keep us engaged from the outset. There were just a couple of things that prevented me from going to that fifth star. Firstly, the killings. The police
Zoey
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Possible the worst audio narration I have listened too. It was like she was trying too hard to properly pronounce every syllable of every word. It just sounded ridiculously stilted & fake, with odd pauses & weird emphasis on the wrong words.
The story itself wasnt too bad, maybe 3 & definitely 1 for the narration . I hung on until the end to find out who the "bad guy" was (and because I needed this book to count for a challenge) but it was a struggle.
Sadlam
Jul 19, 2015 added it
One of the worst books I've ever read. I only kept going because I'm doing this reading challenge and I spent a month reading something good! (Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.) The plot is ridiculous. The dialogue is worse.
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
Mel Comley never disappoints. Each time she publishes a new book I think and say to myself that it's her best to date. This time round I have to shout it to the world... Wrong Place is definitely Mel Comley's best book ever!

With Wrong Place, Mel starts a new crime thriller series featuring a DI that is as strong-headed, astute and likeable as Lorne Warner in her Justice series is.

Sally Parker is a Detective Inspector in Norfolk Constabulary. She has just separated from her abusive husband
Vicki - I Love Reading
Shelves: read-2015

Another brilliant book from this fantastic author.
I have to admit, I was a little dubious when starting this book, as I didn't know what to expect with it being a new series. I have read almost all Mel's other books, and those that have read my other reviews will know i'm a big fan of Lorne. And that I love the Justice Series.
So this is the first book in a new series and it kicks off brilliantly.
I should have known really that it wouldn't take me long to get into it and really start to like the
Sibel Hodge
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another fast-pace thriller by Mel Comley that you won't want to put down. If you love the Justice Series and Lorne, then you'll love the new DI Sally Parker case. Why would a killer want to leave their DNA at a crime scene? When the naked body of a barmaid is found in a church, it's up to Sally and her partner Jack to find out in a rollercoaster ride of a read.
Angela
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by Mel Comley and it certainly won't be my last . The book was written beautifully and I loved the short chapters . The book flowed easily from chapter to chapter without adding unnecessary bits here and there . Loved it . 5 stars from me
Courtney Pate
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not sure why I wasn’t into this book. At 123 pages I was excited for a quick read. It may be that it is written in UK English so I didn’t get all the references. I also thought the dialogue was a little wordy. I thought I had the killer figured out, but I was wrong, Which was a nice surprise.
Camille
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just read this free from Amazon. People always ask me if there are any decent free books in the sea of trash. I find so many! This was a long way from original, but it was fast and engaging. And free! Love the free ones.
Amanda
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS
I was given ARC of this book in exchange for an open & honest review.
Wrong Place is the first in a new series and features DI Sally Parker and her team.
The team has to deal with the murders of young women who are apparently unconnected. The young females are picked up in bars and then following a moment or two of passion, they are murdered. At first the case appears straight forward but there is one heck of a twist, which I am not going to reveal as I don't want to
Karsyn
Sep 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
I chose this only as a quick read for a challenge, so I wasn't expecting greatness, but I thought it would be a little better. The actual mystery was OK. It was definitely different and quite creepy when it all got sorted out. That was fine The MC however was pretty awful. She had no depth and what little she did was bad. For example, she had left an abusive husband. When he came around and attacked her again, she did NOTHING about it, yet again. Yet when her dog got kicked she sent that guy ...more
Mary
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Comley’s so it was a no-brainer that I would grab this up and, most likely, love this one too. And, of course, I absolutely loved it! What surprises me every time though is that I say to myself, “Wow! She’s really outdone herself this time. I don’t think she can top herself again.” But she just seems to, over and over and again.

This one was fun to get into, diving into a new series with a new lead DI, Sally Parker. She’s spunky and does what she needs to get the job done. She
Alexina
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an arc from the author for an honest review.

I have read some of M A Comley's Justice series and was looking forward to hearing about the new series.

I was slightly concerned that it would be Lorne in a different guise, although you can tell i is Mel's style of writing and we have another Sassy detective, they do have their own personalities.

I do like the partnership between Sally and Jack, they work well together with a tongue in cheek attitude as well as caring and looking out for
Victoria Goldman
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the first MA/Mel Comley book that I have read. Her other series is very popular, but I haven't found enough time to start it from the beginning. So I really wanted to read Wrong Place as this launches a new series. I thought the underlying plot was a good one - a man is raping women, killing them and leaving semen behind. Using DNA analysis should be an easy enough way to find the culprit, but as time progresses, and more murders are committed, it's clear that this isn't the case. There ...more
Claire
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! When you read a new series from a fantastic author like Mel Comley you know you're in for a treat. Two chapters in and I was hooked!

We are introduced to DI Sally Parker of the Norfolk police force, recently divorced from a nasty piece of work of a husband. Sally is faced with a case of the murder of a barmaid which soon turns into a killing spree, each murder slightly different but each with a key piece of evidence that should prove who the killer is.

I liked Sally instantly; she exudes
Teresa Nikolic
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I was sent an ARC of this from the author in exchange for an honest review. It's the first in a new series featuring DI Sally Parker and her sidekick DS Jack Blackman. I wondered how this would compare with the Justice Series featuring DI Lorne Simpkins, I was not disappointed and I do believe the lovely Lorne may have a rival in the best detective awards. The story, about a serial killer who appeared to leave his DNA on each of his victims, had me hooked from the beginning, but all was not as
Mary Johnson
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was delighted to receive a copy of this book for review and the first of a series to boot! A serial killing sicko may not spring to mind as good summer reading but Ms Comley manages to strike a balance of murderous intent with conversational style. An easy, chatty read that begins to build likeable characters that one can expect in future books. Enjoyable start to a series with potential.

This is the first book I've read by this author but it won't be the last! With a whole back catalogue to be
Wendy
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
This being (ashamedly) the first book I have read by this author, the fact it was the first in a series was a bonus. I loved the characters immediately, especially Sally, a no nonsense type of girl who I could see myself being friend with. The relationship between Sally and Jack is great and the banter between them is totally believable.
A fast paced easy read, can't wait for the next in the series and in the meantime I will go read more by this fantastic author. highly recommended.
Alan Cotterell
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Excellent

Another excellent story from this author. Completely different location and character for the Detective Inspector. Unusual to have a DI who can obviously do the job, but is not overly agressive, until needed. Fits in with the more relaxed rural setting rather than inner city policing. Will definitely read more of this series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Down in the Garden (DI Bethany Smith #2)
  • Red is the Colour (DI Bethany Smith #3)
  • How Skin Burns (DI Bethany Smith #4)
  • The Child in the Tree (DI Helena Stratton #3)
  • Cold is the Caller (DI Bethany Smith #1)
  • The Lady in the Street (DI Helena Stratton #2)
  • The Man in the House (DI Helena Stratton #1)
  • All The Bones (DI Tracy Collier #5)
  • All Their Sins (DI Tracy Collier #4)
  • All That Deceit (DI Tracy Collier #2)
  • All the Light (DI Tracy Collier #6)
  • All Her Fears (DI Tracy Collier #3)
  • Next Exit, Three Miles (Exit, #1)
  • All Those Lies (D.I. Tracy Collier #1)
  • Death is a Party (DI Bethany Smith #5)
  • His Last Breath: (DI Karen Heath Crime Series Book 2)
  • Two Victims (Detective Rachel King thrillers Book 2)
  • The Gift is Murder (DI Bethany Smith #6)
New York Times, USA Today, Amazon Top 20 bestselling author, iBooks top 5 bestselling and #2 bestselling author on Barnes and Noble. Over one million copies sold world wide. I am a British author who moved to France in 2002, and that's when I turned my hobby into a career.

When I'm not writing crime novels I'm either reading them or going on long walks with my rescue Labrador, Dex.

I hope you enjoy

D.I. Sally Parker (4 books)
  • No Hiding Place (D.I. Sally Parker, #2)
  • Cold Case (D.I. Sally Parker, #3)
  • Deadly Encounter (D.I. Sally Parker, #4)
“often as you” 0 likes