Start by marking “The Giggler Treatment” as Want to Read:
The Giggler Treatment

The Giggler Treatment

(Rover Adventures Trilogy)

What, you might well ask, is the Giggler Treatment? Better yet, what precisely is a Giggler? You won't find out until chapter 6 of Roddy Doyle's The Giggler Treatment, but for those of you who can't wait, here's the answer: Gigglers are "baby-sized and furry. Their fur changes color as they move." Their main occupation in life is to look after children and to punish adults ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Giggler Treatment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Giggler Treatment

Brad
Nov 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, humorous
The Giggler Treatment is all about poo.
So if you too are a fan of the poo,
Like I too am a fan of the poo,
Then Rover's pile is the poo for you.

If you're a bad Mom or a crabby Dad,
An adult who likes to make kids sad,
A nasty old vampire named Bloody Vlad
Or a President who won by a hanging chad.

If you're a grumpy Gus who yells and yells
A cook who always leaves in oyster shells,
Or a big old tattletale who always tells
You best be prepared for stinky smells.

Cause the Gigglers, they will not let
Peter Millett
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never seen children's comedy written this way before. It was a shock to the system and a guilty pleasure at the same time. If I could ever write a book one tenth as funny as this I would happily retire from writing tomorrow. If you don't wet your pants laughing at this tale then quickly go and see a doctor. Something could be wrong with your bladder.
Emily
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
My son and I giggled. We liked the seagull best.
Sue
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 5 year old is just starting to have an interest in chapter books and this one is a good one to start with! Some of the chapters are one page long. I also loved the explanation of differences between British and American English. And, of course, the poo jokes.
John of Canada
The most I have laughed that I can remember.There was a surprise in every chapter.Brilliant dialogue ,breathtaking suspense,talking dogs and babies,strange creatures.This book deserves every literary award there is.
Madeline
Cute story.

Recommended to me by a fellow reader.
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn (Nine Pages) by: History and Criticism of Children's Literature, A. LaFaye
Shelves: novels
First published on my blog, Nine Pages .

I was introduced to this story and to Roddy Doyle by A. LaFaye in a History and Criticism of Children’s Literature class at Hollins University. I fell in love with it perhaps almost instantaneously, opening its package at the dinner table and promptly passing it around or reading the back cover’s blurb aloud (I forget which). I read it before class, then for class, and several times since term ended (two years ago, but it never feels that long ago).

The st
Angela
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My lad and I loved his story - what could be more fun than getting revenge on mean grownups by making them step in ginormous piles of poo. And Rover is awesome - one of the best dog characters in kids' books that I've encountered. Highly recommended for young readers and their parents alike.
Niamh Ennis
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the humour and the fact that this book tries to preempt the likely questions of the children (and adults) reading it. I especially love the background of the Gigglers and the Mack family.
Coreena McBurnie
I personally love Roddy Doyle's novels. The Irish author normally writes adult fiction, so when I ran across The Giggler Treatment, I scooped it up for my seven year old son. That night, I started reading it to him and, well, let's just say the humour was right up his alley. The story had both of us laughing our heads off. This is a story that he was quite capable of reading himself, but we could not resist the fun of reading it together. It is the first in a trilogy called “The Rover Adventures ...more
Dolly
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
This is the first book in the Rover Adventures Trilogy by Roddy Doyle. We recently read Rover Saves Christmas, not realizing that it was the second book in the trilogy. So, of course, we had to borrow this book from our local library, too.

This story is even better, with an impeccable sense of comic timing and enough potty humor to entertain elementary school-age children. The narrative is so much fun to read aloud, especially with the crazy chapter titles.

We really enjoyed reading this book tog
smalls
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mings kids and Stephanies kids
I learned that if adults do not treat kids fairly or kindly, they will step in a big hot steaming, squishy pile of pooh.

I really like this book and the idea behind it. But I wish they would have made the childrens behavior a little less. If my kids had broken my window the same way for the fifth time in a row, I would have done the same thing as poor Mr. Mack. And then some.

I would have liked it 100% if they were being punished for something trivial, or something they didn't even do. Such as n
Kate Hastings
Grades K-2. RL 500. The next time you step in poo-- it's time to consider how you've been treating your children recently. Because the Gigglers look out for children. Whenever an adult treats them unfairly, the Gigglers give the the "treatment" by planting poo in their path. And that's what happens to poor Mr. Mack, the kindly cookie taster. After a bad day listening to the uninteresting Cream Crackers, he is looking forward to his favorite day. But the poo could ruin it all-- unless the dog and ...more
Duane
Oct 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
I want to say first that I think if I was between the ages of 7 & 10 and a boy, I'd probably have enjoyed this book a lot more. The book is based on "potty" humor so go from there. Gigglers are little creatures that punish adults who are unjust or mean to children. The entire book is based on a pile of dog "doo" and the process of getting a father to step into it. You can go from there pretty much on your own.
Colm O'brien
Roddy Doyle, a fantastic adult humour writer takes a brave turn and delves into the world of childrens books.
The Giggler Treatment tells the story of the gigglers who are creatures who put 'poo' under the shoes of naughty adults. Doyles wry humour is evident from the start and even adults will find times wo laugh at his expert wit. The book is suitable for children aged between 11 and 14.
Sonja ✧ Badass Wanderer ✧
If I recollect correctly this was quite a funny novel. . . :)
Kyra
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the FUNNIEST book I have and will ever read.This story involves talking cream crackers, a dog that e-mails his girlfriend regularly and uses a toilet, and of course POO.
Thomas
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a style reminiscent of Terry Pratchett's Truckers or Gaiman's Fortunately the Milk, The Giggler Treatment basically tells the very long version of a very funny joke - a man falsely accused of mistreating his children by the Gigglers is inches away from standing in an epic dog poop they have positioned carefully in his path. A dangerous gambit and a hopeful title if you want to make people laugh, but for most of this poo-themed jaunt, Roddy Doyle is up to the task. There's even a hint of Mil ...more
Dave
A book that allows you to say the word poo many many times. You might think that this would become tiresome, but the story is well thought out and quite funny. It's about little fairies or gnomes or something that pay a dog for his dog poo in order to punish adults who are mean to their children by planting the poo directly in their path so they will step in it. Hard to believe you could write an entire book on this premise, but amazingly the author pulls it off. British humour. Quite funny and ...more
Amanda Cram
This was a silly book. I didn't think it was that great, but my 8 and 10 year old boys thought it was funny. It is a quick read, I read it in about 30-40 minutes. A fun book when you are looking for silly. The word poo appears at least 200 times in this book, just FYI. Which I am sure is part of why my boys thought it was so funny. I would read other books from the author.
Beth Ahimsa
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love funny kids books, but I didn't get many laughs with this book, and I couldn't wait to finish reading it aloud (to my 8 year old). My 8 year old liked it, but wasn't engrossed in it like he has been with other books.
Nicole Hinton
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
One of my very favourite readalouds for my elementary students - to shock them with a silly story that despite having a narrative throughline, also jumps all over the place...wonderful. Also, So. Many. Poop references. A winner in my library for sure!
Mike
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-d-d
This is an AWESOME book to read to young kids (mine are eight years old). It's silly in a smart way that makes it fun to read, but silly nonetheless (and a significant part of the plot involves dog poo) which makes my boys crack up.
Emma Radford
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny. My 7yo loved reading this!
Tyler Jones
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hilarious. Doyle's sense of the absurd matches a child's (that was meant as a complement), which I know from watching my niece and nephew howl with laughter when they read this.
Anthony Fitzpatrick
Cute. Adorable. Funny. A very enjoyable children's book for boys and girls. A sure classic.
Lori
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-chapter
Crude and very amusing.
Theresa Joule
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read, it's hilarious. Highly recommended if you are looking for a good laugh and a great time (no matter how old you are, seriously).
Carrie
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy, childrens, dogs
Just utter silliness.
Alex
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
funny, cute...kids got a kick out of it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Gefühltes Wissen
  • Horrible Harry at Halloween
  • L'abbraccio
  • Everyone Else's Parents Said Yes
  • Dog
  • My Immortal
  • War and XPs (The Order of the Stick, #3)
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Gooseberry Park
  • Almost Starring Skinnybones
  • The Whales' Song
  • The Evil Elves (Moongobble and Me #3)
  • The Cat on the Mat Is Flat
  • The Dunderheads
  • Bunny Cakes
  • The Return of the Killer Cat (The Killer Cat, #2)
  • The Pepins and Their Problems
  • Peanuts: A Golden Celebration: The Art and Story of The World's Best-Loved Comic Strip
Roddy Doyle (Irish: Ruaidhrí Ó Dúill) is an Irish novelist, dramatist and screenwriter. Several of his books have been made into successful films, beginning with The Commitments in 1991. He won the Booker Prize in 1993.

Doyle grew up in Kilbarrack, Dublin. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from University College, Dublin. He spent several years as an English and geography teacher before becoming

Rover Adventures Trilogy (3 books)
  • Rover Saves Christmas