Start by marking “The Farm” as Want to Read:
The Farm

The Farm

One farm. Two tragedies, thirty years apart. And a tortured figure whose presence connects both incidents... In 1979, the Bondalen family farm in Norway is home to three young girls. As winter fades to spring, Elizabeth, Kari and Sara each come to face the secrets of the barn, and they each emerge with their own injuries. But someone else is lurking nearby, a man who claim ...more
Published May 1st 2015 by Dark Season Books

To ask other readers questions about The Farm, please sign up.

Marie
This was a fast paced haunted tale and a quick read of an abandoned farm in Norway.

Set in 1979, three sisters, Elizabeth, Kari, and Sara are living their lives on a farm with their parents. The youngest sister, Sara along with her sister Kari, find a dead body floating in a stream not far from their house. From then on, life will never be the same for the three sisters. Sara befriends a man that calls himself "Death" who is responsible for missing bodies in the area. Little does she know that b
Angel Gelique
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Here is another story with chapters that alternate between different perspectives and time periods. In 1979, an eight-year-old Norwegian girl named Sara Olesun finds a body in the river. While her older sister leaves to get help, Sara meets Death--or, at least, a man who claims to be Death. It isn't long before tragedy strikes Sara and her two sisters.

Years later, in the present day, John Ridley buys a farm in Norway. He and his teen-aged daughter, Paula, move into the same house once o
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
The few books I've read by Cross haven't been "sleep with the lights on scary" but she can write a creepy, atmospheric ghost story that reels you in from page one and doesn't let up until the end.

I had originally planned on rating this 5 stars but after pondering over the couple of issues I had with it, I felt like 4 stars was more appropriate. The first thing that bothered me was that we were given the impression that Paula is a child, maybe very young teenager, still enrolled in school, yet t
Aly
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The farm was not a bad book. I was not scared and I was hoping it would be for me. The end of the book, the thing in the barn, that was a good twist for me. I did not expect that at all. The ending was a little sad for me. Overall, I was hoping for more out of this book but it wasn't bad just wanted to be scared more.
Alisha
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This would have been 4 stars for me if it wasn’t for the mc and all the cussing. I don’t mind cuss words but it felt unnecessary for it to be every other word especially from a teenage character.
Shaina
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, borrowed, kindle
Way too much use of the word "gd" and cursing from the main character who was supposed to be the innocent teenage daughter. 3.5 stars. A story like this was disturbing enough to not need that every sentence. Good grief. And why that? Just say damn. Or, hey, just be more articulate than that OR even just talk like a normal teenager and not a sailor. Here she was a teenager and her father didn't curse hardly or say anything to her about her mouth. What?
It was almost a DNF but I enjoy this author's
Suzy Michael
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
"One farm, two tragedies, 30 years apart."

This was my first book by author Amy Cross and I was not disappointed! The story takes place in Norway during 1979 and present day. It begins with the murder of 3 sisters on the farm. The property sets vacant until the present when a widower and his teenage daughter move in. And eerie occurances ensues to a possible deadly level.
With a fantastic atmosphere and engaging, empathetic characters, this book delivers with a remake of the classic haunted house
Kay Oliver
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Oh how badly I wanted to like this more than I did... This book took forever to grab my attention and even when it did it wasn't by much. I hated the characters, they made the novel as a whole feel more like a YA than an adult horroir novel. I had to add an extra star though because it's Amy Cross and she's my favorite and this is the first of many I've read of her works that I didn't absolutely love.
Luciano
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was an O.K. read. There were some really good parts and a lot of really bad parts. Unfortunately, the bad parts eclipsed the good. A good book always stands on the pillar of its characters. In this case, the two main characters are very easy to dislike; mainly because their behavior is such that it's very easy to lose respect for them.

Paula, is a pill to put it mildly. She's a smart ass, intrusive, impulsive and especially disrespectful. Maybe because I'm not a Millennial and was born in an
Tom Stretton
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars.

This is the second book I've read by Amy Cross and I have enjoyed both. The first, 'Stephen', had a more disturbing theme whereas this one was a more conventional ghost story with the classic tortured souls caught between the living and the dead due to their unfinished business with the living.

The story isn't quite gripping but it certainly kept my interest and the author at time had me in minus 30 degree, snow ravaged Norway on a farm that held many torturous secrets spanning decades
Emily Crow
Creepy and a bit gruesome; perfect Halloween time reading. As a bonus, it takes place in Norway in winter, and I have always been a bit fascinated/appalled by the extreme northern climate. Just dealing with all that snow and ice is a horror story all by itself (which is why I refuse to visit my parents in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan anytime between November and April, although that has nothing to do with the story. Nor does their house appear to be haunted.) Anyway, another hit for Amy Cross ...more
Jenelle
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
In October, I read horror stories. This one was a spooky read, with a fun setting and enough mystery to keep me wondering.
Cindy S
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Teenager Paula Ridley was not happy that her father, John, had uprooted her from their comfortable home in London and taken her to a deserted farm in Norway to start a new life. She knew that it was a result of losing her mother two years earlier, but Norway, and a farm at that. They knew nothing about farming, for heaven's sake. Surely, he would give up and take her home before long! Soon, however, she would encounter a ghost haunting the farm, which she found exciting. At least until it attack ...more
Charlotte
This reminded me so much of the Point Horror books I used to read as a kid - just upgraded for an adult audience with a smattering of quite graphic violence. Good little easy read, various twists in the plot and, if you can suspend disbelief, great fun if you just go with it.

It was a free kindle purchase, so my expectations are slightly lower, but an absolute bugbear of mine is errors in the text as they yank me out of the story. I picked out a good eight or so (eg. ‘how to move his any part of
Kim
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
Setting: Norway - 1950, 1979, present day. Paula's father moves them from London and buys an isolated farm in Norway to start a new life. The farm was a bargain price - Paula soon finds that this was because the three girls of the previous occupants were murdered there in 1979. But, far from being horrified, Paula finds the whole situation 'cool' and is hoping to see the ghosts of the girls to prove to herself that ghosts really exist. In a series of chapters switching from present day back to 1 ...more
Wendy
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting concept, but...

I struggled to get into this book. The premise is interesting and I liked the way the past was interwoven with the present but it’s was still a bit of a drag for me. The characters were a little rough too. Paula was whiny and the Sara just needed her butt busted.
Eduardo Razo Tobias
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
It was good, but needs some editing

I like the story, but something need to be change. Like the scene of the ghost in the forest and also the form of the creature. I dont want to give too much about the story, but once you get to those parts of the book, you will know what I mean.
tena carpenter
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book

I love the fact she closed the story of the farm. It was well written. The book has an ending. She left the opportunity to work on another book with the like entity in another location in case the story developed for her. Nevertheless, this book did not leave you hanging. I do recommend this book.
Marie Beveridge
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Weird, but readable.

Got this as a freebie, I don't know that I would have spent money on it, but. putting credibility aside, rather enjoyed it. If you are in the mood for a bit of an easy read, give it a go!!! If you want something deep and meaningful, that will make you think and is memorable don't bother!!
Terry Mayou
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great story

Although this one lacks some of Amy's infamous twists and turns, it's still a page turner. I love Amy's imagination ... but dang ... she really needs a proof reader. The typos are so bad, at times you have to re-read the entire paragraph to try to figure out what's going on ... and with whom. But her storylines keep me coming back for more.
Alan
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This was the third book of Cross's I read. Like the previous two, I was quite enjoying it for a good 65-75%. But just like those other books, the story went off the rails about that point and had a somewhat unsatisfactory ending. It seems her pattern is to crank along and just lose it towards the end of the story, rushing because she doesn't quite know how to end it well.
Marjorie
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Amy Cross can keep you clued to each passing page.

I really enjoyed the book. It shifts to different times yet easy to follow. All characters all have the barn to the them together.
John Morris
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

What an imagination Amy Cross must have in order to write a book such as this. Old Norse gods, ghosts, psychotic power crazed locals, a naïve widower and a down to earth girl from London. Mix them up, stir well and read a masterful tale.
Sally
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a creepy story

I just wanted to keep reading to see what happened next! There was quite the twist i never saw coming. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves ghost stories or creepy things! I am definitely going to read more books by Amy Cross!
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Don’t waste your time on this one

Sorry Ms. Cross, The Farm was a stinker. Poorly conceived, completely unbelievable characterizations, continuity and spelling errors, predictable plot. Norse god as The Blob? Shouldn’t have even finished it.
Anna Russell
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW what a story! What is "living" in the barn on The Farm"! What kind of evil lurks? What is the town hiding? Are ghosts real? What is it that holds power over the people it chooses? Can "it" be stopped? For the answers to these questions, read "The Farm". A wonderfully creepy story!
Julie Rein
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Paranormal at it's best!

Another creepy scary paranormal adventure! Amy Cross does paranormal adventures that will creep you gout scare you silly but you can't stop reading cuz you have to find out what happens next
Randi
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was really good. there are many strange things going on in a small town in Norway. This story kept me guessing. Just when I thought I had something figured out a new angle emerged. The auther is hit or miss with me but this one was a good read.
Eunice J
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So loved this book! A mysterious story of a farm, its inhabitants, and how their paths cross. Great descriptions and visuals. Could totally see this book as a movie. An ideal story to cuddle up with.
Pat lykens
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Book was a good read. It's suspense is intense. Hold a reader to its last moment of restrained starting over again when it's thoughts return. The r

reason for this book to me, I like a good horror/ mystery novel. This seem to be one of the best in along while.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Doubles
  • The Clinic
  • Crawlspace
  • Disturb Not The Dream
  • The Last Refuge
  • The Ice Cage
  • The Scarecrow (Solom #1)
  • The Spirit Box (John Hazard, #1)
  • The God Killers
  • Sing Me To Sleep
  • Abra-Cadaver
  • The Picture Frame
  • Winterlude (Officer Gunnhilder, #2.5)
  • The Seance in Apartment 10
  • Kaivos
  • Flypaper
  • Malicious
  • The Dark Stuff
Amy Cross writes novels and short stories in a number of genres, mainly horror, paranormal and fantasy. Books include The Farm, Annie's Room, The Island, Eli's Town and Asylum.
“I did locate her eyeballs, they were in another part of her body,” 1 likes
“a group of like-minded men got together and decided to set up a facility that can operate free of the state's restraints.” 0 likes