Start by marking “Halibut, Herring and You: Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Halibut, Herring and You: Short Stories

Halibut, Herring and You: Short Stories

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  7 ratings  ·  3 reviews
A collection of fantasy and sci-fi stories from author and blogger Carla Billinghurst.

Sometimes dark, sometimes tragic and sometimes just hilarious, she brings you stories about our uneasy relationship with nature, about star-crossed lovers a long way from Earth and about the endless absurdities of life as a human.

“My favourite and beloved piece is Counting... it's
Published May 1st 2015 by Carla Billinghurst

To ask other readers questions about Halibut, Herring and You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halibut, Herring and You

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Halibut, Herring and You: Short Stories
N.N. Light
This is a fantastic collection of fairy tales, fantasy and science fiction short stories. Carla is a talented writer and her stories reminded me of Roald Dahl. I loved her take on the Zombie Apocalypse infiltrating the Australian Bush. Her fairy tales are modern yet a valuable lesson is hidden underneath fleshed out characters and outrageous circumstances. Here is my summary on each story:

Halibut, Herring and You - My favorite story in this collection. Take one penguin trying to fit in amongst
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Halibut, Herring and You: Short Stories by Carla Billinghurst is a very highly recommended (and very short) collection of short stories.

I enjoyed this collection of short stories, several of which are interconnected, immensley. Billinghurst's writing is entertaining, humorous, thought provoking and sometimes irreverent. There is a taste of fables, fantasy and science fiction in the selections. My favorite stories were probably the titular story, all The Usual Precautions variations, Fire, both
Les
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book so I could give an honest review.

This is a very eclectic collection of stories. The subjects are quite varied. Some are long, some are just a couple of pages. Some of the stories are connected so that they seem almost serialized. Each of them is some combination of funny, absurd, poignant and tragic. One in particular seemed to combine all of these.

The only drawback (for me) was that, in a few stories, she used the same names and
Ally Bevan
Nov 11, 2017
Carla Billinghurst
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Dec 16, 2017