Start by marking “Prince of the Playhouse (Love in Laguna, #3)” as Want to Read:
Prince of the Playhouse (Love in Laguna, #3)

Prince of the Playhouse

(Love in Laguna #3)

Driven by his desire to become a successful fashion designer and concerned with hiding his questionable past, Ru Maitland lets his obsession with action movie star Gray Anson on the big screen replace his social life. Then obsession and reality collide when Ru is asked to design fashion costumes for a special performance of Hamlet at the Playhouse in Laguna starring none o ...more
Published April 4th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Prince of the Playhouse, please sign up.
Angela Goodrich I stopped accessing Goodreads on my Kindle Fire AND my phone because I discovered that I had rated several books by accident when the screen would…moreI stopped accessing Goodreads on my Kindle Fire AND my phone because I discovered that I had rated several books by accident when the screen would jump. I was mortified when I discovered that I had rated a book of an author I love at 2-stars. Several of my co-reviewers have experienced the same thing. So some of the ratings are likely accidental. (less)

Karen
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have waited for Ru's story since the beginning...

Book one of this series was Shaz and Billy's story but it also introduced us to Ru Maitland designer extraordinaire and best friend to Shaz. So you know he's going to be over the top and he was...delightfully so for me.

One of the best things about this story was that everything was pretty much over the top and I not only expected it to be. I wanted it that way. The author has given me an over the top MC in the person of Ru so if he's over the
Catherine
*** 2.5 Stars ***

Not a bad book, but I found the near constant talk of boners incredibly irritating and the ending WAY too over the top for my personal tastes.
CrabbyPatty
3.5 stars. When I started reading Prince of the Playhouse, I loved the set-up. A fashion designer madly in love with an action hero actor, who just happens to be stretching his artistic wings by doing a week in the role of Hamlet at the Laguna Playhouse. There are hints that Gray Anson may not be all he is cracked up to be, while there are a few tantalizing glimpses into Ru’s background – he does seem to know his way around a knife …

But as the book progressed, I found the story just didn’t do it
Chelsea
3 Hearts!

Audiobook review

This book was better than I was expecting. Celebrities are a pretty tricky sub-genre to make work, especially ones where the main character isn’t able/doesn’t want to come out. After hearing a few other people's opinions on the book, I thought all the ‘expected’ drama was handled much better than I was expecting, however it definitely wasn’t one of the best celebrity stories I’ve read.

First let me touch on the narration, as this is meant to be an audiobook review :-P. K
namericanwordcat
Sometimes Tara Lain's books work for me and sometimes they don't because of something in the tone that makes me not like the leads or trust the love story. The love seems rushed and shallow here so this one didn't work for me.
Ula'ndi Hart
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Overall book rating: 3.8
Audio Book: K.C. Kelly (Narrator) 4
Book Cover: 3.5

A little on the drawn out side with Grey and his situation. But understanding all and all. Not my favourite of the series but a good read.
Aerin
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, part-of-a-series, m-m

I've been looking forward to Ru's story ever since I first met him, because I have a certain weakness for flaming, artistic types and Ru is definitely that. One thing I can say with 100% certainty is that Ru didn't disappoint at all! The other main character, Gray Anson, is who I had big problems with; his behavior was disappointing and infuriating, and I wanted someone else for Ru because Ru deserved better than being someone's dirty little secret.

The writing was great, I can't compla
Lorraine Lesar
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The “Queen of Love Dreams” (Tara Lain) reigned majestically in this her latest offering, she waved her sceptre and produced magic: magical reading. This was so special and I loved every word.
She gave us, her loyal reading subjects, everything that we could possibly want – Ru Maitland, fashion, sex, gangland culture, Shazam and Shaz, a Hollywood idol, Hamlet (yep, I said Hamlet) and drama, drama, drama!!!

Gray Anson is an A-lister Hollywood movie star, he has the looks, the money, the trophy girlf
Dutchgirl
This is the third book in the Laguna serie, and i loved it.
It has everything you want, the romance between Ru and Gray is the main focus but the crime-story in this book is great and definitely kept me on the edge of my seat.

Ru is an up and coming fashion designer and he has a bit of a dark past but he has left that past behing him (or so he thinks), he also has a big crush on the biggest action movie star Gray Anson. When Ru is asked to design the clothes for a Hamlet performance he meets his
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.9 Stars

Wow, that was packed full of some OTT action there at the end! I mean, I know we're teased with hints about Ru's gang background but I didn't expect it to explode that like, in the public eye, when we already have such an angsty, down-low actor hiding his sexuality plot.

BUT I did love Gray's parents; his mom is one of those characters that you expect to be a stereotype and she so very, very much is not...and that's a welcome relief. Sometimes you just want a mom that really does love un
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 highly anticipated stars

I've been on the lookout for Prince of the Playhouse since I finished Knave of Broken Hearts, and was ecstatic to be offered the opportunity to review. Prince of the Playhouse didn't disappoint- instead of devouring it, I savored it over the course of several days.

We finally get Laguna's resident fashion designer's story. We readers thought we knew Ru Maitland, but we hadn't even scratched the surface.
Lisa The Novel Approach
Listen, guys…this review is a tough one to write. If I were to focus only on the things I liked about this book, my assessment would be woefully short. While there were a handful of positives, the issues I had with the story almost entirely eclipsed the things that did work for me. So even though it’s difficult, as always, I’m gonna give it to you straight.

I loved Ru in Knight of Ocean Avenue, the first of the Love in Laguna books. He was charming and fiercely loyal as Shaz’s best friend, and I
Brandee (un)Conventional Bookworms
*4.5 Stars*
Prince of the Playhouse may be my favorite of this series so far! I've always been fond of Ru and getting to know his backstory was enlightening. Watching him get his man...exciting! Those two things mixed with a hunky action-movie hero, some suspense, and Shakespeare made for an excellent read!

I first met Ru in Knight of Ocean Avenue. His creativity was apparent as was his love and loyalty towards his friends. But we didn't get a deeper understanding until now - where it's obvious
Diverse
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: april2016reads
This series is my favorite of Tara Lain’s. I always look forward to a new book in this series. Prince of the Playhouse is outstanding. Ru is so much more than he seems just by looking at him… and it turns out Gray Anson is too. These are two men hiding from the things that made them. Both running from something and while they are running the crash into each other and fall in love. There’s some mystery to this tale of star crossed lovers. Both have to come to terms with their own pasts and reali ...more
Jodi Ciorciari-marinich
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is another great story from Tara. Love her stories and her writing style. This one is book 3 in her Laguana series. It is Ru's story. Loved it. Ru is a great character , he had a hard life but rose above it and is trying to become a fashion designer. Enter his ultimate crush Gray , a famous and as far as Ru knows straight action hero. Grey isnt as straight as everyone thinks. these two men thru some trails come together and some funny and tension filed moments fall in love. Grey has to come ...more
Nerea
Apr 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry, but this book is a NO for me :( When you already assume that is a bit surreal you get another big nonsense in the plot so *rolleyes* again and again.

Ru is a cute character, except that really hard obsession for an actor… but Gray? Mmm, I think is very difficult to like him. Is a billionaire closeted actor and when he founds the love (instalove alert) he ask him to be his dirty secret… yeah while he continues dating women that he didn't like :/
As I say not my cup of tea ~
Justin Nova
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5. Loved Ru but I never really warmed up to Gray. It was much much better overall than the second book of the series, however.
Leaundra
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked Gray and so glad that him and Ru finally got it right.
Tamara

I can't say I really enjoyed this book, nor that I particularly hated it.
I had trouble feeling the MCs relationship. Seems like the only explanation we got for how they insta-fell in love was "I'm not sure how, I'm not sure when, but it happened", and I wasn't feeling the chemistry at all. Consequentially I was just mildly annoyed (and at times slightly bored) by the drama and the lying and the angst.
Alexis Woods
Love this series. I read this slightly out of order (4 before 3) but other than knowing they sure a sure deal didn't affect my enjoyment.
Rick
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this series Period! Not a foot wrong by Tara Lain.

I look forward to more

Happy Reading
Morgan  Skye
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-reads, 2016
Loved this so much!
This is book three in the series Love in Laguna and I highly recommend reading all three in order to really appreciate this book – though technically it can be read as a standalone.

Ru is Shaz’ BFF and assistant. Now that Shaz is moving up in the world, Ru is taking his turn to really shine his own light.

Ru has never been shy about his willingness and desire for sex – without strings – but he’s not a player. In fact, he’s more of a homebody than anything else.

He’s had a terribl
Emily Seelye
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think Ms Lain is a mistress of the pen. She knows how to inject just enough drama and angst into her stories without weighing them down. Here, you have two men with secrets. Both have potential to damage their careers, but Ru's could go even further and ruin his life. Gray confesses his secret to Ru, but Ru is scared to admit his. Unfortunately, his comes out in the worst way - Exposed by a dirty cop. Fortunately, Gray ends up being supportive and the men come out even stronger in the end.

I j
Calila
I loved this. Ru was a great, I loved how sure of himself he was. I even liked how he stood up for himself and didn't want to be a "dirty little secret", even if he caved. At the same time I liked Gray, and you really get why he is stuck in the place he's stuck in. But dude, grow a pair. I think there were a lot of characters, that maybe weren't all needed. I could've done without the whole Ru's past aspect, it didn't really add conflict or real angst. I think I'd like to see Merle and Bernardo ...more
Raj
May 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have never struggled to complete a book as much as I have found myself doing with this one.Ru one of the main characters simply confounded me.I'm unsure whether he was a thug pretending to be an over the top *fem* or a *fem* masquerading as a thug.Instead of staying strong & true to one character at times he switched between them to suit his needs.I found neither personas compelling & the story lacked the depth & complexity to make it pop for me.
✼Danielle✼
Ru & Gray

Listen June 2016

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookviews
Prince of the Playhouse exceeded all my expectations, even if they were extremely high! I loved Ru from the first time I met him, and seeing him unfold his wings and soar was beautiful!

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews

One of the things I love about Tara Lain's novels is that even if there are homophobes in the world, there is always one or two people close to the main characters who love them no matter what! Prince of the Playhouse was a wonderful tale, and I enjo
Susan
Nov 30, 2017 marked it as started-reading  ·  review of another edition
The Audiobook:
I can't do it. I did actually make it about half way, but I can't keep listening... the narrator, K.C. Kelly is fine in terms of skill but from the start I wasn't crazy about his voice for this book and especially Ru. I've been looking forward to Ru's book since meeting him in Knight and this is decreasing my enjoyment. (I read Knight and Knave, haven't read Prince and this is my first audiobook from this series (and narrator).)

I'm uneasy when narrators do lispy voices for gay char
Jane (PS)
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whilst completely unrealistic, this '#1 blockbuster action star meets queeny fashionista' romance is a lot of fun. Ru is OTT and out-there; Gray is full-on closeted but dead lonely. Throw in the papparazzi, some beards and a play, and of course there's a story! (Loved the church scene.)
Angela Goodrich
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Tara Lain is a new-to-me author. Until the review opportunity came up for Prince of the Playhouse, I’d never read any of her writing despite owning Knight of Ocean Avenue. While my co-reviewer assured me that I could read this one as a standalone, she recommended that I read the previous books first because there is a lot of character crossover from one book to the next, and that they were well worth the read if I could fit
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hanging The Stars (Half Moon Bay #2)
  • There's Something About Ari (Bluewater Bay, #2)
  • The Imperfection of Swans
  • Fusion (North Star #2)
  • Pins and Needles
  • Put a Ring on It (Ready or Knot, #1)
  • Enjoy the Dance (Dancing, #2)
  • How to Wish Upon a Star (Howl at the Moon, #3)
  • fawn
  • Lickety Split
  • The Right Words (Right and Wrong, #1)
  • When the Dust Settles (Timing, #3)
  • How to Raise an Honest Rabbit (Granby Knitting, #2)
  • A Matter of When
  • The Queen & the Homo Jock King (At First Sight, #2)
  • Second Act
  • Acting Out (Hollywood #2)
  • Cover Up (Toronto Tales, #2)
Tara Lain never met a beautiful boy she didn’t love – at least on paper. A writer of erotic romance, mostly ménage and male/male, Tara loves all her characters, but especially her handsome heroes. A lifelong writer of serious non-fiction, Tara had the first novel she ever wrote accepted for publication in 2011. She’s now on book 45 and counting. After an exotic life of travel all over the world an ...more

Love in Laguna (5 books)
  • Knight of Ocean Avenue (Love in Laguna, #1)
  • Knave of Broken Hearts (Love in Laguna, #2)
  • Lord of a Thousand Steps (Love in Laguna, #4)
  • Fool of Main Beach (Love in Laguna, #5)