Start by marking “Old Dog, New Tricks (Black Dog, #4)” as Want to Read:
Old Dog, New Tricks (Black Dog, #4)

Old Dog, New Tricks

(Black Dog #4)

Black Dog, Book 4

While Thierry is away, the Morrigan will play. Snatching the crown from her daughter-in-law’s head wasn’t the motherly thing to do, but Thierry doesn’t mind trading the throne in Faerie for the ratty couch in her Texas apartment. The old crow is welcome to it. But ruling one world is not enough. The Morrigan wants an all-access pass to the mortal realm to
Published July 30th 2015 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Old Dog, New Tricks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Dog, New Tricks

Douglas Meeks
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well this 4th book pretty much ends the Black Dog part of this series (but not the end of stories in this world) and it was done very well I thought with nothing really left hanging.

Once again Thierry is at odds with the Morrigan, this is a bit of "save the world" plot which sometimes is overly dramatic and boring but this was not the case here thankfully and while it does not sit in the forefront of the motivation it is in the background of the plot.

In the paranormal genre of urban fantasy you
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
My Thoughts On The Book:

The Plot Of The Story:
And so we have reached the end of the Black Dog series, and I am totally gutted about it as there was so much potential for the story to carry forward.... yes, I have heard about the series Hailey Edwards is putting together based around Mai and I am excited about it but I'm afraid it won't be the same.
In this final book Thierry has to step up to the pate and defend her unwanted ruling title among the Fae against the Morrigan, her errant mother-in-l
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
~ 4 Old Dog, New Tricks Stars ~

Old Dog, New Tricks is book four in the Black Dog series by Haliley Edwards. This ends the Black Dog part of the series and it was done nicely.

The Black Dog series is one you must read in order to get the full plot and characters. Thierry was left in a bind from the last book Lie Down with Dogs. Her dad is back, her Fae husband is captured, and now she must go into fairy to save earth realm from the death Goddess Morrigan. Being the Black Dog’s daughter is not e
Jen Davis
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve been sitting here for a long time, trying to figure out exactly what it was about this book that left me a little lukewarm. It’s not the main character, because I really like Thierry. It’s definitely not her dad, because I find Mac fascinating and the relationship growing between him and his daughter is really something special. It’s not the world-building, because that was expertly done. And it wasn’t the ending, because it wraps up the series arc quite nicely.

So what is it? Two things, I
Kelly
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series stroked all my happy places and gave me many, MANY things to grin about. Family, friends, political maneuverings more terrifying than a US presidential election... you name it, this series had it.

And it had Thierry and Shaw. THOSE TWO. They've had a bumpy road to navigate, but they managed. Let's face it, their relationship wasn't always pretty and it certainly raised a few hackles along the way. Literally, in the case of Mac. BUT...I really, really enjoyed watching Thierry and Shaw
Diane Lynch
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hailey Edwards Old Dog, New Tricks is a great addition to the Black Dog Series. Thierry’s mother-in-law, the Morrigan, is threatening to gain access to the mortal realm. The marshal’s office was attached, and Shaw is missing. This action-packed urban fantasy has one exciting scene after the next.

I love Thierry. She is a great heroine with a lot of depth. She continually grows and fights for justice. The Morrigan is the ultimate antagonist. She is wicked and ruthless. The plot was carefully thoug
Karen
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing conclusion to the series! Edwards is a master storyteller and I can't wait to read more of her works.
In the conclusion to the Black Dog series, Thierry and her father travel to Faerie to subdue the Morrigan, dissolve Thierry' s marriage to Rook and to rescue Shaw. All in a day's work for this magical duo. Except when they reach Black Dog's den in Faerie, they find a near dead Rook inside, a victim of Morrigan's anger and madness. They will need allies to defeat the Morrigan and
Jess the Romanceaholic
Ok ok ok so it took me forever and a month to read this because of a terribly stupid reason: I love this series so hard and didn't want it to end.

Of course, now I'm kicking myself, because it was excellent. I will avoid spoilers, but suffice it to say Go #TeamShaw, this is still and will likely always be one of my all time favorite authors, and honestly this book could not have possibly been a better ending for the series.

It doesn't hurt, of course, that there are already two books in the spin-o
S. Usher Evans
Father-Daughter-Feels to the max, y'all. That's all I can say about this book.

The series, as a whole, was just plain fun to read. I love Thierry in all of her vulnerable but smartness. I always felt like her honest mistakes were ones I would have made, and I never felt like screaming "Don't go in there!" She fumbled her way through a mess that she didn't cause with the perfect amount of sneakiness, humility, and balls.

On the re-read list for sure!
Arlene
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow.. Not many authors are able to pull off ending a series without it feeling rushed, . Missing something that makes you wonder what the heck.. This, master piece pulled it off for me. I owed the series. Will go back to re-read, but won't be feeling left hanging even if I do wish there was just one more..
Tara Baals
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the this book so sad its over! I want more Black Dog stories soon! a great fun read
TJ
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
While this series is pretty much a surface-story read, the author has an extremely creative imagination!
Janelle
**I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review**

5 stars!

Now that Marshal Thierry Thackeray and daddy dearest Macsen, aka The Black Dog, have been reunited, Thierry’s life consists of practicing fighting and having her dad bunk on her couch. That doesn’t leave much time for her and her hot incubus boyfriend Marshal Jackson “Shaw” to spend some quality time together. Add all of that together with the fact that Thierry just found out that her mom and Mac are “
Amber at Fall Into Books
I really loved this entire series, and while this book was my least favorite, it still was a good ending to this part of the story. From my understanding, the next book set in this world will follow Mai's adventures. Part of me is looking forward to that, and the other part of me isn't, but I digress. The character development in this novel is pretty good, the world-building is well-done, and the writing is decent. The pacing was a bit slow in the beginning, and I didn't really get into the stor ...more
Jeannie Zelos
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Old Dog; New Tricks,  Hailey Edwards
Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews
Genre:  Fantasy and paranormal

** Spoilers for earlier novels **
Final stretch of what has been a terrific fantasy series. I love series like this where there’s lots of magic, unusual creatures ( the Morrigan, Shape-shifters, Fae, Trolls, Selkies are just some of what's been through the series)  some suspense and a romance running through. At the start when I though Shaw had cheated I hated him...Poor Thierry, she was s
Alison
Note: I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, what a fantastic finale to the series!

I must admit that I have flip-flopped around with the previous books, loved the first, got confused by the second which veered off in a completely different direction and was happier with the third. But this book wrapped it all back together in a gift box with ribbons and a bow.

Mac is back (and his hidden identity did not go over well). Thierry and Mac start traini
Stacy
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: requested, netgalley
In OLD DOG, NEW TRICKS Thierry once again proves that she can handle just about anything. Shaw is missing and she has to travel into Faerie to get him back and beat the Morrigan once and for all. The danger is just as high, but she has her father by her side and she is determined to complete the tasks she is there for and save the man she loves.

There is some secondary character growth that I enjoyed in book 4. We get a new peek at Thierry's mother.. I saw her as a bit of a weak woman before, bu
Maria
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sad....

I'm sad that Thierry's journey is over. Don't get me wrong, it's a happy-sad moment, but it is over. It was an EXTREMELY excellent run so to speak. That is pretty much the only spoiler I'll ever put out is when a great character's story has been told...

Having read some other Kindle Unlimited offerings, I was pleasantly surprised that the author took great care in her work, grammatically, editorially and format-wise. In e-book offerings this seems to be sorely lacking.

All in all I am h
Ralph
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book in the this Black Dog series, and I admit I rushed through the first three in order to get this read for review. I absolutely loved it! I love the twist of worlds/power between the realms of Fae and Human merge and operate in Edwards' version. The originality of thought in how the Black Dog story began (as I don't recall hearing this version of myth) was interesting. Though I usually try to stay away from romancey-type stories, this one was not overboard with the relation ...more
Heather Rizkallah
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thierry has finally made a decision to leave Rook and remain with Shaw. But now the Morrigan is after her to close all the tethers to the mortal world, and leave only one tether open for her use. Thierry must defeat the Morrigan and close the last tether to stop her from entering the mortal world and taking control of it. The fight is fast paced and violent. But Thierry comes out the victor, saves Shaw and even creates a new tether for Rook so he can see his sister again. Thierry has her life ba ...more
Angelspearl
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this 3rd book as it was a time to really get to know Mac who was always talked about in the book. Thierry also got to work side by side with her father and build that bond she always wanted .

This book was full of twists and turns that had me at the edge of my seat for the duration of the book. I refused to sleep until the very last page because the book was just so amazing.

I really liked the ending of the book, it was what I was expecting but it all happened in a different way. Wa
Stacy Gallina
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff

The challenges that Theiry encountered made her into an unsung hero. She is strong, loving, fair, and smart. It was refreshing to see her family change and learn to live and trust one another. I thought this was the final book, and maybe it is, but I hope there are additional answers to come along with more details on Shaw's and Theiry's relationship. In addition, it would be great to sees if Mai ever finds her mate.
Karen  ⚜Mess⚜
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it

This really did feel like the last book. It read like Hailey wanted to put an end to it because her thoughts were on another book. By the looks of things, it probably was. I wanted to see more humor and more Shaw.

I love this series and the world building. I fell in love with all the characters. I'm going to read the next series and hopefully I'll get back the humor from Hailey Edwards crazy ass-kicking world.

Angie
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teaching the New dog, Old tricks

I loved the amount of time that Thierry spent with the Black Dog. He taught her more in the time they had together than any other fae had been able teach her outside of Shaw. But even Shaw wouldn't have been able to teach her the tricks the Black Dog did, since it was a blood relation thing. I will definitely be keeping up with this cast of characters in the spin off series.
Ann
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the last book in the Black Dog series. Thierry and Shaw must stop the new Queen of the faries from coming into Earth realm and taking over human life. All the issues from the previous books are resolved including Thierry's relationship with her father (fae), her mother, her ex and her mate. A satisfying conclusion to this fantasy.
Shannie
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-obsession
Great series! Read the entire series within a week.
Vannessa
I thoroughly enjoyed this last book in this series and overall thought this was a brilliant few series too. Thierry has certainly had enough of Faerie and her mother-in-law, the Morrigan, but unfortunately the Morrigan is not finished with Thierry just yet. She is not content with being the ruler of Faerie! Oh no! She wants the mortal realm to rule as well and there's only 1 person who can really stop her! Thierry really doesn't want to go back to Faerie and deal with all this, but when Shaw, he ...more
Denise Belt
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Morrigan has decided that she will be queen of Faerie and Thierry isn’t that sad about it. She figures here’s her loop hole to get out of returning to Faerie. But if the Morrigan is queen what does that mean for the realm of Faerie or the mortal realm for that matter? The conclave has proposed a few options to deal with this problem and a unanimous vote is needed by all and what Thierry wants doesn’t really matter.

As I have read this series I’ve heard of all different types of honey. I star
Moonny
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The whole series was great, I did read 1 book per 1 night, except first 2 which went together in one night... :D

The ending was great. I like how it ended for Faerie and for Thiery as well.
What I am although missing, if this is end of the series for Thiery (not the world), then I think the mole catching should have been described or it is a backdoor for next, 5th book. Or it should have not been mentioned also in the last chapters of the book.

Other than that, I like the ending and I am maybe gla
Rambling Rose
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wrapped up nicely

Great ending to a great fae UF series. This was probably my favorite of the series because Thierry really shined in this one. She had to use all of her hard-fought knowledge, guts, and street-learned ingenuity to not only survive, but also to solve the overarching conflict. Thierry is a genuinely likable character and her story kept me riveted. My only issue with these books is that as hard as I tried, I wasn’t really invested in the romance, or any of the side characters (exce
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ward Against Darkness (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer #2)
  • Edged Blade (Colbana Files, #4)
  • Heroes' Reward (Hero, #7)
  • Whisper of Shadows (Diamond City Magic, #3)
  • The Brimstone Deception (SPI Files, #3)
  • The Edge of the Blade (The Uncharted Realms #2)
  • The Emerald Lily (Vampire Blood, #4)
  • Gods and Ends (Ordinary Magic #3)
  • Cast in Angelfire (Mage Craft, #1)
  • Winter Woman (Trail Blazers, #3)
  • The Witching Hour (Eternal Lovers, #1)
  • Fairies in My Fireplace (Monster Haven, #3)
  • Kiss of the Dragon (Kindred, # 8)
  • Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2)
  • Planet Dragos  (Elder Races, #9.8)
  • Red Kiss (Gods of Midnight, #2)
  • Air (Elemental, #2)
  • Against the Dawn (Shaede Assassin, #4)
Hailey Edwards writes about questionable applications of otherwise perfectly good magic, the transformative power of love, the family you choose for yourself, and blowing stuff up. Not necessarily all at once. That could get messy. She lives in Alabama with her husband, their daughter, and a herd of dachshunds.

Black Dog (4 books)
  • Dog with a Bone (Black Dog, #1)
  • Heir of the Dog (Black Dog, #2)
  • Lie Down with Dogs (Black Dog, #3)
“We enjoyed ourselves.” A rare softness blanketed her features. “I wish you had stayed.” After twisting the cap off the water, I drank long and deep. “Well, I wish I hadn’t been ambushed.” “Macsen isn’t used to being around people he can trust,” she said gently. “As long as he understands trust is a two-way street and my lane is under construction.” 1 likes
“All day I had sipped and sipped and sipped when what I wanted was to let magic sink its teeth in one of these guys and rip out chunks of soul-meat to quiet the steady grumbling in my poor stomach. Snacking like this was worse than crunching rice cakes to fill the hole where a thick-cut T-bone ought to be.” 1 likes