Start by marking “The Love That Split the World” as Want to Read:
The Love That Split the World

The Love That Split the World

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  7,820 Ratings  ·  1,756 Reviews
Natalie Cleary must risk her future and leap blindly into a vast unknown for the chance to build a new world with the boy she loves.

Natalie’s last summer in her small Kentucky hometown is off to a magical start... until she starts seeing the “wrong things.” They’re just momentary glimpses at first—her front door is red instead of its usual green, there’s a pre-school wher
Published January 26th 2016 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about The Love That Split the World, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Coen van der Horst
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Susan This is not an action or a funny book. It's more supernatural.
YA Novels of 2016
1,286 books — 9,611 voters
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
259 books — 1,439 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
This book is almost impossible to rate. Take my 3 -star rating lightly, because it does not even begin to sum up everything I felt about this different, imaginative, weird romance.

I call it a "romance" out of the human need to categorize, but it truly doesn't sit well in any genre. It has paranormal and sci-fi elements, as well as what feels like touches of magical realism - all blended together around a complex love story with diverse characters.

Let me emphasize that once more - The Love That
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“Sometimes the most beautiful moments in our lives are things that hurt badly at the time. We only see them for what they really were when we stand at the very end and look back.”
I have to be honest, from the title, I didn't expect much of this book. I was wrong, and I love it when I'm wrong in moments like this. This was a wonderfully-written, introspective book of surprising depth.
God is a thing I think I see in glimmers all over: an enormous and vague warmth I sometimes catch pulsing aroun
Raeleen Lemay
Nov 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
My video review is up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs109...

1.5/5

The only reason I'm bumping this up by a half star is because I really liked the main character (Natalie)'s humor throughout the first half of the book. Other than that, I didn't like ANYTHING about this book.

My main problem is that I feel like Emily Henry tried way too hard to incorporate as many elements in this book as she possibly could. This book involves time travel, parallel worlds, adoption, Native American history/stori
Lola
''How tired do you feel right now?''
''Like I haven’t slept for four days, and someone just stabbed a shot of adrenaline into my heart.''
''That’s how I feel when I’m at home, miles away, and I think about you.''

I wanted to display a cutesy quote I randomly picked from thousands of similar written ones, because everlasting romance as well as the whole concept of ‘soul mates’ are the main themes in this story. Believe me, THE WORLD THAT SPLIT THE WORLD is made of 90% lovey-dovey scenes or ones th
Jeff Zentner
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this and I'm exhausted in the way of people who are exhausted from a perfect day of standing in the ocean and riding roller coasters. The beauty, intelligence, and profundity of this book are staggering. And the ending. Oh the ending.

There are books with average voices that tell incredible stories. There are books with incredible voices that tell average stories. And then sometimes lightning strikes and you find a book with an incredible voice that tells an incredible story.

Thi
emma
consider this review: posted. read my love letter to emily henry thoughts here https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...

--------------

Ahem. (Picture me gently clinking a knife on the side of a wine glass, or whatever that classy thing is people do before they give toasts at swanky dinner parties.)

Hello, everyone. If I could get your attention. I just want to say a few words.

So you all know Emily, yes? Emily Henry? The writer of this very book?

I only “met” Emily for the first time in June of last
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
7 Emotions The Love That Split the World Will Make You Feel

1. Suspicion - This book has a pretty unique, fantastical, kick-ass plot that'll make your head go crazy trying to dispatcher what's real and what isn't. It's more of a magical realism novel of sorts, with a hint of mystery thrown in for good measure.

2. Boredom - Okay, can we please talk about the info-dumps? Because Holy Grandmother, this book is FULL of them. You're going to get huge chunks of science-y (in which my brain would like
Maureen
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well that was interesting. It got better toward the end so it *may* be a 2.5. Maybe.

While the writing was beautiful (at times) and the story was pretty unique, this book didn't really do it for me.

It felt like it was trying to be too many things at once and not really solidly succeeding at any of them. I really liked the positive elements of feminism, emotional health, etc HOWEVER many of those things felt thrown into the book at the last minute (or maybe were just too in your face) and weren't
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
I also posted a video review on my booktube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVoRj...

"I want you to understand something, Natalie. No matter how hard it feels, you don't need to be afraid to move on. There's always more to see and feel."

I don't think I can even do this book justice. I don't even have the ability to place this book in a genre. What do I know?

I know that this is one of the most beautiful and moving stories about love -- romantic love, the love between friends, love betw
Lala BooksandLala
Video review on my Booktube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOHcu...
Trina (Between Chapters)
Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2MZ5...

I did not enjoy this book, BUT I definitely think it will appeal to many readers. It has many poignant passages about life and love and growing up and if any of these strikes a personal chord with you then it's very likely that you will love this book.

The parts of this story that I connected with the most were the atmospheric southern small town setting, and the many quotes that perfectly nailed that bittersweet feeling of looking back on los
Polly
I L O V E T H I S B O O K S O M U C H

I had been anticipating this book for quite a while after seeing so many good things about it especially from my friend Summer and it definitely didn't disappoint. If anything it actually exceeded my expectations.

What did I love about it? Well even from the first few pages I felt a real connection to this story. I absolutely love that feeling, when you start a book and you just know from the beginning you're going to love it. Well this was that book for me,
Estefani
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Review also on Fiction Jungle

If you read my ‘Most Anticipated Releases of 2016’ then you know this beautiful gem made the list. The Love That Split The World is one of those books that sound great in synopsis and it’s equally great when you read it.

It’s one of those rare cases where a mix of Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Contemporary worlds exist cohesively and actually complement one another within the story.

It started off straight up mysterious. On the first few pages we are introduced to a
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
A finished copy was provided by the publisher for review.

Natalie Cleary used to be the most popular girl in school cheerleader and girlfriend to Matt the quarterback. She also has brightest future ahead of her, going to the Ivy League school, Brown University. This is her last summer before college and she should be preparing, yet she can't. Her nightmares are back and with that comes Grandmother. She has been visited by this woman several times, telling her stories of her Native American backgr
Vanessa J.
Some of you may have foreseen my rating for this book based on its title, because I mean, The Love That Split the World?! Sounds like a cheap and cheesy romance, doesn't it?

It does, but I assure you that 1) this was not exactly that, and 2) that is not the reason why I ended up disliking this book.

Natalie Cleary has been getting visions of someone she calls Grandmother ever since she was 6 years old, and they were perfectly normal until now, when Grandmother makes an apparition and tells her she
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Very slow and very detailed but the beautiful, whimsical writing kept me reading on. Also, I think I won’t be able to sleep if I wouldn’t find out who Grandmother is. Yes, that’s what intrigued me most and not so much the boy that Natalie needed to save. I appreciate the plot devices used in the story. There’s a little of history, a lot of mystery, sci-fi, time-travel, psychology, fantasy and magical realism but as to what the story is mainly trying to say, I’m still not sure. Safest to say, the
☆☽Erica☾☆
I am at a loss for words. This was earth-shatteringly incredible. The cover is truly indicative of how beautiful the story is.

If I were to write a book, this would be the type of book I'd be proud to have my name on.

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of reading this: this book is very weird. It is magical, mystical, dreamlike, and transcendental. Don't expect a rational romance. This book is weird and owns it.
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Time travel, dimension travel, and lots of timey-wimeyness. All the things I love, so I was so excited to get my hands on this book. Unfortunately, it was a bit too preachy in some areas for me to give a higher rating. Also a few too many info dumps for my liking.

However, despite a dull first half, the second half of the story wasn't all that bad. Overall, I expected more though.
jessica
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this story is the embodiment of what it means to love and be loved.

emily henrys writing is magically transformative and heartbreakingly real. once i finished this, i couldnt help but tell those close to me that i love them. a very imaginative, yet touching, book.

Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
description

★★★★★★★★★★[10/10]

“Do you think . . . I mean, is it possible . . . that there is a God?”

She smiles that same smile I recognize from childhood, the mysterious one that makes our eyes sparkle. “Girl,” she says, “how do you think any of this is possible if something didn’t want it to be? Something tore a hole in time just over our bed all so you, lucky bitch, could know what it is to love. Someone tore up a tree and let us look through and decide to fall.”

Time travel. Parallel universes. Alt
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 1/17/16: 4.5 stars
This book was so special. It was beautifully written, full of touching moments, amazing friendships, wonderful humor, and truly a love that was powerful enough to split the world. Emotion levels were high for pretty much the whole book and I was so captivated by Natalie and Beau. I love Emily Henry's ability to bring me into this story, easily convince me that all of this was humanly possible, and even more so, to bring so many emotions into it as well. Eve
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I think that my expectations for this book were set way too high. I was really needing to read one of those books that grab a hold of you and refuses to let go. On Goodreads, the reviews are amazing so I decided that this would be the next book that I fell in love with and it almost worked. I liked it but I didn't fall in love with it. I am giving this book a very generous 4 stars but it comes very close to being a 3 star read for me.

The ove
celine (celinereads)
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars

I found this book to be SO confusing, but I kind of liked it because it made me think. I have never read a book like this before or about time travel, which might be why I found it to be a bit confusing, but I enjoyed it! I think my expectations were WAY WAY WAYYY too high going into this book, which is why this isn't a 5 or 4.5 star book because some parts were just kind of "meh" but some parts had me at the edge of my seat wanting more!

I will post an in-depth review on my blog and the
Lela
I don't know how to describe how I feel after finishing this book, maybe this pic will do:

I thought this book was just wonderful.

I was surprised by how hooked I was to the story. The whole (view spoiler) and the romance was so well done, that while it was heartbreaking it was stunning to read.

I’m surprised this is the author’s debut book. Definitely the best debut book I’ve read this year, and definitely I cannot wait for this author’s futu
Milka
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-releases, 2015
First up, LETS TALK ABOUT THAT COVER! It really is a thing of beauty. In fact, it is so gorgeous that I would love to have it as a poster on my wall, right next to my bed. And let me tell you, that's a prime spot for a poster. So whoever designed that cover - FREAKING GOOD JOB! If I ever write a book, I would want you to design my cover.

Now that the cover admiration is over (I MEAN LOOK AT IT), it is time to talk about the book itself. My expectations were extremely high, probably the highest fo
Stacee
There is nothing I could say that could express just how much I loved this book.
Andrea
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: that-cover, sci-fi
“This is the story of the beginning of the world, and the woman who fell from the sky.”

The Plot

The Love That Split the World is, at its core, a romance. Honestly though, this book is a lot more than that and it makes it almost impossible to categorize. With contemporary, paranormal, and time travel elements, The Love That Split the World is a unique and refreshing read.

Natalie Cleary is enjoying her last summer at home before heading off to college when she starts seeing things. It leaves yo
Kels
Goodness. It took me entirely too long to finish this book, and the simple reason for that is because I found it to be remarkably slow paced, incredibly boring, and so exceptionally easy to put down.

Although I do have mixed feelings about the writing, overall I believe that Emily Henry's prose rivals many of the seasoned authors in YA fiction that I've read. It's apparent that she took great care when crafting her sentences; they are vivid and detailed without being too clunky or cluttered, and
alexandra
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

TLTSTW is so deeeeeeep. do you ever read a book and feel the need to stop every once in a while to let it sink in? this was that for me. i'm in love with emily henry's writing style, as it gives me an existential crisis but is also light hearted. the writing and thought/themes executed is def my favorite part of this novel.

i don't know how to describe this plot. TLTSTW is a fantasy, contemporary, sci-fi hybrid thing that has TIME TRAVEL. i didn't know that before i began, so that's nice to
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight
Since there really wasn't anything I didn't like (though I will say that I was iffy for the first couple chapters- so know that going in, because it gets amazing and you do not want to miss out), I am just going to tell you what I did!

The characters were amazing. They were very well fleshed out, and I loved them. Friends and family were very key, even though there's also a very ship-worthy romance. I liked that there could still be a
  • A Fierce and Subtle Poison
  • The Year We Fell Apart
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)
  • The Serpent King
  • Where Futures End
  • Timekeeper (Timekeeper, #1)
  • The Loose Ends List
  • The Inside of Out
  • Suffer Love
  • The Museum of Heartbreak
  • Girl Against the Universe
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl from Everywhere, #1)
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Stone Field
  • The Girl Who Fell
  • Return Once More (The Historians, #1)
  • Underwater
  • The Queen of Blood  (The Queens of Renthia, #1)
“Love is giving the world away, and being loved is having the whole world to give.” 105 likes
“And when you see those good things--and I promise you, there are so many good things--they're going to be so much brighter for you than they are for other people, just like the abyss always seems deeper and bigger when you stare at it. If you stick it out, it's all going to feel worth it in the end. Every moment you live, every darkness you face, they'll all feel worth it when you're staring light in the face.” 65 likes