Start by marking “Warriors of the Storm (The Warrior Chronicles/Saxon Stories #9)” as Want to Read:
Warriors of the Storm (The Warrior Chronicles/Saxon Stories #9)

Warriors of the Storm

(The Saxon Stories #9)

The new novel in Bernard Cornwells number one bestselling series The Saxon Tales, on the making of England and the fate of his great hero, Uhtred of Bebbanburg.

A fragile peace governs the kingdoms of Wessex, East Anglia, under the rule of the late King Alfreds son, King Edward, and Mercia, under his daughter Aethelflaed.

Uhtred, her formidable champion and greatest warrior,
Published January 19th 2016 by Harper (first published October 8th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Warriors of the Storm, please sign up.
Richard Ayre This is the 9th book in the series. They start with The Last Kingdom when Uhtred is just a boy. This new one see's him (as far as I can work out) in…moreThis is the 9th book in the series. They start with The Last Kingdom when Uhtred is just a boy. This new one see's him (as far as I can work out) in his late fifties. He's a granddad now! But he's a granddad you don't want to get on the wrong side of!(less)

Start your review of Warriors of the Storm (The Warrior Chronicles/Saxon Stories #9)
Lo9man88
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sun smiled upon my weary soul the day i picked this glorious series, in my book Uthred can do no wrong , It found me in a time when i read the best there is in fantasy and fiction and i had begun despairing and losing hope, some garbage out there: i shudder to think of it ...

Our hero in this novel faces a new threat,surprisingly the brother of his son in law :his daughter and his first grandchild are besieged in their fortress and they're close to defeat and death so naturally Uthred
Sean Barrs The Ultra Vegan
Its been two years since I last read a volume in this series. I just started to grow tired of it and the formulaic approach to novel writing. Although a series, each story is quite self-contained and follows a similar pattern of development. So I definitely needed a break from Uhtred of Bebbanburg for a short while.

And Im glad I took it because I found myself enjoying this one more than many of the others and, even better, Im actually quite excited to read the rest of the series. Though I do
Jason Koivu
description

Dashingly handsome Uthred of Bebbanburg's life story vikings along in Warriors of the Storm, the ninth book in the Saxon series.

First off, Uthred is never described as being handsome in the books. That is a tv fabrication. Okay, I just needed to get that out of the way.

Anywho, this is a serviceable book that continues the saga admirably. It's not anything special. No major historically related events take place. It's more personal. In fact, at one point Uthred has to rescue his daughter and
Markus
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A much more interesting book than The Empty Throne, the wonderfully titled Warriors of the Storm only took me a bunch of hours on a plane to read.

After securing the future of Mercia, Uhtred and his allies turn their eyes northward, towards his old homeland of Northumbria. The Saxon kingdoms are in their strongest position yet, with both Mercia and East Anglia on the verge of liberation from the invading northmen. Awaiting him in the north, however, is a grand convergence of enemies both new and
Dana Ilie
I love every page.
Terri
It has been a long time between drinks for me and, after a couple years since the last time I had read a book in this series, boy, it sure was good to be back drinking from the well of Bernard Cornwell's Uhtred.
I've missed the big guy, with all his scorching, sardonic quips and his unabashed mocking of just about anybody, he is a big personality to endure, and I endure him with such delight and immense gratitude.
Rarely does a character, consistently, make me smile and laugh out loud as much
Price drop: $1.99 in the Kindle Store today!

This is (I think) the 9th book in the Saxon Stories series. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite of Uhtred's tales. This one is probably in the top three.
It was a little different from his usual stories. My one gripe with Uhtred has always been that he has always answered to someone. He has never been truly free to do as he pleased. Sometimes he has worked outside the rules to the displeasure of his rulers, but he's never just done as he pleased.
Ace
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edit: April 2016 Just finished listening to this one, cannot wait for the next book!

May 2015 - Eagerly awaiting this book, I was in two minds about its potential, book 9 in a series, its a hard task to keep to your story and maintain the thread of characters but I had nothing to fear!

England is full of rich history, and Im glad to be reading it through this series. Another winner for the Saxon Stories.

Bernard Cornwell has delivered a for me a 6 star read about one of my favourite characters,
Murf the Surf
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Riders on the Storm!

Hey, I'd bethought that clever maxim all by myself, he he. Utred is on the roll again and as before he wishes to uphold the Christian realm of Alfred whilst praising Odin and Thor, bemoaning the evils of the Nailed God. Maybe all these testosterone fueled animosities towards Cornwells strict Episcopal upbringing seems a bit silly at times, but it is truly an enjoyable read.
I can't believe that I've made it through book nine already. You see I have a great weakness for all
Andy
Crashed through it in 2 days & was a great ride & thoroughly cleansed my minds eye of the sad whimp of a boy that portrays Uthred in that appalling BBC show The Last Kingdom.

Uthred is now older although an age not given & enjoyed the new characters immensely, as well as some old ones, which really did catch me unawares. A really quick read as your drawn into this page turner & truly back to the form of the first few books in the series for me.

Whats more to say! 5 stars as it
Bart
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Actual rating: 4,75***

I've read the whole series this year, so it's easy to say I love these books. Some are better than others though. I rank this book among the best. It has all ingredients for a classic Uhtred story: full scale battle, Uhtred at sea, Uhtred vs priests, plot twist, one-on-one battle. I strongly recommend this series to all readers of historical fiction and fantasy.
S.J.A. Turney
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For years friends of mine have raved about Cornwells Uhtred novels, and I have intended to read the series at some point, but never seemed to find the time. For the record the last Cornwells I read were the Sharpe series back in the day and, though I think I tired a little of the series towards the end, I remember the earlier ones as some of the absolutely best novels I have ever read.

So when I had the opportunity to read an advance copy of the new Cornwell, I had to say yes, didnt I. I did
The Shayne-Train
One of the standout best entries in a series full of near-perfect novels.

Uhtred is back, and kicking Norseman ass like nobody's business. Nerve-ravaging midnight sea-crossings, daring fortress sieges, sorcerers of both pagan and Christian magic....plus the long awaited backstory of Finan, Uhtred's quick, deadly, and loyal Irish best friend.

I don't think I'll ever find a series of books I enjoy as much as this series.
Scott  Hitchcock
3.5*

Uhtred kills some Danes, bullies some priests, mocks the nailed gods, defies Etheldred......we do lose a couple of old "friends" in this one.

David
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the ninth book in the Saxon Stories series by Bernard Cornwell. Like all the previous novels in the series, this book is wonderful. Still, the main character Uhtred of Bebbanburg is a clever, mighty warrior. He uses more than just his fighting abilities--he thinks out the situations more carefully than almost everybody else. In each book, he gets into a big pickle. It seems like he is doomed. Then, he thinks up a strategy that, with a little bit of luck, will enable him to be victorious. ...more
Tosh
5+++ stars!

Im in serious need of a re-read for the whole series, but Im pretty confident I can claim this is one of the best so far.

Unfortunately, I couldnt keep myself from spoilers so most of this review, if you can call it that, will be behind the spoiler tag.

(view spoiler)
Rob
Executive Summary: I'm still enjoying this series as can be inferred from my rating, but I'm eager for things to reach a conclusion soon.

Full Review
This was another quick easy read. It doesn't really stand out as anything special among the rest of the series, but still enjoyable nonetheless. Uthred is great and all, but what keeps me going in the series is some of the supporting cast. Finan, Aethelflaed, and most recently his kids.

Uthred is getting old though. I'd like to see him finish up his
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
Bernard Cornwell did it again! Another masterpiece!

Uhtred is getting older but he knows what he's doing and this book is a proof of that. This time the enemy is powerful and his family in danger. It's time to go to war...Again...

Uhtred is a man driven by his passions... He has a passion for war, for women, for his land... In this story he is going to make some pretty big decisions and my opinion is that he did well... I can't get enough of him and I can't wait to read more!

His story isn't an
Dawn
I find that the books in this series where Uhtred is not left with time to feel sorry for himself are always the better ones. This book has him on the go and attacking from beginning to end. All three of his children are part of the story and I like the family man version of Uhtred we get to see because of it. There is no doubt that this is family, warrior style, but still, it gives a more rounded version of this character rather than just the fire breathing, battle hardened, christian hating, ...more
Krista Claudine Baetiong
Ah. I honestly thought this book is the final installment of the series worthy of my sleepless nights and 5-star reverence, but its clear now that well still see more of Uhtred and his battle-filled excursions in the future (and in a few more books, too, perhaps?). And reasonably so, as he still has a would-be king to mentor and a beloved fortress to recapture!

Well, my only wish is that we wont have to wait long for his next story to come out.
Shannon
It's more blood and thunder as Uhtred continues to fight for Wessex while thirsting for his ancestral lands.

There's fighting and more fighting, particularly against the Irish and the Norse. Some interesting landscapes for fighting and maneuvering this time around.

In some ways this is a repeat of some of the older books but if you love Uhtred as I do then you'll forgive the author.

OVERALL GRADE: B to B plus.
Susan Johnson
Sometimes a book series starts to go dull when you reach the 10th book but that is certainly not the case with this book. In fact, it's my favorite book so far and I have loved all of them. This has everything- a trip to Ireland, Uhtred's interactions with all three of his children, a reunion with his first love, magnificent battle scenes and an interesting prostitute named Mus who inspires an army. What more can a person ask for?

There is just something magical about Uhtred. He was born a
Rebecka2
Jun 09, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
*sees there's a ninth book coming*

*proceeds to literally freaking the fuck out*
Beorn
Instead of doing my usual forewarning of "You should really have read the previous books in the series" warning here, I'm going to open by saying that this is somewhat of a return to form for the series. It is rather eye-opening to the fact that the majority of Cornwell's best books are those with the most battles & set-pieces in them.

There is plenty of action, bloodshed, an easily recognisable if completely one-dimensional and thoroughly under-developed bad guy to root against and lots of
Donna
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is number 9 in the Saxon Stories series by Bernard Cornwell. I love this series. It has been fun. Uhtred of Bebbanburg is larger than life, and I mean that in a good way. This installment was entertaining. The characters moved forward but the story wasn't as gripping. It felt like a set up for the 10th book (which I finished today). However, even with that said, this book was still highly enjoyable. I think the best part is that the MC is who he is. No apologies. No excuses. And he owns ...more
Speesh
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vikings, anglo-saxons
Starting three years after The Empty Throne, that's a long gap, as I remember. Long enough for Uhtred to now feel Elder Statesman Uhtred. With the Elder Statesman mantle, finally comes the growing of 'a pair,' as they say. Uhtred deciding to say 'fuck this for a game of soldiers' and going all-in on re-taking Bebbanburg is what HE wants to do, and the Three Norns, so often used in novels set in this period to cover for not making a decision, be damned! It's a be-freeing feeling, not just for ...more
Ctgt
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not difficult to be a lord, a jarl, or even a king, but it is difficult to be a leader.

Another entertaining if unspectacular volume in this series. A nemesis or two from the past come back to haunt Uhtred and he gets a bit closer to his ultimate goal of reclaiming Bebbanburg. But I must say I'm ready for this series to end. When the supporting cast is much more interesting than Uhtred, it's time to pack it in. Don't get me wrong there is still plenty of action and intrigue and the book was
Nate
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-ages, owned
Uhtred's Never-Ending English Dark Ages Party rolls on, with predictably awesome and gory results. More to come.
Kate
Fabulous! Brilliantly written but, even better than that, it depicts the Saxon world as I want to picture it. What a warrior and hero Uhtred is! I'll say it again - fabulous!

Lucia
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Another very enjoyable read by Bernard Cornwell. I love Uhtred's military strategic thinking!

• Blood Eye (Raven #1)
  • Storm of Steel (The Bernicia Chronicles, #6)
  • Wolf of Wessex
  • God of Vengeance (The Rise of Sigurd, #1)
  • The Serpent Sword (Bernicia Chronicles #1)
  • The Whale Road (Oathsworn, #1)
  • Sons of Thunder (Raven #2)
  • Winter's Fire (The Rise of Sigurd, #2)
  • Æthelstan: The First King of England
  • Odin's Wolves (Raven, #3)
  • Genghis: Birth of an Empire (Conqueror, #1)
  • Fin Gall (The Norsemen Saga, #1)
  • Khan: Empire of Silver (Conqueror, #4)
  • Odin's Game (The Whale Road Chronicles Book 1)
  • Wings of the Storm (The Rise of Sigurd, #3)
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • The Blooding (Master of War, #1)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat: The Gateway Collection
Cornwell was born in London in 1944. His father was a Canadian airman, and his mother, who was English, a member of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. He was adopted and brought up in Essex by the Wiggins family, who were members of the Peculiar People, a strict Protestant sect who banned frivolity of all kinds and even medicine. After he left them, he changed his name to his birth mother's maiden ...more

The Saxon Stories (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
  • The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Stories, #2)
  • Lords of the North (The Saxon Stories, #3)
  • Sword Song (The Saxon Stories, #4)
  • The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5)
  • Death of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6)
  • The Pagan Lord (The Saxon Stories, #7)
  • The Empty Throne (The Saxon Stories, #8)
  • The Flame Bearer (The Saxon Stories, #10)
  • War of the Wolf (The Saxon Stories, #11)