Start by marking “Mountaintop USA” as Want to Read:
Mountaintop USA

Mountaintop USA

As a comet is about to pass by Earth, the people of who live in Mountaintop learn that their location will be perfect for viewing the icy orb. The quirky residents gather together with their telescopes to gaze at the comet and have a party. To their surprise, the night will be illuminated by revelations.
The town of Mountaintop is populated with chess players, astronomy en
Kindle Edition
Published April 28th 2015 (first published April 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Mountaintop USA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountaintop USA

Start your review of Mountaintop USA
Sam C
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I agree with other reviewers about the fact that this story is begging to be interpreted visually, whether in movie, graphic novel or other format. The description is beautiful but leaves enough room for the imagination to take over. The characters are complex and impressively well-developed but never over complicated. The story is easy to read and quite addicting thanks to the quick pacing and unpredictability. All the elements are there of a story that is easily adaptable for multiple formats. ...more
Natalie
This book about a network of friends and families, lovers and troubles, ideas, chess and a fictional town with a donut shop that always has a fresh pot of good cofffe going kept me turning the pages !

I found between times when I wasn't reading i would wonder what would happen next. Or I'd catch myself thinking of the characters the way one does when a book comes alive in your mind .

Although the writing is a bit uneven in patches (perhaps an early-ish work for this author ? It's my first but i'
Jeff
May 05, 2021 rated it liked it
Quaint little book about a mountain community who ultimately ends up at a comet viewing party. So many characters are introduced right from the start that I had to keep going back to see who was who. A few of them get detailed backstory. By detailed, I mean, one or two incidents from that past. The best one was for a prodigy and a youth chess tournament. Otherwise, the author tends to 'tell you' instead of 'showing you' who these people are and what their motives are. It ends abruptly at the com ...more
Joanne
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a mixed bag for me. I found the personal stories of the characters to be quite interesting. I found myself thinking about the characters during my work day, which is a sign I'm engaged in the book. When I looked past the grammatical errors, I enjoyed it. Some parts dragged out a bit too long, especially the beginning of the book where the characters were being fleshed out. A bit more editing and condensation would have brought the book up to 4 stars for me. ...more
Sohini De
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are often novels that are based on families. William Graney’s Mountaintop USA leaves the same pleasure as reading a family book. A small town where there are many characters, all of whom are intertwined by their activities and lifestyles.
William deserves credit for carefully building up each character and justifying them. With different profession, relationship troubles and the introduction of teenage love Mountaintop is packed with all the ingredients that make a great read.
As the story
added it
Oct 03, 2018
Hannah Wilcox
Aug 05, 2020

• The Sight of Demons (The Master of Perceptions, #1)
  • Mission: Subhero