Start by marking “Secrets in the Grave (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #3)” as Want to Read:
Secrets in the Grave (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #3)

Secrets in the Grave

(Serenity's Plain Secrets #3)

Some Amish communities aren’t so cozy.

Just when Sheriff Serenity Adams thinks life is getting back to normal, the death of a young, pregnant Amish woman rocks the community. Is it circumstance…or murder? It’s up to Serenity and her ex-Amish boyfriend, Daniel Bachman, to discover the truth about the new shaman-type medicine man who’s brought his dark secrets to Blood Rock.
Published August 19th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Secrets in the Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets in the Grave

Start your review of Secrets in the Grave (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #3)
Tammie

But Serenity has secrets of her own, and if she and Daniel don’t work it out, the reappearance of a woman from his past could threaten to ruin their relationship.
Quillracer
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
Hopkins again shows the Amish as darker than our standard perception of them. And Serenity as mercurial as ever.

As in earlier books, there were many places here where I wasn’t sure if Serenity or Daniel was the POV character. And there are so many places where Serenity and Daniel or some other character breaks out in an eye roll or raised eyebrows, they’re epidemics that need investigating by the CDC.

This book had a bit of a soap opera-ish tone to it in the way Serenity carries on about Daniel’s
Bonnie
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I gave this 2 stars because the book had apparently never been edited. The story was worth 3 stars but chapter after chapter there were grammar errors. Multiples times the word you was used rather than your. The verb are was used when it should have been is. I could go on and on. Because I do proof reading as part of my profession, it took away from the book when I was jolted with these errors.
Amanda Meggs
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. A very exciting mystery about a sheriff named Serenity and her ex-Amish boyfriend. This 3rd book in the series didn't matter that I hadn't read the first two. Great fast paced action with believable characters and storyline. ...more
Judy Churchill
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Who knew there would be so much going on in the usually peaceful Amish community. Serenity, as Sheriff of Blood Rock, is building credibility and making friends. Her relationship with Daniel is developing in spite of her fear of commitment. Easy to read and characters who invite your involvement! I am on to the next episode.
Sheryl
Another enjoyable installment in the series. Interesting case and characters. I wouldn’t start with this one because you’ll miss out on character and relationship development; plus, the cases from the previous two books are brought up so you couldn’t go back and read them later without knowing what happened. I recommend reading this series in order.

I listened to most of this on audio but finished the last quarter on my kindle and I have to say that, given the choice of narrators, I recommend the
Denise Zendel
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sheriff Serenity Adams is called to investigate the death of a young pregnant Amish woman in Blood Rock, Indiana, possibly at the hands of the suspicious new Amish medicine man. Serenity and her ex-Amish boyfriend, Daniel, must discover the truth. She’s keeping secrets of her own, however, and the situation gets more complicated by the reappearance of an ex-Amish woman form Daniel’s past.

Minuses: The author’s over-reliance on the use of “smirk” to convey facial expressions. I got annoyed at the
Wendy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BACK OF THE BOOK BLURB

(copied from Amazon.com)

Just when Sheriff Serenity Adams thinks life is getting back to normal, the death of a young, pregnant Amish woman rocks the community, is it circumstance...or murder? It's up to Serenity and her ex-Amish boyfriend, Daniel Bachman, to discover the truth about the new shaman-type medicine man who's brought his dark secrets to Blood Rock.

But Serenity has secrets of her own, and if she and Daniel don't work it out, the reappearance of a woman from his p
Joleen Devens
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish-fiction
This was a great Amish mystery. I loved how Karen Ann Hopkins played on the differences between the Amish way and the worlds way. The plot really kept my attention. The last few chapters were so great, I could not put the book down.

Here is a description of the book from Amazon:

Roxx Tarantini
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Going to have back track . . .

. . . to the first two books!

Hopkins writes a compelling story of long hidden secrets, a community shielding its own, and a Sheriff who is determined to get at the truth at all costs.

Welcome to Blood Rock where Serenity is Sheriff over a jurisdiction that includes an Amish settlement. Where her boyfriend is a former member of that settlement with ties that still hold strong.

When a young, unmarried, pregnant Amish woman dies, it's up to Serenity to find out why. T
Tien
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, crime, freebie
I knew it's been a long while since I read the second book of this series but GR informed that it was 5 years ago! Wow, no wonder I could barely remember exactly what's happening with the personal lives of the protagonists. Thankfully, as usually mystery serial books are the cases they work on are isolated per book.

This novel is told from 2 perspectives: Sheriff Serenity Adams and her partner with an Amish background, Daniel Bachmann. While Daniel is not at all part of the police force or any po
Laura Barfield
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoyed the previous 2 Serenity's Plain stories but feel less enamored with this one. I still enjoyed the crime solving element, the shenanigans with the Amish, enjoyed spending time with all the characters I've come to know and love and I am still of the opinion that Karen Ann Hopkins is a good writer who knows how to spin a yarn. So why only 3 stars?
I found myself getting more and more frustrated with Serenity and her behavior towards Daniel as the book went on to the point that it di
C Janet
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have not read these books in order. The books can be stand alone but to really follow the characters and history of the families, I would recommend reading them in order.

The books are very interesting and highlight the culture differences between Amish and English.

Serenity is the main character and she is the Sheriff of Blood Rock. She is dating Daniel, who grew up Amish but left to live in the English world as a teenager.

This story is about when Serenity is called to investigate the death of
Patrick
Joanna
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the third instalment in the series. The book is well written although there are a few spelling mistakes which is annoying. The book is well constructed but now that I've read the third book in the series, the plot line is predictable. All three books have had the same plot - an incident happens in the current day but upon investigation, is linked to one of two in the past.

I'm also getting frustrated with Serenity herself. So she had one high school boyfriend cheat on her, get over it! I
June
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Having read the first 2 Serenity books I settled down to enjoy the third - wrong! Serenity has some serious trust issues which have been discussed in the first two books so can we move on please. Daniel is ex amish and Serenity is the Sheriff there; Daniel would like to move on, marriage,children but Serenity is dragging her feet and really in my opinion becoming a bit whiney. This does detract from the storyline since it comes up often which is a shame because the background of the Amish commun ...more
Linda
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, audio-book
Sheriff Serenity Adams must investigate the mysterious death of a young, pregnant, Amish woman. The one person she suspects the most is the local Shaman for the Amish. When she learns that his own wife died mysteriously in child birth many years before she becomes even more suspicious.

Though I had an idea who the murderer was from the beginning I certainly did not know how they were connected and that made it interesting. I also had no idea that the Amish had healers or Shamans other than perhap
Lottie
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoy reading this series. The author keeps the book moving with new twists and turns. Her knowledge of the Amish community makes the books believable and very enjoyable. Since I am originally from PA, residing near the Amish community, these books ring true, even though they are works of fiction. The Amish are a unique community and some of Serenity's questions about them are often voiced by those experiencing this culture for the first time! There is a "magical" element surroundin ...more
Nan Wisner
Plot a bit sesationalistic

From what I know of the Amish culture, I'd say 85% of the portrayal in this book is accurate. The plot is a bit dark and sensationalistic for a small rural community. Enjoyed the innocence, honesty and step back in time of the life in the book in spite of the darkness. Struggles of the young Amish people between plain and fancy lifestyles was interesting. Is it all or nothing choice or are compromises taking place in the Amish world to keep the young people?
Rebekah Jonesy
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'll admit, the 35 year old sheriff acting so emotionally immature was a bit daunting. But it was also totally realistic. We all know someone like that. So focused on their work and past hurts that they can't deal with their emotions, ignoring them instead. But all of that was secondary to the real plot of the book, which is a murder mystery. That part was very well done with complex characters complicated religious beliefs. The editing was a bit weak and deterred from the book, but the story it ...more
Ann
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pregnant Amish woman were dying and no one really knew why. It was known that some Amish used herbs for some medical problems. Were they involved. was it murder, or did the young mothers commit suicide since she was not married. Serenity the local sheriff and her boyfriend who used to be Amish but left them are on the case. Secrets and surprises are among the things that they find during their investigation.
Carolyn
The story was very good. I enjoyed the mystery and the relationship of characters. BUT the book needed proof reading before publication. There are many instances where I got confused due to phrases repeated, and the same words used side by side in the same sentence. Also I found a few times where the personal pronoun was misused in regard to the person to whom it was intended. Daniel was a 'she' and other persons were 'he' when 'she' would be used. ...more
Caitlin Streit
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Relaxing read

This was the first I had read by Karen Hopkins. Unlike my normal reads it was a nice mystery with a bit of romance tossed in. I found it fun and relaxing. I will read this series i found it enjoyable .bought the audio since it was quite reasonable as well. The storyline set in the Amish community was interesting.i recommend the book and audio for for the great prices as well as content.enjoy.
Carol Hurtig
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2018
While the plot was good, I did figure out who did it fairly quickly. It just didn't keep my interest. It is obvious the author doesn't know much about the Plain Community. The main character kept going back to past cases which just seemed like they were trying to fill the pages. It got old. Not sure why they through a bank robbery into the story. It had nothing to do I won't be reading the rest in the series. ...more
Carlton Phelps
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always a great read

Ms Hopkins does it again.
The clash between the modern world and the Amish world seems to clash more in Blood Rock more than anywhere else in the U.S..
Her books help you understand that the time it takes to solve problems in the Amish community are compounded because of their distrust of the outside world.
And it also takes longer because the sheriff has a difficult time believing in their ways.
Always enjoyable to read.
Carlin
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
Wow, what a great mystery (and series). The characters, including Sheriff Serenity and Daniel, are well realized and so very human. I would be happy to binge on the entire series! I have now read #1 and #3. It is clearly better to read the series in order. There were several references to the case in #2 in this book, plus the endings of each book lead into the next. I'm looking forward to reading more. ...more
Dewey Carroll Brackett
Good book!

I really enjoyed reading this book. Someone is killing young women and the culprit is quite a surprise. It was a little confusing at first until I got used to it switching back and forth between Serenity and Daniel. It kept my interest to the very end. I learned a lot about the Amish and their way of life.
Melinda
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Book 1 got me hooked on the series. Book 3 kept me there. I love Serenity and Daniel. This book had the suspense of previous books, and offered a deeper look into the lives of the Amish. It added in herbal remedies, and the practice of healing. This was probably the most interesting book in the series so far. Definitely a must read, this book will not disappoint.
Wilma
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A good story about a female Sheriff and her Amish neighbors. The story begins as one of the unwed Amish women has died while aborting a child. A previous death had occurred several years prior. The herbalist member of the Amish is suspected of concocting a beverage and killing the women.

Good characters and good writing.
carolebeckett
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

Oh my goodness, Karen Hopkins just keeps the good reads coming. More with Serenity and Daniel and the Amish community! Love her style and stories — which keeps the pages turning. The endings always have an unexpected twist. Her character relationships make you feel you know them. Next book please.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Plain Obsession (Hunters Ridge #1)
  • Plain Escape (Hunters Ridge #3)
  • Plain Revenge (Hunters Ridge #4)
  • If You Hurt Her (Reese Cannon Thriller #3)
  • Dandy's Discovery (Victorian San Francisco Story, #6)
  • Plain Missing (Hunters Ridge #2)
  • Blood Betrayal (John Jordan Mystery #14)
  • Dangerous Habits (Leah Nash Mysteries, #1)
  • Behind Open Eyes (Reece Cannon Thriller, #2)
  • Road To Mercy (Shannon Ames, #2)
  • Swine and Punishment (Bought-the-Farm Mystery #7)
  • An Amish Second Christmas
  • Dangerous Places (Leah Nash Mysteries, #3)
  • The Garage Guerrilla
  • The Witness Tree: A Southern Noir Mystery (Herbert and Melancon, #3)
  • False Cast (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mountain Mystery #5)
  • Dangerous Pursuits (Leah Nash Mysteries, #7)
  • Too Close to Home
You can visit Karen Ann Hopkins at her website: www.karenannhopkinsfiction.com.

"I loved joining Rose and Noah during their journey in the Temptation series by Karen Hopkins."-Katie McGarry, acclaimed YA author

Karen Ann Hopkins resides in northern Kentucky with her family on a farm that boasts a menagerie of horses, goats, peacocks, chickens, ducks, rabbits, dogs, and cats. Karen’s main job is hom

Serenity's Plain Secrets (9 books)
  • Lamb to the Slaughter (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #1)
  • Whispers from the Dead (Serenity's Plain Secrets #2)
  • Hidden in Plain Sight (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #4)
  • Paper Roses (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #5)
  • Evil in My Town (Serenity's Plain Secrets #6)
  • Unholy Ground (Serenity's Plain Secrets Book 7)
  • Bloody Ties (Serenity's Plain Secrets #8)
  • The Widow (Serenity's Plain Secrets Book 9)

News & Interviews

“I held up my hand. “Whoa. We’re talking about the Amish here, not some superstitious witchcraft religion on an island.” I scoffed.” 0 likes
“the trees was turning green, becoming more pronounced. The” 0 likes