Start by marking “Raymond Collins (The DCI Jones Casebook #2)” as Want to Read:
Raymond Collins (The DCI Jones Casebook #2)

Raymond Collins

(DCI Jones Casebook #2)

Birmingham, England, a sunny day in the city park. Children play, adults stroll - and a man lies dead in a pool of blood. His terrified fiancé screams for help.

The assailant smiles, waves goodbye and strolls away to hide in the city.

DCI Jones, together with his protégé, Detective Sergeant Phil Cryer are called to investigate the most difficult of crimes - an apparently
Published April 26th 2015 by Human Vertex Publications (first published May 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Raymond Collins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raymond Collins

Start your review of Raymond Collins (The DCI Jones Casebook #2)
Kindle Ninja
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-written novella that introduces Detective Chief Inspector David Jones and his partner Detective Phil Cryer as they solve the murder of a young man in the park. The author has quite a different approach to the narrative because the identity of the killer is already known. In fact, the reader is privy to the details of the crime, so the mystery is in how DCI Jones will solve the case. It's like a crime solving mystery in reverse. The killer has got a bit of "Psycho Norman Bates" ...more
Indie Editor Nancy
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love reading a great mystery with suspense and interesting characters and this short book had both! Written from a British viewpoint, the terminology was spot on, the police and investigative details accurate and precise. A Great story by this new to me author Kerry Donovan.
"Mature oaks, chestnuts, and ash trees cast dark, rippling shadows as a stiffening breeze ruffled the canopy."
"The electric prickle of excitement that always accompanied the first break in a case was one of the best parts
Carolyn Injoy
The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Francis Collins by Kerry J. Donovan The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Francis Collins by Kerry J. Donovan is a mystery/crime book. It's about Detective Chief Inspector David Jones who is investigating a murder case. I gave it five stars.

He works with Detective Sergeant Phil Cryer who has total recall and seems to bring up facts just to annoy Jones. "He cast a glance at Jones, still by the Rover. The boss, as usual, took his time. He studied the area, took
Susan
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the author's writing style and the characters he created. I found it a unique experience to spend time in the mind of the "bad guy" along with the hero(es). The "good guy" characters were appealing and developed adequately for the story and this book does a great job of introducing DCI Jones. One of the tastes I enjoyed most was the view/experience of investigating/being with the British "police" since most of my reading has been on their American cousins.

Overall a good introduction to
Georgiann Hennelly
The story is set in Birmingham England, Chief Inspector David Jones and Sergeant Phil Cryer his partner are investigating one of the toughest cases ever. A man's body is found in a park in the middle of the day. The victim's Fiance witnessed the crime. It is up to DCI Jones to solve the crime, with a suspect who appear's to have no motive. It will be hard but Jone's is determined to solve the case. A well written mystery it moves swiftly along we already know who the suspect is and we watch the ...more
Ted Tayler
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
"A detective story to enjoy"

An old-fashioned Midlands copper; ah, they don't make them like that any more. Well, clearly they do, now that Mr Donovan has rattled off a few stories featuring DCI Jones. This was a couple of hours well spent. An easy read about a fairly easy case for the detective and his team to sort out. Despite that, it was entertaining and well written, with a good eye for the right characterisation, procedure and dialogue. Next case!
Darrell Nelson
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gritty and Quick-paced

This introduction to DCI Jones, gives us a good look at the well rounded characters in Birmingham's violent crime unit. Donovan gives us nice tension and action without huge explosions and gun-play that a lot of action books rely on. I'm looking forward to more in this series.
Pamela
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this was a small book but a good one. it ended as a cliff hanger. I think its a little short book to another one which I got to find sometime as this was as good as the last book I read of his. enjoy the author's books. sure will read more when I find them :)
Cheryl
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novella was a fantastic find via Instafreebie and has opened up to me a whole new series of detective crime fiction. The thing I love most is that it is a British police procedural, and being Australian, their law processes are almost akin to ours.
Extremely well written and excellently paced, there was a good balanced blend of police crime solving, SOCO techniques, character background and psychology of the criminal without it being over technical or too concentrated on just one variable.
Romaine Heart
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
England Chief Inspector David Jones and Detective Phil Cryer are on a journey to solve one of the toughest cases. Their only witness to the crime is the fiance of the murdered man found in the park.
The author kept you intrigued with the mystery of trying to solve the crime. I would recommend reading this book.
Dave
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
This was a VERY short novella which only took a couple hours to read. The characters were interesting, but the plot was thin (probably due to the brevity of the book.) I will continue to read more in the series, but I would advise others to avoid this volume, unless it's free!
booklover BEV
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
my first by this author and i was hooked from start to finish. i love a good detective series and will read more
Bonnie Dale Keck
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kindle Unlimited {some not all} film noir detective thriller, think Donovan invented a new sub-genre. Johnny Swift and Lucky Shores different than the DCI ones.

The DCI Jones Casebook Box Set: Books 1-3 in the Casebook Series not ku
The DCI Jones Casebook: Sean Freeman not ku
The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Collins free
The DCI Jones Casebook: Ellis Flynn ku
The DCI Jones Casebook: Cryer's View ku

On Lucky Shores: A Chet Walker Adventure ku

The Transition of Johnny Swift ku

look at amazon writer page
Annette Holland
I felt like this was rushed and it missed something.
Sheri
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Francis Collins by Kerry J. Donovan

Set in Birmingham England, Chief Inspector David Jones and his partner Sergeant Phil Cryer are investigating one of the toughest cases ever. In the middle of the day in a park a mans body is found. The victims fiance witnessed the crime. It is up to DCI Jones to solve this case, with a suspect who appears to have no motive. It will be tough but Jones is determined to succeed.

A great introduction to DCI Jones. A well written
Marti
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A decent modern British police procedural must have: 1. An experienced, possibly craggy, long-suffering homicide detective, 2. An amicable coworker, usually working toward the exam for the next level in the department, 3. a murder of interest, 4. A serious but pleasant tone to the book, 5. Some personal backstory for our policemen.

In this novella, which serves to introduce us to DCI (Detective Chief Inspector for you American Philistines) David Jones and his working partner, Detective Sergeant
Jo-Anne
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This book starts out with Ray Collins murdering a man in a park in the middle of the day. The murderer just smiles and walks away while the victim's fiance screams. DCI Jones and his protégé, Detective Sergeant Phil Cryer, investigate this difficult case, not finding a motive for this crime.

The story is unusual in that we know right away who the killer is. It's the police that don't know so we see how they use their investigative skills to find out who was responsible for the death. It was good
PelicanFreak
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The excitement starts right in the opening of the book and as it goes on we get a view from all perspectives: killers, victims, investigators. Love it. As an American reading a UK author, Im enjoying the fact that I have no problem getting a clear picture in my head, nor in following the dialogue. Any expressions I do not already know are used in a way that makes them self-explanatory.

Kerry does an excellent job of writing in a way that should please readers on both sides of the pond while
Michele
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This very short novelette is the prequel to the first book in this series--which I haven't read but am certainly going to! The characters come alive with every word read. The story line is chilling-the scenes worded so that you feel you are right there in the action. I defy you to put this down before you are finished. I can't say much more or I might give it all away--At the moment this is free for Kindle-but who knows for how long!
The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Collins
Jennifer Loiske
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some may think that writing a novella is an easy task. Well, think again. It takes a talent to keep the story in control. If its too short, its a short story, if its too long, it might still be a bit too short for a novel and yet too long to be a novella. So my respect goes to Kerry J. Donovan for writing s great detective novella.

Im a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes and British detective stories so in The DCI Jones Casebook I got two of my favorite things in a one story. This was an easy and fast
Cheryl
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This review is from: The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Collins (Kindle Edition)
Coming from a family of police officers anything relating to them is fascinating to me. This is an excellent depiction of police procedural in an English murder. I knew that police in England did not carry guns but to read about this in practice was bone chilling. These officers are brave, brave people. I was unaware that guns were available to gun certified officers but had to be signed out for use. This could be
Jo Jenner
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to DCI Jones. This novelette is a true police procedural. We, the reader, know who did it from the start. What you get with this book is to find out how the police find out.
Within a very short space of time we are introduced to the team and other members of the police force. From the new police officer to the forensic officer on the edge, this author gives us enough detail, without spoon feeding us.
Having read DCI Jones casebook: Ellis Flynn this gave me some back story. I
Ukgardenfiend
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books-read
When is a psychopath a sociopath or just a very disturbed person? What does hearing voices or believing in imaginary people make you?

What happens when you think something has happened but it hasn't really? How can you defend yourself?

So here we are in Birmingham UK, where the cops chase a murderer without guns. A murderer who talks to his mother.

This is a police procedural with sparse clear writing that yet manages to engage your attention and to begin to know the regular scene of characters
Neil
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novella is more of a police procedural than a whodunit. At the start everything is regarded from the murderer's perspective, so we get used to him from the beginning. Then we are introduced to DCI David Jones and his understudy Sgt Phil Cryer. We then follow their footsteps in the hunt for the killer, in what outwardly seems to be a vicious, motiveless killing in a public park. Various other characters are woven into the fabric of the storyline in quite a natural way.
This was short enough
Sophie Bristow Harris
Great Introduction.

This short book was a great introduction to DCI David Jones and his work colleagues. It gave you an insight into their characters and what to expect from future story lines.

A short snappy thriller that kept me amused and entertained.

I read his second book (Ellis Flynn) before I read this so it was interesting to find out how a certain event had occurred. This book resolved that for me right at its finale!

I very much look forward to reading more by Kerry Donovan, He has a great
Emilie
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this free, but without the obligation for a review. I must have signed up for a mystery giveaway, but my tastes are more for cozy mysteries, and this one was more on the gory side than I prefer. For what it was, I thought it was well-written. There's apparently a lot of backstory in the book previous to this freebie. I am also not one to enjoy a story partially written in a murderer's viewpoint. That's why I stalled out on Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters/SEAL Team Sixteen series. For ...more
Jada Ryker
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short Psychological Thriller/Mystery Story

Detective Chief Inspector David Jones and his sidekick Sergeant Phil Cryer must solve a crime before there are more victims. Tasked with finding a psychopathic killer before it's too late, DCI Jones will need every skill, intuition, and trick he's learned throughout his career.

Kerry Donovan's The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Francis Collins is short yet powerful work. The characters stay with the reader long after the story is closed.
Wendy Darling
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the fiction I've read through recently, this one... THIS ONE grabbed me from page 1 and wouldn't let me stop reading!

Kerry J Donovan's novelette was nowhere near long enough for me to get my fill of DCI Jones and his team mates! I think it's safe to say that this may have been my first taste of his writing but it won't be my last. I can already imagine this serialized on the good old BBC.
R.L.
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a good detective story, especially if it's set in Britain. This was a very fast-paced read. I appreciated the switch of viewpoint between the GREAT DCI Jones's mind and his protege Phil Cryer, and into the mind of the killer. And having a serious phobia of heights myself, I almost had a panic attack at the roof chase. I believe it was so well-done that I look forward to reading more books by Kerry J Donovan.
Pam
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A great read with characters that are very believable and I really liked, woven into a brilliant story.

This series is so good that I'm reading them again, These are just my type of books, down to earth, police procedural stories with gritty realism, and the characters are so well written its like reading about real people, if you like warts and all crime books you'll love this series of books.

• The Secret Fear  (The DI Hogarth Secret Fear Series Book 1)
  • Agnes Grey
  • Eight The Hard Way
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • 48 Hours (City of London, #1)
  • With Our Blessing (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #1)
  • Dark Angel Series Books 1-3: Angelfire, Angelstone, Angelsong (Dark Angel, #1-3)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #18)
  • A Soldier’s Love: Highlander Menage MFM Romance Story
  • Wrong Place, Wrong Time (DS James Ripley, #1)
  • Behind the Scenes at the Museum
  • The Avenged (Detective Jacob Hayden #1)
  • Elegy for Eddie (Maisie Dobbs, #9)
  • Greed (Amber Monroe Crime Thriller, #1)
  • The Woman Inside
  • Girl in Trouble (Alex Mercer Thriller, #1)
  • Now She's Gone (Detective Rachel Prince Book 2)
  • Manifold: Space (Manifold, #2)
#1 Amazon bestselling author with the US-based Lucky Shores thriller series and the Ryan Kaine's 83 action thrillers, and creator of the popular DCI Jones Casebook series of crime novels, Kerry J Donovan was born in Dublin.

A citizen of the world, he currently lives in a stone cottage in the heart of rural Brittany, which he took five years to renovate with his own gnarled and calloused hands. The

DCI Jones Casebook (4 books)
  • Sean Freeman (The DCI Jones Casebook #1)
  • Ellis Flynn (The DCI Jones Casebook #3)
  • Cryer's View (The DCI Jones Casebook #4)

News & Interviews