Start by marking “The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)

The Hostile Hospital

(A Series of Unfortunate Events #8)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  95,268 ratings  ·  2,484 reviews
Dear Reader,

Before you throw this awful book to the ground and run as far away from it as possible, you should probably know why. This book is the only one which describes every last detail of the Baudelaire children's miserable stay at Heimlich Hospital, which makes it one of the most dreadful books in the world.

There are many pleasant things to read about, but this book
Published September 4th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Hostile Hospital, please sign up.
Sally I would recommend starting from the start, but the usual middle part of the book is more of the present than the past, so it's not horrible if you sta…moreI would recommend starting from the start, but the usual middle part of the book is more of the present than the past, so it's not horrible if you start in the middle of this series.(less)
Daleyna This book is so good, along with all the other books in the series. Def recommend all of them :)

·  95,268 ratings  ·  2,484 reviews

Start your review of The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
C.G. Drews
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-2018
Is this the CREEPIEST ONE or what?!? (Also yes still continuing my reread as I watch the S2 of Netflix's version...and there's only one left before the season ends. sobsob) So this one always freaked me out as a smol!reader and now as a slightly-tol!reader it still freaks me out. Glad to see I've matured. But it's a hospital and there are rusty knives and decapitation plots. AND PEOPLE WONDER WHY I READ DARK BOOKS NOW AS AN ADULT.

Also I have questions about why this hospital was so filthy and if
Mischenko
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
After escaping the village of V.F.D. and freeing themselves from Count Olaf's clutches once again, the Baudelaire children are now on their own. They find themselves at a convenience store in the middle of nowhere with the hope of getting a message to Mr. Poe. The issue now is that they need to stay as covert as possible because it's been published in the local newspaper (The Daily Punctilio) that they're dangerous murderers. After another narrow escape, they end up at Heimlich Hospital where th ...more
Mark Lawrence
The Hostile Hospital (book 8 of 13) is the first volume (I believe) to introduce the idea that the children themselves have to do things to survive that, while understandable, are not 'noble' when viewed in isolation. This begins in earnest the theme of noble vs villainous people that dominates to the end of the series.

It demonstrates an increasing sophistication in the novels, perhaps born of the idea that the audience were growing older over the years that the books were published.

In previous
emma
This is your friendly reminder that I LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH.

This series ranks among cookies and coffee and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland for things in this world that I purely love, without complication or exception.

Also, I now understand why I am the way that I am. Clearly, nine-year-old me (who wasn't allowed to read Harry Potter past a certain point in the evening because if I did I'd get nightmares) was NOT equipped to handle this book, wherein a fourteen year old girl is drugged for t
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events #8), Lemony Snicket
The Hostile Hospital is the eighth novel in the children's book series A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, the pseudonym of Daniel Handler. It takes place shortly after The Vile Village and is followed by a sequel, The Carnivorous Carnival. After escaping the Village of Fowl Devotees, Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire arrive at a store to send a telegram to Mr. Poe, explaining their situation and pleading for
Lauren
I liked it but I feel like the main reason I'm reading this is to catch up with my reading challenge. I also want to find out about V.F.D and all the other mysteries.
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
The sad truth is the truth is sad.

I am enjoying this series waay to much for being an adult woman who never read Lemony Snicket before 😂. Although, I must say, his sense of humour reminds me of my beloved childhood favourite, Roald Dahl! I also fell in love with A series of Unfortunate Events after watching the old movie, which starred two my favourite actors: Jim Carrey and Meryl Streep! This series is fun, dark, twisted, but in a cute, childish way! Absolutely loving it...

Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Alright, I am hereby aborting my mission to finish this series. Here is my reasoning:

1. Every book has the same exact formulaic plot.

2. Every book has versions of same exact characters doing the same exact things.

3. The person who recommended I read these is no longer in my life*.

4. After reading 7.5 out of 13 books, I still know next to nothing about the overarching mystery.

5. Too much teasing. Snicket has to realise that if you keep dangling the answer in front of the reader's face and snatchi
Erin
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This was definitely a spooky addition to the series as Violet finds herself in mortal danger and Klaus and Sunny will have to be fairly quickwitted to save her. I felt that Count Olaf's posse dug deep to be extra villainous and that ending definitely intrigues me.

Goodreads review published 19/02/20
Irene△⃒⃘➰
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
4.3/5

“Tra la la, Fiddle dee dee,
Hope you get well soon.
Ho ho ho, hee hee hee,
Have a heart-shaped balloon.”

This was my last book read in 2017. Great book to end the year, to be honest.
The last couple of the series weren’t too exciting nor with an interesting story, but in this one there’s once again the main spirit of this series.
After the escaping from the Village the kids end up in a Hospital, but it’s no common hospital there.

Count Olaf’s disguise in here was pretty cool. We don’t get a “
~Bellegirl91~
“We are Volunteers Fighting Disease
And we’re cheerful all day long.
If someone said we were sad,
That person would be wrong.

We visit people who are ill,
And try to make them smile,
Even if their noses bleed
Or if they cough up bile

{Chorus}
Tra la la, Fiddle Dee dee,
Hope you get well soon
Ho ho ho, hee hee hee
Have a heart shaped balloon

We visit people who are ill,
And try and make them laugh,
Even when the doctor says he
Must saw them in half.

We sing and sing all night and day,
And then we sing some mor
Kate (GirlReading)
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
3.75* Once again, this was a fun addition to the series, although I did feel it felt a little like a 'filler' book! Not the most memorable of the series so far but it still had me turning the pages, feeling intrigued as to what is going on! I would just like a little more development as there's a lot of teasing going on, which has been intrigued but I'd be glad for some kind of revelation at some point soon... :')
Richard Cardenas
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 STARS!

This was full of action! I felt like there wasn't a moment to breathe and I loved that about it. It was fast paced and fun and mysterious and that ending? These kids are brave as hell.

Why did Esme wink at them?
Who survived the fire?
What does Olaf really have to do with any of this?

I'm excited for The Carnivorous Carnival!

Now on to book 9!! :D

- Richard or Drahcir or Ardichar
k.wing
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: imaginaries
The Baudelaire's start taking matters into their own hands...

I enjoyed the climax scene in this book because it is the biggest close-call yet! Klaus is amazing, and is amazing in the climax scene.

Favorite quote from this book:
"There are many things in this world I do not know. I do not know how butterflies get out of their cocoons without damaging their wings. I do not know why anyone would boil vegetables when roasting them is tastier. I do not know how to make olive oil, and I do not know why
Ashley Daviau
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every time I pick up one of these books, they never fail to make me laugh. They're just so hilariously unbelievable and I love every minute of it! I think this is one of the ones where it strikes me the most though. It's really crazy the things that these poor orphans go through and really unbelievable that they've actually made it this far! I really love this book in particular because it shows that even good people do not so good things sometimes to escape bad situations and that's just part o ...more
Hafsa Sabira
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leaving this series for right now with this book. What I have realized is that this series can actually be a bit depressing. Unlike almost every other children literature out there,this book promises a sad ending and being true to his words,Lemony Snicker actually brings unhappy endings in every single book.

It's true that the world is a sad place and there's just too much cruelty everywhere. But Snicket's world has extraordinary amount of cruelty and misjudgment, enhanced by million times under
falling asleep reading
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Maybe we're becoming villains after all.”

I don’t understand why I used to dislike this book so much! It’s so good. It was interesting to see how the two youngest Baudelaires fended for themselves without big sister Violet to help them. This book also marks the start of Olaf slowly but surely losing his theatre troupe members until he (eventually) ends up completely and utterly alone as he deserves.

The Baudelaire children are so brave. That epic ending. It's awfully sad that they're comparing t
Swaye
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, books
Yeesh! That was disturbing.

And cue the PTSD! If these poor children weren't irrevocably traumatized for life already they certainly are now!

Alaina
lmfao.. this was so disturbing!

The Hostile Hospital is what it is. Disturbing yet highly interesting. I only know what these types of hospitals could be like based off of movies or tv shows. The hospital and the people were nuts and I just couldn't put this book down. I love creepy books and wanted to see how this is going to play out.

Olaf is just Olaf to me know. If you think he wont do something.. he probably already has or is planning to do so. He's such a good villain and I'm still slightl
Swankivy
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritebooks
John Velo
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: listenedto
I am struggling to continue with this series. Literally, what's making me continue is because I want to know what happens before the TV series comes out but it's really getting irritating to read similar events happen in every single book.

This is the 8th installment of the series and there's still a lot of unanswered mysteries.

But, one thing that sets this one apart from the others is when Claus and Sunny save Violet from Olaf and his associates. For a repetitive book, that was a scene that's
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms  (Book.Enchantress)
4.5 Golden Stars

I'm struggling to give it 4 or 5, because this story was awesome & one of my favourites in this series! (but maybe not deserving 5 stars?) Idk

RTC after re-reading when I decided to re-read :P

since the wrong turning of the wheel in the last book, the villains & heroes places changed, Baudelaires have to protect themselves from the prying eyes in a crowded hospital.
they have an opportunity to find the truth.
but in order to do that, they made some mistakes.
& they have to solve the c
Kimberley doruyter
getting a little irratated
Sara Williams
Book #1 of a 24h marathon on the 26th of April 2015

Very Lemony Snicket-y as usual.
There's not much to say about these series for now...
I am expecting something huge to come out of the last few books, and my hunger for the truth about Beatrice and the Snicket family and the fire is increasing every volume I read.
I look forward to picking up the rest of the series.
Chelsea
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
Mini Review: Pretty solid addition to the series. I liked that the formula was a little different than usual, with the kids on the run with people chasing them in the hospital rather than being sent to a new guardian. Not my favorite, but pretty good.
Jamie
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, youth
I am now stuck with the VFD song stuck in my head! Tim Curry really brought it to life. It is both annoying and amusing. This was so engaging to listen to! Esme is still crazy about what is in. What if she was told crime was out? Would she stop? I wonder... It was nerve wrecking when the siblings are seperated. This hospital is bizarre in how they handle things and their volunteers are nuts! I felt bad for the patients that needed real help. Seriously-wh can't they stop and simply get someone a ...more
Elaina
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
3.5, as always.
Erica Henry
4.5 stars. This one was one of my favorites.
Emily Polson
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
If you had asked me yesterday which was my least favorite book in the series, I would have said this one. Too macabre! Too dark! Too sinister, even for such an unfortunate series of events! And yet this time around it all just worked for me. This little tome is full of incredible allusions (that cheeky Virginia Woolf one is my favorite), thickening plot (the Snicket file? The sugar bowl? Tell me more!), and just the right mix of grotesque humor.

Here's an eerie, fatalistic Snicket excerpt for yo
Volunteer Fire De...: Excuse me, but I’ve found a secret message in book eight, and I need some help figuring it out. 3 11 Jan 20, 2020 11:01PM
Was Lemony in the hospital? 5 34 Oct 08, 2019 10:25AM
Fairbanks Clinic, Inc. 1 1 Apr 20, 2019 10:38PM
My independent reading project. 1 3 Mar 28, 2018 09:33AM

• A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)
  • The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library)
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: The Interactive Quiz Book (The Harry Potter Series:)
  • Minecrafter Engineer: Awesome Mob Grinders and Farms: Contraptions for Getting the Loot
  • The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown (The Jewel Kingdom Super Special, #1)
  • Le Paradis des cailloux ( Samedi et Dimanche, #1)
  • Agents of the Wild: Operation Honeyhunt
  • Kakushigoto, Tome 1 (Kakushigoto, #1)
  • Promises, Promises (Beacon Street Girls, #5)
  • Dinosaur Dream
  • The Year Shakespeare Ruined My Life
  • The Midnight Guardians

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)