Start by marking “Lügenmädchen” as Want to Read:
Lügenmädchen

Lügenmädchen

Eines Abends steht sie einfach vor der Tür. Und sie wird so lange bleiben, bis sie alles zerstört hat.

Stella lebt völlig zurückgezogen in einem luxuriösen, einsam gelegenen Haus in der Nähe von London. Sie hat es kaum verlassen, seit sie nach einem traumatischen Ereignis an Panikattacken leidet. Eines kalten Winterabends steht überraschend ein völlig durchgefrorenes junges
Published May 11th 2015 by Goldmann Verlag (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Lügenmädchen, please sign up.

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Astonishing book! I read this unable to stop turning the pages in a few hours, it was so gripping and I was desperate to know how all the pieces fitted together.

One night Stella let a young woman into her home on a freezing bitter winters night, the opening of that door changed the course of her life forever.

The book is a taut psychological story that just keeps you wanting more. It cleverly (rather than confusingly like many books) switches timeframes between the not too distant past and the pr
Blair
Review originally published at Learn This Phrase.

Don't Stand So Close is a psychological thriller that looks set to be the next big everyone's-talking-about-it book in the mould of Before I Go To Sleep. It is composed of three narratives, related - as these things usually are - in alternating chapters:
1. An agoraphobic woman, Stella, is presented with a dilemma when a teenage girl knocks on her door in the middle of a snowstorm. She would never normally answer the door, especially as her husband
Selene
►Two intersecting storylines set in England.
►Great start, thrilling middle, lukewarm ending.

The characters in this book aggravated me to great depths and it was hard to relate to any of them because they all needed a swift kick to the knee. Or back. Maybe even to the chest. Specifically, the main lead character, Stella. Her impression of Blue and overall judgement (at the beginning of the story) made me cringe. A lot! (view spoiler)
Liz Barnsley
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 - 5 stars**

Coming February 2014 from Random House UK Transworld Publishers.

Thank you to the author and publisher for the copy via netgalley.

What would you do if a young girl knocked on your door and asked for your help?
If it was snowing and she was freezing cold, but you were afraid and alone?
What would you do if you let her in, but couldn’t make her leave?
What if she told you terrible lies about someone you love, but the truth was even worse?

Oh how I do adore a great psychological twisty
Anne
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is at times, a very disturbing and often unsettling story, but it is written so well, with a really authentic feel, that I found myself turning the pages so quickly in a desperate need to discover just what is the truth.

It's a cold and snowy night when a young girl knocked on Stella's door. Stella is loathe to let this stranger into her house, she has enough problems of her own, and can't bear the thought of having to deal with someone that she doesn't know. However, Stella does care about
Vicky
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a soft spot for psychological thrillers so I fell in love with Luana Lewis’s story the minute I read the synopsis. I had very high hopes for Don’t Stand So Close and luckily, it didn’t let me down. I loved it from start to finish and I’m not exaggerating when I say I read the first hundred pages in one sitting.

One of the reasons why it’s so difficult to put it down is that you have no idea who’s lying, who’s manipulating who and who the (real) victims are. Blue turns up at Stella’s house
Trish at Between My Lines
This book pulled me in with its spooky looking cover, then held me firmly in place with its well executed story that filled me with trepidation for what the next page would reveal.

First Line of Don’t Stand So Close:

“At first, she ignored the doorbell.”

My Thoughts on Don’t Stand So Close:

This physiological thriller isn’t one of those books that scare you with scenes of graphic violence (but there is one part later in the book that is harrowing). Instead it flings you straight into an intriguing p
Trish
Sep 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible book. Horrible plot. Horrible story-telling. Horrible characters.

I can't/won't recommend this book. There was nothing interesting or intriguing about this book. Was predictable, and when something "surprising" happened, you weren't surprised.

Taking into account that this book was written by someone with a psychology degree made me think how the hell did they get that degree.

Also, the blurb described the character as a young girl..... I'd describe a 16 year old as a young lady.... gir
Lady Delacour
I liked this dark drama.
A very entertaining listen.
Would have been better without the perversion.
Enjoyed the narrator.
She could work on her male voices.
Melanie
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgallery
I have sat over night on this book undecided whether to give it 4 or 5 stars, if I was allowed halves it would have a 4.5. I am leaving it at 4 but do not think by any means that doesn't make this an fantastic book!

Ever read a book and it really plays on your mind and not in a good way. I don't mean that it was a rubbish book, I mean it told you just the right amount of information that your own mind could add a little more and then make you think about it? Its called 'Show not tell' when I did
Big Bertha
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Following a traumatic incident Stella is housebound, an agoraphobic who is a prisoner in her own home. Alone in her house during a snowstorm Stella answers the door to a young girl who claims to have lived there previously and wants shelter; initially saying no Stella then battles with herself as the conditions worsen, roads become impassable and the girl is sat on her doorstep without protective clothing and obviously suffering badly from the effects of the storm.

From the opening pages I was in
Bookread2day
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BE CAREFUL WHO YOU LET IN YOUR HOUSE.

The snow is falling heavy and it is freezing cold outside.

A young girl knocks on the door claming she used to live in Hilltop house and can she come inside?.

Stella is all alone in Hilltop house. She was a psychologist that suffered a traumatic experience while working in her clinic and has not been out of her house for three years and now severely suffers from agoraphobic.

Stella begins to feel guilty leaving this young girl sitting outside her house and lets
Janet
This is a competent debut that drew me in very quickly. A well researched psychological thriller from an author that clearly knew her stuff. Told from a few narratives, the central one being Stella, a severe agoraphobic with a past. And a young girl called Blue who happens to turn up at Stella's door one snow filled stormy night with no warning. The story spans over a period of about three years but centres around Stella trying to deduce who Blue is and why she's there.

This is not so much a thr
Nicki
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would you do if you were all alone and its freezing outside and a girl knocked on your door and wanted your help,and then she tells you lies about the person that you love but the truth turns out to be far worse than anything you could have imagined.

The only characters I felt any sympathy for were Peter and Blue,Stella was just very needy even before the main incident happened and she really should have seen that coming and as for Max,well you can't really say much about him without giving
Shawna P.
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short book was so eerie and compelling I was up until the wee hours. The first half was so creepy and had was a mixture of Into the Darkest Corner and The Magpies. You pretty much knew who the evil villain was the entire time, but it was still so disturbingly creepy I couldn't put it down!
Gillian
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of predictable and a rubbish ending!!
Deborah
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stella is agoraphobic and seemingly fritters away her days dosed-up to numb her to the world outside while waiting for her husband Max to arrive home from work.

One day in the middle of a snowstorm a teenage girl knocks on her door. Initially the girl claims to have once lived in the house but when Stella eventually lets the freezing girl inside, it’s obvious that she’s lying and is there under false pretenses.

Slowly we learn more about Stella’s previous life as a psychologist and how she came t
Sam
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blue, a teenage girl, arrives at Stella's door one night making claims that could change her life. Stella doesn't want to let her in, she is agoraphobic and hasn't had contact with anyone except her husband Max for a few years. Eventually, because it's snowing and extremely cold outside, she relents and lets Blue into her home and sanctuary from the outside world. It soon becomes clear that Blue has some mental health problems of her own and may even be a danger to others as well as herself. Are ...more
Kirsty (Book - Love - Bug)
I read the summary of this book in the Transworld catalogue and was instantly drawn to it. Reading the book itself wasn't exactly what I had expected it to be. I was expecting more scary thriller and less psychological thriller. This book is designed to make you think, and is about the deep dark secrets of people who you thought you knew, and who you thought you trusted. The two main characters also have deep-rooted problems of their own, both unique, but both linked in some way to each other. T ...more
Sherilyn Renee
Oct 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller-crime
WOW THIS BOOK WAS SUCH A WASTE OF TIME HONESTLY. First of all, you already know what happens in the first 100 pages! And then secondly, if you're going to base your book in less than 3 settings please at least make the characters tolerable because wowowowowowowowowooowwowowwowo I really can't decide who I found to be worse. It was just garbage I'm sorry but no thank you
A.J. Waines
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Great example of a Psychological Suspense novel. There are three unreliable narrators and the truth of the situation is dangling somewhere under our noses - but who is telling it how it really is? It revolves around the perils of being in therapy and being a therapist. The authenticity, through the author's psychology background, shines through in a powerful and engaging read.Highly Recommended.
Lesley
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yikes, disturbing! who is lying, what is the truth! I found this to be quite the page turner!
Judy Collins
DON’T STAND SO CLOSE, by Luana Lewis is a compelling psychological drama of cat and mouse, when two worlds collide for an intriguing, suspense filled novel, teetering on the lines of ethics, control, trust, and morality.

On a cold snowy night in London, Stella, a recluse is at home alone waiting for her husband Max to return. A knock on her door, a young girl outside insisting she is stuck in the snowstorm and wants to come inside and will not leave.

In spite of her agoraphobia and fears, and ne
Nicole

If you could sum up Don't Stand So Close in three words, what would they be?

"Beautiful intertwining of characters"

Sum up the story:

A psychiatrist has a traumatic encounter. Instead of dealing with what happened afterwards, she sinks into a grey fog of stagnation and dependency. She presses pause on her life. But then a combative teenager girl rings her doorbell, and it brings a gust of unwanted truth into her haze of a life. The story begins with the girl at the door.

Who was your favorite chara
Cheryl M-M
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most poignant sub-plots in the book is the ethics, trust and morality upon which a therapeutic relationship depends. Therapists must abide by certain rules and regulations. Always. No deviation from them.The client is vulnerable and that vulnerability can not and should not under any circumstance be exploited.

When the client accuses the therapist of breaching that trust, it can be a career breaker. Then again who is going to believe a quite obviously disturbed individual.

Unfortunately
Kim
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An atmospheric psychological thriller, gripping and very hard to put down, read this in just over a day! Stella is an agoraphobic -she hasn't left her house for some time, leaving her husband Max to go out to work. But life wasn't always like this for Stella. She was once a talented psychologist with a promising career in front of her until she was assigned to assess Doctor Laurence Simpson for a child custody hearing - then everything went wrong for Stella as a traumatic attack leaves her psych ...more
Kelley
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the main character, Stella, to be very naive and unlikeable even before the traumatic incident. Her rationalizations (both before and after the incident) are absurd, and her obsessions with Max along with her need to impress him made her seem mentally ill from the start. I couldn't stand her and had a hard time caring what happened to her. Put her out of her misery already! Nothing in the book was surprising, but for the fact that the "young girl" that showed up at her house was an almos ...more
Sue Lang
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn to this book by the synopsis. The author does an excellent job describing how the pressure of Agoraphobia can leave you feeling at a loss. I did find myself thinking when the character carried out certain actions "Why did you that" or "Don't do that"

There are some disturbing and uncomfortable story-lines but they are not gratuitous. The interaction between certain characters left me feeling very uncomfortable and threatened. I feel this reflects well on the author as I was totally e
Geraldine
Feb 29, 2016 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Abandoned at 40%. Dull beyond dull. Hints that there might be a psychological thing building but you know what, I just don't care.

If you get 40% into a book and don't believe in the characters, or give a toss about them, or have no sense of suspense, well, it's not going to happen.

Very preachy tone.

And then there's all the bloody Americanisms. "Emergency Room" "Fire Department" a GP who majored in psychology for his under grad degree. Yeah right. Author, don't treat me like an idiot!
Liz
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a page turner and psychological thriller. I liked how more is revealed throughout the telling of the story, so the reader's sense of what is going on and who is a good person is challenged. at At some points, I really did not know who was telling the truth and who was "crazy".
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Eye Contact
  • With Our Blessing (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #1)
  • Murder Park
  • The Dead Ground (Paula McGuire, #2)
  • The Closer
  • How To Make A Friend
  • Blink of an Eye
  • Deity (Damen Brook, #3)
  • Into the Trees
  • After I Left You
  • The Shore (The Pines Trilogy, #2)
  • Burnt River (Macy Greeley, #2)
  • Quarter Past Two On A Wednesday Afternoon
  • Carnages
  • Tastes Like Fear (DI Marnie Rome, #3)
  • Queen of the Court
  • After She Fell (Alex Devlin, #2)
  • Suffer
S.L. Lewis is a clinical psychologist and author of two non-fiction books (written under Sharon Lewis ): An Adult’s Guide to Childhood Trauma (1999, Cape Town: David Phillip Publishers) and Dealing with Rape (1994,Johannesburg: Maskew Miller Longman). As well as writing for several newspapers, magazines and journals, she has recently completed an MA in Creative Writing at Bath Spa University. She ...more