Start by marking “Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)

Death at Wentwater Court

(Daisy Dalrymple #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  6,866 Ratings  ·  634 Reviews
This first installment of a cozy mystery series transports listeners back to the bygone era of 1923 Britain, where unflappable flapper and fledgling journalist Daisy Dalrymple daringly embarks on her first writing assignment—and promptly stumbles across a corpse.

No stranger to sprawling country estates, wealthy Daisy Dalrymple is breaking new ground in having scandalously
Audiobook
Published May 25th 2005 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Death at Wentwater Court, please sign up.
Judith If books are in a series, I usually prefer to read them in the order written only because sometimes a back reference may be made in a book further…moreIf books are in a series, I usually prefer to read them in the order written only because sometimes a back reference may be made in a book further along in the series. There really isn't a rule that says you have to read them in order. I have had really good luck getting books through my library's inter-library loan program as well - ask your librarian if such an option exists.(less)
Glenda Osnach I found a copy in a used book store...Death at Wentwater Court. I don't even go into used book stores too often, I spend waaay too much on books. Now…moreI found a copy in a used book store...Death at Wentwater Court. I don't even go into used book stores too often, I spend waaay too much on books. Now that I'm retired must start using the local library more!(less)

Jaylia3
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This lighthearted Downton Abbey era 1920’s mystery totally charmed me. Daisy Dalrymple comes from a titled family, but after her brother was killed in the Great War and her father died in the flu epidemic their estate passed to a distant relative (shades of Jane Austen!) leaving the remaining female family members somewhat impoverished. Daisy is quite cheerful about working for a living though, and being a society girl doors open for her, so she’s off to Wentwater Court to to write a story for T ...more
Jim
Shades of Downton Abbey! Well, that was the reason I tried it. I really liked Downton Abbey & hadn't thought I would, but there's a charm & many lessons in the old manor lifestyle during the sweeping changes of the 1920s which we're undergoing as well.

What was surprising was that a 'cozy mystery' could be so well done. The mystery was quite a good one & I was given the same information as the investigators, so had the same opportunity to solve it. I really appreciate that & the
Judy
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cozy mystery is a good choice for a light read. I enjoyed this first installment about Daisy Dalrymple, who is trying to establish herself as magazine writer. The mystery was a good one, and there is a hint of a later romance. I think I will look at others in this series.
Leah
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, crime, new-to-me
An entertaining cosy...

It’s 1923, and the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple, daughter of a viscount, has broken with tradition by getting a job. Hired by an up-market magazine to write articles on stately homes, her aristocratic background is useful in allowing her to mingle on an equal footing with the owners and their families. So as the book begins, Daisy is on her way to stay at Wentwater Court, home of the Earl of Wentwater.

Daisy is not the only guest and she soon finds that the house is filled w
Amy
I have indulged in quite a few detective novels recently and this one is my favorite so far. I get why people refer to it as a "cozy." Its a comfortable read, light and fun but still puzzling. Who killed Lord Astwick? Everyone has a motive but our flapper-turned-journalist heroine. I liked Daisy's character, she's charming. I like Chief Inspector Alec, who lets be honest, reminded me of Chief Inspector Jack Robinson from Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (the show, not those awful books.)
Veronica
A comfortable enough historical cozy with likable characters, most notably the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple who hasn't let drastic changes in her family's fortunes get her down. The mystery behind the murder was interesting enough but failed to find traction as the mystery is eventually solved through confession as opposed to any specific sleuthing. The ending also was a bit of a disappointment due to my feeling that the author let everyone off far too easily. Or maybe I just like a bit more darkn ...more
Leslie
Mostly enjoyable first book in a cozy mystery series set in England during the 1920s. I did find myself questioning some of the slang used (such as a maid in a country house saying "wizard" to mean 'cool', 'neat', 'exciting' -- I know that this term originated in the early 1920s but it seems out of place for this character).

I also had some problems with the ending. (view spoiler)
Cassandra
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anfangs ziemlich viele Charaktere, aber dann hatte mich die Story.
Annegret
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ein unterhaltsamer britischer Krimi!
Olga Godim
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Reading this book was pure, unmitigated pleasure. Although it is the first novel of the series, it’s not the first Daisy Dalrymple mystery I’ve read. I have already read several others in no particular order and I have to admit: I enjoyed them all. I love the lead characters, I love the setting – England in the 1920s – and I absolutely adore Carola Dunn’s easy and expressive writing style. Especially her sweet British vocabulary, which makes the experience of reading her novels so delightful.
In
Kathleen
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the Daisy Dalrymple series set in England in 1923 fills in many of the details of Daisy’s background. First, her losses – her dear brother Gervaise’s death in WWI, her fiancé Michael’s death, her father’s death from the deadly influenza epidemic, and her family home passing on to the next male heir, a cousin.
Faced with living with her cousin and her “ghastly” mother, Daisy, daughter of a Viscount, chooses to move in with her photographer friend, Lucy Fotheringay and bear the di
Aerykah
This book was pretty good... I wish I had time to say more about it, but I don't. :/

Warning: there is some bad language in this one.
Blücher Bücher Blog
Wenn auch nicht spannend, ist dieser Krimi charmant und unterhaltsam. Ihr erster Fall führt die 25-jährige Miss Daisy im tiefsten Winter nach Wentwater Court. Dort wird der unsympathische Lord Stephen tot im zugefrorenen See aufgefunden. Alle glauben bzw. hoffen, es sei ein Unfall. Doch Miss Daisy weiß es besser. Zusammen mit den feschen Chief Inspector von Scotland Yard nimmt sie die Ermittlungen auf und beweist einigen Einfallsreichtum.
Hannah
A very enjoyable first installment in the Daisy Dalrymple series, one that would definitely please fans of historical mysteries. This, I think, is one of those series that are far better read in order. I had actually picked up Dead in the Water (Book 6) by mistake a long time ago and remember not liking it half as much as I liked this one. In hindsight, I realize it's because the latter books jump straight into the mystery without much backstory, and you barely know either Daisy or Alec (as most ...more
Jessie
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Ugh. Well that was a flat story.Flat like an opened Coke bottle that has resided in the fridge for over a week, and in a moment of desperation for something sweet and refreshing you lunge for said beverage and gulp it down, only to fall weeping to the floor as you try to scrape away the sensation of fizz-less syrup congealing to your tongue, and no feeling of satisfaction to be found anywhere.

I thought I could happily get away with reading a fun, light, mystery. One that happened to be magically
Jessica D Kaufman
Dec 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Meh

Doesn't add up, too easy a solution, very convenient. Not like real life at all except for the rich getting off--though the author has made it seem ok since the deceased was supposedly such a bad person. Cheesy. I won't waste my time with more from this author.
Lee
First books in mystery/detective series can be tough. The author has to introduce the main characters and establish their personalities, one of whom we need to find very likeable, as well as give us a bit of background on those characters, without using information dumps or corny flashbacks. Then, they need to bait us enough in the ending to ensure we pick up book number two in the series. Dunn’s effort ticked all the boxes all while presenting a half decent murder plot.

Considering there are cu
Andree
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. A fairly standard cozy mystery, but I enjoyed it. I like Daisy. She's perky without crossing a line over into obnoxious. I enjoy her as aspiring magazine writer, perhaps one day novelist. I also really like her dynamic with Detective Alec.

Also, liked the lack of peril.

Don't have a lot to say about this - it wiled away a few hours.
Erin
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light and fun!
Alisha
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aristocratic magazine writer Daisy Dalrymple shows up at a country house to do research for an article. But she gets sidetracked when the most unliked guest at the house turns up mysteriously dead one morning.

Daisy and Alec Fletcher, the Chief Inspector sent down from Scotland Yard, work together to take statements of all the suspects and figure out whodunnit. Clear setup for those two to continue to work together in future books.

Enjoyed about two-thirds of this book; the resolution was spread
Stacie  Haden
I look forward to the rest of the series!

England, 1923
Sonja
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
England 1923: Die 25-jährige Daisy Dalrymple ist zwar adelig, dennoch möchte sie als Journalistin arbeiten. Nach dem Tod ihres Vaters möchte sie nicht auf die Mildtätigkeiten ihrer Mutter oder anderer Verwandter angewiesen sein. So ist sie glücklich, dass sie für eine Zeitschrift eine Serie über alte Herrenhäuser schreiben darf. Ihr erster Auftrag führt sie nach Wentwater Court, wo neben der Familie auch gerade ihr alter Freund Philipp sowie ein Freund der Familie zu Gast sind. Eines Morgens wir ...more
Christa
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This was my first book by Carola Dunn, and I was entertained by it. This book reminded me of the current "Royal" series by Rhys Bowen. I enjoyed the character of Daisy Dalrymple, as well as that of Detective Alec Fletcher. I like historical mysteries, so am glad to have found this entertaining series.

Daisy Dalrymple, daughter of a viscount, has elected to work in the early 1920's rather than be dependant upon family members. She heads to Wentwater Court to write a magazine article, but shortly a
A very charming book!

I found this book to be an entertaining, well written, fast-paced read that kept me guessing right up until the 'big reveal' was made.

I loved the main characters of Daisy Dalrymple and Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher.

I also felt that the author captured the both setting and the lingo of 1920's Britain quite nicely.

I own the second book in this series, and was planning on reading another book next, but I do believe I'll be moving on to The Winter Garden Mystery next instead.
Hettie
This is a nice gentle read. A great choice is you do not want anything too challenging.

It is set in the 1920's and I grew to really like Daisy. I did really hate the resolution to the case but maybe it is true to the time period it is set in I am not sure. The few pages did reassure me about other books in the series.

This is not a series that I will go and buy myself but I will actively look for them in the library and charity shops so I can continue Daisy's story.
Peter
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes these are not the greatest pieces of writing and who cares. I read these because after reading rather heavy on the mind books, these are a way of letting off steam. They are a simple fun read, bizarre and off kilter, easy on the brain murder mysteries.

A feet up cuppa tea book to chill and unwind...
Nathan
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cindy
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, have read them all. ♥
Book Concierge
Digital audiobook performed by Bernadette Dunn

Daisy Dalrymple is the daughter of a Viscount, but she has made the rather shocking decision to make her own way as a writer. She lands an assignment for a series of magazine articles on country manor houses, and finds herself at Wentwater Court in January 1923 to begin research on her first piece. Lord Wentwater’s young wife has recently been the focus of some unwanted amorous attention, and several guests express obvious jealousy and animosity. So
Megan
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Likable main characters, but a fairly predictable mystery*. The pacing fell apart in the last 3 or 4 chapters with an unnecessarily long explanation of what transpired before that point and what was going to happen to the culprit.

Since the main character was not irritating, I probably would try another in the series in hopes of an improved mystery.

*Listened to the audiobook on a road trip with my husband and another friend. We dissected the story as we went, which may have made it easier to fi
  • Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1)
  • After the Armistice Ball (Dandy Gilver, #1)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
  • Million Dollar Baby (A Marjorie McClelland Mystery, #1)
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • The Affair of the Blood-Stained Egg Cosy (Burford Family, #1)
  • Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)
  • Away with the Fairies (Phryne Fisher, #11)
  • Murder on Astor Place (Gaslight Mystery, #1)
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Bellfield Hall (A Dido Kent Mystery #1)
  • Mark of the Lion (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #1)
  • The Tale of Hill Top Farm (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #1)
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a ...more

Daisy Dalrymple (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)