Start by marking “Player” as Want to Read:
Player

Player

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  2,859 Ratings  ·  241 Reviews
JOCK, SPORT, MEATHEAD, PLAYER. I hate them all. Especially this one. He's rude, he's crude and he thinks he is God's gift to women.

James Fitzpatrick might have started out on the wrong side of the tracks, but his skills on the football field have brought him fame and glory. Now he's forgotten where he came from.

Hell, he's even forgotten me, the snot nosed brat from next do
Published July 12th 2015 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published May 17th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Player, please sign up.

Mysza
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
*** 3,5 stars ***

I quite liked this one. It was short, I've read in one day, which is a huge success for me being a slow reader. So I'd recommend it if you want to read something light in between longer books.

But anyway, there is Nadine, a girl who is struggling to make ends meet, shuffling between two jobs to get her education and there is also James, golden quarterback, big shot college football player. He is dining at the place she works and hits on her, she turns him down and we all know ho
BabyBeth
Jul 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
***1 Not-Enough-Alcohol-In-The-World-To-Make-Me-Read-Another-Joanna-Blake-Novel lone star***

This was bad. So bad I wanted to hurt myself. So bad I had to continue reading, because at some point, it was so bad - it was actually pretty good - in a fucked-up way, because hey, Blake cannot be for real. If one of my GF friends will enlighten me in the comments and tell me this is a parody, a satire, I'd quickly change this review to a five-star one and crown Joanna Blake as the new queen of comedy. T
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
Really loved this one as it was just what I needed. Yes he was a player before Nadine but even he felt bad about that when it counted. To see this guy fall so hard and completely change was awesome. So cute, funny, sexy and hot. Loved it.
CC
Shelves: safe-for-me

This was a surprisingly enjoyable read. For a short NA book, it had a good story and the MC's had some development. I liked both James and Nadine. James was admirably devoted, especially for such a manwhore!

There was a bit of drama but it was quickly resolved. None of it involved OW! Very low angst.

Safety Gang safe

Ashleyjo

I wanted to like this story. I really, really did. I love an underdog story. I love a jock loves the non-sorority girl story. And, if I could've ignored the first 80% of the book, I would have loved the 'we make it big' HEA.

Sadly, though, the writer lost me with insufferable characters set up in a too good to be true world long before she let these characters play nice and get a HEA.

I'd Like To Tell The Author The Story Of Alpha Male Mountain...

description

There's a gigantic crack that separates the top
Mandy
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a light, quick, and easy story. Not a lot of drama, mild angst, and lots of steamy scenes.
Barbara➰
I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into in the first few pages but I'm glad I stuck it out and continued. I ended up really enjoying this book.

Once I got past James' previous behavior in the beginning, I absolutely loved him. He was a great hero...that OTT possessive alpha I love. I really liked how he went after Nadine and never, ever wavered. He just would not let her go. He was awesome!

Nadine's past broke my heart. She did grate on my nerves a wee bit with her insecurities and self-doub
EgyptDiva
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Well this was a really quick read ! Their relationship moved too too fast for me to get invested enough in them, and some phrases like "her sweet little box" and her "sugary walls" started to grate on my nerves lol. But anyway, the hero was smitten with her that it was kinda cute, if you need a filler light read, then this book is for you.

The book is safe, no OW/OM to speak of. The hero was an ex-manwhore but at the beginning he says he feels dirty afterwards and he's sick of them. By
 ♥Ana♥
Nov 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is one of those books that you're just left thinking: What the Hell did i just read???? And not in a good way!!!
Theresa
Jul 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
I just lost respect for the heroine Nadine when she was disgusted by James's drawer full of condoms and lube AFTER they had sex the first time. What??? Like she didn't know he was a player BEFORE they had sex? She was such a level headed survivor I just didn't buy her losing her head when she decided to have sex with James. She needed to take ownership of her sexuality like she took control of the other parts of her life.

And then Nadine lost her head again when she had sex with James WITHOUT A C
Anne OK
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
A sports-related romance (football) and I couldn't resist the 99-cent sale price. But it just didn't work for me. I stayed with it through to the end though. Too little storyline that wasn't built to last and too much insta-sex without real meaning. It did end with a nicely done happily-ever-after.
Christine
3.5/4 stars

Not a bad read. The writing is not 5 stars, but it was a nice story with nice characters. The hero was pushy about having sex which I would have found annoying since he had no idea what was really going, but it fit his personality and he never did anything out of malice.

It was a decent read. I liked it.
 B.E.Love
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars
I can't lie when I first started reading this book I didn't know it was NA. I used to love NA but the older I get the less I read it. but the writing and the beginning of the story really pulled me in so I kept reading. Liked this one. I liked the storyline and the characters, it was a fast fun read. I will say I had some frustrating moments with the heroine. Liked her but she was a little too weepy at times for me and with everything she went through I don't blame her but she says se
Maya
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
BASICS

Love triangle? (view spoiler)
Cheating? (view spoiler)
HEA? (view spoiler)
Any Descriptive Sex w/OW/OM/Ex? (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author/or in this series? Maybe, but not for now.
Rating: 3 stars

Review

This one has definitely insta-love from H's point of view but h wasn't far behind. It is a short sweet love story and the best parts for me are the ones that involve the cat. I don't know if it ju
Deserie williams
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a short enjoyable read! I liked this more than I thought.I love how James was obessed with her from the beginning and went after what he wanted! Nadine annoyed me a little at times(with the running away) but I'm glad it was resolved quick. The ending was how I like my HEA but I really wanted his reaction! Of course it's never enough for me:D

Safety: Well in beginning he is in a strip club but doesn't do anything. he is thinking about how it use to be fun but now he is disgusted with hims
100sweet
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh, I loved this one. This author writes fabulous heroes. They are super obsessive, possessive, and protective. I loved that the H constantly lusts for the h. Many times we see the passion in the relationship fizzle out once the couple has had sex. Not with this H, he wanted the h all the time. Let me tell you the sex scenes were scorching!!!
Emily
James Fitzpatrick knows his talent has opened up his world, growing up in poverty is not a life he wants to live again. Football player, he knows his time is coming before he hits the big league. He can have any girl he wants, they throw themselves on him and he accepts all the have to offer but nothing serious will come from any of them. Then he sees the waitress at the rib joint, he wants her, she acts like she can't stand him.

Nadine can't believe the ego of James, they grew up next door to on
Lucy Edwards
Jul 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
After reading BRO by this author and not liking it one bit,I decided to give this a go just I case it was any better....it really wasn't.
But first I just want to say that this story had so much potential, it just wasn't given a chance to. It was all too forced and rushed that it became instantly unrealistic.
I hated the way the author tried to make the lead guy sound like a hot, womanising stud. He just came off as a bit of a douche to me.
One minute the lead female hated his guts and the next sh
Paige Turner
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect!

Player is everything you look for in a Romance novel.
Two childhood friends who reconnecting with each other again as young adults. James falls hard for Nadine and knows he can't live without her. Nadine has struggled most of her life just trying to survive so she is a bit reluctant to accept his help.
I liked the way both characters were written. James was bossy but not jerky and Nadine was headstrong and dependant but sweet at the same time.
It contained every romance book cliche but t
Ashi- A hopeless romantic girl :D
pretty clichè book- possessive alpha hero + sweet , at times feisty determined poor barely meeting the needs heroine + lust at first sight + hero being the care taker + hero keeps chasing the heroine + step father trying to rape her.
so yeah believe me i love clichè like this so, what i can say about the book is that the book sure had the potential but it was nothing special and it kinda feel like a mess to me -.-
Bookloverme
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read this last night. I love it! It doesn't matter to me if the hero was a manwhore, what matters is that he became loyal to the heroine once he met her or once he decided to pursue her. And that's what happened here in the book. And it was a light read. I enjoyed reading this book and will read Her other books too.
Samantha Larkin
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Charlene
Playa.
Sue
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love this author's books...they are the perfect sexy, funny and down-to-earth type of romantic read that always make me feel happy.
James is that handsome lady-killer jock who has a bright future in the big leagues and all the women falling at his feet and into his bed.
Nadine is the object of his affection...a hard-working student who is waiting tables and trying to make ends meet, but failing miserably. These two have a history, having grown up as next door neighbors, until the day Nadin
Lauren
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Plot: C-
I didn't really care for the plot. It was kind of cliche, and wasn't done as well as I would've liked. I didn't connect with the characters. And all the running from feelings was annoying. It seemed more like some teenager's dream. There were some continuity issues. Like James mentioning FSU in reference to Miami (though I believe it's in Tallahassee) and then later saying University of Miami. Also, things like being given a car, apartment, cash, etc...seems like it's against th
K.L. Donn
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joanna is one of those authors that gets better with time. Her stories are always amazing but her writing has taken on a whole new level with PLAYER! I thoroughly enjoy the fact that her men get hit by the bug as soon as they see their girls, It’s actually one of the reasons I’m always going back for more and can reread her books many times.
James and Nadine have a past, but James was oblivious to it until she puts him in his place (I love this girls attitude) she thinks he’ll be turned off and b
Submit & Devour
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A broken heroine, plenty of steamy scenes, and an alpha male that refuses to take no for an answer; all make for a good, fun read.

James "Fitz" Fitzpatrick is an up and coming football star who can have anyone he wants and as set his sites on Nadine.
Nadine, has not time relationship, really she has no time for anyone as she spends every moment working and going to school so she does not end up like her mother. She shuns guys away because of a bit of a difficult past. Between James cockiness and N
Chianti Summers
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Given a copy for an honest review! Joanna Blake always finds a way to make you fall in love with her characters. James "Fitzy" is a star player and Nadine "Deanie" is a girl that is a survivor with a lot of determination. Nadine left a life behind but she never forgot the boy next door. James worked at making a clear future for himself even with the supporters he still needed to work. What he didn't expect was the girl from his childhood to come in and tackle his world. These two were a perfect ...more
Sbell
2.75 STARS:
Don't let the rating fool you, because I did like this book. The story had vast potential. There were a few reasons this book just missed the mark for me. First, the heroine was not only immature, but also had tremendously low self esteem. Her always wondering if James was "there for her" was annoying. James showed this in so many ways. Secondly, the story was under developed. Everything was a rush, and not enough time developing the past/present storyline. Thirdly, CHARACTER DEVELOPM
  • The Truth About Numbnuts and Chubbs (NYC Confidential #1)
  • Payne (House Of Payne #1)
  • Tripp (My Way, #2)
  • The Final KO (Final Love, #1)
  • His Safe Keeping (Safe, #1)
  • Honey Red
  • Love’s Tempting (The Love's, #2)
  • The Science of Loving
  • The Taming (Black Thunder, #1)
  • Manaconda (Hammered, #1)
  • A Reason to Live (Reason, #3)
  • Hiding in Plain Sight
  • Taking the Fall: The Complete Series (Taking the Fall, #1-4)
  • Brett's Little Headaches
  • Right To My Wrong (The Heroes of The Dixie Wardens MC, #8)
  • Gavin's Submissives (Creek Valley, #1)
  • Pursuing (Alluring, #3)
  • Big Bad Bite (Big Bad Bite, #1)
Joanna Blake loves good old fashioned romance, men who open doors and work with their hands. Hot Blooded Heroes is a series of sizzling stories about True Blue American men and the women who love them. She's thrilled to be collaborating with Pincushion Press on her new series! Come along for the ride!
XoX,
Joanna
*********

Sign up for Joanna's mailing list for news on new releases, special book deals
More about Joanna Blake

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Two By Two
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“She was letting me in. That’s what I wanted. What I was starting to realize was that this wasn’t just a fling. I could not just tag her and move on. Fuck, for the first time in my life, I didn’t want to.” 1 likes
“James had my cat. He had taken her hostage. It was brilliant. Cruel, but brilliant. He’d done the one thing that I couldn’t fight back against. He’d won. Checkmate.” 0 likes