Start by marking “Supersymmetry (Superposition, #2)” as Want to Read:
Supersymmetry (Superposition, #2)

Supersymmetry

(Superposition #2)

Ryan Oronzi is a paranoid, neurotic, and brilliant physicist who has developed a quantum military technology that could make soldiers nearly invincible in the field. The technology, however, gives power to the quantum creature known as the varcolac, which slowly begins to manipulate Dr. Oronzi and take over his mind. Oronzi eventually becomes the unwilling pawn of the varc ...more
Published September 1st 2015 by Pyr / Prometheus Books

To ask other readers questions about Supersymmetry, please sign up.
Kanta Yes, it has the same family as protagonists (especially Alex/Sandra Kelley). It's set fifteen years after the first book.

Start your review of Supersymmetry (Superposition, #2)
Bradley
Sep 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I wanted to like this more. I really did.

Anything that brings to life the littlest of particles and turns them into living, breathing macrocosmic entities has got my fourteen thumbs of flipped approval. I thought the action sequences were quite out of a superhero movie, with teleportation, flight, and even a Doctor Doom blowing up cities from safely behind another dimension while the rest of us contemplate the wonders of time travel and decide how to get around all the timey-wimey st
Justine
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
3.5 Stars

This was good but not as quite as good as the first book. I really liked the characters, and there were moments that the villains deservedly reached evil genius status, but the story didn't have quite the same page turning quality as I thought Superposition had.

Nevertheless, it was very readable and I would recommend it to anyone who read and enjoyed Superposition.
Jason Pettus

The older and more experienced I get as a professional book reviewer, the more I'm realizing that there are in fact two radically different types of science-fiction novel out there, a genre which I've been faithfully (if not indiscriminately) reading since I was a kid; there are the science-fic
Lindsay
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid sequel to the first explaining much that the first one left unresolved and with far more compelling characters. The science goes way out there though. The first was an interesting play on the boundaries of quantum physics and an exploration of those concepts. This one goes way beyond that into some very speculative versions of our current theories of physics.

Alex and Sandra, the "twins" from the first book, have grown up to be very different people. Alex has followed
Adam J E L
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Supersymmetry
5 Stars - Walton brings back the Kelley family and even more twists, as the varcolac comes to visit again!

Where I like Superposition, I loved Supersymmetry. It never slows down, never gives you time to think you know what is coming. David Walton showcases time travel and many other new toys in the quantum physics arsenal.

Between the varcolac, time travel, teleporting and so on, Walton again shows us that he can tether all these great ideas into a story that reads just
Cheryl
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is kind of a follow up to Superposition. It features the Kelley family. Also, I can't forget the varcolac. The reason I say that this book is "kind of" because if you have not read Superposition, then you still will be drawn to this book but I can tell you that after finishing this book, you will want to go back and pick up a copy. I could not stop reading this book. When I did put it down for a moment, I was already half way done. Of course, when I could, I rushed back to this book an ...more
Starcatbooks
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Following on its prequel, SUPERPOSITION, this starts 15 years later with some of the original characters, including the family affected by the varcolac in Superposition.

The varcolac is back, as can be seen from a disaster in a stadium at the beginning of the novel, where among other things that occur, the father of the family -- being in range of the varcolac's influence -- gets split in two, one of him staying in the stadium and the other going home. By the end of the disaster, his
Linda
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Enjoyable only because it was the second book in a series and I was curious what was in store for Alex and Sandra. However, there were not as many puzzles to try and figure out so the beginning was not as mysterious as in Superposition. Also, the science got to be too much for me to want to follow along with, and the fact that 3 of the 4 siblings "just happened" to be involved with the disaster but in different capacities had me rolling my eyes. But it was a quick read and I did enjoy the ending ...more
DJ
4/5 Rating Originally posted at https://mylifemybooksmyescape.wordpre...

More plot twists and thrilling action, but now, with time-travel!

*Disclaimer: I was provided with a review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion*

After reading Superposition I was impressed by both how much Walton had improved from the first novel I'd read by him, and by how great the story was (my review). Now, after readi/>More
Jasper
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2015...

Earlier this year I read David Walton's Superposition, the book to which Supersymmetry is the sequel. I knew David Walton from a different epic fantasy book Quintessence which took be by surprise, which also happened with Superposition, I am a big fan of Science Fiction that could well play into our current time frame. This is precisely what David Walton did in Superposition, when you meddle with quantum physics... You can open a whole load of unpleasantness...

Sup
Gerhard
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f, 2017
I always thought that Dark Matter by Blake Crouch was a watered-down version of Superposition by David Walton, and this fast-paced, intriguing sequel proves that. Although there is only one reference to ‘supersymmetries’, in a single sentence mentioning M-theory and branes. Go figure. My eyes tend to glaze over when a writer has to introduce diagrams to explain his point of view, but these are placed so artfully in the climax, and become such an integral part of the plot, that it really works in this instance. Thi ...more
Shonanne
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing, no matter how many times I read this

I loved both books in this series. Hikes in the science, but after all, that’s why quantum physics makes for really good or really BAD stories. This is one of the great ones. Just stretched enough to make a world where you can immerse yourself.
BJ Thompson
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The science seems like a future we could live in soon. The story is interesting and is fast enough to keep me turning the pages. There are times when there is too much science talk, but for the type of book it is to be expected and needed for most people unless you have a strong science background.

Enjoyed and will keep an eye out for more from the author
Joseph F Cowan
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great sequel to Superposition

Very well written in order to be interesting and yet accurate in extrapolating quantum physics to the macroscopic universe. Engaging characters and smooth dialogue. I want more.
Patrick St-Denis
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
In my review of David Walton's The Genius Plague, I explained that my copies of his quantum physics murder mysteries Superposition and Supersymmetry had been sitting on my "books to read" pile for a very long time. I'd always known that I'd get to them at some point, but there was always another novel/series that got in the way. But The Genius Plague turned out to be such a good read that I decided it was high time to read Walton's two science fiction technothrillers.

And Superpositio
Jeanne Boyarsky
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
While I liked the first book better, this one was still pretty good!

The varcolac is back due to an experiment by a different scientist. One (or two) of the characters from the first book are all grown up. The implications of the same person splitting and then developing different personalities/lives is an interesting one. Kind of like nature vs nurture on steroids.

The idea of the varcolac being able to influence events in the future/past is an interesting one. As is the "
Alejandra
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A decent continuation to the first book in the series. Somewhat predictable, boring new characters, but with an interesting growth to the split in two Alessandra we got to meet in the previous book. It presents some ideas that make you (or at least made me) think about what actually makes us who we are, and if one choice or event changes our identity completly, do we ever know who we are despite constantly changing? do we have a corner stone that is inmutable? intriguing food for thought. Again ...more
Christopher Steinsvold
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I put a book down because I lose interest, and sometimes I put a book down because my mind has taken a big chunk from the book and must digest it. Sometimes I put a book down because I'd rather read the news, and sometimes I put a book down because I am enjoying it so much that I want to savor it, I simply don't want it to end.

I was in a reading slump when I found Supersymmetry in a library. There is so much going on in the book, so many unexpected twists and turns right from the star
Erin
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable follow-up to Superposition. It lacks the murder mystery component, but I enjoyed the aspects of quantum physics, the multiverse, black holes, and time travel. The villains were a bit mustache-twirly, but not enough to ruin the story for me.
Kerrie
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun (and mind boggling) second book in the Superposition series. Not sure if there will be a third, but if there is, I will definitely read it!
Clay Haase
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review brought by Geekly Review

‘Supersymmetry’, by David Walton, is the just-released continuation of ‘Superposition’. A technothriller very much in the same spirit and kind as the beginning of the duology, it is engrossing and fascinating, and features very similar themes that are explored throughout the book. It is fast-paced, and filled with action and mystery, and if you’ve read ‘Superposition’ you’ll definitely know what to expect from this book.

‘Supersymmetry’ follows Ryan Oronzi,
Aimee
Review originally posted at Reading Lark: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2015/...

With Supersymmetry, the second novel in his Superposition series, David Walton once again delivers the kind of fresh and philosophical science fiction I have come to expect.

Supersymmetry finds the twins, Alex and Sandra, grown up and apart, living separate lives. They are drawn back together and into danger when their father is killed along with hundreds of others in an explosion that destroys a baseball stadium. As Sandra works the
chinmay
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kevin
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, sci-fi
David Walton’s Supersymmetry is a sequel that’s not a sequel. I’ve not read the previous book, Superposition, but I followed this book perfectly fine as it stands alone easily. It possibly helps that the story takes place 15 years after the first book, so every reader will need some catching up on what’s been going on. I get the impression they make a good pair though, which is apt given the amount of duality involved in this story.

The story takes place in a not too distant future. O
Karin
Supersymmetry is a great followup to Superposition. In my review of Superposition I pointed out one of the great character moments for Jacob Kelly was his connection with his teenage daughter Alessandra. In Supersymmetry we leave Jacob behind and follow his, now twin, daughters, Alex and Sandra, as they try to solve the mystery of an imploded stadium and battle the varcolac again.

I really liked all of the primary characters. Alex and Sandra, who are the same person split by contact w
Aya
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book through goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, I have to say that the very first page hooked me throughout the whole book. I remember reading about Jacob Kelley and how he was at the baseball game and at first I thought, what in the world is happening, is he having a heart attack or something? But nooo, it was the whole stadium that suddenly collapses, it just made it seem that he was the one having like a medical condition.

I was totally hooked
Roy
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Not quite as good as the original novel Superposition, this novel takes place 15 years after the first. The main device of the novels is that there is a way to make quantum effects occur in the macroscopic world which provides the equivalent of near superhuman capabilities such as teleportation, walking through walls, moving objects at a distance, etc. It can also can split people in two based on a decision event providing a superposition event in the quantum mechanical sense. Ultimately, the pl ...more
Henry Lazarus
Nov 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
David Walton continues his tale of an artificially life form that lives on the quantum computer that is the Universe. The Varcolac returns fifteen years after the events of Superposition (paper). Ryan Oronzi has created a separate universe and is using it to allow quantum effects like teleportation and Supersymmetry (Trade from Pyr). Jacob Kelly, the hero of the first tale is murdered by an implosion at a Baseball Stadium. His daughters, Sandra a cop, and Alex, a physicist (they were the same pe ...more
Rebecca
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
The events in this book occur fifteen years after those in Superposition. While I enjoyed this book, I didn't find it quite as exciting as Superposition. It was still enjoyable, and at the end I couldn't stop listening (this was an audiobook for me).

The first book was a murder mystery and Schrodinger's cat mashed up together, and the events centered around the Kelley family. In Supersymmetry, the events are bigger, and global in scale, and involved time travel. That being said, I fel
Sean Randall
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first chapter hurls us straight into this exciting, non-stop edge-of-your-seat thrill ride. I really enjoyed the whole thing, and although it seemed a shame that Jacob didn't have much of a showing otherwise it was a fantastic story, putting me in mind of a Doug Richards novel quite a lot. Walton's crafted a superb follow-on, and That loaded question in the very final chapter keeps the universe wide open for other stories.

• Karma of the Silo (Karma #1-5)
  • Love in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction
  • The Rise of the Automated Aristocrats (Burton & Swinburne, #6)
  • Geosynchron (Jump 225, #3)
  • Tomorrow's Kin (Yesterday's Kin Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dreams Our Stuff is Made Of: How Science Fiction Conquered the World
  • Not on Fire, but Burning
  • iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)
  • Cash Crash Jubilee (Jubilee Cycle, #1)
  • The Beautiful Land
  • Dragon Coast (Daniel Blackland, #3)
  • Daybreak Zero (Daybreak, #2)
  • Revision
  • The Dark Intercept (The Dark Intercept, #1)
  • Solar Express
  • The Trials (The Red #2)
  • The Dark Side
  • 101 Artists To Listen To Before You Die
David loves to read science fiction and lives near Philadelphia with his wife and eight children. His latest book, THREE LAWS LETHAL, is about self-driving cars and the AIs that drive them.

"Three Laws Lethal gives the reader exciting insights into the threats and the promises that are coming our way."
—Vernor Vinge

"Walton has brought hard sci-fi roaring back to life."

Superposition (2 books)
  • Superposition (Superposition, #1)
“He should call it Oronzi’s Law: Any sufficiently-advanced intelligence will be indistinguishable from insanity.” 2 likes
“I guess if you’re smart enough, you can do and say what you like and people just call you eccentric. It’s like being old.”
“Or rich,” Alex said.”