Start by marking “Unsurprisingly Complicated (Unexpected #2)” as Want to Read:
Unsurprisingly Complicated (Unexpected #2)

Unsurprisingly Complicated (Unexpected #2)

AJ

The lies between my parents and I came to light and now I’m working on a new life for myself. Along the way, I have my trusty superhero, Mason, to lean on when I have a hard time standing or when my crazy ex-boyfriend continues to feel he has a claim on me.
Porter has trouble understanding that there hasn’t been an ‘us’ for more than three years plus all the issues he h
Published April 30th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Unsurprisingly Complicated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unsurprisingly Complicated

S.M. West
5 “9 and 10 go to together, no matter what” STARS

“A love story, his and mine. Ordinary, and yet extraordinary. One, unlike any other.”

This series captured my heart with the first book, Unlike Any Other. The Colthurst-Decker family hold a special place in my heart and Ainsley Janine (AJ) is such an awesome, real, kickass female character. I simply adore her! I was really looking forward to this book, Mason Bradley just did things to me...

...in the first book. I seriously wanted to see him and Ai
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Book – Unsurprisingly Complicated (Unexpected #2)
Author – Claudia Burgoa
Publication Date – April 30, 2015
Genre – New Adult Romance
Type – Companion Series
Cliffhanger – No
Rating – 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story
After finishing up Unlike Any Other, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this one. I wanted to know what happened next to Mason and Nine and if they would finally find true love.

Ms. Burgoa definitel
Cass
Jul 21, 2015 Cass rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
English Review

You can read this novel as a standalone but you will better understand the characters if you read the first volume. I think it can be confusing without reading the first one (which is a very good book, so read it !) It’s the story about AJ and Mason, told in dual POV.

Who says AJ, says her guys : her fathers Gabe and Chris, and her brothers MJ and JC. You can’t not love them. Her fathers are hyper protective and her brothers are… what brothers are  they made me giggling more time
✿kawehi.reviews
May 11, 2015 ✿kawehi.reviews rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
☆ I received an RC via the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!! ☆

3.75 stars!!

For an up and coming author, Claudia Burgoa is definitely a rare talent wading to break out at the seams.

After finishing bk1, I had been waiting to see what would be in the future of both AJ and Mason.

Nonsurprisingly, in eloquent fashion, the threads to their history and subsequent romance are as intricate and complicated as ever.

I had a wide range of thoughts and reactions while going into and reading
Rosa Sharon (iScream Books)
Live with no regrets...
This was my introduction to the author, Claudia Y. Burgos. Yes, I started with book #2. Thankfully I read a review that gave me a breakdown of the characters and details so that I didn't start out as confused as some others. I jumped right in and had no problems understanding what was going on. However; I am kind of intrigued about Chris & Gabe's love story and might go back to read it later. I must say that AJ is my hero in this book, even though it's Mason that does
Pam
Mar 15, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read
Thought to come...but it was wonderful!!

This is Mason's book. It picks up right after Gabe's book and continues. I love Burgoa's writing...she creates such complex characters and Mason is very complex. The boy has issues. And Nine is there the whole way waiting for Mase to get his shit together as he continually wrestles with his internal dialog which ain't helpin! But you can't help but fall in love with the broken little boy.

Interesting happenings with Porter (love that name...I have 4 Porters
Jen
Apr 30, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing
Check out my full review on Bookaholics Not-So-Anonymous.

Ah, where do I even begin with this book?! After reading Unlike Any Other, the first book in the Unexpected series, I had fallen in love with the entire Colthurst-Decker clan and was already chomping at the bit to know what Claudia Burgoa had in store for Ainsley Janine "AJ" Colthurst-Decker and Mason I. H. Bradley. And now, after having finished Unsurprisingly Complicated, the second book in the series, in one sitting, I find myself emoti
Heather / Obsessed With Myshelf
This book was surprisingly good. I have to admit that it took be about 20% to get into this one, though. The beginning contains SO MUCH information that was tossed around a lot that I was really really confused. Let me alleviate any confusion for you: Ainse (also known as Nine to Mason) is a triplet with two brothers. Her parents are a gay couple, Chris and Gabe, who are super famous and thus super rich. Her brothers are apparently in a band of some kind and otherwise work with their parents at ...more
Jody
Apr 30, 2015 Jody rated it it was amazing
As a reader who loves stories full of angst where characters have to work for their HEA I was looking forward to the continuing love story of AJ and Mason begun in the previous installment. This story didn't disappoint as both friends had to work hard to overcome their pasts to become something more. The emotional baggage in this tale was indeed heavy, and instead of being beaten by it, it made them stronger to culminate in a very satisfying story.

In the previous installment my feelings regardin
Caroline F
Mar 10, 2015 Caroline F rated it it was amazing
After reading ‘Unlike Any Other’, I was really looking forward to reading Ainsley and Mason’s story, and the author didn’t disappoint!

This is a standalone novel but it’s worth reading the first one in the series, so that you get a rounder view and understanding of the key characters, as well as background information.

Ainsley and Mason have been friends since childhood, and Mason is pretty devoted to his ‘Nine’. He’s always there for her, even when he’s travelling to mysterious destinations on se
Tina Harris
May 04, 2015 Tina Harris rated it really liked it
4 stars

As we follow AJ continue on her journey of getting better and moving on with her life, her one constant, Mason, is still there to lend a hand when she needs him. But what happens with the way AJ needs Mason changes. AJ is fighting with herself for the way she feels for Mason. Why? Why does she want to be more than just a friend with him? When she knows it could end badly and she would no longer have her friend in her life.

Mason is staying busy with his job. He knows that AJ is working th
Gloria Herrera for As You Wish Reviews
He has loved her dearly since he was eight. She is the one who centers him and offers him the anchor he needs for all his feelings and emotions. Though he has never admitted to her or to himself that he loves her, he has successfully remained in her life to support her and rescue her in times of need. Mason is "Ten" to Ainslie's(AJ) "Nine". They go together.

Well-written,emotional, and extreme engaging, the series continues with the focus on Aj and Mason. This love affair has been int he works fo
Johanna Panko
Apr 29, 2015 Johanna Panko rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-read
Claudia Burgoa
Jul 10, 2014 Claudia Burgoa marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Drue DePompei-Hoffman
Apr 23, 2015 Drue DePompei-Hoffman rated it it was amazing
If I thought I liked book 1, I absolutely fell head over heals for book 2. I love AJ so much she is just a totally awesome kick ass character. And who am I kidding, I've read and loved every book Claudia has published.

In book 1 we get the hint that Mace is totally in love with AJ and has stood on the sideline waiting for the right time. What we did not get in book 1 is the level of damage Mace's view of his own family life growing up has done to his soul.

AJ, while still healing from her own woun
JMV
Apr 24, 2015 JMV rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-review
Received from the author for a honest review. The title fits this story perfectly. The love story of Ainse & Mason was unsurprising but complicating. I alway knew they were meant to be together but their past and up bringing makes their journey very complicating. Ainse has been hurt but is welling to put her heart out there. Mason has alway been there for Ainse but runs away from feelings.
This is the second book of the series and I really enjoy the family of Decker-Colt. They fight, tease a
Angie Bartley
Apr 23, 2015 Angie Bartley rated it it was amazing
A wonderful addition to the series. This is Mason's story. We get to find out exactly what kind of work he does, and learn more about his history. His relationship with AJ grows and changes amid the passion they share. There is plenty of interaction with the rest of the family and learning more about them. There is also danger to be faced and heartbreak. Can't wait for the rest of the series. I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.
K3

AJ

Porter h
books are love
May 28, 2015 books are love rated it it was amazing
This book is about AJ and Mason. About Mason overcoming his fears which do take over when his mom visits. And I do love when gabe and Chris tell the story of Chris's fears here to AJ. It is their book but the ending and the hints about JC and his tragic love story in the past will grab your heartstrings. I don't know what he went through to have him to this point but I am intrigued and so feeling for him.

That is what Claudia Burgoa does through her writing. She entrances you. You are drawn into
Chrissy
Jul 19, 2015 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, read-in-2015
Wow... I'm speechless after finishing this amazing story. I wanted A.J. to get her happily ever after and wanted Mason to be the guy for her, and was thrilled to pick this book up after finishing Unlike Any Other.

A.J. and Mason have been best friends for years, both of them fighting an attraction as they are scared to ruin their friendship. Mason doesn't know what a real relationship looks like and A.J. has only had her horrible one with Porter. Things between these two do not go so well at firs
Heather
Aug 13, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
In Unlike Any Other we delved into AJ’s past relationships both with her parents and her ex. We also learned about the relationship that her parents had built (you could have knocked me over with a feather when I found out who her parents were! I thought Claudia was going in a completely different direction). When I finished Unlike Any Other, I opened Unsurprisingly Complicated immediately.

We are now picking up AJ’s story and intermingling it with Mason’s. What a story it was too. AJ has been th
Anna
Jun 01, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Since Unlike Any Other AJ has moved on in her life and is attempting to move forward in healthy way. She is trying to do things that she missed out on because of the way she grew up and then the abusive relationship she was trapped in. Her ex-boyfriend has been popping up and it is clear that he is not only having some problems, but doesn't think that he and AJ are through, which they most definitely are. AJ finds her feelings for her oldest and most reliable feelings growing stronger and changi ...more
Erica
Dec 26, 2015 Erica rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. After reading book 1 in the series, I was interested in finding out what Claudia had in store for AJ's love story.

Mason and AJ, or Nine and Ten, as they so adorably call one another, have an interesting friendship. In Unlike Any Other, we see a bit of their relationship. Mason has always been there to pick up the pieces when AJ falls apart. From the very start, it is obvious, except maybe to him, why he goes so far for her.

AJ, having revealed her secrets in Book 1, is now r
Sandi
Jul 29, 2015 Sandi rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sandi by: Piece of My Heart Facebook Group
After finishing the first book in this series, Unlike Any Other, I had to dive right into Unsurprisingly Complicated. This is Mason’s story but AJ is definitely present (no surprise there). While AJ is pulling herself together and learning to cope with her grief and loss to become a very strong and still loving woman, Mason is struggling. We learn more about his issues with commitment. Can he move past them to find his own love unlike any other? While I understood Mason’s issues, there were tim ...more
Marie- Naughty Moms' Story Time
Unsurprisingly Complicated is probably the most fitting book title for a story that I have come across.

Not only did we get an emotional story about a strong friendship budding into something more, but Claudia Burgoa one ups the previous book by giving us the added bonus of suspense. Who doesn't have that pesky ex that just doesn't understand things are over and hasn't sabotaged his life so badly that he becomes desperate to save his own butt?

This story not only moved me with the familial bond b
Bookaholic And
Jan 02, 2016 Bookaholic And rated it it was amazing

●▬▬▬▬๑۩ 5 STAR REVIEW ۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

Unsurprisingly Complicated
The Unexpected Series #2
Claudia Burgoa

In your mark, set, get ready to be taken to a wild and emotional ride with AJ and Mason's story.

Being the only girl on the Colthurst-Decker household is not always easy, especially in her unconventional family and AJ must face some harsh times in the hands of the man is supposed to love her but knowing that Mason Bradley her best friend and superhero is there to pick her up she
Michela Walters
A nice second book to this series.

Once I'd completed reading Unlike Any Other, I fell in love with these characters. This book tells the tale of AJ and Mase, friends since childhood. Mason's father is AJ's parents bodyguard. They've had this amazing friendship and Mase has come to AJ's rescue on numerous occasions.

At the conclusion of the last book, AJ has taken some time to get herself together and give herself time to grieve. She's decided to move back to Seattle to be closer to her brothers
The BookWhisperer
May 17, 2015 The BookWhisperer rated it it was amazing
The continuation of the Decker story in Unsurprisingly Complicated was unsurprising spectacular. I love this family even with all of their dysfunction; this is the family that you crave to be a part of. There is no shortage of love and support in this unusual family. Mason not a part of the family has always hovered in the background. His life is full of quite a few scars, but yet he has made the best of his life. With his amazing career packed full of excitement and intensity he has moments tha ...more
Hooked On Books
May 17, 2015 Hooked On Books rated it really liked it
☆☆Reviewed for Hooked On Books☆☆

I gave this book 4. 5 stars!

I was so excited to read this book because I had read the first one. Each book is a standalone but you meet all the characters in the first book. This book starts right before book one ends.

I what I loved the most is you get to see a strong family bond and that a friendship can survive anything. Each of the characters are different but easy to follow.

AJ has had a abuse past, after coming clean to her family and decided to get help. Sh
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Phoenix (Bellator Saga, #4)
  • Perfect 10
  • All It Takes
  • The Guardians (The MORE Trilogy, #2)
  • Before the Fall (Broken Angel, #3)
  • Interference (Pilots Hockey, #3)
  • All Note Long (Perfect Harmony, #3)
  • Rolling in the Deep (Lopez Brothers, #1)
  • Heat It Up
  • Lead Me Not
  • Rebound Remedy
  • Unblocked - Episode Five (Timber Towers, #5)
  • Incendiary (Phoenix Rising Rock Band, #2)
  • Mr. and Mr. Smith (Tough Love #1)
  • Rikki (Hart University, #1)
  • Deep (Pagano Family, #4)
  • Swoon
  • Telling Tales
7202946
Claudia grew up with a childhood that resembled a caffeine-injected soap opera. Seventeen years ago she ventured to the lands of her techie husband—a.k.a. the U.S.—with their offspring to start a new adventure.

She now lives in Colorado working for a small IT company, managing her household filled with three confused dogs, said nerd husband, two daughters wrought with fandoms and a son who thinks h
More about Claudia Y. Burgoa...

Unexpected (5 books)
  • Unlike Any Other (Unexpected, #1)
  • Uncharted (Unexpected #3)
  • Uncut (Unexpected #4)
  • Undefeated (Unexpected #5)

“It doesn’t matter, Ainsy.” MJ bats his eyelashes and grins. “You only need to know that loverboy is crying for his girl. We’ve had to babysit him since Tuesday as he drank an entire distillery—all by himself.” 0 likes