Start by marking “Witch's Sacrifice (Witch's Trilogy Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Witch's Sacrifice (Witch's Trilogy Book 1)

Witch's Sacrifice (Witch's Trilogy #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Her forbidden secret will make her powerful… and hunted.

In Marizza's world, magic is evil. Since her youth, her mother told her witches were wicked creatures who deserved imprisonment. The tyrannical acolytes sacrificed all users of magic to the almighty kraken. It was the life she knew, until one fateful day changed everything.

When young Marizza is attacked by the town

Published April 28th 2015 (first published April 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Witch's Sacrifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch's Sacrifice

Angelina
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was the half of it and I just couldn't read anymore...

There was no point and no plot...

And the istalove. I dislike it so much... The started talking about their emotions and I was like whattt..... Nobody loves someone so much in a day... Come on!!!

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

My thanks to Netgalley for the arc*>
Clare O'Beara
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a well-written tale with many small details of nature or atmosphere, and I enjoyed the read. The only thing stopping me from giving five stars is the incredibly high body count and repeated violence, which felt too much for me. But some readers will not mind and may rate the book more highly.

A man who sees his wife and daughter killed as sacrifices to a kraken, is cursed for fighting to free them. He is turned into a were-hawk, which works at the bidding of the acolytes. Separately in pl
Diana
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really did enjoy this book a lot. The world building is amazing, akmost as amazing as its lore: there are the acolytes, which kind of control people by fear and by the fact that there is a kraken which is held at bay by human sacrifices. Witches sacrifices, to be exact. Magical creatures are hunted down and feed to the monster in exchange for safety. But sometimes "normal" people get to be sacrificed, too when their coloring (hair and eyes) make them a match of sorts.
The characters are truly f
Tiffany Heywood
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an intense fantasy with witches being hunted by non magic users and theres mermen and the kraken which i never read a book that has one featured. I liked our main character, Marizza, who is new witch who gets saved from her village by an old wise withc that goes by the name of Little Mother. I loved the romance that happens between Marizza and the merman Artiro. It was so  believable and real and you could really tell they fell in love and cared for each other and were willing to sa ...more
Ronnie
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chose to give Witch’s Sacrifice a try because of its water-y theme. I don’t think I ever read a book with mermen and a kraken in it, but you gotta start somewhere, right? Well, this was definitely a good place to start…

I loved this fantasy world I got invited to. There is nothing pretty or rosy about it, because witches are hunted and sacrificed to the Kraken, yet there is magic and magical creatures that make it exciting.

Frankly, I was surprised how dark this book was at times. I expected som
Laura  Hernandez
Aug 13, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf
Have to mark this as DNF as for now, I can't go any further with it. I will try again and update if I am able to finish it.
Shakera
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
There once was a time, if you wanted safe travels by sea, you needed to make a sacrifice. There is a Kraken at the bottom of the ocean who feeds off of magical powers and a power hungry priest who lives to instill fear into the villagers. To keep the villagers in fear, not everyone sacrificed is a magical being. While this is the story of a witch coming into her own and finding love, it’s also a story of what happens when the priest, Alistar, has two enemies and he gives them a common enemy, him ...more
Linda
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous world-building and characters that you'll love and remember. I can't wait to see how the next installment continues the story, and how little Okira, a half-mermaid, half-witch, will do battle with the mighty kraken and its acolytes.
Kat Gibbons
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a read. I was engrossed from the first few pages, and despite having to get up early in the morning I read straight through in one sitting.

The novel flows well and the character development is extensive. I found myself immersed in the world that Moss had created. It was written in a way that allows a reader to develop a picture in their mind full of all the details the writer herself has imagined. Just incredible.

The story surrounds Marizza, a pariah of her village because she has shown sig
Barbara Desmond
Got ARC from Net Galley

Unfortunately I just couldn't get into this book. I read about fifty-six of it before I decided to stop. The start was just odd to me because the character you first read about has this thing happen and isn't mentioned again until about twenty percent of the way in. I think this person could have been introduced at a later point.

I make no secret about wanting to read books with witches so I was on board with reading this book after all the word is in the title. If I was ju
Kimi
May 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
First of all, I didn't finish this book. I read about 10% before I decided it wasn't for me.

I kind of feel bad rating it so poorly because I think the main reason I couldn't enjoy it is that I've outgrown this particular type of YA fiction. I just didn't have any interest for the formulaic plot and I can't bring myself to keep going. It is a little (ok, a lot) heavy-handed on the exposition -sometimes using 4-5 consecutive sentences to hammer the same point in from a slightly different angle - a
Alice
// I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

Witch’s Sacrifice is the first book of a series about the persecution and hunt of witches and those who are mistaken for them. It has a gorgeous cover which drew me in, a description and concept that kept me interested enough to read it, but it proved hard for me to finish. This book has lovely worldbuilding. Its magic system was interesting and thoughtfully constructed. I liked the setting and its history. But sad enoug
Kaelan Rhywiol
I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review:

I had trouble with this one, many parts are very good, but some things just didn't work for me.

Things I liked: The sea aspects, those were nice with many details.

Things I didn't like: Instalove, it just doesn't work for me, when it's written this way. I think most of my issues with this one were that I just didn't connect with the author's voice.

It's an okay to good book, and I think if you love the author's voice it would be fanta
Aly
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The cover on this book got my attention right away it reminded me of Ursula in The Little Mermaid. The colors are so bright and vibrant! Marizza finds out she has witch magic. Her mother has always told her witches were wicked creatures. This book is exciting and kept me reading and wanting more. I am excited to see what happens in the next books. The characters are unique and the story is compelling. * I received this book from Netgalley---this is my honest review*
Pat Welte
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone that likes fantasy
I loved this book. Fantasy, lots of suspense, excitement, shape changers different.
Neil
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

This is a good start to a series with some good characters, world building and a nice story.
Scarolet Ellis
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was excellent read. I will be looking forward to the very next book when it comes out to read it.

I received an ARC and am giving an unbias opinion.
Kim
This reviw was first published on my blog kimslr-bookish

this book was made available to me trough NetGalley

I really liked this book and the plot but it felt more like a prequel than an actual main story, so I had to dock one star.

The worldbuilding is nicely done, although there is one trope in this book that I don’t like, not matter the book. I’m talking about there being a distinct end to the known world that I as a reader don’t see as an end and I don’t understand why everyone in this book/
Dave Higgins
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Mixing a fresh take on high-fantasy tropes with a realistic version of young love, Moss creates a tale that will appeal to both lovers of epic struggles against evil, and those seeking a more personal narrative.

Since the goddess abandoned her people, the islands have been plagued by the evils of magic. Only the tyrannical Acolytes, servants of the dread Kraken, prevent witches from enslaving or killing everyone. Or at least that is what Marizza has been taught since birth. But when the unwanted
M.C.
This was a light young adult paranormal story about a girl who gets bullied and, in a moment of intense pressure, discovers that she was powers beyond her wildest dreams. She then has to run for her life. The story was good, if a bit too young for me (it's more on the middle grade spectrum of the young adult), but if you're anything like me and like stories about water creatures, you'll find this interesting.
The story is once again left unfinished, leaving the reader wanting for more.
Lisa
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Blurb

Her forbidden secret will make her powerful… and hunted.
In Marizza’s world, magic is evil. Since her youth, her mother told her witches were wicked creatures who deserved imprisonment. The tyrannical acolytes sacrificed all users of magic to the almighty kraken. It was the life she knew, until one fateful day changed everything.

When young Marizza is attacked by the town bully, she defends herself with magical abilities she didn’t even know she had. After the acolytes come looking for th
Niina
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Witch’s Sacrifice introduces us to Marizza, a young woman rumored to be a witch. And in Sea of Tears, rumors can cause damage to more than your reputation.

Acolytes worshiping the kraken, a mighty sea beast on the hunt for everything and anything magical, are always searching for witches to offer as sacrifices. Marizza never knew of her abilities but whispers and fear spread through her home village, and she can’t ignore it. In her fury she destroys a bakery but before the acolytes find out, she’
Care
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witch's Sacrifice depicts a magical, fantastical new world interwoven with interesting characters, terrible dangers, and a healthy dash of a curse or two.

Moss's novel creates a brilliant and colorful set up for the rest of her trilogy in this novel. Marizza is a young woman who recently discovered her witch powers. Salvia, a centuries-old witch, takes Marizza under her wing to a remote island where she begins her magical training away from the dangers of the acolytes, a cult of individuals who
Ozsaur
In many ways, this book was a refreshing change from the usual faux-Medieval European setting with the typical magic creatures thrown in. The setting is a group of islands scattered across the Sea of Tears. These islands are all under the control of a priesthood that uses (and is used by) a Kraken that requires sacrifice. The Kraken hungers for magic, therefore witches are its favorite sacrifice.

The main character is Marizza who is in danger of being the next meal of the Kraken. She is rescued b
Montzalee Wittmann
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Witch's Sacrifice (Witch's Trilogy #1) by Crissy Moss is an awesome fantasy tale of a witch and a merman and the child they produce. It also is about love and evil. It is suspense filled and has lots of unique creatures. The suspense and action is non-stop. Tension is high in this book, I felt I needed a massage after reading it! I was glued to my tablet and worried... I felt I was there, what a great writer! I can not wait for the next book!!! I don't want to give anything away by saying to muc ...more
Kai
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
Obtained through NetGalley for an honest review.

This was a fabulous read. I spent a lot of it on the edge of my seat. The characters are full and absorbing and the story itself is enthralling and involving. I loved the fact that the author has taken what we see happening time and again in our society and made a fantasy plot around it. Chasing and capturing witches, sacrificing them to a creature that needs magic to survive and thrive. Men against women. Age old beliefs against common sense. The
Cathy Pelham
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WITCH'S SACRIFICE is an impressive debut novel by Crissy Moss, author of short stories such as SMALL BITES and FOOTPRINTS. New to fantasy, I had a little trouble settling into the rhythm of the language. I was quickly pulled in by the author's gift for storytelling. Moss drops the reader into the thick of it from the first pages. She delivers Peyllan, a fully developed world as brutal as its villains. Her magic is robust and believable, deriving power from nature. The central characters face tra ...more
Bobbi
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Little Mother works hard to save those that are being labeled as witches whether they are or not. Saving Marizza and bringing her to her little island to train her becomes more difficult when events are set in motion. Brother Hawk just wants his revenge and just might have the chance with Little Mother. Marizza and her love Artiro find peace in what they have to do to save their precious little Okira. Crissy Moss really pulled me in and kept me at the edge of my seat with this one. I can't wait ...more
Pamela
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**Received in exchange for an honest review**

I really enjoyed this book and I will certainly read the rest of the trilogy. From the moment I started reading, I was drawn right into this fantasy world. The characters and the world were beautifully built and written to be remembered. The one thing I had an issue with was the passing of time. Time between chapters skipped a lot. I finished one chapter and then the next was months later and it was a little confusing. Overall this book was great and
Beautifulday4makeup The-book-and-Me
I received the ebook in exchange for an honest review on Netgalley.

Thos story tells about a world where witches are hunted to be sacrificed. Doesn't seem so long ago, does it. Witches don't stand down. They hide in clear view and tryto prohibit young witches to be sacrifised. This is what little mother does with marizza and how the magic becomes her own. I found the story interesting and lovely to read.
Indie Authors Mon...: Looking for review for dark fantasy 2 22 Jul 21, 2015 06:44PM
  • Unicorn Western: Full Saga
  • Guenhwyvar (A Tale from The Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Avarice (Pyrrh Considerable Crimes Division, #1)
  • Black Blood (Black Bloods, #1)
  • Mourning Star, #1
  • On the Other Side of Aether (Guardian of the Arcanos, #1)
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
  • End Time
  • Summer Love
  • Fallen (Fallen, #1)
  • Savage
  • Once Upon a Rock Star: Backstage Passes in the Heavy Metal Eighties — Big Hair, Bad Boys, (and One Bad Girl)
  • Elixir
  • You Are Dying, and Your World Is a Lie
  • The One That I Want (Mirabelle Harbor, #2)
  • The 16 Rule
  • The Girl Who Heard Dragons (Pern Publication Order #8.5)
  • The River Road
Crissy Moss lives in the cloudy state of Washington near Seattle with her lovely family, and a cat. Manager of a little store by day, writer by night, she has published 20+ short stories, and several books, including "The Witch's Trilogy."

She has also been the host on three podcasts including The Bradbury Challenge, The Story Telling Podcast, and Self Publishing Round Table, and is an avid gamer
More about Crissy Moss

Witch's Trilogy (3 books)
  • Witch's Curse (Witch's Trilogy, #2)
  • Witch's Stand

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)