Start by marking “The Other Child” as Want to Read:
The Other Child

The Other Child

Sometimes a lie seems kinder than the truth ... but what happens when that lie destroys everything you love?.

When Tess is sent to photograph Greg, a high profile paediatric heart surgeon, she sees something troubled in his face, and feels instantly drawn to him. Their relationship quickly deepens, but then Tess, single mother to nine-year-old Joe, falls pregnant, and Greg
Published June 4th 2015 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about The Other Child, please sign up.

Start your review of The Other Child
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I absolutely loved this book. It grabbed my attention from the first page and did no let me go until the very end. I was yet again lost in a book and have only had a few of those types of reads this year sadly It was a great escape read for me.

Monica Shoshanna
Jun 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

The Other Child starts off well as a gripping and suspenseful thriller, but as it goes on the reader becomes smarter than the protagonist. The Other Child is about a pregnant woman called Tess who falls in love with paediatric heart surgeon Greg and when he is offered a job in a top hospital in Boston, she moves out there with her young son, Joe, to join him. However Tess and Joe struggle to fit in with the American life and living in suburbia. Greg is always working and T
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
Reminiscent of nineties classic film "Sleeping With The Enemy" this is an enjoyable psychological thriller with an emotional edge. Pregnant Tess has moved her life, and her young son Joe, across the Atlantic to be with her new husband. But life in the east coast of the US isn't all it seems; her seemingly perfect paediatric surgeon extraordinaire husband Greg has a secret...

I found this book very readable; some thrillers are difficult to grasp but this wasn't. I thought Tess was a very realistic
Liz Barnsley
I was a huge fan of “The Missing One”, one of my favourite books of it’s year so I was extremely happy to find a copy of “The Other Child” popping through my letterbox – and boy it was a corker.

So we are following along with Tess, who after a whirlwind romance finds herself fairly isolated in a strange new environment – her young son is reacting badly to the move, pregnant and struggling to cope, Tess starts to feel like there is something going on with her new husband Greg that is not quite rig
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
'I saw your picture. Years have passed, but I'd recognize your face anywhere. I STILL SEE YOU IN MY NIGHTMARES.'

Lucy Atkins weaves an elaborate tale of love, lies, death and deceit. Her language, always gentle, and enticingly descriptive, somehow makes what is happening even more poignant, more chilling.

Her characters are people you probably know - your family, your neighbours, your lover. You will recognise them as you read.

Tess is divorced from her husband David, father of her nine year old Jo
Lee
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this riveting psychological thriller. Story was fast paced and suspenseful throughout. Ending was a major twist I did not see coming, extra star for this as it left you feeling not quite how you thought you would.
Heidi
After reading three books by this author this year which I totally adored, I found this one a bit predictable, but it still kept me listening to the audio version. I liked the way the author presents Tess' growing sense of suspicion and isolation, even though I felt that the story lost a lot of momentum towards the end.
Karen
Jul 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors-to-avoid
It's been a few weeks since I read this book, and I still have nothing but loathing for it. To begin with, it was filled with unlikely coincidences:
1) Tess and her new hubby move into a new home, where their neighbors just happen to include a woman who's obsessed with Tess's hubby.
2) Tess is stalked by someone who turns out to be the long-ago ex-girlfriend of her hubby. This woman starts stalking them because she just happens to see an article about Tess's hubby, and, in spite of longstanding ps
Bookread2day
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Tess a photographer is a single mother to her nine-year-old son Joe, and expecting a baby with her loving husband Greg, who is a high-profile pediatric heart surgeon.

While Greg is at work Tess hears unsettling noises in their large house and the scenes get rather scary as she feels that someone is watching her.

With the new baby on the way Tess can never get hold of her husband at work and her relationship with her husband becomes rather strained.

Crisis deepen further when Tess son Joe doesn't
Sue
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I really loved this book, I mean REALLY loved it.

I like Lucy Atkins as an author. I love the way she writes, the way she puts over things and her way of narration is superb. Its not distorted, it flows as you read. I can't explain it, but I will try:

He put his cup over there.

Instead of that written as an action it is interwoven with the dialogue and that is what makes it flow. Its the only way I can describe what I mean. Its just a personal pet hate of mine which really adds to the enjoyment o
Dawn
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I follow Lucy on twitter and when she asked if I would be interested in hosting her for part of the blog tour for The Other Child I jumped at the chance. I love reading contemporary novels and thrillers, especially psychological ones and The Other Child sounded right up my street. I was just about to go off on holiday so I headed to Amazon to download an ecopy of the book as I couldn't wait for the review copy to arrive in the post.

There was no softly, softly introduction to this novel. Lucy dra
Babus Ahmed
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This compulsive psychological thriller tells us about Tess a freelance British photographer, single mother of one son, Joe, who marries an eminent paediatric cardiac surgeon, Greg and relocates to Boston. As well as uprooting her life and career, Tess is pregnant but Greg never wanted children and Tess is not certain his feelings to her pregnancy have changed but she remains optimistic that he will fall in love with their baby once he or she arrives.

However, the move to America is hard work as
Sophie Bristow Harris
This was a magnificent psychological thriller by Lucy Atkins. The book was very atmospheric and had beautiful, yet eerie writing.
I really warmed to the main character, who was heavily pregnant whilst trying to solve the mysterious occurrences in her new life in America, big changes for her relocating from the United Kingdom.
A very enjoyable read which I would highly recommend to my friends and family.
Many Thanks to the author and her publisher for making this available to me on Net Galley in exc
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on [Between My Lines]

Twitteresque reviews are for books where I don’t feel like writing a full review but I want to give you a flavour of how I felt during the book.  All in 140 characters or less!

An isolated woman + threatening atmosphere + uncomfortable events + dark secrets  = A scarily riveting and edgy read.

Emma
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greg and Tess are perfect for each other. Two halves of the same coin. Which is why, when Greg gets offered the job of a lifetime in Boston, Tess agrees to marry him and move, along with her nine year old son Joey and soon to be born baby, from her home in England. This despite their romance having been something of a whirlwind and her misgivings about how Greg feels about the pregnancy (he never wanted children).

Once they arrive, things don’t go as Tess hoped. Greg is from the States and fits b
Leanna (daisychainbooks)
What’s with this fictional trend which finds seemingly smart and successful women married to men they barely know, all of whom are inevitably harbouring deep dark secrets behind invariably perfectly polished and dashingly handsome appearances? It’s a trend that lends itself to a sometimes good story, yes, but it’s also pretty much guaranteed to leave me rolling my eyes and wishing and hoping that the women in question will hopefully wise up and grow a brain before they end up in dire straits ind ...more
Neats
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Other Child is the second book I've read by Lucy Atkins and after reading the blurb I was really looking forward to reading it.

Tess has met leading paediatric heart surgeon Greg through her photography work and after a whirlwind romance Greg is offered his dream job back in his home country and Tess falls pregnant. Not wanting to leave her behind Greg proposes and Tess and her nine year old son, Joe, move to the suburbs of Boston.

Right from the outset unsettling things start to happen, noise
Deborah
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite books of 2014 was the debut novel by journalist and author Lucy Atkins. The Missing One was about a woman's search to understand more about her distant mother after her passing.

Her second novel features some similar elements, again focussing on someone uncovering the past of one they love... which will ultimately change the way they view the person they thought they knew.

Soon after her arrival in the US Tess discovers someone is sending threatening notes to Greg and she sets
Jenn
Not quite the ending I was expecting. For some reason, my brain thought it would be gorier, or more violent. There were a lot of red herrings in this one, and I fell for every single one of them. Which I guess is a sign of a good thriller. Yet something didn’t site quite right about this tale. It was lacking something I can’t quite put my finger on.
Lady Delacour
Listened with TTS.
Cleanish.
Foul Language.
comfort
I loved this story and admire Tess's fortitude. She follows her new husband to another country with her young son, only to be left alone for days on end. Greg, the husband has just taken up a new post in Boston (away from her beloved England). Her son is having difficulty fitting in at school and is being bullied. She is pregnant with Greg's child and you wonder how she keeps on top of everything. All is not quite right with her home and her marriage.

Eventually she decides to repack Greg's boxes
Rebecca
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on http://beccasbooooks.blogspot.co.uk/2... for part of the blog tour.

From beginning to end, Lucy Atkins had me hanging on the very precipice of her every word. The Other Child had an incredibly heavy, dark atmosphere that followed me throughout my progression of this novel like a suffocating fog, truly emphasising the oppressive onslaught of emotions felt by the protagonist, Tess. Despite not actually being able to pinpoint what it was that seemed so dark and dangerous, Lucy t
Louise
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So completely sad!
Only 1 likable character in the book and his is the most tragic story of all :(
Readable but utterly depressing.
Book Addict Shaun
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I was very excited to read The Other Child when I saw it on NetGalley because both the title and the blurb left me incredibly intrigued. Tess is moving from England to Boston due to partner Greg's new job. Despite not being written in the first person, we immediately get a sense of how overwhelmed Tess is by the move. The affluent neighbourhood and big house she is moving into leave her with a feeling of dread and isolation more than excitement. Strange happenings on the first night, and Greg be ...more
Amanda - Go Book Yourself
Review also posted on my blog : Go Book Yourself

Thanks to Quercus for the review copy

This was my first Lucy Atkins book and I'm hooked already! From page one I was drawn in and I didn't want to put it down.

A heavily pregnant Tess has just relocated to the US with her husband Greg. Him being a top class surgeon means there are more opportunities for him there.

However from the outset things just don't go smoothly for them. The neighbours are different from her friends back home. They're cold and d
Joanne Robertson
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is an incredible beautifully written book about trust and family that I read in just 2 sittings. I was desperate to get to the end to solve the mystery of Greg's past and I wasn't disappointed.
Tess has moved to America with her new husband Greg and her 9 year old son. She is newly married and also unexpectedly pregnant. She should be relaxed and happy but something is not quite right. There are strange goings on in the neighbourhood and Greg seems distant. Joe is struggling to fit in with h
Christina McDonald
I love, love, loved this book! Lucy Atkins is one of my favorite authors, and this book was as good as the others. It grabbed my attention from the first page and I couldn't put it down until I'd finished. Totally got lost in it.

Single mother Tess falls in love with surgeon Greg and quickly falls pregnant. Before she knows it, they're married and relocating to the suburbs of Boston in American. But unsettling things keep happening, Tess's son Joe is not settling in well, Greg is rarely home beca
Cora Tea Party Princess
DNF on page 68.

It's nothing against this book, it's actually really interesting and dark and more than a little bit creepy, but it's not what I need right now.

So, no rating. Because I WILL be coming back to this.

I received a copy of this for free via Goodreads First Reads.
Barbara Beswick
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are some books of which I can predict the ending at 25% in. There are others, thankfully few and far between, that I care not a jot how they end as long as they end! And then there are books like this one. This is my second book by Lucy Atkins and like the first, The Missing One, it's superb! It is perfectly paced, the storyline is believable and so intense, it had me listening for voices in my basement, and I don't have a basement! This book is beyond stars. I had absolutely no idea how i ...more
Jill Lawson
Oct 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't bother to read this ridiculous book, and if you are pregnant don't go near it. It begins with the protagonist making an unbelievably bad decision, which then takes her from one disaster to another, all while she obsesses about every tiny detail and sensation of her unplanned pregnancy.

• Finders, Keepers
  • The Secrets of Strangers
  • Snow (St. John Strafford, #1)
  • The Other Passenger
  • The Catch
  • Strange Flowers
  • Strangers
  • The Flight: Two passengers. Two tickets. One chance to escape.
  • Still Life (Inspector Karen Pirie #6)
  • Invisible Girl
  • Remain Silent
  • Just Like the Other Girls
  • Little Whispers
  • I Made a Mistake
  • Shed No Tears (Cat Kinsella #3)
  • Gatið (Children's House, #4)
  • See You In September
  • Home Stretch
Lucy Atkins is an award-winning author, Sunday Times book critic and journalist. Her new novel, MAGPIE LANE, is a literary thriller set in an Oxford College. Her other novels are The Night Visitor, The Other Child and The Missing One.

Lucy reviews books for The Sunday Times and has written for newspapers such as The Guardian, The Times, The Telegraph, the T.L.S, and many magazines. She has also wri

News & Interviews