Start by marking “Last Day in Vietnam” as Want to Read:
Last Day in Vietnam

Last Day in Vietnam

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  538 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
A memoir of stories about soldiers who are engaged not only in the daily hostilities of war but also in larger, more personal combat. It features stories that are comical, heart-rending, frightening, and yet display the incredible insight into humanity characteristic of the author's entire oeuvre.
Published July 25th 2000 by Dark Horse Comics (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Last Day in Vietnam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Day in Vietnam

Sam Quixote
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
World War 2 was Will Eisner’s war though his association with the military would last for decades. He turned instructional manuals into comics to make them easier to read for army personnel, and his work took him to new theatres of war like Korea and Vietnam in the 1950s and 60s. In one of his last books, Last Day in Vietnam, he revisited these warzones to tell some brilliant short stories of the people he met.

The title story is the longest, a point of view tale where the reader is escorted by
Café de Tinta
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creo que no hay cómic de Eisner que no me guste...
Gayle Francis Moffet
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 2013, april-2013
A set of short stories about war from Eisner, showing us--as he routinely did in his work--the future of comics through true, honest stories about real people. In the intro, Eisner writes about his military experience, both as a soldier in WWII and during his many years as a journalist creating a magazine to teach soldiers good maintenance habits for their gear. All the stories he tells are true, delivered in mostly loose panel layouts that bring a sort of dreamlike quality to the stories that l ...more
Patrick
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hey, it is Will Eisner book, how could one go wrong?!?!
Jon Hewelt
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've loved the work of Will Eisner for a long time, starting with Fagin the Jew and reading, over and over, his Contract with God Trilogy. Last Day in Vietnam is one of his later works, published (to my understanding) 5 years before his passing. In it, Eisner explores not only the Vietnam War, but war in general, and--as always with his work--the struggles of an individual working their way through this world in whatever way they can.

There is a marked "otherness" to the stories in Last Day in Vi
Kevin
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Will Eisner's Last Day in Vietnam is a graphic novel capturing individual events from the author's tours as a war journalist through several war zones across a couple decades. All are first-person accounts with artwork being drawn from the author's point of view and characters in the panels addressing the author as though it were you.

I'm going to admit off the bat that I wasn't expecting much of this graphic novel. But I picked it up at the library solely because I know of Eisner and his reputat
Karyl
I picked this up randomly off the graphic novels shelf in the library (which, shamefully, is located in the children's area) because I was drawn to the title. I knew absolutely nothing about it before I checked it out.

This is a wonderfully drawn set of stories from both the Vietnam and the Korean wars. It shows the inconsistencies and the contradictions of war, and the absolute heartbreak. It also shows a bit of humor and levity that keeps the narrative from being too disheartening.

The art is ab
Richard Barnes
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's by Will Eisner, so of course the art is superb and the storytelling sublime. What exactly makes Last Day in Vietnam's art and stories so good?

Art - Eisner's cartoony style in no way detracts from the realities of war. The character expressions and movements may be exaggerated but the attention to detail in the backgrounds and costumes etc ground the stories in gritty realism. If anything, it's the cartoon-like style that brings the real humanity of the characters out.

These are a series of v
Nick
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
These are short wartime vignettes, mostly ones told to Eisner while working for Army publications. Contrary to the title's suggestion, some of these stories predate Vietnam, but the title story and some of the others take place there. The one that Eisner himself witnessed, from World War II, is moving, but the tiny story from Korea was even more so in some ways, because we never learn what made the central character who and what he was.
The title story showcases the high and low ends of human nat
Mike Jensen
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am becoming convinced that graphic novels by nature can not have the impact of a book or film. I'm waiting for an exception. This is not it. It is a wonderful and moving account of people about to be shipped out of Viet Nam. As fine at it is as a graphic novel, it simply lacks the emotional depth of gravity of other stories on similar themes. It is teriffic, but maybe it can not be a great book.
Deodand
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wonder if this doesn't get more love because it's not sexy and full of colour. Instead, the comic has a free-form quality, like memories. The first comic is drawn on heavily textured paper that gives the cells a blurry quality, which is a stroke of genius for a comic recalling a distant event. It has the feeling of reality without photo-realism.
David
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will Eisner. Legend.

This short collection involves some memories from the wars in Korea and Vietnam.

He was a great artist. And his use of the medium is demonstrated here to great effect.

But this is a short collection of short memories. I wish he shared more of them in this collection.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Visceral look at the transition many Vietnam vets had to deal with. One of my friends who was in Vietnam said this GN "hit me in the gut".
Karkeologi
Astonishing. Shows incredible skills in storytelling.
Carly
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
October, 2006

This small series of war-memory vignettes displays much of what Eisner has to offer, just to a lesser extent than in his larger books. His flair for realistic human drama, distinctive dialogue, and honestly balanced characters shines brighter in his major behemoths, like A Contract with God, or The Heart of the Storm, probably because those books have more time to develop them. But each of Last Day in Vietnam’s short war stories is satisfying, and gently touching in that distinctive
Emelie
I'm not usually a graphic novel reader but this caught my interest. I'm well, fascinated by the Vietnam war and the military life in general and the blurb tolled of emotional tales. And I like emotional tales as well.

I wasn't disappointed. I like the short glimpses into the military life and the various emotional states and happenings. I liked how most of the tales were directed as I was present in the scene. The languages the characters used felt realistic, as well did their behaviour and emot
David Schaafsma
6 Very short stories out of one of the godfathers of comics, Will Eisner's, personal experiences with war--Vietnam, Korea… and evocative, and personal, and you become a character in the stories… so it's a sketchbook account, very spare, I wish it were more, but it's good; a good storyteller tells it. Human interest experiences. But not much here.
Carlos Úbeda
Historias cortas sobre la guerra realizadas por Will Eisner. Muy breve, con poco desarrollo, pero muy bueno, como siempre en Eisner: dibujo expresivo, historias que merecen la pena y narración clara.
Thomas
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short strips inspired by Eisner's time in Vietnam and Korea. The most striking feature of this work, especially in the title piece, is the second person perspective. Eisner draws his comics as if you were a character, in this case a journalist visiting Vietnam, in the story. You ask invisible questions which your guide answers and see things through the journalist eyes. It gives you a eerily voyeuristic feel and Eisner's incredibly expressive facial features amplify that to give you an uncomfort ...more
Jim
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Basically a group of short stories in graphic novel form, each touching primarily on rear echelon support personnel, fobbits, as he delves into the personalities of several military "types," through an unusual first person delivery (you see the individual through the narrator's eyes) as he goes out to see the war or as he encounters different soldiers. His style is recognizable, spare, but expressive. I liked best the soldier who pays a high price for taking up with a local woman, but who cannot ...more
Peter Derk
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Solid, good stuff. But it's Will Eisner. What did you expect?

The Purple Heart story is probably the strongest. I liked that one quite a bit. Lots of heart mooshed into one little tale.

Also, I think one of Eisner's underrated strengths was his ability to have cartoon-y stuff and realistic characters next to each other without it looking weird. He could have one dude with exaggerated features, almost Goofy if he turned into a real person, and then he can be next to a non-descript, normal guy, and
Annamarie
Honestly I was disappointed while reading this book. Most of the time I found myself not even reading the text and just moving my eyes around the page. The drawings were very well done, great detail, and actually reminded me of a sketchbook diary. What I really liked most about the book were the photographs that were in-between each story. I feel like I should have something profound to say, but I don't.
My review should be viewed as my own experience, and you as a reader should pick it up and f
Manish
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Eisner employs a wholly different approach to narrate some of his encounters with memorable characters during his visit to the front lines of America's engagement in Vietnam and Korea. Though these are simple tales, by using large panels and giant sized images, Eisner manages to make the experience wholly unique.

I now feel bad for not having the skills to draw anything that even remotely resembles a recognizable object.
Jay
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2014
Last Day in Vietnam is unfortunately just too short. Will Eisner was writing for a more limited space, but if you are going to put them into a graphic novel, I think it should be a bit more substantial, with more stories and photos. The AP photos were a great addition to the collection. A Purple Heart for George was the best story in the collection. But overall, just too slim of a collection to really even be called that.
Batmark
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction

Last Day in Vietnam contains six true stories written and illustrated by Eisner during his time with the military (first as a soldier in World War II, and later as a correspondent for P.S. Magazine). Although ostensibly "war" stories, there are no depictions of battle in this book. Instead, Eisner focuses on camp life and how the soldiers lived out of combat.
Aaj
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: War story lovers
A simple book!

The backdrop is, as you might have already guessed, the Vietnam war..

This is a collection of few 2-3 page wartime memories. Each story tries to explore a new human emotion and adds a different flavour to the book. If you like simple carricature (Is the speiilng correct?) kind of art... you'll like this book.

Will Eisner makes you think, introspect and smile at the same time; a writer can do that rarely!!
Emilia P
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Will Eisner is Will Eisner. He find Eisnerian characters and situations in Korea and Vietnam, quite easily. Perhaps they are pastiches or fabrications? Perhaps. I liked this for what it was, which was a reporter's notebook sort of thing, but I would have loved a bigger over-arching story with a big morally ambivalent punch to the gut a lot more. Grouch grouch. :)

Glenn
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This was the first Eisner I've read, which is surprising, given his universal recognition and my love of the medium. It's good, but I though it would be better. Most of the stories were not long enough to become completely immersed. There is, to be sure, something masterful about how much the drawings convey without words, especially the characters.
Jan
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eisner creates a connected web of stories from the front lines of Vietnam and Korea. But it is more than a battlefield memoir. It also tells the personal stories of each featured soldier. Some stories are tragic, some comic and some are both. This book is not to be missed.
  • It Was the War of the Trenches
  • S.
  • American Splendor Unsung Hero: The Story of Robert McNeill
  • Three Fingers
  • Sleeper Season Two
  • Red Rocket 7
  • Corto, toujours un peu plus loin (Corto Maltese # 4)
  • Thoreau at Walden
  • Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 1
  • R. Crumb Draws the Blues
  • A Jew in Communist Prague: Loss of Innocence v. 1
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1950-1954
Will Eisner was born on March 6, 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. By the time of his death on January 3, 2005, Will Eisner was recognized internationally as one of the giants in the field of sequential art, a term he coined.

In a career that spanned nearly eight decades -- from the dawn of the comic book to the advent of digital comics - Will Eisner was truly the 'Father of the Graphic Novel' and the 'O
More about Will Eisner...