Start by marking “Färjan” as Want to Read:
Färjan

Färjan

I kväll ska 1 200 förväntansfulla passagerare åka på en kryssning mellan Sverige och Finland. Men det finns något ondskefullt ombord på den här resan. Mitt i natten är färjan plötsligt avskärmad från omvärlden. Det finns ingenstans att fly. Det finns inget sätt att kontakta land. Och du vet inte vem du kan lita på.

Mats Strandberg följer upp succén med Engelsfors-trilogin m
Published September 16th 2015 by Norstedts

To ask other readers questions about Färjan, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Johanna Som jag förstod det av vad Adam säger, förmågan att acceptera sitt öde.

Susan
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having made sure that this was NOT a zombie novel (thank you to the kind reader on Goodreads, who reassured me on that point), I embarked on this horror novel with interest. It is only 548 pages – long, but not massively so. However, the paperback version of this was a real doorstopper and it took me a while to read, as I could not face lugging it about with me on my daily commute. That said, I was always keen to pick it up and found it a really interesting read.

The premise is that a group of pe
Lou
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Blood Cruise" or Färjan in Swedish is a horror novel written by Mats Strandberg who is touted as being "Sweden's Stephen King." I'm surprised this is my first time hearing of him but that may be down to the fact that I only got into the horror genre recently. Before that, I had wrongly assumed that my dislike for horror movies also tranferred over to books. That is not the case, I now thoroughly enjoy a little horror sprinkled between my favourite genres.

A booze cruise departs from Finland and
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
3.5 stars...

I've been going back and forth on whether or not to rate this 3 stars or 4 stars because the first half of this book is pure character development and its pretty slow. It seemed to drag on and on, so much so, that I put it aside for a while unsure if I would even continue it. Then one day I decided what the hell let's give it another go. I'm glad I did because the second half of this 500+ page monstrosity was non-stop action and gore. They were supposedly on a 24 hour cruise but damn
Rebecka
I keep getting impressed by Swedish horror. This is a quite long and very well-written story about a ferry of drunk Swedes (a horror story in itself) that also happens to contain something else. I love the concept, and the execution is great. A BIG + is how the ending doesn't disappoint, because they often do.
Richard Howard
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This is how Stephen King used to write: when his books were still scary. The author is certainly not afraid of killing off major characters! His observations of drunken passengers on the Baltic booze cruise are very accurate: in fact it's difficult to decide whether their behaviour is worse before or after their 'change'. There is plenty of gore but it is never gratuitous and the characters are well drawn. Kudos to the translator too!
Jukka Särkijärvi
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The Stockholm cruise is something of a cultural institution in Finland. The ferries − perhaps more aptly described as "floating shopping malls" − take passengers between Helsinki or Turku and Stockholm, with a brief stop at Mariehamn to get the alcohol sales exempt from the famously high Nordic alcohol taxation. The cruises themselves are dirt cheap, and discount vouchers and special offers are the norm rather than the exception. I've had a cabin to myself for 15 euros.

It is a very comfortable w
Tanja Berg
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
It's a bit of an exaggeration considering this "horror". It's a fun ride, but it's not exactly terrifying - at least not for me, not at any point. However, this is an absolutely delicious "gossip" novel that shows human nature from its worst side. The book follows the fates of a handful of people going on an alcohol binge on a mini cruise between Sweden and Finland. The horrors of so many lost hopes collecting in one place is indeed terrible. The characterisations are brilliant, I loved every so ...more
K.
Trigger warnings: blood. Seriously. So much blood. Death, violence, gore, eyeball trauma, stabbings, death of basically any type of familial relationship, friendship, or romantic relationship you can think of.

So for some reason based on the cover of this book, I thought it was going to be a haunted cruise ship type of a deal. So colour me surprised when this was a vampire book. A VAMPIRE BOOK! Not even remotely what I was expecting, but a fast paced and compelling story that I nonetheless enjoy
Emily
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"He muses that the only real thing on board is the gluttony: the greed, the insatiability."

I'm not going to say much about Blood Cruise so that I don't give anything away. This book has such a fun concept, and the idea of being trapped on a cruise ship feallg freaks me out.

I liked that the book had short chapter, and once it got going, it was pretty easy to figure out who was who. This book is kind of like a very gory character study.

My only complaint is that it went on for way too long. This
Paul
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been quite a while since I’ve read any proper stomach-churning horror, so when I heard about Blood Cruise by Mats Strandberg I was immediately sold. Chaos, death and destruction on a booze cruise. What could be better?

The premise of the novel is deliciously simple. Hundreds of people are trapped on a slightly dated, rundown cruise liner with a creature who views humanity, and more specifically warm human blood, as a tasty treat.

I firmly believe the best horror exists in a vacuum; isolatio
Missy (myweereads)
“On the Baltic sea, no one can hear you scream…”

Blood Cruise by Mats Strandberg is the telling of one of many trips the old liner “The Charisma” takes between Sweden and Finland. Known as a booze cruise, an array of passengers aboard the ship for a little escape. Things soon become a lot stranger at night, being cut off from the mainland, it becomes a matter of survival.

The minute I read the quote that this book is a must read for fans of John Ajvide Lindqvist and Stephen King I was very interes
Maja Ingrid
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Audiobooked this one on the commute to and from my internship, which might either be why I was able to finish it, or why I rated it low. The narrator was a snooze pill and I dozed off several times. Having it on highest speed helped a little.

Reading (listening) about people going on a cruise on a rundown ferry is as trashy as you might guess. Most of the cruising parts of the plot was cringey and trashy (just as actual cruises on these less luxury ferries are, which is why I don't go on them).
Linda
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Every day many people take the ferry between Sweden and Finland. They eat, drink, dance and shop during one day and night. The ferries are like floating dance clubs and shopping malls. People often get very drunk and leave all manners behind, according to many passengers. In the book, one day, people on the ferry have company by something dangerous, hiding and lurking, waiting for the right moment to reveal itself.

There are many characters. The family trying to seem normal, regardless of their r
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Took a while to finish because I wanted to savour it. Great ending!
Martina
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
So. Very. Angry. And disappointed. And sad.
Angela Smith
Having only read the summary for this book when I chose it, I didn't realise it was a horror story, especially with vampires. I had purposely not read vampire stories for a while now, believing I had lost interest in them, but this book proved me wrong. This was tense and visceral and portrayed vampires as dangerous, bloodthirsty and not romantic objects. The book is quite a hefty slab to carry about at over 500 pages, but it didn't take me any longer to read than a much shorter book would becau ...more
Ellen
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Horror was my first love and after going through a drought of truly terrifying reads I was ready to get my teeth stuck into Blood Cruise. I was not disappointed! A booze cruise goes wrong, people are dying and something is hungry and hellbent on destruction and world domination.

I got really attached to certain characters including Pia, Calle and Vincent and was truly invested in them surviving. Others, like Dan Appelgren I couldn't wait to get their just desserts.

A fantastic story which would t
Gayle Noble
Out in the middle of the ocean, no-one can hear you scream. Passengers are trapped onboard a cruise ship, miles from land, when a mysterious illness starts spreading through the ship. Is it a terrorist attack or something far more unexpected?

The book takes the reader on a horror trip seen through the eyes of several passengers and crew members. I wasn't sure about it when I started reading it, the whole tone seemed a little bleak, but this actually added to the feeling of the ship as an old line
Andy
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed that. A good setting and plenty of people on board to get munched, it would make a great movie. My cat however did not like the book at all and vomited all over it, resulting in me having to pay a replacement fee for it to my local library. She prefers political thrillers I guess.
Jillthebooknerd
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the beginning it was kind of slow and didn't have that excitement I wished for. It took me more than 200 pages to get a flow.
My opinion is to give it a chance but to be aware that it contains a lot of blood. Like so freaking much blood it's insane.
Tony
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you believe the hype tagged onto Amazon’s by-line for “Blood Cruise” it is “a thrilling summer chiller from the new Stephen King” which already has a large number of positive reviews from media outlets across Scandinavia. I suggest you tread carefully, this 560-page door-stopper really is not worth the hype and is really heavy going. However, it’s worth noting that Swedish author Mats Strandberg, also co-wrote the bestselling YA supernatural fantasy trilogy “Engelsfor” which although it’s rel ...more
Stina Westberg
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Creepy af, entertaining, a good read!
Pixelina
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I guess it is ok, but just not for me and I have to admit to skipping in the audiofile quite a lot cause I just wanted to be over and done with it. Strandberg is simply one of those authors I can't read.
Emelie 🦉
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Since it was from like 10 different perspectives the story could get repetitive sometimes!

And im not the biggest fan of the "villains" in this book (or in Any book), but over all it was an ikay book!
Lia Ung
Sep 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia-plus, horror, 2015
*3.5

This is why we can't have nice things.
Gordon Mcghie
The Baltic Charisma has been cruising the Scandinavian coastline for many a year. The crew work long hours and have a strong team spirit (evidenced by the return of a former colleague who has brought his boyfriend onboard to propose).

Also on board are party goers who plan to hit the bar (hard). A former Eurovision contestant who now finds himself hosting the onboard karaoke nights. A single woman trying to treat herself to a new adventure. A party-going couple of ladies who will drink and hope t
Lucy
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this out of the library when I saw the summary, the cover and it got recced by someone here on Goodreads that I follow. It sounded interesting enough so I picked it up and then finished it in one sitting.

In this book, several characters were getting on the cruise between Sweden and Finland, what is more known as the 'booze cruise'. In between the many characters, there is a woman and her son who are just a little bit not right. As the story unfolds, people start dying and we see them try
Marica (The Book Chick)
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can read more of my reviews at my blog The Book Chick.

Blood Cruise (god I hate that title) or Färjan (ferry) in Swedish is a horror story in Stephen King standard, taking place on a big boat that travels between Sweden and Finland. I did know that this was a horror before starting and I have read one book by Strandberg before this, but that was not a horror and I did not know what to expect this time. Well I did certainly not expect it to be as nasty, horrific, bloody and foul as it is. Wow
Kaia Landelius
Holy fuck, this book.

It's about a Finland ferry, a cruise ship going from Sweden to Finland and back again. These cruises are known for being kind of tacky, all about boozing it up (last time my mum went on one middle aged men were so drunk that they had to be wheeled through the ship to their bunks in wheelchairs) and so on.

So this is one of those, except that there's 'something' onboard. This something happens to be what is said to be vampires, but in reality they're more like a cross between
Martin Belcher
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
The Baltic Charisma, a dated cruise ship which sails backwards and forwards across the Baltic Sea from Sweden to Finland and back. Mostly used these days as a booze cruise, a way for young Swedes to buy cheaper alcohol and enjoy a night of hedonism before sailing back to reality.

Meet a cast of different people, young and old, divorced, married, straight, gay and everything in between, all aboard sailing for different reasons but all think they are secure in the knowledge that their trip will cau
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sweden: Frågor till er som läst Färjan av Mats Strandberg 4 91 May 20, 2016 06:06AM

• Tummempaa tuolla puolen
  • Gasten (Pax, #5)
  • Vattnet drar
  • Udda Verklighet (De sära, #1)
  • Samlade svenska kulter
  • Moderspassion
  • Sjukdomen (Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar, #2)
  • Norra Latin (Stockholmsserien #1)
  • Pappersväggar
  • Stallo
  • Alena
  • Ordbrodösen
  • Tio över ett
  • Asyl
  • Flickan och skulden: En bok om samhällets syn på våldtäkt
  • God jul: En berättelse
  • Legenden om Sally Jones
Mats Strandberg is an award-winning novelist and journalist. He is a regular columnist for Sweden's biggest evening newspaper, has been named Columnist of the Year by Sweden's Newspapers and Magazines organization, and had published three previous novels, with rights sold in numerous countries.