Start by marking “Clara (Stories of Lorst #1)” as Want to Read:
Clara (Stories of Lorst #1)

Clara

(Stories of Lorst #1)

This is An ACE For edition with ASIN: B00F8VESKE

Clara will have to see through both the fog of war, and the fog of her own heart, to save a nation...

Sold into slavery as a child, and rendered mute by the horrors she suffered, Clara's life extends no further than the castle kitchens and their garden. Those who know about her just think of her as the dull mute girl who may
Kindle Edition
Published April 2015 by Amazon Digital Services (first published September 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Clara, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clara

Start your review of Clara (Stories of Lorst #1)
J.F.R. Coates
Jul 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF'd unfortunately.

There was a good story in this. I really enjoyed the opening chapter, even if the narrative was a little clunky at times.
Sadly it all started to degrade from there. Without the title of the book, it was tough to tell who the protagonist was even meant to be, with a fluttering narrative that flitted between many characters with seeming no connection. Events kind of just happened with little explanation, and certainly no involvement from the nominal protagonist.

I wasn't able to
E.P.
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you just want to read a quick-moving story of romance and magic. If that's the case, then "Clara" might be the book for you.

"Clara" follows the title character from when she is sold into slavery as a child by her supposed parents to her rise as a Seer who is crucial to the sinister plans of the usurping wizard Marduk, even as she may be falling in love with the rebel general Emmerich, who tried to save her as a child...

This is a fun, easy-reading, sword-and-sorcery type of fantasy, onl
Helena Zelin
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My opinion on this book can be summarized in one word (and that's rare) "wow"
I really fell in love with the story. Clara is one of the most powerful characters I've read about for so many reasons. I really liked every aspect of the plot, the rest of the cast, the twist and the ending. Since I'm the worst when it comes you finishing series, I can't tell the when but I'll definitely read it! One because I'm curious to see how the story will go and two because I'm it'll be torturous in the most ama
Hmr28
May 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Dnf
Amanda
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 🌟

Where to start, where to start... I really enjoyed Clara😊 Just thinking of it makes me happy, sad and excited to read more about the characters.

Clara goes through more than a child should in her young life. Turning a curious 10-year old girl into a skittish mute. She keeps her seer ability secret for a long time until she decides she has no choice but to expose herself. This leads to a whole new set of troubles for Clara. Clara's character goes through so much growth throughout the story.
Jude
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linton’s book follows the journey of Clara, a seemingly ordinary child to whom life has been anything but kind. Having being sold into slavery, Clara loses the ability to talk, her voice forced deep inside of her by the horrors she suffered at the hands of the slavers. Bought by a wealthy master, Clara falls into a dreary life working in the castle kitchens, never venturing further than the kitchen garden. She is known by no name and those around her see her as nothing more than a mute slave gir ...more
Buttercupp77
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
This is a fairly straightforward fantasy surrounding Clara - a young Seer sold into slavery and how she ultimately has a role to play in an eventual rebellion.

The author does a good job of setting up a fictional world, although I think there are ways it could have been made even more vivid.

The characters are largely well-developed. I would have liked to have seen more flaws in the "good" characters, and more redeeming qualities in the "villains" in order to render them more multi-dimensional. (
H.R.R. Gorman
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall, I'd definitely give this a read if you like indie books and character driven stories. The fantasy elements are great, and it's not too overpowering. It's well done, consistent, and the premises are sound.

Still, I have really weird feelings about this book. First, there was nothing that I found actually wrong about it. The writing was good and consistent over a massive number of words, and it keeps moving along well.  The characters were also well done. There was absolutely nothing I cou
Vicky
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2018, four-stars
Clara by Suzanna J. Linton was a pretty good and solid fantasy read. The plot kept me curious from the very chapter, wanting to know where everything was going to go. The characters are pretty great and I enjoyed seeing how the relationships (both romantic and platonic) were developed and I kind of really liked where things were left of for the next book, even if it’s a bit bittersweet, but at least there is no cliffhanger. I do wish that the world building had been a bit more present, while the ...more
Sandy
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot believe how quickly I became engrossed in this story. I finished it within a day and was excited to know I had the second book queued up and ready to go.

The story begins with a young girl who briefly touches her future before being sentenced to her unavoidable fate. Thirteen years later, she is still living her sentence, although much about her has changed. We don’t see all she has experienced, but our vivid imaginations can easily draw conclusions as to her current state of being.

After
Rachel
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I had difficulty in putting this book down! The story grabs you from the very beginning and doesn't let go, even at the last sentence in the final chapter. Being the start of a well written fantasy trilogy, this first book stands alone quite well, but certainly leaves the reader wanting to continue following Clara as she heads off to find out who she really is. Everything flowed together so nicely, and the characters were wonderful and completely believable.
*I received a complimentary copy of th
Wayne Scace
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angie
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Clara is an exceptional start to the series. I was completely taken in by this strong resilient and wilful girl who is the centre of this story of slavery, magic and the fight for a better kingdom. Thank you to Suzanna J Linton and Voracious Readers for the opportunity to read in exchange for an honest review. Highly recommended!!
John Decarteret
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Clara" is a very good first book by Suzanna J. Linton. The character of Clara comes into her own through horrific circumstances. Sold into slavery and forgetting who she is, she embarks on a journey of self discovery. I enjoyed the book with the step by step approach Suzanna took in her writing style, and set it up nicely for the sequel. A nice read for fantasy lovers. 4 stars!
Justine
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fantasy fiction

Complex characters with secret histories and impure motives. War looms and spies are everywhere; Clara wants to help the Rebels with her gift of Sight, but it's unpredictable and uncontrollable. Can she save the Kingdom or will she be manipulated into dooming them all?
Angie
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will they survive the dark king?

I really enjoyed reading this book! I've had it in my que to read for many months and finally cracked it open to find action, danger, and despair. I couldn't quit reading, it just wouldn't let me go. I'm very glad to find 2 more books to continue on the story. I'm excited to find out where Clara goes and what she finds.
Ciayrra The Scorpion Flower
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story blew me away. Clara is such a strong character. I’m looking forward to reading more of the series, because it was fascinating and exciting.
Coco.V
Dec 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (12/29/2019)! 🎁
Charlotte Reynolds
Five stars

A very good book. Was not a fan of the ending. I feel another book is in the future right
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

Clara’s life could be described in one word so far: tough. She was sold into slavery as a child, by a mother who took her in as an orphan. She works a a maid in the castle kitchens, rendered mute by the horrors life threw at her. Most people ignore her, thinking of her as nothing more than a servant, until she prevents a murder by using a gift she’s never told anyone about – she has visions of the future. By preventin
Kristen Walker
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: indie, fantasy
I received Clara's Return in exchange for an honest review and started reading it without realizing at first that I had book 2 of a series. (I guess the name should have been a clue.) When I got past the prequel into the first chapter, I realized from the large amount of summary that I had jumped into the middle of a series by mistake. So I went back and started on the first book, simply called Clara.

There's a strong concept at the center of the story. Clara, who was sold into slavery to pay off
Sharon
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book review is “Clara” by Suzanna J. Linton.

One learns about our main character, Clara, starting from a young age where through a cruel fate of events is sold into slavery. She is bought by a wealthy owner who places her in the kitchen to work and help the cook. It is here we learn she has lost the ability to speak. Not knowing her name she is attached to the name of Mouse.

It doesn’t take long for her true potential to shine through as a vision fills her mind about a threat to her master. I
Dana Busenbark
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Clara is a young girl of about 9 or 10 years of age in what makes me think medieval times in a world other than our own. From the clothes they wear, to the descriptions you read of life around her. She meets a young man from a gypsy caravan one day when she is curious about the caravan and is sitting there watching. His name is Emmerich. He is heading to see his grandmother who is making sleeping tonics and Clara goes with him, meeting Mara. After she goes home, what happens to her? Her mother d ...more
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, fantasy
Clara is a young girl of ten when we first meet her, enjoying her last day of freedom although she doesn't realise that. Her life is about to change for the worst, but there is also a spark of hope in the form of Emmerich, a gypsy boy she meets. Clara loses many things, including her voice, during her trials and tribulations but it looks like her life is changing for the better when she meets Emmerich again. Is everything as it seems, or has Emmerich changed in ways too many to be ignored?

This i
Kylie
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This shining new voice in fantasy fiction was, to me, reminiscent of one of my favourite fantasy authors; Juliet Marillier, and I am eagerly awaiting the next instalment of Clara's, the protagonist's adventures.
Even though Clara has survived horrible experiences like slavery she remains at heart, a feisty, strong young woman. With two handsome men interested in her and freed from slavery things should be looking up... Except for a murderous wizard King bent on ruling and remaking the world and
Linda Levine
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Clara's journey is a difficult one. She goes from carefree child to slave with horrifying years of abuse. Her visions give her a path to freedom but bring a different kind of pain and risk to her life.

It is a really enjoyable fantasy story with medieval elements and lots of magic. I found myself very caught up in the story. Clara is so abused that she loses her voice and becomes a mute. Slaves have no names in this cruel world. I was very sad for much of the story as I felt her pain and wanted
Tequila
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I so enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading the next in the series.

Clara is such an amazing character. She overcomes so much and becomes such a powerful force to be reckoned with. I loved that no matter what came her way, she always does what she feels is right in her heart and fights for those she loves. The reader will find themselves dragged into this world created by Linton and captured by this action packed story and w
Vickie Raynor
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
The adventure and the storyline was incredible. I was transported to a magical realm. I thought the characters each played their part well and I fell in love with Clara and Emmerich.I thought everything was done well except for making me feel a little more emotion with the characters. When a major event took place, I didn't get drawn in as much as I would have liked. Other than that, it still was done well, and I can't wait to read the next book to see how the cliffhanger turns out. Provided by ...more
Fictionlover
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book made me feel like a kid again; I became completely absorbed in the story, and whenever I had to put it down and go do something else, I was very bitter.

I love medieval fantasy novels, and was so pleased to find this one. The world Linton built was fantastic, and she did an incredible job naturally embedding important and interesting details into the narrative.

The characters were quite dynamic too, and I thought that the romantic element was done so well; it was compelling, but it didn
Jonalyn Cueto
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
I find CLARA an easy read since this is the first fantasy novel I read. I'm also glad that it is my first one since the darkness of the story is mild, the sequences are easy to follow, and the characters have good credibility on how they revealed themselves. Also, Linton has put in great lines in there, which apply just the same to real-life situations.

You can find my review on this book in detail on my blog: http://jkcsparkle.novelblogs.com/book...
Goodreads Librari...: New Cover for My Novel 4 23 May 01, 2015 11:32AM
Goodreads Authors...: Clara 1 7 Oct 05, 2013 04:59PM

• Golden Poppies
  • Anti Life (Anti Life #1)
  • In Our Own Worlds #2: Four LGBTQ+ Tor.com Novellas
  • Dire (Feathers & Flames Book 1)
  • Room to Breathe
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • The First Mrs. Rothschild
  • Betwixt (Betwixt & Between #1)
  • Tooth and Claw
  • The Last Day
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • Keeper of Wisdom (Rhuna, #1)
  • The Hunt for the Hollywood Clone (Gavin Baller, #1)
  • Sin & Lightning (Demigods of San Francisco, #5)
  • Transmission (The Invasion Chronicles, #1)
  • The Tale of Briton's Fury
  • Dragon Mage Academy The Complete Series: Books 1-7 Box Set
  • Gray Wolf: A legends of Ansu fantasy
Suzanna J. Linton grew up in rural Orangeburg County. At age eight, she tried to read The Secret Garden by herself. After following her mother around for a day, asking questions about the Yorkshire accent, she gave up, but that didn't deter her in developing a deep appreciation for books and the worlds to which they open. A few years later, she wrote her first poem, which eventually led her to try ...more

Stories of Lorst (3 books)
  • Clara's Return (Stories of Lorst #2)
  • Secret Burdens (Stories of Lorst #3)