Start by marking “Extraordinary Means” as Want to Read:
Extraordinary Means

Extraordinary Means

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  13,567 Ratings  ·  2,086 Reviews
When he's sent to Latham House, a boarding school for sick teens, Lane thinks his life may as well be over.
But when he meets Sadie and her friends - a group of eccentric troublemakers - he realises that maybe getting sick is just the beginning. That illness doesn't have to define you, and that falling in love is its own cure.
Published June 4th 2015 by Simon & Schuster Childrens Books (first published May 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Extraordinary Means, please sign up.
Beth Jones In a way, yes. It has partly the same idea. But it's much better. A different, unique and perhaps more relatable version of TFIOS. Definitely…moreIn a way, yes. It has partly the same idea. But it's much better. A different, unique and perhaps more relatable version of TFIOS. Definitely underrated.(less)

Gillian Berry
Nov 23, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The Fault in Our Alaskas
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Masooma

I read this book as a birthday gift to one of the best people on Goodreads- Masooma, who is celebrating her birthday today and who clearly loved this book. (Click her name for the most beautiful review on the book.) Let’s give her a happy birthday rap y’all!

♪ It’s your birthday, Awesome Masooma-ha!
It’s time to celebre-he-ate
Let’s wish her a happy birthde-hey,let’s wish her a happy birthde-hey!
Clap our hands in the air! (2x)
Stomp our feet on the ground! (2x)
The wheels on the bus go round an
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“There’s a difference between being dead and dying.”

Due to a severe case of old lady brain, I’m not 100% positive how this ended up on my Kindle, but I think it was from the library’s recommendation software which proves either (1) I’m not as disgusting a pervert as I figured the library thought me to be or (2) I logged in with someone else’s account by accident. Whatever the reason, I ended up with Extraordinary Means and bumped it
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
It was just okay. I felt like it'd been done before and not because the plot was very similar to TFIOS, that set aside, it featured a lot of typical "quirky yet cool group" tropes.
C.G. Drews
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
That was extraordinary. ON COME ON! You knew I had to say that right?! But, honestly it was. I expected great things, mostly, because it sounded epic, and unique, and I loved the cover (I'm shallow and don't even deny it). I mean, a book about tuberculosis?! Is that even a thing anymore?? SO, gloriously, I a) learnt about tuberculosis, b) read an incredible book that made me sniffly, and c) the gorgeous cover did not lie. Thank goodness.

You know my favourite part? THE HUMOUR. There is so much s
Giselle
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
So far it's 2 for 2 for this author. I read and fell in love with The Beginning of Everything last year, and even having high hopes for this one I was not one bit disappointed.

This time we're taken to Latham House, a place where the sick are sent to try and get better. A place that is pretty much like a very morbid summer camp. Told in alternating point of views, we first meet Lane who's on the road to achieving his goal of going to an Ivy League school. He's a straight A student who'd rather s
Masooma
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My ECG throughout the book:

One moment: steady, floating along the rhythm of the novel
The other moment: drumming to the thrill of adventures of broken rules and forbidden things
Another moment: hoping like a sandwich short of a picnic
Yet another moment: detonated like an atomic bomb in pain and grief
And the final moment: *sigh*

description

I guess my ECG explains fully how I felt throughout the novel. Robyn Schneider made sure she shoved a twister full of emotions. I felt all the emotions at once- pain, grief
Jess
Jun 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ugh. UGH.

This book had such an interesting premise (teens with a drug resistant form of TB in a boarding school aiming to help them recover) and it's exactly the kind of thing I enjoy and yet it fell so flat.

The whole book was littered with pop-culture references that made my skin crawl. Things like 'professor snape was my spirit animal' and 'shots fired in the drink fandom'. Every time one of them came up it felt like it was trying to hard to be ~cool~ and ~relatable~ and every time it happen
April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
WAH

“My first night at Latham house, I lay awake in my narrow, gabled room in cottage 6 wondering how many people had died in it. And I didn’t just wonder this casually, either. I did the math. I figured the probability. And I came up with a number: eight. But then, I had always been terrible at math.”

This was quite a sad story about a group of kids with Total-Drug-Resistant T
Jenna Major
Intriguing, perceptive and another enlightening coming of age story.
Lane was about to begin his senior year with his whole life ahead of him. He had his friends, girlfriend and dream of going to Stanford to look forward too. Until he is diagnosed with TDR-turburculosis. He is sent to a sanatorium that has an 80% rate of survival. His world is tipped upside down as he struggles with his past, present and future. Not knowing how much time he has left live or what his future holds, Lane embarks on
Adam Silvera
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
NEVER LETS ME GO meets Robyn Schneider (because duh, it's by Robyn Schneider) in this badass novel about second chances and misunderstandings and Tumblr and butter beer and life and death. It has the same humor and heart of THE BEGINNING OF EVERYTHING with higher stakes and the addition of a speculative twist that I can't wait to reread in hardcover.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
**changed my rating from a 4 to a 3 after sitting on it for a few days. I've had more time to think about the issues I had with it and after discussing it with April, I've realized that they bugged me more than I first realized. Okay original review starts....now!:

Currently crying in public. I'M NOT OKAY :(

This book snuck up on me and hit me right in the feels. I did have some issues with it, but over all, it was so, so enjoyable. I definitely recommend for fans of John Green or Stephanie Perkin
Aditi
“Miracles were just second chances if you really thought about it--second chances when all hope was lost.”

----Kaya McLaren, an American author

Robyn Schneider, an American author, pens her new novel, Extraordinary Means that traces the story of two terminally ill teenagers, living in a part-hospital-part-boarding-school type of facility and how they fall in love despite of the incurable disease.

Apart from two teenagers suffering from terminal illness and falling in love with each other, there
Cait • A Page with a View
"Being temporary doesn't make something matter any less, because the point isn't for how long, the point is that it happened."

3.5 stars. This kind of felt like a mashup of John Green books at times, but I liked the characters enough to keep reading. Yeah, they're quirky in a way that almost felt cliche. But they have strong personalities that carry through in their POVs and ended up being kind of endearing! I loved how driven Lane was with school.

I usually avoid books about death/dying, but t
Zeynep
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4,5 stars*

Yazarın Türkçe'ye çevrilmiş diğer kitabı Her Şeyin Başlangıcı'nı okumuş birisi olarak söylüyorum, bu ondan daha iyiydi. Her iki kitap da gençlere yönelik ama İkinci Şans'ın aynı zamanda kurgusal bir tarafı var. Çünkü tedavi edilemeyen bir tüberkülozdan mustarip olan çocukların bir çeşit hastane-yurtta bir araya gelişini anlatıyor yazar bu kitabında.

Umarım yazarın diğer kitaplarını da en kısa zamanda okuma fırsatım olur çünkü olayların bağlanışı, karakterlerin o aşırıya kaçmayan sempat
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Love, friendship, hope, illness, amazing.

I am a mess. All tears and broken heart. Oh god, this book.

This is one of those books where you only have to glance at the back cover to know that it'll be a festival of broken hearts and tear shed. And it totally delivers.

The idea of the fictional TDR-TB is just so believable that it wasn't until the authors note at the end that I realised that it was all just fiction. It's terrifying, it could be real. It could so, so easily be real.

I received
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider is a well-written contemporary young adult novel that will surely find its place in the hearts of many. It’s a deliberate tear-jerker perfect for those who are chasing a few moments of catharsis.

When a book is repeatedly described as the love child of Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars, the reader pretty much knows what to expect going in. What’s more, an experienced reader can safely predict the beginning, the middle and the end. The s
Rachel Maniacup
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Masooma
What an extraordinary story!^^

This is a story of a 17 year old young male adult named LANE,who seems to have a perfect life with a great future ahead of him,with high grades,and with a girlfriend whose pretty and smart until he was diagnosed with an incurable Tuberculosis,and was sent to LATHAM HOUSE,a boarding school and sanatorium for this kind of disease.

There in Latham,he was reunited with SADIE,the girl he knew from summer camp 4 yeas ago.A girl who is carefree and who leads a selective gro
merina rey
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fault in Our Stars meets The Perks of being a Wallflower....yet not as good as either of those titles.

More in depth review on my BookTube channel -

Despite its title, there is nothing extraordinary about this book. However, it was quite an enjoyable read.
Although it features MANY tropes, and it can get quite cheesy....I still liked it and I ALMOST cried at the end.
I’m not a book cryer so ALMOST making me cry is an accomplishment. I’ll talk more about this soon on
Evie
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinary Means is, basically, like Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain for the YA crowd. I have read Mann's behemoth of a book while studying literature (few years ago, different continent, whole different life), and it's one of the books that imprinted itself on my memory. I still remember the vividly described, enchanting setting and intelligent, sharp, insightful prose. (Really, you should read The Magic Mountain if you get a chance, it's a work of utter brilliance and erudition).

That bein
Irmak
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Sizi parçalara ayıracak, boğazınıza bir yumru gibi çökecek bir kitap arıyorsanız buyrun o kitap: İkinci Şans.
Hastalıkları konu alan kitapları okumayı ne kadar çok sevsem de okurken kendimi mahvediyorum. Neden bu kadar ağlak bir insanım bilmiyorum. Ama resmen sonunu tahmin etmeme rağmen oturdum ağladım.
Lane, 17 yaşına geldiğinde kendini tedavi edilemeyen tüberküloza yakalanmış bir halde, Latham Yurdu'ndaki gençlerin arasında bulur. Yarı hastane yarı okul olan Latham Yurdu, katı kurallar ve d
Andreya Klobucar
Review coming soon...
Clara
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Can't find the words to describe how great this book were. Wonderfully written and such an amazing story.
I cried four times.
Nicola
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This is my first of Robyn Schneider's books and I really wasn't disappointed. It reminded me of Looking for Alaska but with the added element of having an incurable disease from The Fault in Our Stars. Don't get me wrong, though, Extraordinary Means is not a copycat and has its own, separate, world to immerse yourself in.

The story begins with Lane's point of view. He is a straight A student who spends his life studying to keep his GPA up and working his way towards admission at an Ivy League col
Sophie
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Also reviewed on Sophie Reads YA

I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This is no way impacted in my view.

From the synopsis, it is recommended to those who enjoy John Green or Stephen Chbosky, and I could definitely see the connection with Green, not with Chbosky, which was good for me, as I really couldn't stand The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

This book was nothing like I was expecting, though, to be honest, I don't know much about it when I requested it. This was a
Laurence R.
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWWW MAN THAT WAS SAD!!! But I loved it.

I was instantly attracted to the illness part of this book, which sounded really interesting and futuristic to me (even though I know it isn't). It's scary, but I like to think about living such a sad life and being in this world, as similar as it is to ours, except for the illness. The sadness of these kids' destiny hit me really hard, with all the similarities to summer camp that their quarantine camp has. Comparing to opposite things like that makes th
Justine (bookwormaniac)
Yes, yes, and yes. Robyn Schneider kicked some asses again. Both Lane and Sadie have a good impact on the story. However, Lane, as a boy, doesn't really sound like a guy in some parts of the story. There are some parts that are quite unbelievable for a guy to do or say. Nevertheless, believe or not, when I was reading this book, I felt like I was on a train slowly closing in to another train. Then finally, boom! Train-wreck it is.

"But that's the thing about odds. Roll a die twice, and you expect
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

This is a sad book. Not because of the writing, but because of the subject matter. One kid with tuberculosis is sad enough, but you’ve got a whole facility filled when them in Extraordinary Means. This is not the type of book you’d pick up if you’re feeling down, but for those who can accept it, it offers an interesting concept for kids who just want to find themselves.

With total drug resistant TB, these kids have been quara
Miguel
Also posted at The Quirky Reader

“There’s a specific energy to different moments, and once you lose it, it can’t be recaptured. You’ve got to record it, or you’ve got nothing.”
If The Beginning of Everything was the appetizer to my favorite meal then this book is the main course. I’ve always known that Robyn Schneider’s going to be one of those authors that, once you see their book in a bookstore, you’ll grab it without hesitation.

Extraordinary Means is nothing new I’ve read in YA literature. I’
  • Proof of Forever
  • The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak
  • The Cost of All Things
  • The Last Leaves Falling
  • Invincible (Invincible, #1)
  • Making Pretty
  • Because You'll Never Meet Me (Because You'll Never Meet Me #1)
  • The Lies About Truth
  • Between the Notes
  • Finding Paris
  • Things We Know by Heart
  • How to Win at High School
Robyn Schneider is the bestselling author of The Beginning of Everything and Extraordinary Means, which have earned numerous starred reviews, appear on many state reading lists, and are published in over a dozen countries. Her next book, Invisible Ghosts, comes out in June from Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins. Robyn is a graduate of Columbia University, where she studied creative writing, and ...more

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Girl I Used to Be
    $7.80 $2.99
  • After the Woods
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Being temporary doesn't make something matter any less, because the point isn't for how long, the point is that it happened.” 107 likes
“That's all you can do in this world, no matter how strong the current beats against you, or how heavy your burden, or how tragic your love story. You keep going.” 102 likes