Start by marking “Defective (Fractured Era #1)” as Want to Read:
Defective (Fractured Era #1)

Defective

(The Defective Trilogy #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  241 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In the year 2074, a global conspiracy threatens all life on Earth.
Humanity battles the worst pandemic the world has ever seen.
And the planet is dying.
Our mass extinction event has arrived.
_________________

In the 2020s, disease, epidemics, and financial collapse nearly ended civilization.
The world’s most powerful corporations saved us.
Now, in 2074, the Corporate Coalition r
Paperback, 1
Published March 9th 2018 by Diapason Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Defective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defective

really liked it 4.00  ·

Lizzie
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I discovered Kalquist and her world of genetic modification destroying Earth and its inhabitants through a free novella followed by her free short story "318" . I was impressed with her ability to create characters and a world that immediately gave me an emotional connection to the characters and a vivid image of the scenes in my mind's eye. Defective, a full length novel, takes the characters from those shorter stories and expands them, adding more depth to the people, the world, and the plot.

T
Micah Grant
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the way she brings the current technologies to their dysotopian future state. It was also interesting how the storylines of the various characters all seemed to come together at the end.
Richard
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

There is some suspense, some action and it is descriptive without having excessive detail. I’m enjoying every page. I am disappointed it ended without some type of break in the story line. But on to the next book.
Cyanemi
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: post-apaclyptic
Fantastic book. I could read this book forever. However it ended
Ebony
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So this was another free dystopian and after reading quite a few lately, I think it stands out among the many. The idea of a corporate entity taking over the world is a lot easier to swallow than some other premises for books as the big evil. (I ask myself daily why Voldemort was the big evil who couldn't take over a school, thwarted by children time and again, but I digress)
Decent enough writing that there were only a few bits of dialogue that was clunky sounding.
You head hop from Selene our 16
Marla A Burke
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-kindle
This is a fast paced story, a quick and engrossing read about a failed government experiment, the people now interred because of it, a handful of resistance fighters, and an underground railroad of folks helping those people the government has yet to catch. A son who has lost 2 friends because his father, the sheriff, has turned them in. Anders comes across as a big headed adolescent but it's clear he is beginning to grow up as a result of his father and with an assist from his uncle, one of the ...more
Fredrick Danysh
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-pubs
Most of the world has fallen under governmental control of a few multi-national companies. These companies are facing a pandemic and a underground rebellion at the same time. Defective sets the stage for a Fractured Era series in which some children received super-immunity to disease in failed decade long program.
Bwh
Jun 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, gave-up-on
I couldn't finish it, despite a few tries. I think the author is over-stretching by trying to tie together books and series that are really separate. I think she's tried to reconcile the time lines and plots a few times. It just didn't work for me. I lost interest in the series of series.
Diane
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. But...

Well written and entertaining, but it ends without coming to a climax, in my opinion. It feels like there should be some more chapters before it ends.
Carol Brandon
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this prequel to her other books. It ties things together in the Fractured Era series and sets the stage for the space fleet which is featured in the Fractured Era Legacy series.
We find out what happened to the characters after 318 - and if you haven't read it, it explains it well enough in this book that you don't feel lost. There are 2 plot lines: one with two of the characters from 318, who along with their team from the Resistance are trying to rescue a Resistance member who
Linda
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I freely chose to review this ARC as I'm a HUGE fan of this author, and her books never let me down yet as the books just keep getting better and better I hate to lose the friends I made in the stories! The early twenty-first century resulted in a pandemic plague that killed billions of people until The Coalition arose like a phoenix from the ashes with a cure to genetically modify babies who were immune. Every parent wanted their children to be protected until a discovery turned a blessing into ...more
Joy
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of Autumn Kalqust ever since Legacy Code . She is a great Sci fi/dystopia writer. This book takes place on earth before the whole Legacy Code series so you can read it before or after that series with no problem. They're only minorly connected.
I have the original novellas of Defect Parts 1 and 2. Some of part 1 had been included in Defective ( part 1) but it had been modified and expanded to have other plot lines.
The book is set on Earth. Many children are now "Protected" havi
Jason H
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Defective is the first entry in a prequel series to Kalquist's other series (Paragon? I can't recall) and deals with a somewhat post-apocalyptic Earth controlled by corporations and suffering from pandemics killing lots of humans. There are also genetically modified kids (Defectives) that are a thorn in said evil corporations' sides.

Set within that is a pretty standard "young heroes/heroines need to fight against the establishment while running through various woodlands or suburbs and falling in
Charlie Schluting
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I started with Legacy Code series and enjoyed it. Then this... But I can't figure out what to read next. There are some short stories and conflicting series names. I give up. Too bad - good stories!
Tom Loock
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, sf, thriller
Autumn Kalquist is one of the new generation of successful authors, who know how to work Amazon and social networks. Despite having 10+ books to her name, you won't find her on 'Fantastic Fiction' (a website I use a lot because they normally have every book) and even 'isfdb' has only a handful stories of hers.

I enjoyed Defective, a (not very fast-paced) dystopian thriller and have just purchased the sequel, fully knowing I have signed on for a potentially long series ... but I think the author
Donna Thompson
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-read
"Defective" by Autumn Kalquist is a great book to introduce you to her Fractured Era Saga, if you haven't had the pleasure of reading this wonderful author by now. Autumn has created a fantastic world that is totally believable and completely mesmerizing. She is one of the few scifi writers that has actually brought me to tears and makes me feel for her characters so much, that I become immersed in her stories for days. This book is one that will pull you in and make you a part of its world and ...more
Marley
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So I have read all the Legacy Code saga, prequels, etc, and the original Defect #1.... Defective compared to Defect is so much different with some of the same material. Autumn Kalquist did a wonderful job in rewriting this. I love that we have more povs in this whereas the original had just Selene from what I remember. The plot is a lot different whereas in the original it seemed as though the sickness was spreading to the plants possibly due to the atmosphere and Infinitek's constant medaling w ...more
Paranormal Tendencies
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In the future a fierce disease will spread across the earth killing millions. Scientists have developed a formula that when taken will cause offspring to have super immunity. But these people have been labeled defective. And now they are hunted by the corporation that made them.
This book follows 4 different people and the parts they play in fighting this corporation that now controls the world.
This story kept me glued to my kindle! It was one exciting scene after another and I had a hard time p
John Weeks
Too many characters for me...

I really wanted to like this book, but I never could get attached to any specific character. There are soooooooooooooo many of them. I didn't finish the book because of this. I may come back to it later and start over. At that time I may update the rating.
Uma
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Post apocalyptic. YA. Semi Sci fi. What's not to like in the book you ask..? Using different POVs in a book isn't novel. But moving on from characters stores before they're critical enough or finished enough was fairly distracting.
Second. We just dont have context. Reading 318 or the Legacy Code doesn't give us as much context for this book as it does perspective... and understanding motives for many characters would just create more depth to their stories.
I've read The Better World series thr
Marley
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darlene
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

This is a great book. Great ideas. But, it was slow starting and I didn't like the way it left you hanging at the end. In know, series are like that but indelible a little bit of completion at the end of my stories. I liked it well enough to continue the series, however. I think the moral fiber of the story holds strong and I can't wait for the "evil" to get their comeuppance.
Lindap
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.25 / 4 Stars
Theo
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Revealing Izzy's age to be 24 through the story off. She seems to be written as a 16-20 year old still trying to grow up, not a 24 year old woman whose suffered the loss of her brother.
Victoria
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I daresay Kalquist really grew as a writer. I think I enjoyed "Defective" more so than all here other books combined. Can't wait for the sequel!
Katherine Haxton
May 29, 2017
Jeff
Mar 20, 2017

• Bullet Gal: It's Not You, It's Me
  • L-2011 (Future of London #1)
  • After Everyone Died (The Survivor Journals Book 1)
  • Midnight Picnic
  • Young Americans
  • The Forty First Wink
  • Stay Go d, Sweet Angel
  • All Systems Down (The Cyber War, #1)
  • Hack (F.X. Shepherd #1)
  • Knottspeed
  • The White Devil
  • Carnal Surgery
  • Saturday's Child (Cal Innes, #1)
  • Impact (IMPACT, #1)
  • Two-Way Split
  • Grudge Punk
  • Blood Coins, Vol. 1 (The Judas Chronicles, #1-3)
  • The Halls of Avienne
Hello!
I stop by Goodreads once a month or so. But I love to hear from my readers! The best way to reach me is at autumn (@) autumnkalquist.com.

Visit AutumnKalquist.com to GET YOUR FREE STORY

FRACTURED ERA SERIES by Autumn Kalquist

FRACTURED ERA ARCHIVES
Decode
Protecteds: Origins - Only available to newsletter subscribers.

Fractured Era Defective
Defective
Infected (Coming Soon)
Protected

The Defective Trilogy (3 books)
  • Infected (Defective Trilogy #2)
  • Protected (Defective Trilogy #3)
“When does a man with sight go blind, live without fear of dying, seek truth with lies, know everything yet not enough, dream after waking, make progress in his world… but change nothing?” Crap.” 0 likes