Start by marking “The Capture (The Prey, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Capture (The Prey, #2)

The Capture

(The Prey #2)

This second book in the Prey trilogy is a harrowing story of survival as Book and Hope travel back to the eerie Camp Liberty, where Book was once raised to be hunted for sport, to save those left behind. With new twists, new turns, and a new love triangle, The Capture is a gripping adventure for fans of The Maze Runner.

Every night it was the same: dreaming of those Less
Published January 19th 2016 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Capture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Capture

Start your review of The Capture (The Prey, #2)

“Wouldn’t you rather have us fighting with you than not fighting at all?”

This was an interesting second instalment, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as the first book.

Book continued to fight for those still captured in this book, and went above and beyond, even when it put his own life in danger.

The storyline in this was about Book, Hope and the others going back to try
rachel ☾
Jun 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
I should have written this review earlier. It’s been about a week since I finished The Capture but I’ve already forgotten the majority of it. I cannot even remember how it ended! But anyway, The Prey was hardly my favourite book of the year so my expectations for the sequel were cautiously optimistic at most… and somehow it still managed to disappoint me.

For one, I just have to point out how useless this sequel was. I don’t know if I could ever possibly stress how literally pointless the events
Annette
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Capture is the exciting sequel to The Prey, which I also really enjoyed.

Just so you know what this dystopian world is about, I've copied a bit of my review of The Prey:

This is a book about children after a radiation disaster. There are very few adults, at least that we know of. All the children are in camps for orphans. Some camps are nicer than others. Some camps aren't what they seem to be.

Hope and Faith are twins and they've been running and hiding for years with their father to keep away
Sean
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow this was a really impressive sequel to one of my favorite books from last year. Now, never will I say this is the best-written or most insightful story, but the entertainment factor is undeniable for me. I just had an amazing time reading this, and it really is a haunting, realistic dystopian world. Can’t wait to finish the trilogy off.
Tommy Benson
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Avid dystopian fans will anxiously await the next installment. " Truer words have never been written.

I have been waiting for the next chapter of Tom Isbell's brilliant Prey series since I finished reading the first book in the series 'The Prey.' I was fortunate enough to get my hands on an “uncorrected proof” copy of the book. I purchased my official copy this morning, and I'm already reading through it again. It’s that good.

Boy does Mr. Isbell deliver in this book. The Capture is a fantastic
Emily (Infinite Lives, Infinite Stories)
I won this book on a Goodreads giveaway thinking that the first book would be incredibly fun and thrilling. Unfortunately, the choppy sentences and terrible character descriptions are carried over into this book as well. Honestly, I wasn't too surprised with the overall content of this book. The plot twists were predictable as were the character's reactions. There's not much more to say, I covered most of it in the first book's review.
Bernie
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Could not put this down! Needed to know what happened next, every step of the way!
Amelia Jacobson
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm actually glad I decided to jump into the next book after that awful first book. Now, this wasn't my favorite book--not even close--but it was much better than The Prey .

I LOVED the part on page 404 (view spoiler) And I have also discovered that I love Cat. I felt really bad for him (view spoiler)
P.M.
Aug 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
There is always compromise from the reader to buy into the author's created world. That did not happen with this book. The only reason I finished it was because my neighbor was playing loud music and I couldn't sleep. I did like Argos.
Caroline
Jan 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Even worse than the first book, the writing is terrible and the female protagonist infuriating badly written.
Dominique
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Christian
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
What a steaming pile of s#!t.

Isbell should have just titled this what it is...'The Divergent Maze Runners'...not one single original idea in there anywhere. While 'The Prey' was (at least) tolerable fluff, 'The Captive' is just a successive series of cliches stitched together like...a successive series of cliches. "There's a storm coming"? Really?? How does Book #3 begin..."It was a dark and stormy night..."?

Unfortunately, for me, I'm a completist. Book #3, here I come. ugh.
Dee Price
After Book, Cat, and Hope lead the LT's and the Sisters to The New Territory, Book decides to return to free the rest of the LT's. With help from Cat, Hope, and a few others they make their way back to Camp Liberty but this time they face Crazies, Brown Shirts, and a few other surprises along the way.

This book introduces a brand new love triangle, along with new twists and betrayals. This book is just as action-packed as the Prey but unfortunately, Hope was also just as annoying!
Autumn Nester
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was just as good as the first one. They find out so many new things that define their mission, who they want to be, and how they want to change the world their living in. The only thing that I think would have made the book better was seeing more of the Skull Head way of life and where the relationship with Miranda would have went if it hadn't been so abruptly interrupted. But all of that last sentence is definitely personal preference.
Erin
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is full of twists and turns, the author makes decisions with the characters and plot that nobody would expect. I really loved the development of Cat, as well as the conflict inside of the group, which leads to many of the other conflicts Hope and Book find themselves in.
Read By Angel
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first I was hesitant to read this trilogy, but after reading The Prey and The Capture I can fully admit I'm in love with these books so far. I relate to the character book more then I expected too.
Ella
Jan 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
couldn't finish. the writing style was killing me! Story was just so un realistic and boring. i agree with all the other comments about characters and the background story. i really wanted to like this book.
Alice
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than first book : more complication and character development .
Bo
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good!
Smongo
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book starting book 3 now
NayDoubleU
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hope super annoying but other than that fair read. Started slow but got better
Janet Johnson
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awsome like the first one!! Keeping you on the edge of your seat!! Must read!!
Ruthsic
Book, Hope, and Cat cannot live with themselves—they cannot settle into a new free life knowing the rest of their fellow Less Thans and Sisters are still imprisoned. Now the teens must retrace their steps to save the others, destroy the compound, and thwart the evil plans of the Republic.

With new enemies lurking—deranged Crazies and ominous Skull People among them—the group must put their fate in the hands of unexpected allies, including the woman with the long black hair and Miranda, the
H. J.
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Captureis an excellent sequel to The Prey! Just as I loved the action and adventure throughout the entire first book, this second part of Book and Hope's journey did not disappoint. This second part was full of new challenges for the characters, and I found myself constantly wondering what was going to be in store for both Book and Hope. I kept worrying of whether they would end up together at last in the end of this book or if their relationship would drift farther apart.

The Capture leaves
Joshua Stenvick
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Isbell creates a wonderful world and amazing characters with his first book, "The Prey". Book two, "The Capture" picks up right where the first one left off, and that's good, right? But what I wasn't prepared for, was the depth at which each of these characters were created. They were three dimensional. Funny, caring, sensitive and made mistakes, like the rest of us. Not only are the main characters well flushed out, so are their sidekicks. Each member of the group has their own personality ...more
Keely Bales
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had to have been hard to write in order to be as good as the first book in the series "The Prey", but somehow Tom Isbell did it. Tom Isbell created a just as good sequel, maybe even better than the first book in the series. "The Capture" was more action-packed than the first book, and was full of several surprises I never saw coming. When Book went back for Cat and found him with only one arm, I was in total shock. Isbell has very powerful writing that kept me wanting to read more and ...more
Ellie
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was better than the first in my opinion due to its better flow throughout. There were more surprises, which made it much more interesting, however, some of his details were confusing and I got lost at a few points. Nevertheless, this book had more romance and gory details, which I thought allowed it to develop into a better plot. However, I still do not like how much Book is stuck to Hope, and how everything he does seems to relate back to her. The plot of the story was a good ...more
Rebecca Veight
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Mankind's capacity for evil" a phrase from the book that is the essence of the story & what the Western Federation officials symbolize. Does violence ever justify being answered with likewise violence? Should mercy be forgotten?

Lots of mysteries "pepper" this thrilling full of action book, the reason for the experiments, who is the woman in Book's dream, the Man in Orange etc making us turn page after page. The titular capture is not at all what u think and such a jawdropper. The only
Mark
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: the author has been a friend of mine for about 30 years. This has a lot to do with why I read the book, but nothing to do with how much I enjoyed it. I don't read teen fiction as a rule, so I was delighted by how well this story is told. Suspenseful and compelling story. It was a real page turner for me -- I couldn't put it down. Great characters - empathetic and complex - with a true understanding of the moral dilemmas that face young people. I read the first and enjoyed it ...more
Andy Bennett
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommendations
The second installment of "The Prey" trilogy picks up where the first left off, with the Less Thans and Sisters determined to head back and free their friends. It's a harrowing journey, but one that opens up the world of America post-Omega in startling and stunning ways. It seems that nothing is what it seems, and each character has secrets to reveal as you track along with Book and Hope on an adventure that ups the stakes in deadly ways. This story takes the type of unexpected twists that come ...more

• Skylark (Skylark, #1)
  • Origin (Corpus, #1)
  • Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
  • The Lost Girl of Astor Street
  • Thunder (Stone Braide Chronicles, #1)
  • The Poe Estate (The Grimm Legacy, #3)
  • The Wells Bequest (The Grimm Legacy, #2)
  • Exo (Exo #1)
  • Blood of Iax
  • The Infects
  • The Grimm Legacy (The Grimm Legacy, #1)
  • The Forbidden Library (The Forbidden Library, #1)
  • The Mad Apprentice (The Forbidden Library, #2)
  • The Palace of Glass (The Forbidden Library, #3)
  • The Fall of the Readers (The Forbidden Library, #4)
  • The Maze Runner Series  (The Maze Runner #0.5, #1-3)
  • Article 5 (Article 5, #1)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
A graduate of the Yale School of Drama and the University of Illinois, Tom Isbell spent his professional career acting in theatre, film and TV, working opposite Robert DeNiro, Ed Harris, Helen Hunt, Lynn Redgrave, Rosemary Harris, Hal Holbrook, Anne Bancroft, Sarah Jessica Parker, John Turturro, Angela Bassett and others. TV credits include Designing Women, L.A. Law, Golden Girls, Murder She ...more

The Prey (3 books)
  • The Prey (The Prey, #1)
  • The Release (The Prey, #3)