Start by marking “The Capture (The Prey, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Capture (The Prey, #2)

The Capture

(The Prey #2)

This second book in the Prey trilogy is a harrowing story of survival as Book and Hope travel back to the eerie Camp Liberty, where Book was once raised to be hunted for sport, to save those left behind. With new twists, new turns, and a new love triangle, The Capture is a gripping adventure for fans of The Maze Runner.

Every night it was the same: dreaming of those Less Th
Published January 19th 2016 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Capture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Capture

Start your review of The Capture (The Prey, #2)
Sarah Elizabeth

“Wouldn’t you rather have us fighting with you than not fighting at all?”

This was an interesting second instalment, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as the first book.

Book continued to fight for those still captured in this book, and went above and beyond, even when it put his own life in danger.

The storyline in this was about Book, Hope and the others going back t
rachel ☾
I should have written this review earlier. It’s been about a week since I finished The Capture but I’ve already forgotten the majority of it. I cannot even remember how it ended! But anyway, The Prey was hardly my favourite book of the year so my expectations for the sequel were cautiously optimistic at most… and somehow it still managed to disappoint me.

For one, I just have to point out how useless this sequel was. I don’t know if I could ever possibly stress how literally pointless the events
Annette
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Capture is the exciting sequel to The Prey, which I also really enjoyed.

Just so you know what this dystopian world is about, I've copied a bit of my review of The Prey:

This is a book about children after a radiation disaster. There are very few adults, at least that we know of. All the children are in camps for orphans. Some camps are nicer than others. Some camps aren't what they seem to be.

Hope and Faith are twins and they've been running and hiding for years with their father to keep away
S61
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow this was a really impressive sequel to one of my favorite books from last year. Now, never will I say this is the best-written or most insightful story, but the entertainment factor is undeniable for me. I just had an amazing time reading this, and it really is a haunting, realistic dystopian world. Can’t wait to finish the trilogy off.
Amelia Jacobson
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm actually glad I decided to jump into the next book after that awful first book. Now, this wasn't my favorite book--not even close--but it was much better than The Prey .

I LOVED the part on page 404 (view spoiler) And I have also discovered that I love Cat. I felt really bad for him (view spoiler)
Tommy Benson
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Avid dystopian fans will anxiously await the next installment. " Truer words have never been written.

I have been waiting for the next chapter of Tom Isbell's brilliant Prey series since I finished reading the first book in the series 'The Prey.' I was fortunate enough to get my hands on an “uncorrected proof” copy of the book. I purchased my official copy this morning, and I'm already reading through it again. It’s that good.

Boy does Mr. Isbell deliver in this book. The Capture is a fantastic
Emily (Infinite Lives, Infinite Stories)
I won this book on a Goodreads giveaway thinking that the first book would be incredibly fun and thrilling. Unfortunately, the choppy sentences and terrible character descriptions are carried over into this book as well. Honestly, I wasn't too surprised with the overall content of this book. The plot twists were predictable as were the character's reactions. There's not much more to say, I covered most of it in the first book's review. ...more
Bernie
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Could not put this down! Needed to know what happened next, every step of the way!
Aparna
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Stars: 3 / 5
Recommendation: Hope & Despair; Friendships & Betrayals; Love & Hatred; Cruelty & Revenge; Rulers & Subjects; Captures & Escapes; every page gives you a variety in characters, emotions, plans, mishaps and terrors. A recipe for a dystopian novel successfully executed.

The Capture is the second book in The Prey trilogy by Tom Isbell published in January of 2016. The plot begins where it ended in the first book The Prey (https://inspirethoughts.livejournal.c...), with a group of Less Tha
Kingston Singh
¨The Capture,¨ by Tom Isbell is a great book that I read over the course of the 3rd marking period. I read this book using a hard copy that I got from the library. I chose this book because it is part of the ¨Gone¨ series, and previously, I read ¨Gone,¨ so I thought it would be fun for me to continue reading the series. The genre of this book is action and adventure. The main characters of the book are Hope, a girl who was on the run with her family, but then got captured and lived with the sist ...more
Spencer
2019
Unfortunately, this trilogy didn't improve any for me in the second book.

I felt like this was a lot of the same. They (view spoiler) (the main group) decide to make a stupid decision (heroic, yes. Stupid, also yes) to head back to their camps to save the rest of the children.

It felt very much the same as the first. Except that they ran into even more trouble (I guess the author had to up the ante some how) than the first story.
P.M.
Aug 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
There is always compromise from the reader to buy into the author's created world. That did not happen with this book. The only reason I finished it was because my neighbor was playing loud music and I couldn't sleep. I did like Argos. ...more
Caroline
Jan 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Even worse than the first book, the writing is terrible and the female protagonist infuriating badly written.
Dominique
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Christian
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
What a steaming pile of s#!t.

Isbell should have just titled this what it is...'The Divergent Maze Runners'...not one single original idea in there anywhere. While 'The Prey' was (at least) tolerable fluff, 'The Captive' is just a successive series of cliches stitched together like...a successive series of cliches. "There's a storm coming"? Really?? How does Book #3 begin..."It was a dark and stormy night..."?

Unfortunately, for me, I'm a completist. Book #3, here I come. ugh.
Dee Price
After Book, Cat, and Hope lead the LT's and the Sisters to The New Territory, Book decides to return to free the rest of the LT's. With help from Cat, Hope, and a few others they make their way back to Camp Liberty but this time they face Crazies, Brown Shirts, and a few other surprises along the way.

This book introduces a brand new love triangle, along with new twists and betrayals. This book is just as action-packed as the Prey but unfortunately, Hope was also just as annoying!
Autumn Nester
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was just as good as the first one. They find out so many new things that define their mission, who they want to be, and how they want to change the world their living in. The only thing that I think would have made the book better was seeing more of the Skull Head way of life and where the relationship with Miranda would have went if it hadn't been so abruptly interrupted. But all of that last sentence is definitely personal preference. ...more
David Francis
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Krista Prichard
Mar 03, 2021 rated it liked it
Read By Angel
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first I was hesitant to read this trilogy, but after reading The Prey and The Capture I can fully admit I'm in love with these books so far. I relate to the character book more then I expected too. ...more
Ella
Jan 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
couldn't finish. the writing style was killing me! Story was just so un realistic and boring. i agree with all the other comments about characters and the background story. i really wanted to like this book. ...more
Erin
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is full of twists and turns, the author makes decisions with the characters and plot that nobody would expect. I really loved the development of Cat, as well as the conflict inside of the group, which leads to many of the other conflicts Hope and Book find themselves in.
Sandi Gerner
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
So glad I discovered this author. I really enjoy his books. Although intended for teens, the books are entertaining and the characters well developed. I plan on starting the third book in this series as soon as possible.
Smongo
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book starting book 3 now
Jj
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awsome like the first one!! Keeping you on the edge of your seat!! Must read!!
Alice
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than first book : more complication and character development .
NayDoubleU
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hope super annoying but other than that fair read. Started slow but got better
Bo
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good!
Matthew Oliveras
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Whoa. Treachery and cowardice galore from those that choose to give up. Plenty of action too. Makes me want to camp out with my archery set.
Ruthsic
Book, Hope, and Cat cannot live with themselves—they cannot settle into a new free life knowing the rest of their fellow Less Thans and Sisters are still imprisoned. Now the teens must retrace their steps to save the others, destroy the compound, and thwart the evil plans of the Republic.

With new enemies lurking—deranged Crazies and ominous Skull People among them—the group must put their fate in the hands of unexpected allies, including the woman with the long black hair and Miranda, the daught
« previous 1 3 next »

• Partials (Partials Sequence, #1)
  • Across the Void
  • Skylark (Skylark, #1)
  • Origin (Corpus, #1)
  • The Rule of Thoughts (The Mortality Doctrine, #2)
  • The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set (Abhorsen, #1-3)
  • Shade's Children
  • The Ragwitch
  • The Creature in the Case (Abhorsen, #3.5)
  • Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories (Abhorsen, #3.5)
  • Article 5 (Article 5, #1)
  • Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
  • The Lost Girl of Astor Street
  • Thunder (Stone Braide Chronicles, #1)
  • The Poe Estate (The Grimm Legacy, #3)
  • The Wells Bequest (The Grimm Legacy, #2)
  • The Grimm Legacy (The Grimm Legacy, #1)
  • Uninvited (Uninvited, #1)
A graduate of the Yale School of Drama and the University of Illinois, Tom Isbell spent his professional career acting in theatre, film and TV, working opposite Robert DeNiro, Ed Harris, Helen Hunt, Lynn Redgrave, Rosemary Harris, Hal Holbrook, Anne Bancroft, Sarah Jessica Parker, John Turturro, Angela Bassett and others. TV credits include Designing Women, L.A. Law, Golden Girls, Murder She Wrote ...more

The Prey (3 books)
  • The Prey (The Prey, #1)
  • The Release (The Prey, #3)

News & Interviews

According to some historians, the month of April is actually named after Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, by way of the Romans....