Start by marking “The Reading Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Readers” as Want to Read:

With hit books that support strategic reading through conferring, small groups, and assessment, Jen Serravallo gets emails almost daily asking, "Isn't there a book of the strategies themselves?" Now there is.

"Strategies make the often invisible work of reading actionable and visible," Jen writes. In The Reading Strategies Book, she collects 300 strategies to share with rea
Published May 20th 2015 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about The Reading Strategies Book, please sign up.
Dana Walters Most of these strategies are targeted at younger grades (k-4 I would say) but because there are so many strategies, many of them could be easily adapt…moreMost of these strategies are targeted at younger grades (k-4 I would say) but because there are so many strategies, many of them could be easily adapted for the older grades, especially if you work with struggling or reluctant readers.(less)

Start your review of The Reading Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Readers
Kathryn
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As teachers, we all have shelves of professional books that we have read and have gleaned an idea or two to use in our teaching, and even some that have transformed our approach to literacy (The Book Whisperer, What Readers Really Do, Notice & Note to name a few). This book, however, will not sit on your shelf. This is a book that will be referenced daily in your work to help students increase their skills on the path to becoming more engaged, more thoughtful, and just plain better readers.

Jenni
Betsy Hubbard
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for any teacher of reading and writing! No matter how you run your reader's workshop, this resource is a must have. With thirteen chapters outlining thirteen goals you will have your next steps for any student at any level. Each goal is broken down into twenty plus strategies with teacher prompts and visuals to help you move the reader. With several chapters on comprehension you will no longer wonder what to teach next to an advanced or novice reader. This book is for K-8 t ...more
Mr. Gottshalk
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is loaded with strategies to help students reach their reading goals for fiction or nonfiction. Many are obvious - things that teachers would do anyway, some are helpful, some are not. The author is terrific and really knows her stuff.
Phil Jensen
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Exactly what it says on the tin: 300 pretty solid strategies for teaching reading skills.

Serravallo is a workshop-oriented teacher, and a lot of her strategies are geared for that setting. There are few graphic organizers and a lot of jotting notes, having discussions, and journalling. That's how reading should be.

The formatting is excellent, and I wish that more books were set up this way. Each strategy has a title, a description, and examples of prompts or questions you might give the students
Mischa Gray
This book is an excellent resource for Elementary teachers. I love so many of the reading strategies and plan to use some of these in my classroom.
Valaree
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book! Teachers: if you want a fantastic reading resource, Jennifer’s handy 400+ page book is it! I’ve taught reading to students for 25 years & am enthralled with the strategies & organization & practical ideas offered within its user friendly format. I can’t say enough, except that I also love Serravallo’s “Writing Strategies Book” —they are both a bit $, but well worth it! The strategies cover emergent readers to advanced readers. The strategies offered are immediately applicable & o ...more
Patrick
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-resource
Excellent resource. Can't wait to put to use in my instruction...
Ms. Schneeman
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource!!! All reading teachers need to have their own copy to cherish, dog-ear, mark up, and use forever. Great work Jen Serravallo! :)
Nathan Albright
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
Given the fact that I read so often, so broadly (although mostly within nonfiction of various genres), and, if I may immodestly say so myself, so well, it may seem somewhat odd that I enjoy reading and listening to material about how to read books better [1].  This is perhaps even more surprising given that this book is aimed at language arts teachers for grades K-8, and given that my instruction of those age groups has generally assumed that someone was able to handle a book rather than involve ...more
Anna Warren
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Reading Strategies Book is an absolute MUST-HAVE for elementary teachers. This book is filled with numerous ideas for teaching young readers across book levels A-O. Jennifer Serravallo was very mindful in how she put this book together, as it is very user friendly and easy to navigate through so that teachers can be as efficient as possible, and get the most out of the book itself. The book is organized in categories such as: Comprehension, Fluency, Word Solving, and more. There are strategi ...more
Ted
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book came along at a perfect time for me. Some of my colleagues and I just put the finishing touches on a new ELA curriculum for our school district. This book is full of wonderful strategies that fit beautifully with this curriculum. I thought using goals instead of chapters to chunk out this book was brilliant. Each goal begins with a few pages of explanation on why that goal is important and how to know if it is right for your students. Each of the 13 goals has strategies for different l ...more
Candice
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I will use over and over again. As a teacher, I have certain books I flock to frequently: Cafe, Daily 5, The Next Step in Guided Reading, The Unstoppable Writing Teacher, and parts of the Literacy Teacher's Playbook. The Reading Strategies book will be among my tried and true books. These strategies are very detailed and most give an anchor chart example to go with it. This should be on every reading teacher's shelf.
Natalie
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very practical ideas. Visually simple. Easy to copy a page and pull it out to use as teaching. Gives visual samples of charts and tools.
Sylvene
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an outstanding resource for teaching reading.
Ashley Jayne
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a valuable professional resource for educators. It is very easy to use right away in the classroom. The table of contents organizes the different reading skills based on the level of readers that you are teaching. It has goals for each level and then lessons to help in teaching those goals. Using the table of contents educators can find the goal they are working towards and an activity to help their readers understand that skill. I love the examples of anchor charts to create with s ...more
Hillary Mock
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to all elementary reading teachers! The book is an easy read, and a great "go to" resource that can be used to plan and carry out reading conferences with students, small group lessons, and/or whole group mini lessons. The book is organized by 13 different "reading goals" that each meet the various reading levels/needs that elementary students might need to focus on. Each goal is explained in depth so that teachers are able to select goals that are appropriate for each of t ...more
Heather
This book is HUGE!!! It is chock-full of ideas to teach reading.

1. It shows the F&P levels so you know who to teach the strategies to. And it explains why, in some instances.
2. It is arranged in what I feel is order of importance. The earlier in the book, the more likely a student has to master the skills before moving on. Also, the earlier in each chapter the same is true.
3. The narrative pages at the beginning of each section tell you who the goals are for.
4. Clear and concise "Strategy" desc
Kate Foran
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
There is so much in this book that is useful. I wll use it every week this year when I'm working on fluency and comprehension reading goals with my 4th graders.

I'm taking off two stars because two chapters - the strategies promoted for Pre-Emergent and Emergent Readers as well as "Promoting Print Work" (strategies to "solve" words) -- many of the strategies promoted in those two sections are more harmful than helpful.

The strategies like "make a guess that makes sense" or "look at the picture an
Erin McDonnell-Jones
This book was recommended to me by a colleague for a possible inclusion in my "Reading and Writing Across the Curriculum" class. However, the class I teach is secondary based, and this text, for the most part, is primary based. There were some useful ideas within this text that I think could be implemented at any level, such as:

(1) "Break Reads" on page 49
(2) "A Spin on KWL" on page 252
(3) "Don't Skip It!" on page 285
(4) "Conversation Playing Board" on page 336

One caution I would offer is that t
Chris
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I used a whole pack of sticky tabs just to mark the great ideas I've found in this book. Going into my second year of teaching elementary kids, this book really opened my eyes to reading strategies I had never even dreamed of but would really work well for students I had last year. This year, I now have a toolkit of strategies inside this book which will help all of my students become even better readers than they already are.
June Crees
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Reading Strategies Book is a wonderful compliment to any emergent, intermediate (and beyond) literacy class. The visuals, layout, and instruction are perfect for preservice and new teachers. It breaks down the strategy by Fountas and Pinnell text level gradient, genre/text type and skill. It also has teaching tips and prompts for every strategy. The author shows some wonderful examples of strategy anchor charts.
Jessica Lynn
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is perhaps the best collection of reading strategies I have ever found. The book is broken up into different goals including things like engagement, fluency, comprehension for fiction and nonfiction, and writing about reading. Each strategy is broken down into easy to follow steps and includes tips and visuals to support the teaching of the strategies. This is my go-to book for reading instruction.
Jenifer
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book 10 stars, I would. It is a great resource for reading teachers of all ages K-6. It takes all we have learned about good teaching and puts it into an easy to use resource; complete with sample teaching language and anchor charts. This is a must have for teachers of any keel of expertise!
Michelle Flores
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though this book is geared primarily for grades K-8, I was still able to find strategies to use with my high school kids. I love how the book is set up because it makes it easy to access the information. Serravallo mentions that she wanted it to be like a cookbook, and it really does remind me of that structure.
Miss Ruark
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a teacher just starting a new grade level, this book gives me actual tools to use in my reading workshop. I highly recommend it.

I had my book cut & spiral bound for easier use. It wasn't very expensive (under $7) and makes it easier to use.
Emily Siniard
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-books
Amazing read when teaching students of all ages to read!! Comes with visuals for all sorts of anchor charts, reading levels, how to use them, etc.!! Worth the $40 Spring 2017 on Amazon!!! There is a writing book too!!
Kate
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for responsive literacy instruction. Very well organized and easy to use to address specific areas of growth. Strategies can serve as teaching points for individual conferences or as whole class mini lessons.
Kcmb
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is nuts. Like the amount of helpful information Jennifer has compiled into one resource is incredible. Jennifer, thank you so much for researching it and putting it all together for us. It will be a sacred text for my instruction.
Jess
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! There is a wealth of truly useful information in a cleverly organized presentation. I will be using this often! Easy to read, easy to apply, and clearly written after plenty of research was sifted through.
Sandy
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is an absolutely AMAZING resource for anyone who teaches literacy at the elementary and middle school levels!! I will be returning to this treasure again and again and can’t wait to implement so many new, thoughtful, and creative ideas with my students!!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Next Step Forward in Guided Reading: An Assess-Decide-Guide Framework for Supporting Every Reader
  • The Daily Five
  • The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child
  • A Teacher's Guide to Writing Conferences: The Classroom Essentials Series
  • The First Days of School: How to Be An Effective Teacher [with CD]
  • Notice and Note: Strategies for Close Reading
  • The Morning Meeting Book: K-8
  • Mathematical Mindsets: Unleashing Students' Potential Through Creative Math, Inspiring Messages and Innovative Teaching
  • No More Fake Reading: Merging the Classics with Independent Reading to Create Joyful, Lifelong Readers
  • Kids Deserve It: Pushing Boundaries and Challenging Conventional Thinking
  • The Essential 55: An Award-Winning Educator's Rules for Discovering the Successful Student in Every Child
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
  • The Ramped-Up Read Aloud: What to Notice as You Turn the Page [grades Prek-3]
  • The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literacy Assessment and Instruction
  • Teach Like a Pirate: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator
  • The Wild Card: 7 Steps to an Educator's Creative Breakthrough
  • A Novel Approach: Whole-Class Novels, Student-Centered Teaching, and Choice

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »