Jump to ratings and reviews

Something to Blog About

Boys, bullies, and blogs come together in a book that brings the popular online diary format to print.

For fans of Lauren Myracle’s ttyl, ttfn, and l8r, g8r, this fun, fast-paced book introduces an unforgettable and relatable heroine and features chapter openers designed to look like the pages of an online blog. An innovative debut, Something to Blog About is filled with the memorable missteps and heartfelt emotions of growing up.

Libby Fawcett decides to start a secret blog so that she can have an outlet to vent her feelings and frustrations. When Seth Jacobs (her crush since eighth grade) witnesses her tragic (and comic) run-in with a Bunsen burner in chemistry class, or when she finds out that her mother is dating the father of her arch-nemesis, Angel Rodriguez, she’s able to keep a level head and make it through school each day with each blog posting. But when her entries get posted all over for the whole world to see, will Libby be able to walk the halls—or face Seth—ever again?

Debut author Shana Norris will win over a whole new generation of teens as she hilariously chronicles the pitfalls and triumphs of the life of a high school girl.

256 pages, Hardcover

First published February 1, 2008

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Shana Norris

19 books322 followers
I write young adult books from a tiny town in eastern North Carolina, where I live with my husband and our zoo of animals. I am the author of SOMETHING TO BLOG ABOUT and TROY HIGH, both available from Abrams/Amulet Books, and THE BOYFRIEND THIEF and SURFACING, both available in ebook format for all ereaders.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
43 (7%)
1 star
14 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 84 reviews
Profile Image for Brianne Durrant.
45 reviews14 followers
May 17, 2013
When I read the first page, I knew I wouldn't stop until I finished this book. "Something to Blog About" is about this girl who blogs about her life on this private blogging website. She didn't realize anyone could get into her account until it was too late.
I would recommend this book to Eighth graders and up, because this is an easy book to read.
Profile Image for J. A..
21 reviews
June 20, 2012
Incredibly mediocre. I actually thought this was going to be a graphic novel, and was disappointed upon picking it up from the library, but decided to read it anyway since it looked like a quick read. Sadly it was as formulaic in terms of high-school YA books as they get, and CHOCK full of cliche-ridden writing :( Bleh, a wasted read but oh well.
Profile Image for Lila.
25 reviews
November 3, 2013
read it, and i totally love to read stuff that i can relate to. i like these kind of format the writing the author puts it, it makes it more fun.
Profile Image for Abigail S.
3 reviews
January 29, 2018
I loved reading this book. When I was reading it, i got more into it and could not put it down. I'm hopefully waiting for a sequel.
Profile Image for Maranda Russell.
Author 22 books65 followers
July 31, 2021
I would give this book a better rating if the mother in it weren't HORRIBLE and the author seems to think it is ok to watch your daughter being tortured and bullied constantly by another kid and just ignore what she is going through so she can f*** the bully's dad! WTF! This is a horrible message to send to kids. If the mother gave a damn about her daughter's mental and emotional health, she wouldn't have tolerated the bully treating her daughter like that, often right in front of her, and see her get away with it with seemingly no penalties or consequences! All for a romance with the bully's dad!
1 review2 followers
September 13, 2018
The Author Shana Norris brings excitement and joy into the book “ Something to blog about”. I originally thought that it was going to be about a girl blogging her life every second, but it came to my attention that it is about a girl in high school and her mom and her best friend all caught up in a twist. Maya’s mom finds love with her worst enemy’s dad. Maya’s boy bestfriend Jacob has a crush on maya’s girl bestfriend Julia. One thing they are all bestfriend’s , maya is stuck in this little loop hole with her mom and her bestfriends. Maya’s crush that she has liked since first grade is finally starting to talk to her. Maya is struggling to handle her busy life. I personally love this book, it has plot twists and shockers. The positive parts in the book are the unexpectedly new things that you learn. The negative aspects of the book Is the ending. I recommend a four out of five stars. It has good details and shockers.
Profile Image for Samantha.
347 reviews32 followers
June 27, 2022
I'd give this a solid 3.5 stars! It was a quick, easy read. However, knocked the rating down quite a bit due to the mother in this book. Like other reviews have mentioned, she just blames her daughter for everything and doesn't take things seriously. Had that not been an issue, I'd easily give this book 5 stars. Fun little read.
Profile Image for Patty Zuiderwijk.
631 reviews6 followers
August 19, 2020
story 3,5/5
characters 3,5/5
writing 3,5/5
audio/paper Paper.
reread? Maybe.
Recommend it? Yeah, I guess.

Verhaal: 3,5/5
Karakters: 3,5/5
Schrijfstijl: 3,5/5
Papier/audio? Papier.
Herlezen: Mischien.
Aanrader? Mja, denk van wel.
5 reviews3 followers
Currently reading
January 17, 2013
My novel that I chose to read this quarter is called Something to Blog About, by Shana Norris. I liked this book because it’s funny, easy to read, and it very easy to relate to because it is young adult literature. I can compare this book to Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson. The reason why this book is like Speak, is because both of the main characters are just starting high school, and both go through some hard times.

The main character Libby Fawcett is just like any other average teenager. She goes to school, hangs out with her friends, embarrasses herself a few times, has an enemy, and has a crush on the hottest guy in school. Libby’s enemy is Angelina Rivera. Ever since kindergarten when the teachers gave each student a pack of blocks at the beginning of the year to use for math and Angel threw Libby’s in the trash and was accused of being a thief, Angel has always been her sworn enemy since. Angel takes every opportunity to embarrass her. What I like about Libby, is that I can relate to her very well. She has divorced parents and so do I, She gets embarrassed quite a bit and so do I, She has one person who is her enemy since kindergarten and so do I. I also like that she has her own blog where she writes about what is going on in her life. There’s nothing I really don’t like about her, but if I had to choose one thing, it would be that she always wants to ditch her friends to hang out with the guy she has a crush on. I wouldn't like my friends doing that to me and my friends wouldn't like me doing that to them either.

Since Libby’s mother is divorced, she is beginning to see other people. Libby is okay with that, until she finds out that her mom is dating her worst enemy’s dad. She found out in the worst way possible. One morning, Libby wasn't supposed to be home but she left a friends house early. She woke up, went to the kitchen, and found her mom and the boyfriend sitting at the table in very few clothing. She found out that the boyfriend was Angel’s dad. Libby took this pretty hard because she knew that Angel would do the same. At school, Libby and Angel made a plan to make their parents turn against each other. The plan didn't work out. Libby got in so much trouble because of the plan. She got suspended from school, and grounded. With all of that happening, their parents are still together. The conflict is what made the book exciting though. It affected her relationship with her crush, her friends, her mom, and her enemy which is pretty much the big picture.

The genre of this book is young adult literature which helps readers understand the big picture because the big picture is about something that young adults may go through. This type of genre is very enjoyable to read. I have read many books from this type of genre and I will continue to choose these types of books. What I like is that most of them are somehow relatable to the reader. Weather it was in the past, or something they are going through now.

If I were to rate this book on a scale of one to five stars, I would give this book three stars. The reason for this is because it wasn't the choice of reading, but I did enjoy some of it. I didn't like how the book sounded too much like a book that a fifth grader would read. I would prefer a book where the writing is a little more grown up. However, I did like how the writer made the main character a blogger. I liked how in the book, you could see Libby’s blog posts and actually read what she was writing. Overall, I enjoyed the book.
Profile Image for Breanna Mae.
12 reviews
Read
February 27, 2017
I saw this at a goodwill and couldn't help but think it sounded cute and funny. I almost didn't buy it--but I am so glad I did. It had me laughing, feeling sorry, angry and more than anything--glad that I took the time to enjoy Libby's story.
Profile Image for Leona J..
10 reviews
September 14, 2013
Something to Blog About by Shana Norris is humorous, sweet, and plain out adorable.

When the password-protected pages of tenth-grader Libby Fawcett's blog is revealed all over the school by her rival, Angel Nemesis, whose father is dating Libby's mom, all of Yeardly High finds out about her embarrassing secrets as well as those of her friends.

I found this novel to be cute, insightful, and well executed. When I was looking at the cover, I noticed two distinct things. The title and the scene/boy being conveyed on the front. Right away, I knew that there would be a boy involved, as most YA books are, and that there would be lots of blogging aspects. Which I found as a great bonus. I dove into the book, all excited and hoping for the best. What I got out of it was quiet chuckles and predictability. Once I read the first chapter, I knew right away what would happen in the end, which I would love to share with all of you lovely people, but as you may know, I don't put spoilers in my reviews.

Something to Blog About did have moments where it really displayed talent. Norris wonderfully portrayed our main female character, Libby as your average teenager. Very real and authentic. Shana Norris also involved the blogging idea in very well. I felt like I was snooping around and had come across a 15-some teenager's online diary.

Talking about our MFC, I am sorry to say that I found Libby a bit too young. Like I was watching a scene unravel through a middle-schoolers eyes. Not a tenth-grader's. I felt as if Libby was written as too unconfined in herself. She put herself down a bit too often and she showed so much lack of respect for herself. But her opposite, Seth, the typical swoon-worthy high school hottie was very expected. He was predictable and I already imagined him in his every step before he took it.

Apart from the character development, I found this book to be a lovely take on your usual high school drama. I would recommend this for any middle schoolers out there looking for some laughs and slight romance.
Profile Image for Jennifer Wardrip.
Author 5 books479 followers
November 24, 2012
Reviewed by Cana Rensberger for TeensReadToo.com

Sometimes you just have to have a place to vent, ya know?

That's why Libby Fawcett started her blog. She wrote about her most embarrassing moments, like when she caught her hair on fire in chemistry class right in front of Seth Jacobs! She posted an entry the day she found out her mom was dating someone and that it had been going on for months. She blogged about her morning breath that tasted like she'd "been eating socks" in her sleep and the pimple on her earlobe. And she wrote about her cousin, Roger, who was crushing on her best friend, Keisha. She wrote about everything. And why not? She'd taken precautions. The blog was set to private. No one else could see it. Could they?

Angel Rivera, Libby's sworn enemy, torments Libby on a daily basis at school. When the girls discover their parents are dating one another, the harassment escalates. When Libby finds herself suspended after one of Angel's pranks, she realizes that she's being used to help break up their parents. Does she really want to cause her mother that much pain? Doing the right thing becomes even more difficult after Angel manages to turn the entire school against Libby.

SOMETHING TO BLOG ABOUT by Shana Norris is funny and engaging, a wonderful glimpse into the topsy-turvy emotions of a teen in love, who's also dealing with a parent who's dating and in love. I was only a few chapters in when my twelve-year-old daughter snagged my copy and read it straight through. She loved it! This first novel by Shana Norris is definitely "SOMETHING TO BLOG ABOUT!"
Profile Image for Cana Rensberger.
63 reviews7 followers
January 3, 2010
Sometimes you just have to have a place to vent, ya know? That’s why Libby Fawcett started her blog. She wrote about her most embarrassing moments, like when she caught her hair on fire in chemistry class right in front of Seth Jacobs! She posted an entry the day she found out her mom was dating someone and that it had been going on for months. She blogged about her morning breath that tasted like she’d “been eating socks” in her sleep and the pimple on her earlobe. And she wrote about her cousin Roger, who was crushing on her best friend Keisha. She wrote about everything. And why not? She’d taken precautions. The blog was set to private. No one else could see it. Could they?

Angel Rivera, Libby’s sworn enemy, torments Libby on a daily basis at school. When the girls discover their parents are dating one another, the harassment escalates. When Libby finds herself suspended after one of Angel’s pranks, she realizes that she’s being used to help break up their parents. Does she really want to cause her mother that much pain? Doing the right thing becomes even more difficult after Angel manages to turn the entire school against Libby.

SOMETHING TO BLOG ABOUT by Shana Norris is funny and engaging, a wonderful glimpse into the topsy-turvy emotions of a teen in love, who’s also dealing with a parent who’s dating and in love. I was only a few chapters in when my twelve-year-old daughter snagged my copy and read it straight through. She loved it! This first novel by Shana Norris is definitely “SOMETHING TO BLOG ABOUT!”

Read
August 20, 2013
SOMETHING TO BLOG ABOUT is sweet, funny, and altogether fabulous. I loved it!” – Lauren Myracle, New York Times Bestselling Author of TTYL

“How it gets resolved with a happy ending is the stuff of a witty sitcom. The blog format interspersed with chapters will interest Internet-savvy readers.” – KLIATT

“…funny and engaging, a wonderful glimpse into the topsy-turvy
emotions of a teen in love…” – Cana Rensberger, TeensReadToo.com reviewer

Something to Blog About
By Shana Norris – February 2008 – Amulet Books
ISBN-13/EAN: 9780810994744 – 256 Pages

Libby Fawcett decides to start a secret blog so that she can have an outlet to vent her feelings and frustrations. When Seth Jacobs (her crush since eighth grade) witnesses her tragic (and comic) run-in with a Bunsen burner in chemistry class, or when she finds out that her mother is dating the father of her arch-nemesis, Angel Rivera, she’s able to keep a level head and make it through school each day with each blog posting. But when her entries get posted all over for the whole world to see, will Libby be able to walk the halls–or face Seth–ever again?

This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Laura.
761 reviews46 followers
September 28, 2008
First off, I loved the cover and one page of interior art that has this stylized art. My friend Rachel, whose opinion I am asking for most of these covers, liked it but got mad to discover that it wasn't a graphic novel. I do think that if you're going to have distictively graphic novel type art like that, you should follow through. For ages 10+ it can afford to have a few one page pictures or chapter end graphics.

The blog aspect was done well, parts of the future plot are revealed, making the reader want to continue. When I got close to the end, everything was wrapping up too neatly and quickly. Things happened that should not have been forgiven that easily. I also didn't like that Angel, the villian of the piece was too black and white. That is, for a character that has both black and white, there still wasn't any gray. She does horrible hateful things, and being friends with one child doesn't make her a complex or dynamic character.

One last "I'm crazy" and even my fiance yelled at me for it peeve: Why would you incidentally name a teacher Ms Hoover? There's already a famous fictional teacher named Ms Hoover out there and I couldn't shake the image of these kids as yellow skinned Simpsons characters. I really need to let that stuff go.
Profile Image for Stacy268.
431 reviews
August 14, 2008
Libby's life seems to be in the dumps. Not only did she set her own hair on fire during chemistry class, but her crush Seth seems to be flirting with her nemesis Angel Rodriguez. Add to this mix the fact that Libby has just discovered that her mom has had a secret boyfriend for the past 7 months now. His name just happens to be Manny Rodriguez. Angel's dad! Can you imagine?

So what's a girl to do? Blog about it, of course. But in a private password protected blog that nobody would have access to, right? Well, nobody would have had access if her mom hadn't invited Angel and her dad over for dinner.

What will happen when Libby's private blog is suddenly very public? All those thoughts about Seth? Her moaning about her best friend Keisha? Will Libby ever be able to get over the humiliation?

Shana Norris has written a breezy read incorporating blog posts and regular text. The ultimate fear in high school is humiliation, and poor Libby gets more than her fair share. High school, crushes, family structure, and friendship are overarching themes in this title. Perfect for fans of Myracle's earlier work(ttyl etc) and those girls looking for a clean teen read.
Profile Image for Karissa.
517 reviews7 followers
May 29, 2012
This is an extremely quick read. It's cute and quirky, and I like how the author made quite a lot of the characters different races but she didn't make it really obvious either. Between each chapter is blog entry - though it of seemed like the whole book was a part of her blog. I didn't quite get how that worked.

Libby is in love with Seth who is best friends with Angel who is a terror. But Seth asks Libby to tutor her in chemistry - which she herself needs a tutor in - and she automatically agrees. So she ends up learning chemistry, and about Seth, all in one! And of course they end up together.

But then Angel's dad and Libby's mom start dating and that cannot happen. So Angel and Libby try to work together to break them apart. Not happening! But in the end the two of them deal, especially when the book ends off with the idea that the parents are getting engaged. Though I swear, Libby's mom had a lot of composure and I cannot believe that she didn't tell Angel's dad how nasty she had been. I mean, the child deserved a smack to the face. But I guess condoning that sort of violence in this kind of book is a big no-no.

Anyways, if you want something you don't really have to think about this is one to pick up!
Profile Image for Lesley.
535 reviews26 followers
September 27, 2010
Run-of-the-mill teen angst, enlivened by engaging, non-stereotypical characters. 15 year old Libby Fawcett (presumably white) lives with her pink collar single mom Maura, who falls in love with Manuel Rodriguez (presumably Hispanic)the wealthy, white collar father of Libby's Greatest Foe, the bitchy Angel. Complicating things is a possible romance between Libby's sweet-but-clueless cousin Roger and her best friend Keshia, (presumably African American); and Libby's own crush on Angel's best friend Seth. Though the racial and class differences are never explicitly stated, they clearly affect the narrative: mansion resident Angel delights in calling Libby's mother "trash", while Keshia's tendency to dole out unwarranted butt kicking threats causes tension with Libby and Roger. A great story, amusingly told, with no irredeemable villains (although Angel comes close) and relatable characters you'll want to end up happy.
31 reviews9 followers
April 25, 2012
I think that this is a fantastic book due to many reasons. I can make connections to the main character, as we our ages are roughly the same. We encounter the same obstacles. For instance, not doing well in a certain subject in school.The main character was struggling with chemistry, while I struggled in math. However, we both know that we have to bring our grades up. Otherwise, we will suffer the consequences. The main character also encounters family issues. Her mom is dating her enemy's father, which increases her animosity towards her enemy, Angela. Libby has a blog and constantly updates it. Angela started to make her blogs public and eventually, everyone read her personal information. however,things started to go her way. A concept that I learned in this book was " All bad things will go, but all good things will stay. " Therefore, I really enjoyed reading this book to the point where I couldn't put it down until I was finished with it.
Profile Image for Alicia Montoya.
15 reviews
October 14, 2012

Something to blog about is a book about everyday life and that is why I really liked it. What I liked most about it is that it could really happen to anybody. Also that it was a story of a girl’s life and not some made up junk that could not happen. I liked how she had her ups and downs. Also it all turned out okay in the end. She made friends with her enemy and learned to put troubles aside. The girl in this book is a really good role model for every teenage girl out there. She has far-fetched dreams that really do come true. This book teaches you to look on the up side of everything. Also you have to make the best out of a bad or embarrassing situation. This book is really funny and said. I would defiantly read this book again if I had time. I am giving it five stars for all these reasons. This book is really motivating and tells you that some dreams really do come true, Even if it is having a crush the boy of your dreams. You have to keep you head up and never give up.
Profile Image for Awilma Acosta.
26 reviews
February 22, 2010
Something to blog about is about a 15 year old girl NAMED LIBBY who burns her hair in chemistry class while staring at her 3 year mayor crush, seth. libby has a greatest enemy in high school. Her name is Angel Rivera. When Angel and Libby are at their worst of moments, they frind out that both Libby's mother and Angel's father are dating! They both make friends with eachother to separate their [parents but at the end they become friends and sisters in law because their plan failed and their fake frienship grew to make them best friend. Seth, who did not fail chemistry, fell in love with libby and asked her out. Mybe life for libby wasnt so bad after all.=:]
BYE!!!
Profile Image for Rachel Boling.
133 reviews5 followers
January 25, 2012
This was a great book. Emily found it for me at the library. The story begins when the heroine sets her hair on fire in chemistry class because she is mooning over a boy. Said boy is actually a nice guy (sorry if that spoils the plot for anyone). Her cousin, Rodger, is in love with her best friend. And her mom is dating the dad of her arch-enemy, who is friends with her crush.

This book was a quick read, but it was refreshingly free of smut, and while the plot and the characters didn't surprise me, it was really nice to read a book where the girl likes a nice guy, and he really is a nice guy and not really a horrible person.
Profile Image for swiftpuppy13.
79 reviews22 followers
December 29, 2015
Something To Blog About
By: Shana Norris (@shananorris)

Summary:
Libby can't catch a break. She accidentally set her hair aflame with a Bunsen burner in front of her whole chemistry class AND her crush, Seth. To add to that, her mom is dating the father of Libby's arch nemesis, Angel.
Libby invents a secret blog for venting purposes, kind of like a diary. When Angel plays her cruelest prank yet, Libby is mortified. Will she ever be able to face her classmates (or Seth) again?

Rating: 4.5/5
Fave Character: Keisha is Libby's BFF. She's very confident and more of a tomboy than a girly girl. She's the type of girl I WANT to be.
Profile Image for Steen.
243 reviews2 followers
September 26, 2009
Surprisingly good for a YA book. It wasn't just a string of jokes, but actually had some depth. There was a lot that was super predictable, but also some surprises.
Kiesha...I loved her! And the foot fetish kid. (Excuse me, shoe fetish.)
Very dramatic in a way that only adolescents can be (cough, cough, except for me! Jk!) but towards the end, she gains more maturity, which is the best thing a character can do. I mean, it's not like she's ready to go on to college, but she can be the bigger person. Which is good. :)
502 reviews2 followers
March 10, 2016
This book was totally cool! I read it in just a few hours!

A girl named Libby Fawcett has been tormented ever since Kindergarten by her arch-nemisis, Angel Rivera. When she accidentally burns her hair on a bunsen burner, in front of everyone including her crush, Seth Jacobs, she decides to start an online blog where she can pour out her feelings to no one in particular. But then, her mother and Angel's father start dating and then, Angel decides to pull the cruelest 'prank' on Libby, and it might cost her everything...

LOVED THIS BOOK! :)
Profile Image for Allanna.
501 reviews8 followers
October 23, 2008
Libby is about to fail chemistry (even though, or maybe BECAUSE of, the fact that she caught her hair on fire), is crushing madly on Seth, and has Angel -- her worst enemy since Kindergarten, on her back.

She turns to blogging for a release (that and her Saturday morning run).

Stuff happens and suddenly her private, password-protected blog is passed around the school.

She definitely does have some things to work out.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 84 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.