Start by marking “The Best Kind of Magic (Windy City Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Best Kind of Magic (Windy City Magic, #1)

The Best Kind of Magic

(Windy City Magic #1)

Amber Sand is not a witch. The Sand family Wicca gene somehow leapfrogged over her. But she did get one highly specific magical talent: she can see true love. As a matchmaker, Amber's pretty far down the sorcery food chain (even birthday party magicians rank higher), but after five seconds of eye contact, she can envision anyone's soul mate.

Amber works at her mother's magi
Published May 16th 2017 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Best Kind of Magic, please sign up.
Nathan Bartos I feel like you actually mean "Miss Match" vs "The Best Kind of Magic," and that's because it was released under different publishers. I'm not quite…moreI feel like you actually mean "Miss Match" vs "The Best Kind of Magic," and that's because it was released under different publishers. I'm not quite sure if they're in different countries, but it's not entirely uncommon for publishers, especially in different countries, to change not only the cover but also in some cases the title for the same book. Like in the German edition, the translation is actually "Amber's Magic Moment," and the original title for that edition is listed as "Amber Sand, Matchmaker."(less)
Crystal Cestari Hi! Thanks for your question and your thoughtful review! I'm glad you enjoyed Amber's sense of humor. :) There is a sequel in the works, debuting this…moreHi! Thanks for your question and your thoughtful review! I'm glad you enjoyed Amber's sense of humor. :) There is a sequel in the works, debuting this time next year. Woop woop! Happy reading! (less)

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
A cozy witchy read and on nothing less than the subject of true love and soulmates. Just the way I like them.
Q:
While I may not have the swagger or power of your everyday witch, I’ve come to realize that what I can do is still pretty badass: I can see true love.
I don’t mean the chocolate-covered, mushy-gushy signs of love, but real, destined-to-happen happy endings. All I need is five seconds of eye contact, and I’ll envision anyone’s soul mate.
I’m a matchmaker. (c)
Q:
Sirens are notoriously manipu
Pouting Always
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Amber Sand comes from a family of witches but is not a witch herself. Amber does have her own unique gift however, seeing people's true match. Amber works in her mother's magic shop in downtown Chicago answering people's questions about their love life, putting her gift to use. Things get complicated for Amber when her mom's best friend's son Charlie Blitzman comes to her to help him find his dad's missing girlfriend. As the two try to solve the mystery together, Amber runs into questions about ...more
ambsreads
This is an eARC, all opinions are my own.

DNF @ 25%

I don't like to not finish ARC's. I feel rude. I feel unworthy. However, I couldn't deal with this one. I could see what the author was going for and I was so excited for witches. 14 year old me desperately wanted to read anything with a witch in it. I loved the idea. Hell, I wanted to be a witch. Unfortunately, I am not and double unfortunately this book was falling super flat for me.

The protagonist, who's name I wouldn't be able to remember if
Kat
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
This was a really cute debut about Amber Sands, a witch from a family of witches, who unfortunately hasn’t inherited her mother’s awesome witchy powers. What she does have is the abilities of a matchmaker. She can stare into your eyes and see the person who is your true love. Interesting scenario! Except trouble ensues when Amber finally meets a boy she truly likes, Charlie, and she can see the girl in his happy future… who isn’t her.

I really enjoyed the relationship between Amber and Charlie,
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“The merging of two lives, the threshold of possibility: it's an energy unlike anything else.”

Me? Like an ooey-gooey romantic novel? Never! Ok a little... OK OK, I LOVED IT. Stop hassling me!

Yep, you heard it here. I have found an adorable love story that doesn't make me roll my eyes cynically every five seconds. You guessed it, I'm not really someone who reads light/romantic contemporary novels and that is what this book is at its core. I think that there was a fantasy element mixed in ke
chloe ꒰♡ˊ͈ ु꒳ ूˋ͈꒱.⑅*♡
I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK. I have only read a few magic realism novels, but hey, it might actually be my thing because I really enjoyed reading those books.

Wanting to find love does not make someone weak; it's not a character flaw. Life is hard, and grueling, and having someone root for you and travel beside you is a gift that anyone in this world would be lucky to have. I'm not saying that people can't be happy or fulfilled on their own; of course they can. But being open to the possibilit
kariny v
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-challenge, tours
* I RECEIVED A FREE COPY FOR THE BLOG TOUR*
FOR THE GIVEAWAY VISIT MY BLOG (US/CANADA ONLY) http://karinysteenbooxfrenz.blogspot....

Amber's not the happiest person on the planet. Coming from a line of powerful witches she isn't thrilled with being a lowly matchmaker that witches look down on. She isn't allowed into the coven or into any of the witch traditions because she isn't considered to a be a witch...*Ouch*. But when the mayor's son comes to her for help to find his future step mom who's
MissBecka
Oh my, this was so delightfully cute!
First off let me say thanks to ever awesome Miss Kat for turning my head in the direction of this series.
The characters are all so wonderful...especially Amber who has the most amusing personality in the banter she creates I was in stitches a good chunk of this book.
I adore paranormal books and I hadn't read one that was so much fun in ages!
Amber comes from a long line of witches, though the full witchy gene seems to have alluded her.
She does have a super co
Cheryl Gladfelter
Spent the last few weekends savoring this book. A super sarcastic heroine (my fav!) whose magical ability lets her see everyone's soulmate-except her own. This was a light and frothy read, and just the kind of fun escapism entertainment I've been needing. Plan to recommend to teens at my library looking for the same. Can't wait for book 2!
T.J. Burns
I liked the voice. Amber's matter-of-fact, sarcastic, joke-dropping, sassy, and a little self-depreciating style resonated with me, as did the setting -- my parents are from Chicago.

I thoroughly enjoyed Amber's snide remarks and sarcastic thoughts throughout. Amber continued to surprise me with her witty reactions, comments, and thoughts, which were not at all repetitive, but flexed according to each new situation.

There's a theme that I found intriguing here as well, and that is the idea of fate
Jennifer Y.
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Best Kind of Magic is a fun read filled with magic, wit, and a bit of romance. I thoroughly enjoyed myself as I read Amber's story and even laughed out loud a few times (literally).

Amber is such a fun, snarky character that I found quite relatable and entertaining. You see somehow Amber didn't inherit the gene that would make her a witch like the rest of her family. However, she still has a mystical talent of her own as a matchmaker who can see true love. As she struggles to fit into a famil
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
I am giving away a copy of THE BEST KIND OF MAGIC over at my Blog! CLICK ME!!! <3 <3
Mandy
May 03, 2017 added it
DNF @ 40% (look! I actually remembered to check!)

Honestly, I think I would have loved this story, like, 9 years ago. It has all the makings of a book back in that book era: blonde bimbo/evil promiscuous girl, the popular boy that every girl wants but really has a heart of gold, supernatural heroine who is SO different from everyone else with a wicked sense of humor and snark, and her sassy best friend who is obsessed with boys or thinking about them (well, one in this case). Doesn't this sound l
Morris
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
“The Best Kind of Magic” is a promising start to the new “Windy City Magic” series. It has just the right blend of magical realism, suspense, the supernatural, and romance to make for a fun, light read. It flows well and the sass of Amber kept me laughing. It’s the perfect book for when you need a break from reality. Good for grades 7 through adults. Highly recommended!

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Laurence R.
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really cute! This book is very nice, but I wasn't a fan of the ending. I feel like some things aren't finished, which makes sense, since it's part of a series. However, there's one detail that really needed to be cleared up in this book, in my opinion, and it isn't. I would have liked the ending much better if it were.
Peachy
See full review on: https://bookdragonlair.wordpress.com/...

Review Summary: I had so much fun reading The Best Kind of Magic. It’s funny and different and hard to put down.
Overall, as you probably can tell, I was really taken in. The characters developed well and they live in a slightly more interesting version of Chicago. The sequel will be out soon, but even so, I think that it also works as a standalone. If you’re looking for a light, funny read with unexpected insights on life and love, I h
Tissy
Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So, this was an incredibly boring book. I tried to get into it as I always feel compelled to read as much of an ARC as possible seeing as I requested it etc but I just had to DNF at 23%. It was becoming a waste of my time to read on sooo...

I genuinely don't get a lot of opportunities to read lately so I'm on a quest to only read what grabs me from the first pages or chapter if I'm feeling generous. I was way too generous in this instance and was right to trust my gut that it wouldn't get interes
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This book was adorable!

It was eary to see my high school social organization and my attitude of heavy sarcasm displayed. The banter involving Amber was so near and dear to my heart and is how I tend to communicate as well.

The romances are cute and complex and there's variations in each of them which I loved.

Well written and I'm really curious to see what the plot for the sequel will be. It's kind of fantasy but also magical realism.
Lindsey
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, 2018
Oh my gosh, I freaking love this book!! The sarcasm and the wit that Amber has is amazing! The entire story had me gripped and I already can't wait for the sequel! A favorite of 2017, for sure!!!

Reread in March 2018: Still love Amber and so ready for the sequel!!
TheYALibrarian
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

The vibe one gets from the cover of THE BEST KIND OF MAGIC is that the contents within will be lighthearted and cutesy. The story delivers exactly that - an excellent example of a time a cover is perfect for the book. Unfortunately, while lighthearted and fun, I do have a few complaints about THE BEST KIND OF MAGIC.

Overall, THE BEST KIND OF MAGIC is fluff. It's fun and a quick read, but there were some issues. My primary issue with the book is that the
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
*Huge thanks to the publisher for the e-copy in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Unfortunately, this book was not for me. Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal when I first requested this book. Who doesn't want to read about a girl who can look at someone's eyes and see their soulmate? I certainly found that intriguing! I'm actually in love with the premise of this book.

The problem? The main character wasn't memorable. I can't even remember her name. I try so hard to k
Jessica Robbins
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Nicole Hewitt
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I needed this book in my life right now. I was sort of feeling like I was in a reading slump, partially because I’ve just been busy and tired, and I really needed the sort of book that hooked me in and didn’t let go. This book kept me guessing about where exactly it was going and how things were going to work out, and that was perfect. I was wrapped up in Amber’s life and I loved every minute of it!

What Fed My Addictio
Kathy Martin
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amber Sand comes from a long line of witches. Unfortunately, she's not a witch. She does have one magical power, though. She can see true love which makes her a matchmaker. She works at her mother's magic shop - Windy City Magic - on Navy Pier in downtown Chicago. Despite being able to see a person's true love when looking in their eyes, she is unable to see her own true love. Her best friend Amani is a precog who has visions of the future but they have made a pledge not to tell each other what ...more
Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫
There is so much that I loved about this book!! 'Windy City Magic #1' felt like a cozy mystery for teens and it was my JAM!!! Or you could look at it as Urban Fantasy/Romance for teens just the same. A couple of my little pet peeves showed up and made my eyeballs twitch a bit, but overall, I can't wait for the second book! Or third or fourth! Let me first give a brief synopsis, and then I'll cover my opinions:

The Best Kind of Magic gives us a tour of all kinds of magic in the Windy City (Chicago
Savannah
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This review was originally posted on my blog, Sav Scribbles.

*I received a copy of GOODBYE DAYS from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review. This affects my review in no way.

This book was quite addicting. I read it within 9 hours, which must be some type of record because I almost never finish books that quickly. (Mind you, that's probably because I'm on winter break and today wasn't as busy as usual.)

Let's get into it, shall we?

I didn't really know what THE BEST KIND OF MAGIC was about going
CR
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute book! It has all the elements of a wonderful story! I've been pagan for over 29 years and although we Pagans and Wiccans don't have the magical powers that are in this book. It does give you some very good advice such as. Magic is a gift and not a right. As well as to follow your heart. There's more to life than fate.

This one was a world wind of crazy laughs, snarky remarks, and some really good romance. It's one I will DEFINITELY be rereading in the future. I really fell i
Nicole Campbell
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This was cute. For me, it wavered between being a middle grade novel and a YA novel but didn't totally fit into either category. A little campy at times, but overall worth the read.
Abby♡Books
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Please please tell me that amber and Charlie would have a happy ending I want the second book now not next year ugh :3 so many feelings!!
  • Ante Up (Sin City Collectors, #3)
  • The XYZs of Being Wicked
  • Trancehack (Magic Born, #1)
  • She's a Witch Girl (Salem Witch, #3)
  • Hex Education
  • Bittersweet Magic (The Order, #2)
  • Beauty
  • Utopia, Iowa
  • Tangled Hearts (Highland Hearts, #2)
  • The White Road of The Moon
  • Incarnate (The Spellmason Chronicles, #3)
  • Prince in Disguise
  • Ghouls Night Out (Larue Donavan, #2)
  • While the Cat's Away (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, #25)
  • Angel in My Pocket
  • A Dog's Life (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #9)
  • Go Fetch! (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #13)
  • Prom Time (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #21)
Oh hey! Thanks for stopping by!

Writing has been my jam since I was very young. In fact, in fifth grade we filled out a profile declaring what we would be doing as adults. I wrote I wanted to be an author because: "I love reading and stories, and want to share that love." My elementary-school self was very wise, because that sentiment holds true today.

I live just outside Chicago with my daughter.

Windy City Magic (3 books)
  • The Sweetest Kind of Fate (Windy City Magic, #2)
  • The Fairest Kind of Love (Windy City Magic, #3)
“It's kind of hard to properly work up a full-blown crush when you know you'll never be the endgame.” 2 likes
“You never know what you're getting into when you fall in love, but that doesn't mean you avoid the jump.” 2 likes