Start by marking “Götter der Rache (God of Vengeance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Götter der Rache (God of Vengeance, #1)

Götter der Rache

(The Rise of Sigurd #1)

Norwegen, A. D. 785: Der Wikingerclan unter Führung von Jarl Harald steht vor einem neuen Sturm der Schwerter. Die harten Kämpfer ziehen für ihren König Gorm in die Schlacht: Drachenboot gegen Drachenboot. Doch der verräterische König lockt Harald und seine Mannen in eine tödliche Falle. Ihr Dorf wird vernichtet, Frauen und Kinder niedergemetzelt oder in die Sklaverei gege ...more
Published November 9th 2015 by Heyne (first published April 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Götter der Rache, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Götter der Rache

Maureen
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
*4.5 Stars*

Breathtaking, quite simply,breathtaking! Prepare to have your 'awe' well and truly struck by this amazing Viking saga.

Sigurd's quest to avenge his family's slaughter is relentless, brutal, bloody, but utterly mesmerising. There's no let up in the action, and you barely have time to draw breath before the next event knocks you sideways. This is a glorious, passionate Viking saga that will have you rooting for Sigurd and his warriors. It has to be said that the violence is horrific but
Tosh
A decent story of revenge, if a bit slow and lacking in emotional depth.

This is a prequel to the Raven series. I didn’t even remember owning book one and passing it on to my father, which should tell you how I felt about that one. Secondly, I wouldn’t listen to author comparisons because you may be disappointed. If you go into this book expecting a unique style of writing you will enjoy it much more.

I'll be reading the sequel since I do like the time period, and there are a few characters I hop
Ace
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book is not exactly up to Bernard Cornwell's standard of writing historical fiction or shield wall drama, this first installment of the viking saga of Sigurd has all the necessary ingredients for a great story. A great tale and a good build up to book 2 and 3 as Sigurd is only into his first beard and there is plenty more to come!
Kate
How glad was I to hear that Giles Kristian was to return to the Vikings! God of Vengeance, a prequel to his fabulous Raven trilogy, is utterly immersive. Everything about it - its rich language, stunning landscapes, its mythology, as well as its men and women, warriors, mothers, priests and kings - oozes Viking. Sigurd's quest for vengeance is so exciting, brutal, bloody and driven. Without doubt, this is the historical novel to beat this year. The whole thing is such a brilliant read.

Rebecca
Two words: MUST READ. Also BLOODY BRILLIANT and VIKING GOLD even BUY NOW.

Simply Viking fiction in PEAK PRIME condition.

It is dark, it is dirty and yes there is blood. But oh the GLORY and the PASSION and the GUT-GRIPPING storytelling talent will make you enjoy every chapter, paragraph, sentence and individual words. There are some BEAUTIFUL phrases, kennings and images throughout this book.

The vikings were expert sword-smiths and wrote sagas in silver and blood.
Giles Kristian is a word-smith t
Eric
The first 20% or so I wasn't sure about this book. Sure it is starts out as your basic revenge/blood debt type of book. The story remains one of vengeance. The characters, dynamics and banter is what brings this story to life. I listened to the audio book and the narration was overall is good. I got lost a couple times before I realized a story transition had taken place. The voices of the characters are really well done.

Sigurd is the youngest son of Jarl Harold with fire in his belly to be a wa
Terri
I could have sworn, after I began this book, that I wasn't going to like it. It was written very well, which is what I always expect from this author, as he has only gotten better and better with each book he releases. The scene setting was excellent, also what I expect from this author as this Scandinavian culture is close to his heart - being directly descended from it.

However, for some reason I could not connect with what was going on. For more than 100 pages I was bored and often tempted to
Perry Gough
Nov 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
3 chapters in and I have had enough, so badly written.

Trying to find a new series since finishing the Saxon Saga by Cornwell and even when that series was at its worst it was significantly better then this.

Badly written characters, horrendous dialogue and a writing style that is way to plain and boring for this genre.

Dropped this as it was just awful to me.
Martina
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*
Manda Scott
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Giles Kristian was one of the first historical writers that I came to know: we share a publisher and we’ve shared events and I’ve loved his writing since the first of the ‘Raven BloodEye’ novels came out a handful of years ago. He wrote three of those and then took some time out and wrote a couple of cracking, fast-paced ECW novels, and now he’s back with a vengeance… yes, that was deliberate in all the senses it could be: this is by far and away the best book Giles has ever written and that’s s ...more
José
Una buena novela de ficción histórica ambientada en el año 785.

God of Vengeance cuenta la historia de Sigurd Haraldarsson, el hijo menor de uno de los jarls más respetados de Noruega. El rey rompe su juramento y traiciona al padre de Sigurd, masacrando a toda su familia y amigos; el joven jura vengarse y comienza a reunir a los pocos sobrevivientes del ataque.

Fue un gran libro, aunque debo admitir que no es para todo el mundo. Tiene un montón de detalles acerca de las costumbres de los vikingos
Lucinda
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Furiously fast paced and action-packed, this gloriously rich sweeping saga is a breathtaking masterwork!

From bestselling author of ‘RAVEN saga’ comes a startlingly compelling new Viking novel, wrought with fervent intensity and evocative atmospheric ambience. The hugely compelling tale interweaves superbly captured brutality and the power of bloodthirsty Norse battles, in all its gritty rawness and bone-shattering substance. Lavishly drawn from detailed descriptions of the blood-curdling, reali
Mark Halse
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was dying to read this book. As an American, I've waited so long for this book to be released in the states. It just never came. This past Christmas I finally bought a paperback copy straight from the UK which took a month to arrive. A week later they released it on kindle...

But I digress. This book was great. A little muddled at times but generally what I expected from the origin story of Sigurd the Lucky. This book is centered around the most sacred aspect of Norse culture, THE BLOOD FUED.
Nick_britten
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
igurd, son of Harald is keen to make his name in battle. As a son of a Jarl he knows he must forge his own path if he is to emerge from his fathers shadow and weave his own name into the sagas.

His opportunity comes quicker than he expects when his father is betrayed by his King and a powerful Jarl. With his home destroyed, his family slaughtered and his sister captured by his enemies, Sigurd must flee for his life.

With just a few trusted friends, Sigurd roams the seas as an outlaw, hunted by his
Jim
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
My sea chest has been pack away for far to long,and it`s great to be back with Sigurd and the boy`s in the shield wall.After a little diviersion into the English Civil War,which i hope it will not be to long before he returns to in the future,Giles is back to were his heart is,the world of the Vikings,to tell the tale of the origins of Sigurd and his fellowship.The difference with God of Vengeance compared to the Raven books is that for me Giles,after five books has grown into a even better writ ...more
David
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are drinking, cursing, farting, and fighting Vikings your thing? If so, God Of Vengeance is for you. I am giving the first book of the Rise of Sigurd series an enthusiastic 3.75 stars. I will be continuing the series to see what else Sigurd has to offer. Overall, the plot of GoV is rather thin to be honest. Sigurd isn't even an exceptionally likable character. So why an enthusiastic 3.75 stars? Well its all about the writing. Simply put, the battle scenes are some of the best I've read. They are ...more
Eloise
Pacey and driven, although sometimes it felt like the narrative was driven more by the need to put the band back together than the revenge plot, but it's one of my favourite bands so I shan't complain too much.
The pages drip with as much mise-en-scene as blood, the character work feels rooted in time and place; even the bit parts feel like they could have off-page inner lives of their own. I'm looking forward to more of Sigurd's Saga.
Ros Burrage
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought
absolutely brilliantly written! I love these sagas. I'm always sad when they end. It was great to find out how Sigurd's wyrd started, even if it was saturated in sorrow. I'm hoping there will be more sagas to come??
Laurie Pringle
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I thought I might feel less attached - but this book increased my attachment to the characters and adventures of Jarl Sigurd and all those sworn to him.
James Cox
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Viking perfection! What a read. Really, really enjoyed the characters and the action. The plot was fantastic. I want the sequel. Now. But I am a greedy bastard. lol.
Swords & Spectres
Originally reviewed at www.swordsandspectres.wordpress.com

God of Vengeance, quite possibly, is the best book I've picked up up all year. Normally, the whole vengeance plot feels kind of dull to me. But this one is anything but. The author has created a rich cast of characters from the unfortunate, and hate-fuelled Sigurd to his ever-present, ever-boastful, friend Svein. My personal favourite being the grizzled, wily  veteran Olaf, Sigurd's father's (Jarl Harald) chosen warrior.

The writing is i
Wortmagie
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, review

„Götter der Rache“ von Giles Kristian habe ich beim Bloggerportal von Random House angefragt, weil die Lektüre ein neuer, weiterer Versuch mit einem historischen Roman sein sollte. Bisher habe ich weder den richtigen Zeitabschnitt noch die richtige Region für mich gefunden, obwohl dieses Genre unheimlich vielfältig ist. Da ich die Kultur der Wikinger faszinierend finde und darüber hinaus ein riesiger Fan der Serie „Vikings“ bin, beschloss ich, es darauf ankommen zu lassen und es mit „Götter d
Mieneke
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vikings! While Giles Kristian first reached my radar with his Viking novels, the first of his works I actually read was his Civil War novel The Bleeding Land . This book, chronicling the fate of the Rivers family during the Civil War completely blew me away, as did its sequel Brothers' Fury –in fact, I'm still hoping for a third instalment. However, when God of Vengeance was announced as a new Viking novel and a prequel to Kristian's Raven series I was equally stoked, because I'd finally get t ...more
Hollie
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of action! Was like rejoining old friends since I read the Raven series first. This book really gets the reader into the story...felt like I was there with them.

On to the next in the series and very much looking forward to it as I had unanswered questions in Raven that I hope to find answers with Sigurd.

The covers of these books are awesome!
I prefer reading paper and proudly displaying great stories such as these.
Anna Bowe
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping, dirty, pacey, with a lust for a life lived on a wave of revenge.
This Viking saga was very enjoyable, written with humour, warmth and engaging descriptions.
Excellent.
Eric
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll review the series when I finish it. Onto book 2, Winter's Fire (The Rise of Sigurd, #2) by Giles Kristian Winter's Fire.
Artemiz
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
God of Vengeance by Giles Kristian is a bloody story about a young boy, who's father and brothers are killed in front of him, since king and another Jarl have made a deal to destroy Jarl Harald. Sigurd escapes others faith thanks to his brother, who attack king and gets all the attention of their attackers.

Sigurs is only seventeen and he's fathers settlement is almost destroyed and only few settlers are still there and alive. His mother is killed, his sister is taken to Jarl Randver. Sigurd has
S.J.A. Turney
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remember Raven? Well you should do! Giles Kristian’s debut book and the series that followed were ground-breaking for me, being the first Viking novels I had read. They had all the action, excitement and fur-wrapped adventure – with frozen snot in your beard – as a reader could hope.

Then Giles stopped (or more accurately paused) the Viking writing to delve into the world of the English Civil War with The Bleeding Land, which was one of the deepest, most harrowing pieces of historical fiction I e
Robin Carter
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Review

Fans of the hit “Raven” series, great news the Vikings are back, only this isn’t the Sigurd we know from the fantastic Raven Series. God of Vengeance begins a prequel series for Sigurd, his early years, how he became who he is and what molded him into the fearsome and Odin favoured warrior that he is. Its an introduction into some of the key characters such as Black Floki and Bear, and oh what an introduction.

Sigurd very quickly goes from the son of
Mirella
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in 8th century Norway, this new Viking tale by bestselling author, Giles Christian, is a wild ride of bloody fights, battles, and aggression, clearly portraying the violence of the medieval Scandinavia era. Full of unusual events and deaths, this is a story that will hold your interest from its gripping beginning to its startling end. Fast paced, this story of a blood feud is filled with fascinating, realistic characters whose dialogue is rich and crude, sarcastic and funny. My favourite bes ...more
Ancient & Medieva...: July 2017 God of Vengeance by Giles Kristian 30 72 Oct 04, 2017 12:16PM
  • The Prow Beast (Oathsworn, #4)
  • The Ill-Made Knight (Chivalry, #1)
  • The Serpent Sword (Bernicia Chronicles #1)
  • Blood Will Follow (The Valhalla Saga, #2)
  • Shieldwall
  • Fate's Needle (Ulfrik Ormsson's Saga #1)
  • Hereward (Hereward, #1)
  • The Norseman (The Norseman Chronicles, #1)
  • The Golden Horn (Last Viking, #1)
  • The Iron Castle (Outlaw Chronicles, #6)
  • Imperial Fire
  • The Eagle's Vengeance (Empire, #6)
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • Eagles at War (Eagles of Rome, #1)
Family history (he is half Norwegian) inspired GILES KRISTIAN to write his first historical novels: the acclaimed and bestselling Raven Viking trilogy – Blood Eye, Sons of Thunder and Odin's Wolves. For his next series, he drew on a long-held fascination with the English Civil War to chart the fortunes of a family divided by that brutal conflict in The Bleeding Land and Brothers’ Fury. Giles also ...more

The Rise of Sigurd (3 books)
  • Winter's Fire (The Rise of Sigurd, #2)
  • Wings of the Storm (The Rise of Sigurd, #3)
“Sword and shield, flesh and bone, I am your man, Sigurd Haraldarson. As long as the sun shines and the world endures, henceforth and for evermore.” 4 likes
“Even war gods fear their wives, then, Sigurd reflected sourly. 'She is already warping my ear for taking three sons into the same fight,' Harald went on. 'If I took you too she would make what you did to Olaf look like a kiss on the cheek.' He frowned. 'Look now! Her eyes are into us like cat's claws.” 1 likes