Start by marking “Two Fridays in April” as Want to Read:

Two Fridays in April

Reading Roisin Meaney's novels is like 'sitting down with a good friend over a cup of tea' (Irish Mail on Sunday)

It's Una Darling's seventeenth birthday, but nobody feels much like celebrating. It's been exactly a year since the tragic death of her father Finn, and the people he left behind have been doing their best to get on with things. But it hasn't been easy.

Daphne is
Published October 27th 2015 by Hachette Ireland (first published March 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Two Fridays in April, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Fridays in April

Start your review of Two Fridays in April
Malia
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
I have read every one of Roisin Meaney's books to my knowledge and enjoyed them all. "Two Fridays in April" was no exception. Meaney's style is so readable, her characters real, warm, flawed and well developed and the story flows along at a pace that I am always sucked in from page one. Can't wait for the next book, which, as luck would have it, is out in a few weeks!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Dale Harcombe
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One Friday in April, Daphne’s husband Finn is killed coming home with his daughter’s birthday present. A year later and it is Daphne’s stepdaughter’s birthday but also the first anniversary of Finn’s death. How is it possible to celebrate Una’s birthday when Una, Daphne and Mo, Finn’s mother are all still grieving? But they attempt to. Except plans do not work out at all as Daphne expects. This is a story of loss and grief, guilt and forgiveness, love and family, told from four points of view. T ...more
Steph
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once started I devoured this book and couldn't put it down.
A really enjoyable drama with lots going on with each character separated and together.
Really liked the way you got the story from the 4 main characters own perspectives, Daphne, Isobel, Mo and Una, all suffering in their own way with the loss of Finn a year ago.
Some little twists and turns thrown in there and you have a great wee read.
Obsidian
I was surprised to find this book just okay. It's not bad or anything, I just didn't find it very gripping considering the subject matter. I think Meaney has done a better job of showcasing the same characters over a period of days/week before (see "Last Week of May"). I think the main issue is that we shuffle between four characters, then we get the stories broken into duos, and then we revisit the same characters more than a year later and though one character goes through something life chang ...more
Kobby Gyampoh
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Also available on http://chicklitpad.blogspot.co.uk

MY SYNOPSIS

Imagine This: Your husband died on his daughters’ birthday. He was getting back from his way to pick up a present for her. And well, he died.

Now a exactly a year later, you all are not looking forward to celebrating a birthday. Because that would mean celebrating his one-year anniversary. You are not meant to celebrate his anniversary. You are still mourning. He wasn’t meant to die, how can fate be so cruel?

Apparently, you are not th
Sharon Dinsmore
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love her books and this one did not disappoint. Her characters are all likeable in their own way & their stories immensely realistic and poignant. On to the next RM on my list!
Mary
May 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish-chic-lit
Loved every page
The Reading Panda
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best novels I have read in 2017. Roisin Meaney has become one of my favorite Irish authors. Her characterization is impeccable, her writing is beautiful, and her plot is addictive. Every time I had to stop reading, my hands were itching to get back to the novel.

You have two main characters, Daphne and Una. There are also two secondary characters, Isobel and Mo. This is where Meaney shines. All of the characters were extremely flawed, but extremely lovable as well. Daphne cloc
Amanda
Review also posted on my blog here: http://www.gobookyourself.info/2015/0...

Thanks to Hachette Ireland for the review copy

Roisin does it again! Another brilliant read full of wonderful characters!

Two Fridays In the same month. but what a difference a year can make.

It's the second of April and its Una's birthday but no one feels like celebrating. Why? Because its also a year to the day since Una's dad was knocked from his bike and killed.

Since then nothings been the same. A rift has been create
Jessica
Mary Geraghty
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a difference a year makes

I loved the timelines in the book. It was really poignant, yet full of hope. It was really interesting to see the connections with the characters. Another great read.😃
Josett Rockwood-Solano
Engaging and varied characters

A little slow in the beginning but I enjoyed that the perspective of each of the four major characters was presented. Each of the characters were multidimensional and experienced growth .
Mary Payne
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two Fridays in April

A very enjoyable book dealing with events and relationships in family members and how complicated they can become. Many coincidences affect these relationships but all is well in the end
Martha Reynolds
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Winner from Roisin Meaney!

Who’s one of my favorite authors? This one. Such a pleasant experience to read any of Meaney’s books. Well-crafted tales with true-to-life characters. Each book a gem.
Jane Dicker
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely lovely

Another fan read from Roisin. Believable and likeable characters and storylines. Loved it. Can't wait to choose the next read.
Sheryl Maree Akintola
A surprisingly beautiful story

Beautifully written, this is a sad story that rises to an extremely happy ending - I thoroughly enjoyed the journey!
Michelle
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought the beginning was slow. Never expected the middle part. Ending seemed quick.
Theresa Radiguet
Good read

The book was good, abit slow but I got in to it eventually. I would try another by the author.
Bjorg Hreinsdottir
An ok book, nothing special at first but got better towards the end.
Ewen Kelly
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Enjoyed this book a lot read it on holiday would recommend it to others not my usual type of book nice change
Ann McNickle
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Great characters. I love Roisin 's books ...more
Eline Walker
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very relatable characters

Easy to read lovely story and cleverly woven together a great book. Will be looking for more books by this author .
Shone Gibbs
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good
anita nelder
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Emotional travel of family following grief. Good one for the holiday read or curled up in bed. The love and lose of a son, husband and father.
Sandi Polidori
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read!

I love all of her books. Wonderful stories and great character development. When I finish one of her nooks, I feel like I am leaving good friends
Nothingtoread
Sweet but forgettable. Probably 350 pages were not needed to tell this story. Nothing happens in the last third.
Kim Solleder
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow Roisin Meaney, you have done it again, a wonderful read thoroughly enjoyed, you are one of my favourite writers, I love your storytelling, please give me more :)
Caroline
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming story with a fresh plot line, very well crafted. I’ve read much of this author’s work and this is one of her best, in my opinion.
Soph Brown
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really emotive beginning and ending little bit flat in the middle but worth sticking with.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 26, 2015 01:32PM

• Other Women
  • To Love and Be Loved
  • Three Weddings and a Proposal
  • The Summer We Were Friends
  • The Women Who Ran Away
  • The Woman in the Middle
  • The Moon Over Kilmore Quay: An absolutely gripping emotional page-turner with a heartbreaking twist
  • The Summer Visitors
  • Francesca's Party
  • Life's What You Make It
  • Friends Like Us
  • Coming Home to Inishbeg Cove (Inishbeg Cove #2)
  • Waiting to Begin
  • Life After You
  • A Cornish Summer
  • Orange Blossom Days
  • The Marriage Lie
  • Her Husband's Mistake
Born on 3rd September.
A published author of eighteen books for adults and three for children, Roisin worked as an advertising copywriter for a number of years, and brings a vast amount of experience to the editing team. Her first novel, The Daisy Picker, won a Write a Bestseller competition. Her third novel, The Last Week of May reached number one on the Irish bestseller list and her fourth, The P

News & Interviews

The term “microhistory” is a relatively new designation that refers to nonfiction history books that focus in on a single event, person, or...