Start by marking “Work. Pump. Repeat.: The New Mom's Survival Guide to Breastfeeding and Going Back to Work” as Want to Read:

The practical, relatable, and humorous guide to surviving the difficult, awkward, and rewarding job of being a breastfeeding, working mom.

Meet the frenemy of every working, breastfeeding mother: the breast pump. Many women are beyond “breast is best” and on to figuring out how to make milk while returning to demanding jobs. Wor
Published September 8th 2015 by Harry N. Abrams

Start your review of Work. Pump. Repeat.: The New Mom's Survival Guide to Breastfeeding and Going Back to Work
Mairead
Takeaways:
* So much practical advice for parts, goals, storage, practice runs, backup shirts and parts at work, flying with baby -- just amazing and relevant and straight forward and supportive all around. Refer back to it and kindle highlights!
* do NOT apologize.
* try to feed milk cold from the fridge #shamgoals
* be alert for over feeding
* get a ziplock bag stash going at work and in my bags
* "If someone is not getting the hint and keeps asking where I’m going, so
Katie Geiken
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This book was just what I was looking for. The perfect combination of advice and peptalk. 50 blogs about breast-feeding and going back to work all rolled into one book.
Allie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent. A must read for breastfeeding moms going back to work. So much valuable advice and encouragement.
Meredith
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a guide for new mothers who wish to continue breastfeeding and, therefore, must pump after returning to work.

I read this book because I wanted to feel a little solidarity, and I was curious if there were any tips or tricks I hadn't heard before even though this was not my first rodeo. I did find out a few new things. I learned that one is not supposed to shake breastmilk or combine milk at two different temperatures. I have always shaken bottles to mix the separated milk and
Savannah
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brb, buying a copy of this for every single new working mom i know
Deana
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book after I had already been back at work (and pumping there) for a few weeks. It was mentioned by one of the ladies in my mom's group, though she hadn't read it but was asking if anyone had. I pretty much immediately purchased it on kindle and read it at night while nursing the baby.

Do I wish I'd had it sooner? Well, I don't think there was anything in here that is absolutely necessary knowledge for someone in my position. My job is pretty great when it comes to nu
Lindsey Gilger
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This would have been 5 stars if I've never used a pump before. However, I've been pumping for a few weeks now so some of the information was irrelevant to me. However, I loved the overall tone to the book. As a FTM I am constantly questioning myself and my choices. I google more often than I should and generally doubt myself everyday. I love that she let all moms know they are bad asses and the choices each mother makes is for the good of their baby.
Definitely a great book for FTM. Just skip ov
Elizabeth
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a helpful book mostly for those moms who never had to pump before. For me, I found it a bit redundant since I was exclusively pumping from the start due to latch issues. However, it did give me some good ideas for when I returned to work and how to manage my pumping schedule. It's a good read for new mom's who have to return to work who are nursing.
Margaret Heller
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'd already pumped for a year for one kid before reading this, but I still got a lot of great ideas and encouragement as I prepare to do this again for my second child. Such a positive and realistic attitude that is hard to find in anything about breastfeeding while working.
Alexis D Proper
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource

I love the practical advice for pumping at work and how she wants what is best for me - no judgements.

Amanda
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Helpful, quick read that I hope prepared me well for my return to work.
Kiersten
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very fun to read...written with a brutally honest tone, dry humor, and practical tips
Desiree
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for first time mother's who are getting ready to go back into the workplace and still want to give their baby all the great benefits of breast milk. After reading through this, I've come to realize how truly blessed I am to have an employer who supports working mom's because not every employer does. This book will help you prepare for those situations and help you to expect the unexpected. And remember, your worth is not measured in ounces.
Caitie Milcinovic
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So practical and also laugh-out-loud, heartwarmingly funny. Can't believe this is practically the only resource out there on this topic! At the very least, read the last page for a big pep talk / mood booster.
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby
I appreciated this book a lot--very practical and non-judgy. Makes up for what is lacking in other "comprehensive" breastfeeding books that give working moms one short chapter or induce guilt. This does not go into specifics of the mechanics of breastfeeding so is a good supplement for other information about that--it is much more about the logistics of pumping, dealing with workplace issues, maintaining supply, things like that.
Kate Caldwell
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was really helpful to read as I slowly come to terms with going back to work and wanting to continue to breastfeed my baby. It's harsh at times but I think the tough love and honesty is a good reality check on tackling something that I'm guessing won't be easy or fun. I appreciated how supportive and nonjudgmental the tone is and definitely recommend it!
Erica
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just what a working mom needs
Melissa
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
This book was exactly what I needed! Jessica Shortall is honest, down to earth, supportive of any decisions moms may make, and at times hilarious to boot! I picked up this book just a short week before returning to work, and wish I'd had the time to finish it prior but this definitely helped me get through these first few weeks of pumping and working! It was chock full of helpful tips - from how to talk to your boss and others about getting pumping time and space (which really empowered me when ...more
Melissa
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced reader copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Having breastfed/pumped for a grand total of 5 babies (one set of twins) for three years and five months, I was really excited about a helpful book that really gives the scoop on pumping. I had to teach myself nearly everything about pumping at work by scouring the internet (kellymom and Babycenter were great), and I wish I had thought of writing this book myself! Hospitals, even those with lactation c
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was really nervous about going back to work and pumping. This book was a great read for reducing anxiety and helping you make a plan. Thank you Jessica Shortall, for a well written, informative book on this crazy journey of going back to work and pumping!
Kirsten
WHERE WAS THIS SIX MONTHS AGO?

Seriously, THIS is the book I was looking for during the last months of my pregnancy, and it didn't exist then. I eventually found all the information herein, but I had to hang out in several different online communities to piece it all together. God bless Shortall. She skips over all the stuff you already know, or probably read about in the six other breastfeeding guides you bought: the benefits, the different positions, how to assess a latch, etc. -- a
Angelita
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
I thought this book was helpful, even though I was already back at work when I started reading it. There were tips and tricks that I hadn't been told or shown before hand. It also helped give me some confidence in the fact that sometimes there were going to be bumps in the road, even if you have been breastfeeding and pumping for a few months. Also, when it came to supplementing, I am glad this topic was brought up. Many mothers and organizations push for exclusive breastfeeding, that some mothe ...more
Maddy
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
School officially started for both Colton and me this week, and it was a doozy. Obviously I couldn't have gotten through it without @coltonwb and @willkristinwu, but the necessary support that surprised me was this book. I'm trying to pump breastmilk for Sloane while I'm working, and it's been a challenge already. I have LOVED nursing her this summer and I want to keep it up as long as I am able. This book has addressed every single one of the challenges I came across this week. It gave me the l ...more
Olivia
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Really? A whole book about pumping at work? Yes!

This book made me feel incredibly lucky (we had to figure out pumping and bottles right off the bat due to some initial nursing issues, so I didn't need that primer, and my work is incredibly supportive of breastfeeding), and I still found tons of practical advice. Better flanges, handling work trips, doing a dry run before returning to work.

I also really enjoyed the author's tone. She writes the way many of my best girlfriends talk--friendly, ca
Grace
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was what I needed. I start work in a week and a half, and I feel so much more confident after reading this. It is truly a cheerleader book. Even the end talks about Mom Guilt, and how sometimes women are shamed about pumping, going back to work, not breastfeeding, or many other options. The author repeatedly says how we are awesome moms, if we pump for 2 days or 2 years! I feel confident that I can pump as long as I need to. When I am time to be done, I will decide for me and try not t ...more
Shira
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wish I had read this before having my baby, or at least before returning to work! Jessica Shortall doesn't hold back in this book. Hopefully most of us won't have to pump in some of the locations that she has, but many of the other pitfalls mentioned in the book are very spot on. From spilling my milk, getting walked in on, and having my caregiver feed my baby right before I got home, everything is in here. I highly recommend this book to all moms, regardless of whether or not you are planning ...more
Mary
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely, affirming, encouraging book--easy to read and loaded with tips and tricks to help merge the seemingly incompatible worlds of working and mothering. The librarian in me wishes there were a bit more research and data included to ground it but that's not the type of book this is, and that's ok. It was an incredibly helpful book for me to read as I stare down the end of my maternity leave in the not-too-distant future.
Courtney
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a truth-train, badass pep talk mixed with the inspirational zest of "All the Places You'll Go." The advice, honesty and reminder that we join the tribe of pumping moms is a beautiful thing. Required reading for moms who plan to pump after returning to work. “You’re a warrior. You’re a badass. You’re a working mother, and that’s an amazing thing.”
Debby
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a quick, helpful read. It was supportive of all breastfeeding styles without being judgmental and felt like it was written by a friend. I'd recommend it for working nursing moms and will pass it on to a pregnant friend. It seems intended for a more structured workplace than mine, but I am lucky. It's great for giving me a place to start for something I was totally clueless about.
Dani
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
To be fair, I did not read this cover to cover but what I did read, I enjoyed. I think had I found it a bit earlier in my breastfeeding journey, I would have enjoyed it more. I've been blessed with a supportive work environment so I didn't need the advice found within as much as other moms might but it was still nice to feel supported.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Fifth Trimester: The Working Mom's Guide to Style, Sanity, and Big Success After Baby
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
  • The Sh!t No One Tells You: A Guide to Surviving Your Baby's First Year
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • Precious Little Sleep
  • Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions, and Restoring Your Vitality
  • Baby-Led Feeding: A Natural Way to Raise Happy, Independent Eaters
  • How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids
  • The Happy Sleeper: The Science-Backed Guide to Helping Your Baby Get a Good Night's Sleep-Newborn to School Age
  • Cherish the First Six Weeks: A Plan that Creates Calm, Confident Parents and a Happy, Secure Baby
  • Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old: A Step-By-Step Plan for Baby Sleep Success
  • Like a Mother: A Feminist Journey Through the Science and Culture of Pregnancy
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
Jessica Shortall is a thirty-something working mother of two, with a career dedicated to the intersection of business and doing good. For five years, she was the first Director of Giving for TOMS Shoes, a job that had her literally circumnavigating the globe with a breast pump.

Jessica started her adult life as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Uzbekistan (more vodka drinking than you would ex
“Guilt is a response to what you think you’ve done wrong. Shame is feeling that who you are is wrong.” 3 likes
“Breastfeeding your baby is fleeting, and while it’s important to you, so is continuing to provide for your family and having a fulfilling work life.” 1 likes