Start by marking “Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song” as Want to Read:
Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song

Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song

A candid and down-to-earth collection of essays by five-time, Grammy Award nominated singer-songwriter Sara Bareilles, exploring her life in song; raw, evocative, and utterly unforgettable.

Sara Bareilles shot to fame in 2007 with her hit single; Love Song, and her more recent chart-topping hit; Brave, but her journal as a songwriter started long before. In this candid book
Published October 6th 2015 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Sounds Like Me, please sign up.
Ashley V You asked this awhile ago, but in case you haven't found your answer or other people are wondering, if people are reviewing prior to a book's official…moreYou asked this awhile ago, but in case you haven't found your answer or other people are wondering, if people are reviewing prior to a book's official publication, it's most likely that they have received an advance reading copy. Publishers will often send these out to bloggers and booksellers to read and review in advance of the book's publication to help generate buzz.(less)

Lola
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
There is quite a lot of singing in this audiobook. Thank goodness Sara has a lovely voice. This is an unconventional memoir, because although Sara does talk about growing up, her failures and successes, it is very heavy on music as main theme, with Sara explaining how she came to write some of her most well-known songs and those important to her. Seeing that I'm not a ''fan'' of this singer per se, although I do think she is talented for sure, I did not care as much about the history of her song ...more
Shannon (leaninglights)
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4.5 stars.

This was a great memoir. If you are a fan of Sara, this book is a gem.

I remember when I got Sarah's album "Little Voice" in my sophomore year of college. I was transformed, moved and inspired. Sara was one of my first delves into the world of indie-pop-folk singer-songwriters. She was definitely one of the first females I listened to from this genre. I connected with her music on a molecular level and I belted out her songs in my car with passion and fervor.

Sounds Like Me
Joe
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How do you hype your favorite media (be it book, band, TV show, movie or whatever)? Do you shout from the mountain tops to all who will listen? Do you seek out a sympathetic friend or loved-one and beg their indulgence? Or perhaps it's enough to display your fandom through memorabilia or casual reference; give others the option to unleash your enthusiasm.

My chosen hype-method is a a book review; my subject is Sara Bareilles. Sara is a musical artist who found mainstream success years ago (you ma
Rose
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took me way too long to read this book (but you know what, I can take comfort in the fact that it took Sara several years to write eight essays and only several days for me to read this one because of having a major case of epic book hopping syndrome).

I really enjoyed it - Sara has such a distinct voice, both in her writing and her music. This was a great insight into her life and work, albeit brief. Also, has a great introduction by Ben Folds.

Full review to come. Probably rating this one ar
Julie Ehlers
I bought this in the bookstore on a kind of whim--I always expected I would read it at some point, but not necessarily this soon. Immediately there was some sort of voice in my head saying, "Patti Smith and Carrie Brownstein both put out music memoirs this fall, and you bought Sara Bareilles's memoir instead???" I have no idea who this snobby voice belonged to and it was extremely irritating. Besides, I like Sara Bareilles. I like her music, I think she's very talented, and I appreciate that she ...more
Kimberly Russell
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, non-fiction
I've walked away from this book an even bigger fan than before. Absolutely loved it.
Lianna
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, memoirs
** A Copy of Sounds Like Me was provided by Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review **

I’ve been a fan of Sara Bareilles for years, probably since I first heard Love Song but certainly after I got my hands on a copy of her debut album. Sara instantly rocketed to my top five favorite singer/songwriters because she so easily embodied what I love best about music (and what I feel the deepest connection to) and that’s the ability find a complete understanding, a sense of belongin
Becca
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
With the exception of her anthemic “Brave," I’ve not heard much of Sara Bareilles’ music, so I wasn’t sure whether this autobiography would appeal to me. BUT, I was pleasantly surprised. Bareilles writes from deep in her heart. Her vulnerability makes her likable and relatable, even to someone like me who is old enough to be her mother.

The book is part confession, part advice, part story-telling, part tell-all about the pop music business. It’s structured in the form of eight essays, the subjec
ChapterOne
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So I had gotten this song called "Gonna get over you" by Sara Bareilles on iTunes a few years ago. I have played that song to death on my phone. Still love it. I didn't even know she'd written a book. I love her song Brave too. And how had I never heard Gravity?? She starts each chapter with a song. And of course I started each chapter by listening to the songs on YouTube. I love how she's stayed true to who she is - a singer song writer, not a glittery pop star.
Hurricanekerrie
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The best thing about this book is that because it sounds like you're talking to an old friend over coffee (or whisky, no judgments here), it never sounds preachy. Instead, Sara Bareilles tells you about her very personal experiences that end up resonating with the reader because human experiences are both unique and all-encompassing like that. It's comforting to know that these people who inspire us are really just like us, who feel our same pain and dread our same fears. Behind the glittery fac ...more
Janine Slayton
I loved this book, and I love this woman. Like, for real.

Sounds Like Me somehow caught me completely unaware. I knew about the book, knew I wanted to read it, but had NO IDEA how much it would mean to me when I did. I've been on a bit of an autobiography kick lately for whatever reason, and I've honestly enjoyed the others as well. But Bareilles is in a league of her own as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, I'm having a hard time articulating just why this book affected me so much. I've bee
Jeanne
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! I listened to the audiobook version, which is read by Sarah herself (as well as a few other people reading their contributions to the book, including Ben Fold reading his forewords). I love when author's narrate their own audiobooks, but with this book it feels essential to understanding Sarah's work and the often intangible magic of music.

This book is a collection of essays, each tied to one of Sarah's songs. She sings each song, a cappella, before each essay. That is such a treat,
Sonja
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. I felt like it was a lot more personal than some other autobiographies I've read recently, and I enjoyed getting a glimpse into Sara's mind. I've adored her work for years, from her pop music to Waitress, and it was great reading more about it. I also loved the guest chapters that gave a little bit of an outside perspective on her, particularly the one that Jack Antonoff wrote. I just love Sara Bareilles a whole lot.
Alexa
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I absolutely adore Sara Bareilles. These essays she wrote and shared with the world made me love her even more. It's always so cool to be able to have such a pleasurable experience learning more about someone I admire, and it's also managed to inspire me in ways I didn't expect. Thank you for sharing your stories, Sara.
Peach
2.5

Honestly, this was unnecessary.

I don't read too many memoirs. I used to obsessively read the autobiographies of rockstars and Riot Grrrls (i.e. Cherie Currie, Scott Weiland), but after awhile those stories bored me. They were filled with the same clichés. Bashing others. Unsold records. Heartbreak. Some still are. And to an extent, Sara's is.

Sara Barielles is a musician. Obviously. Her biggest hit to-date is "Love Song", which originated because her record label asked her to write a love so
Angie
Jan 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't know.. I just didn't get what a lot of other reviewers got from this book. It was meh to me. I'm not a super fan of Bareilles, I do like her music though. Someone loaned this book to me thinking it would be something I liked. It wasn't a bad book just a book where I was like... who cares. We learn about Sara's life. Growing up, her body image, how she ended up being a song writer. But I didn't feel like I took anything from this book. I didn't find it funny or inspiring. Just a story abo ...more
Josh Castleberry
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and introspective, this book made me feel warm and inspired. I've always loved Sara's music, but I now find an even bigger place for it in my heart. Little Voice, an album I didn't listen to as much as Kaleidoscope Heart (my favorite) or The Blessed Unrest, now speaks to me in a way it hadn't before. I spent the time reading this book also listening to her music and finding new ways to fall in love with it. Especially Gravity. It's incredible that she wrote such a beautiful song at 19 ...more
Christa Harmon
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I finished this in the span of two hours because I was so enthralled by Sara Bareilles. I've been listening to her music for years, and if I felt like some of her songs were part of the general soundtrack for my life before, it's even more true now.

There is so much truth and authenticity in these essays, so much vulnerability and relatable heartbreak. It's amazing to feel like you can see inside the world of someone who is so publicly accessible, even if she's still a total strangers.

Though ther
Ley
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
“Things evolve into other things. Emotions do the same. Forever. Your best ally in all of these shifting seas is your faith in the fact that you are exactly where you are supposed to be. Stay put. Stay soft. Stay gentle and kind. Listen to your instincts. Meditate. Pray. Laugh as much as humanly possible. Pain is okay too. Say thank you for all of it."
Jenni
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
Oh wow - I loved this audio book. I have always liked Sara Bareilles, but now I'm a little obsessed with her. This memoir is suprisingly honest and real, yet also humorous and insightful. Her narration adds so much to the telling, and she even sings before every chapter. I absolutely devoured it.
Kayla
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for any Sara fans! I loved learning the stories behind some of her songs, knowing she has struggled with her image too, and all through her witty, loveable way! :) She'll always be one of my favorites.
Kristy
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favorite musician and this is an amazing book. I didn't think I could love her any more but after reading this I feel even more connected to the beautiful music she makes!!
Robin
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-bio-rock
Bareilles joins the ranks of young female celebrities who have penned a collection of candid essays about their lives so far. Each chapter is headlined by a song she's written and goes on to describe the creation of the song along with honest (and sometimes humorous) discussion about what was going on in her life at the time. Since I read this in preparation in seeing her star in Waitress, the Broadway show for which she wrote the songs, that particular chapter was the most interesting.

This is
Karen Foster
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Super fast audiobook listen.... I loved how each chapter started with an a-cappella version of one of her songs, relating to the life stories she tells. I really love her song writing, but the memoir itself was a little safe...it was heartfelt and charming, just not super memorable.
Simone
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
🌟🌟🌟🌟 4 stars

✔ a book based on a real person

This was like a cosy and comforting hug in book form. Sara is incredibly talented and hard working. The essays were enlightening and encouraging, although a bit of a mellow read (I had just read Rose’s contentious memoir 😂)
Such beautiful design though (typesetting, stock, art direction 🙌🏼)
Dave
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Disclaimer: Sara is my favorite musician - past or present. She could rewrite the phone book and sing it, and she would already have three stars from me. So, it should be no surprise that this book earned one of my coveted five star reviews. So, the reader of this review may surmise that it is biased, lacking the impartiality of a fan. Maybe, maybe not. But, read to the end and be the judge for yourself.

My first experience with Sara's music was similar to Ben's, except I didn't use my CD to hold
Katie
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Sara,

Thank you for sharing so much of yourself. Thank you for the laughs and the tears and the stories that made me feel like someone else understands and I'm not alone. Thank you for the inspiration you give us, not just through this book, but through your music. You are magnificent and beautiful.

Love,
Katie
Maria
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On my second re-read in which I listened to the audio book, my only complaint is that it's not enough.

Having read it, I got the sense that Sara is a warm, caring and sweet person while the audio presents those same facets, it also showcased her love of the people she writes about, her humor, her charm, and her geekiness which has completely not only enraptured me but has made me a true fan of Sara's.

Thanks to MayginReads for letting me know that the audio was worth the listen - because it is. Be
Maggie BB
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, audiobooks
If I am being honest, this was probably a 4 star book normally... but as an audiobook, being listened to by a Sara Bareilles fan? Totally 5 stars. I would definitely put this in the category of "Should definitely pick audiobook over traditional book"... because otherwise you miss out on her singing at the top of every chapter. Also her adorable voices.

A collection of personal essays more than a true memoir, this book is full of stark honesty - which is what I am here for. I found some of what th
Steph Dressler
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Genuine, Heartfelt, Relatable. If you love Sara B you’ll love it.
  • Never Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story
  • Scrappy Little Nobody
  • You Don't Have to Like Me: Essays on Growing Up, Speaking Out, and Finding Feminism
  • Normally, This Would be Cause for Concern: Tales of Calamity and Unrelenting Awkwardness
  • Where Am I Now?
  • She Bop: The Definitive History of Women in Rock, Pop & Soul
  • Fight Back With Joy: Celebrate More. Regret Less. Stare Down Your Greatest Fears
  • Listen to Your Mother: What She Said Then, What We're Saying Now
  • Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation
  • Ladies of the Field: Early Women Archaeologists and Their Search for Adventure
  • Party of One: A Memoir in 21 Songs
  • Stripping Down: A Memoir
  • Ender's Game Alive: The Full Cast Audioplay
  • Charlotte Au Chocolat: Memories of a Restaurant Girlhood
  • The Things That Matter
  • Comradely Greetings: The Prison Letters of Nadya and Slavoj
  • It's Kind Of A Cute Story
Sara Beth Bareilles is an American singer-songwriter and musician. She achieved mainstream success in 2007 with the hit single "Love Song", which reached number four on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Bareilles has sold over one million records and over four million singles in the United States alone and has been nominated for a Grammy Award five times as well as earning a nomination for a Grammy Awar
“You are overwhelmed and haven’t learned to be your own friend through this yet. You will. Your fear of jumping without a net is so valid, and the trick that you haven’t learned yet is that that’s life, always and everywhere. There are no nets. Life is a big, long free fall, and the sooner you can embrace what is beautiful about that, the sooner you will start to enjoy the ride.” 36 likes
“...time did what it always does: softened the hard edges” 18 likes