Start by marking “Best Foot Forward” as Want to Read:
Best Foot Forward

Best Foot Forward

After one bad experience, Iowa high school senior, triathlete, and fangirl Lucia “Luc” Guzman swore off relationships. Well, that was until Connor Kohlton and his southern accent moved to town. With the help of her childhood best friend, Jax Weber, she discovers her “college only” dating rule may be causing her to miss out on a great guy. Luc's parents have always taught h ...more
Kindle Edition
Published May 1st 2015 by Autumn Arch Publishing (first published April 30th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Best Foot Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Foot Forward

This books
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Jolene Buchheit and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Best Foot Forward is a modern young adult romance, with some drama and mystery to keep you gripped.

Lucia aka Luc is a quiet, book geek. She doesn't care what other people think of her. She also takes things in her stride.

Conner, the hot cowboy. Who takes a liking to Lucia but he's scared to get close her. The only downside to Connor, I felt like there was so much more of him we didn't get to see.

Great writing,
Samthefangirl
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It is a sweet, clean (very appropriate for a young adult audience) story with a host of likeable characters and a super cute book boyfriend. Also loved the fangirl references throughout the story. Very interested to see what this author writes next. Highly recommend to teens and adults alike.
Hayley Guertin
Best Foot Forward was awesome! Before I tell you about the story, there are two things that stood out that I thought were amazing. First of all, the main character of this story is hispanic, which is something you don't see often in books. Secondly, her best friend is gay. These are things we don't get to see enough, and I praise Jolene Buchheit for making that her book.

The story was really interesting. It starts off pretty well, getting into the life of the main character. The book was fast pac
Angie McGrew
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love so much about this book I don't know where to start! The humor, the characters, the storyline. I will recommend this book to everyone! I can't believe this is the first book but I hope and pray it's not the last!! Love it!!
Jill Powers
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Even as a 35 year old, I related to this young adult book's main character. The storyline reads very fast and keeps you guessing....and for the first time ever I guessed wrong! One of my all time favorites!
Rose
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read contemporary YA but with that being said I absolutely loved this book! I found the characters totally relatable and the plot line kept me guessing through the twist and turns!
Rebecca Bell
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well, all I can say is you have to read this book and add a new book boyfriend to your ever ending list! Likeable characters throughout. Would definitely recommend to young adults and adults all around :) loved all the fan girl references throughout! Jolene, thank you for getting me out of my 3 month reading rut! When's your next book out?
Ann-rachelle
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I related to the main character Luc in many ways! The occasional catch phrases made me laugh and made me want to keep reading the book! I would recommend this book to anyone!
Suanne Laqueur
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read BFF in two days and enjoyed this modern YA Romance. The lead character Lucia "Luc" Guzman made a fresh and original narrator, telling her story from within a strong family dynamic, a circle of friends anchored by Jax, who is gay, and—most interestingly—her talent and dedication as a triathlete. Her pragmatic, safety-first approach to life is rattled when she is noticed by Connor, a cowboy heartthrob who also does triathlons. A fun, light read that I passed on to my teen daughter.
Lara
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a sweet, funny, fangirl-approved story! Be cautious of my four stars, as I only give out 5s to books that have completely changed my life (check my shelf, there's only a handful). The romance and friendship throughout the tale is certainly lovely, but what I think I enjoyed the most was the tight-knit family storylines. I feel I don't see that much in literature-- or life-- so it was refreshing and heartwarming to experience in Best Foot Forward .
Lenore Kosinski
DNF @ 27%.

This book just wasn't for me. It felt really slow starting, and something about the writing just bugged me so I wasn't enjoying myself. I can't articulate it though. The characters were uber sweet...but also felt sort of shallow (not in the self-centered way, but in the depth way). Oh well, not every book is going to match up with me....
Kim Cormack
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this light-hearted true young adult book. It was wonderful and extremely entertaining. I found myself identifying with the characters and I didn't want the book to end. That's how I know it's a five star for me :)
Terri M.
I struggled with Best Foot Forward, a debut young adult romance novel, by Jolene Buchheit. It did inspire me to examine why I don't usually stray far from my comfort genres and I had hoped that would allow me to put a positive spin on this novel. But even after stepping away, writing that post and coming back to this review, I can't find much to like about it.

I had a hard time connecting with the characters. Lucia's life was a little too perfect for me. She was good looking, an excellent athlete
Sofia The Great
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
2 Platypires for Best Foot Forward by Jolene Buchheit.

I was gifted a copy by the author for an honest review.

I was really looking forward to reading Best Foot Forward therefore it really sucks I did not enjoy it. I really did try but this book was just not for me. I kinda knew from the beginning that I was gonna have issues. I really did not like the writing style. There was too much "telling" and not enough "showing." Basically, I could not get sucked in the story. "Best Foot Forward" read m
Aaron Bunce
Best Foot Forward is a wonderful, light-hearted story about love, healing, and forgiveness. Conflict arises organically in the form of a romantic interest, a scorned ex-flame, but also the dangers of growing and developing within the unforgiving, and oftentimes cruel world of social pressure and expectations. I loved watching these characters develop and take on their own voices. This isn't simply a number of cardboard faces wrapped around a cookie cutter plot. This is relatable, and sometimes f ...more
Karyn
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This book had some twists that I enjoyed. I also enjoyed that it was a clean YA with a main character, Luc, who follows the rules as any mother would hope her for their daughter.

I was confused a little in the beginning. I did not read the summary of the book or have any idea going into it what it was about (I like to keep it that way so I have no pre-judgment). However in this case, I was confused as to whether the main character was a boy or a girl so I had trouble picturing the story
Casey Anderson
I really enjoyed this book. It is sweet and clean, which I LOVE because I can recommend this book to my 4th and 5th grade students who read at a higher level, without any worries. The characters are lovable and there is a super cute and super sweet book boyfriend. (Book boyfriend also smells amazing. How do I know? The author had his smell with her swag at Utopyacon2015). The fangirl references were awesome. I especially appreciated the Superman ones! ;) There was also some comedy sprinkled in w ...more
Ellen
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemp-romance
This was honestly really good
it's really wild reading something that was written by someone I know tho
I had no idea what to expect when going into this but I really enjoyed it.
it wasn't just some average ya romance novel, there was actually a plot behind the romance which i really enjoyed
(I also liked how much it reminded me of my days at wash)
I was constantly cringing at all the thg and pjo fangirl moments because it reminded myself too much of my early high school self
but yeah this was a good
Rachel
May 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
What even was this? I'm sorry but like I was expecting so much more from this book. Like I honestly don't understand why it's called "Best Foot Forward". And you wouldn't have even known this book had some crazy psycho stalker girl based on the description. Don't even get me started on the cheesiness oh my gosh.

I loved the THG references though! And how sweet Connor was! The thing about Connor was that the author made him way too over the top. Like yes, I get he was from the south, but does he
Christina Benjamin
Addicting

I was absolutely sucked into this book. The mystery, suspense and sweetness of teen love are so endearing. I can't remember reading a book this quickly I'm a really long time. Looking forward to more from this author.
Sarah Davis
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Haven't read a book for awhile that makes me pray for stoplights!
Sam Andrews
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Loveable characters so much fangirlness.. Tons of humour & romance! Everyone should read this! I will recommend to every one I know! Jolene when is your next book out?!
Elena Burrier
Grace
rated it it was ok
May 27, 2015
Jesse Wright
rated it did not like it
Jul 13, 2018
Emily
Feb 20, 2019
As a substitute teacher, Jolene spends her days in high school classrooms harvesting material for her Young Adult novels. She also uses it as an outlet for fangirling by showing upcoming book-to-movie trailers at the end of class, or discussing vital issues like whether Katniss should have picked Gale or Peeta.

She is committed to helping Special Education teenagers become independent adults and he
“You sound just like Mama,” she groans in exasperation.” 1 likes