Start by marking “Restoring At-Risk Communities: Doing It Together and Doing It Right” as Want to Read:
Restoring At-Risk Communities: Doing It Together and Doing It Right

Restoring At-Risk Communities: Doing It Together and Doing It Right

A comprehensive handbook to urban ministry introduces and shows how to implement a Christian community development program.
Published February 1st 1996 by Baker Books (first published February 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Restoring At-Risk Communities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restoring At-Risk Communities

Start your review of Restoring At-Risk Communities: Doing It Together and Doing It Right
Philip A Ross
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Convicting

This is the most practical book on Christian community development that I have ever read. Each section is written by a different author, each of whom has personal experience with doing radical work in improving troubled communities. This is not a book for people who want to dabble in ministry. This book is for people who are serious about making personal sacrifices in order to bring about the three R's of Christian community development: relocation, reconciliation, and redistribution.
Ava James
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive and informative. Some interesting insights of developing community. How to love people. How to invest in others. Help people help themselves. Liked the structure of the book. Which focused on foundation, strategy and ministry. Good read.
Mookie J
Lot of good stuff, challenging, thought-provoking.
Most challening line "Discovered I was a good church member, but not a good neighbor"

Each chapter is written by different people, gives some different perspectives, shares real life stories and Biblical perspective.
Joel Sanabria
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to be involved in community action and transformation. John Perkins is a man who has experienced what he has written and has been successful.
Kurt
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great insights into the work of rebuilding our communities.
Daniel
Oct 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was written out of the experiences of some of the first in the U.S. to combine community development with Christian witness and found in it a powerful way to live out the Kingdom of God.

The practicality of this book is grounding and the insights and challenges are keen. It's only weakness is it isn't as theologically precise as I enjoy, but given the action oriented nature of these writers, it is an excusable flaw.

Definitely recommended to anyone with a heart for the city in this day
Jessica
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in Christian community development
I guess I'd give this book a 3 for style and a 5 for content. I felt that the writing was weak, as is typical for a book written by multiple authors, and the format was confusing and jumbled, but as far as being a helpful resources for those interested in Christian community organizing? Most definitely. Restoring At-Risk Communities gave me a lot to think about, particularly in regard to the commitment that it takes in our cities to see transformation. Must-read for potential urban ministers. ...more
Liz
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sp-curriculum
Restoring at Risk Communities lives up to its subtitle: The Official Handbook of the Christian Community Development Association. I find this funny because as I was typing "feels like the CCDA handbook," I glanced down to find it printed on the cover.

This is a must-read for anyone considering inner city ministry. Coupling Scripture with practical advice, RARC is a compilation of wisdom from ministers with 'experience in the trenches.'
Jack Kooyman
We read and discussed it as part of our staff meeting every other week. While there is still much that is relevant, applicable, and worthwhile, it is clearly dated and is overdue for a revision. The work of Christian Community Development has evolved and matured significantly since this book was first published.
Chris
Mar 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: urban ministry
Shelves: church
Good simple and practical guidelines for doing urban ministry, especially for multi-cultural contexts and improving race relations.
Caroline Grossman
Jun 02, 2009
Vanjr
Feb 14, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism
  • Where Texas Meets the Sea: Corpus Christi and Its History
  • I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness
  • Not All Who Wander (Spiritually) Are Lost: A Story of Church
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • Lost in Thought: The Hidden Pleasures of an Intellectual Life
  • From Dependence to Dignity: How to Alleviate Poverty through Church-Centered Microfinance
  • The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
  • The Souls of Black Folk
  • Bend Sinister
  • The Charisma of Adolf Hitler
  • Evangelism as Exiles: Life on Mission as Strangers in our Own Land
  • This Is Our Time: Everyday Myths in Light of the Gospel
  • Wrestling with Dark Angels: Toward a Deeper Understanding of the Supernatural Forces in Spirtual Warfare
  • Defeating Dark Angels: Breaking Demonic Oppression in the Believer's Life
  • I Give You Authority: Practicing the Authority Jesus Gave Us
Dr. John M. Perkins is the founder and president emeritus of the John and Vera Mae Perkins Foundation and cofounder of Christian Community Development Association. He has served in advisory roles under five U.S. presidents, is one of the leading evangelical voices to come out of the American civil rights movement, and is an author and international speaker on issues of reconciliation, leadership, ...more

News & Interviews