Start by marking “The Guest Room” as Want to Read:
The Guest Room

Read Book

The Guest Room

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  23,878 ratings  ·  3,122 reviews
From the  New York Times  bestselling author of  Midwives and  The Sandcastle Girls  comes the spellbinding tale of a party gone horribly wrong: two men lie dead in a suburban living room; two women are on the run from police; and a marriage is ripping apart at the seams.
   When Richard Chapman offers to host his younger brother's bachelor party, he expects a certain amoun
Published January 5th 2016 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Guest Room, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Eileen H. If it's disgusting to read about these things, imagine how disgusting it must be to live it. Human trafficking is on the rise and I'm in favor of any…moreIf it's disgusting to read about these things, imagine how disgusting it must be to live it. Human trafficking is on the rise and I'm in favor of any means by which it is brought to the public's attention. Too many people live in their own private little cocoons.(less)
Jackie It is a historical fiction based on the Armenian Genocide in 1915, with a love story intertwined within it. The fictional part is pretty much just the…moreIt is a historical fiction based on the Armenian Genocide in 1915, with a love story intertwined within it. The fictional part is pretty much just the love story. The historical data of what happened to these Armenian people unfortunately is true. Although the Turkish government still to this day denies it ever happened, and has had it erased from their History books.(less)

·  23,878 ratings  ·  3,122 reviews

Emily May
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Everything, it seemed, was unraveling.

I've been seeing a lot of hype for Bohjalian's new thriller - The Guest Room - and it even made it into Goodreads' most read books of the week. The author was unfamiliar to me, but I decided to pick this up because I personally can't resist the call of the latest juicy thriller.

And that's just what this book is. It wouldn't be fair to sell this as something life-changing, or genre-defining; it's just really not that kind of book. What The Guest Room is, h
Deanna
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars

After seeing so many positive reviews of The Guest Room I just had to read it. This is the first book I've read by Chris Bohjalian.

The book opens to Richard Chapman speaking about how he had presumed there would be a stripper or two at his younger brother Philip's bachelor party. It bothered him a little bit that it was in his home but he didn't want to be a downer. He tells us that when he thinks about strippers h
Delee
I knew this book was going to hit a nerve with me. I read it anyways. I rarely do that...I prefer not to read things that will piss me off- I have enough things I come across in daily life do that...thank you very much.

...but the book description called to me, and I couldn't turn away- no matter how much I wanted to.

So now I am going to review it- and in doing that, I will probably alienate and piss some people off- when I try to explain what I was feeling every time I turned the page.

This may s
Elyse Walters
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Chris Bohjalian hit the ball out of the field with this book -- It might even be my favorite
book he's written....and damn, I love many of his books!!!

Instantly the storytelling grabbed me. I inhaled this novel- I finished it a couple of weeks ago -and have already discussed it so much - I forgot that I hadn't written a review.
Distraction - other books - leaving town- Brain atrophy? Ha...well, anyway... My brain must work well enough...because this novel is sticking with me like permanent glue.
Carol
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

This story is a combination of nightmare and horror show with a bachelor party gone wrong and young girl's dreams turned into a life of fear and abuse at the hands of so called businessmen and their disgusting dirty work.

With unrealized promises of freedom, the victimized young girls take matters into their own hands ending in a bloody disaster and turning one man's life into a living nightmare.

Richard Chapman was not a bad guy, he had a great job and loved his family, but he made a big

The Guest Room is a standalone, literary fiction novel written by Chris Bohjalian. This novel touches on a number of topics related to marriage, family, and trust, but the overall theme is human trafficking. Fortunately, there is more and more awareness being brought to this ever-present crisis and Mr. Bohjalian wrote a very plausible example of how some girls may end up in this modern-day slavery.

In terms of enjoyment, I don't think The Guest Room is intended to be enjoyed. All this topic can
Diane S ☔
2.5 Richrad thinks he is doing his younger brother a big favor when he agrees to host a bachelor party as his house. A trashed house, two dead thugs, two young stripers missing, blood every where and his entire life, his marriage, his job, his relationship with his daughter all in jeopardy, is not what he expected. He finds out the hard way, that one night, a wrong decision, trusting those he shouldn't has severe repercussions.

I have thought about what to say about this novel, why for me it was
Lori
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very 'in your face' look at the sex trafficking trade... examined from different points of view. I have two teenage daughters, one being the same age as Alexandra, and this has pushed to the surface so many societal fears I have for them. There are so many lessons to be learned. This is not a perfect novel, however, the fact that it has garnered such a strong reaction from me attests to the strength of Bohjalians writing.
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I recommend you read this book.

It may not be entirely enjoyable. In fact, you might feel rather uncomfortable at times (I certainly did). But if you're uncomfortable, that means Bohjalian's story is striking a nerve.

In The Guest Room Chris Bohjalian tells the story of a bachelor party gone very, very wrong (might this book do for bachelor parties what the movie "Fatal Attraction" did for affairs?...) It's a book about poor judgement, bad decisions, and worst case scenarios. It's a book about fac
Dianne
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This surprised me - I thought this would be a hard-hitting, visceral look at the sex slave industry and it turned out to be more of a light thriller. Meh. I'm the outlier here; most Bohjalian fans liked this more than I did. It was interesting but....I felt like more could have been done with this disturbing topic and the characters could have been better developed and less stereotypical.

Liked it, didn't love it.

Linda
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've given this book a lot of thought, before reviewing it. My dilemma was how to go about it without spoilers? I like to compare books and my reactions to them as I would judge pieces of art. Each one must provoke a feeling within me, whether it be good or bad, or they have failed in my eyes as an artist.

"The Guest House" got me involved with every character right from the beginning. The author had a talent of creating people who were able to touch your heart, and threw them into the horrors of
Barbara
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge

Richard and Kristin Chapman - fortyish, happily married, and living in upscale Bronxville, New York - are the ideal couple. Richard is an investment banker; Kristin is a high school history teacher; and they get along great with their 9-year-old daughter Melissa - who loves movies, fancy tights, and dance classes.

Richard's brother Philip, a hotel manager who's the 'gray sheep' of the family, is about to get married and Richard decides to host a bachelor party in his home. Kristin accommodatingly
Chris Witkowski
Jan 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
It is hard to believe this is the same author who wrote Midwives, Before you Know Kindness or the Law of Similiars, books that deftly handled controversial issues and were filled with interesting, likable characters. In The Guest Room Bohjalian is again exploring a hot button issue, in this case, the world of sex traffickers and the poor victims caught in their web, but the book is plain and simple pure drivel. Not one character worth caring about, an absurd plot, a nine year old girl who, given ...more
Suzanne
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
My first foray into Overdrive, and considering I work in a library, a long overdue one! This was to me, literary fiction. Lots of back story on Russia in the 1980's, and many references to the sex slave industry. This is not nice stuff.

A 'good' man, loving father and sensible older brother holds a bucks evening for his reckless, selfish and obstinant younger sibling. What could go wrong? Admittedly the owner of the house (the wife) knew there would be a stripper, but so be it.

What transpires is
Wendy
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jan-16
Once again Chris Bohjalian proves to be a master storyteller!
Richard Chapman reluctantly agrees to host his younger brother Philip's bachelor party at his own home. He suspects Philip's friend Spencer may be hiring "strippers" for the occasion. What he doesn't expect is two young women and their Russian bodyguards who show up at his door. Things escalate quickly from drinking, partying, sex and then suddenly to murder.
Richards home, as well as the home of his wife and daughter, becomes a crime s
Jessica Woodbury
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
The first few pages of this book will hook you immediately. Once you find out what has happened, the fallout will keep you turning pages. I think it's the most riveting Bohajlian novel I've read, wonderfully plotted.

It's also a book that's hugely relevant in our modern discussion of rape culture. Bohjalian looks at a bachelor party, an event so deeply ingrained in American culture that it's expected for any man getting married, an event that is also in large part about the objectification of wo
switterbug (Betsey)
Veteran writer Chris Bohjalian has an appreciation for story and character, and he combines a ripped-from-the-headlines topic with a sympathetic family drama. Wealthy investment banker Richard Chapman has been happily married to Kristin, and their nine-year-old daughter, Melissa, is the light of their lives. Kristin teaches at the upscale private school near where they live in Bronxville. Solid marriage. Happy family. But, what happens when a tragedy of consequences hits home?

When Richard’s wif
♡ Kim ♡
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins, i-own
Great book! Ok, so some may not like the topic of sex trafficking, but if you can get past that, then this is a fast paced book that will suck you in and keep you reading until the end!

☮Karen
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Maybe closer to 3.5 stars for this audiobook.

I've said this before, so again, I think Chris Bohjalian is an amazing writer of the female psyche. I also know that all things Armenian are extremely important to him. If there are young women (really, "girls") in Armenia being kidnapped and sold into sex slavery, Chris is the guy to write about it. He crafted a very tragic and interesting story of a bachelor party gone horribly wrong when the hired strippers (sex slaves) kill their handlers at the p
Bill
This is the first book I have ever read by Chris Bohjalian. In fact, I had never really heard of him before. Which is quite surprising considering how much I read, and the fact that he has written almost 20 novels.

So this book is primarily about the sex slave trade, and every second chapter is told from the perspective of a girl who is a sex slave. And the story she tells of her life is so unbelievably sad. And the people who engage in this business are so despicable, it's enough to make you sic
Erin Dunn
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This is the second book I've read by Chris Bohjalian and I've rated both of them five stars! So I am seeing that I definitely need to read more by Bohjalian. The first one I read by him is The Sleepwalker, see my review for that one here.

#FiveStarRead

I got sucked into The Guest Room right away. The book immediately started off with excellent tension and suspense and it stayed fast-paced throughout. I like that it has Richard and Alexandra's POV, but also t
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Doubleday Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Top 50 Books of 2016!

Chris Bohjalian delivers another gripping page-turner suspense, THE GUEST ROOM -- a mix of crime, psycho, and mystery thriller. From moral consequences to the raising of awareness of the exploitation of our teens across the world, in an all “too realistic” and timely story-- a series of violent events which could happen to any American family today.

When a suburban family cros
Deborah Blanchard
I don't know what to say about this book except: Riveting! I will probably write better review later, however, I wanted everyone to know what a page turner this book is. It is based on sex slaves and abduction. It has murder and mayhem. It has love and caring. It encompasses everything into one amazing, incredible ride of a read! Chris Bohjalian is a very gifted and amazing storyteller. This was my first book by him and it isn't for sale yet, but write down the name, you need to read it. It is v ...more
Patricia Williams
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite authors and I always love his books. He tells a good story but also makes a social statement. This was another book that I could not put down once I started reading it. I won't give the story away except to say that my only disappointment was the main character did not make it to the end of the story. He was so likeable and caring and you really wanted things to come out good for him. But overall a very good story.
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Unfortunately this wasn’t a winner for me. I hated all of the characters, and the plot wasn’t doing it for me either. The book centered around sex trafficking, adultery, bribery, and lies, and I just couldn’t get into it because I wasn’t rooting for any of the characters.
Rita
I am still catching up from being sick so I will write full review later. Great book. I love Chris Bohjalian. Finally feeling better.
Richard is hosting his brother Philip's bachelor party in his home but is totally unprepared for the kind of party Philip's friend Spencer arranges. When the party is over, Richard's house is the scene of sexual excess and murder, courtesy of the 2 sexslaves that came with their Russian bodyguards. When all is said and done, Richard Chapman's house has become a cri
♥ Sandi ❣
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-have
It all began at a bachelor party- the one that Richard Chapman was hosting for his younger brother Phillip. Strippers were booked for the party - they showed up and the party goers began to get drunk. Soon they all became sober! The "girls" attending the party, along with their "body guards" became the main focus, when the girls killed their keepers. The two Armenian sex slaves then fled the party.
Now both Richard and Phillip had to explain to their parents, Phillips fiance' and Richards wife a
Carol
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
My sincere thanks to Doubleday and Edelweiss for the advance e-galley to be published January 5, 2016.

Have you ever been talked into something when you knew right from the start that you know your answer should be “No”? Richard Chapman pushes aside his better judgment and agrees to host his brother Philip’s bachelor party in his own upscale home. He convinces himself that a bunch of guys, a night of heavy drinking and perhaps a stripper, or even two couldn’t be all that bad. He’d clean up before
Bookworm
Another fantastic read by Chris Bohjalian!!! Excuse me while I dry my eyes from all of that ugly crying 😉 I admit it...I'm an emotional reader. I love books that can bring me to tears, make me rage or fall hopelessly in love. The Guest Room is a book that will deceptively pull at your heartstrings. It is about human sex trafficking. Told in multiple perspectives including Richard, a conservative banker and family man, Kristin, his wife, and Alexandra, a young Armenian victim of human sex traffic ...more
Marjorie
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
This is an amazing book. Chris Bohjalian has such a knack for slipping his readers right into the lives and hearts of his characters. With this book, he has not only created a chilling thriller but also a deep complex novel about family and trust. But he doesn’t stop there. He also opens your heart and mind to the horror of child sex trafficking in such an intimate way that is completely heart rending.

The striking comparison between the lives of the two young girls in this book makes for an engr
Play Book Tag: The Guest Room, by Chris Bohjalian- 4 Stars 4 24 Oct 09, 2018 10:58AM
Play Book Tag: The Guest Room, by Chris Bohjalian; 4.5 Stars 3 19 Dec 22, 2017 04:57PM
Guest House in Goa 1 1 Dec 12, 2017 09:18PM
What makes a Bohjalian novel a Bohjalian novel? 4 70 Dec 09, 2017 08:54PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #56 The Guest Room 1 2 Oct 19, 2017 02:54PM
Tournament of Books: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Guest Room 9 71 Aug 14, 2016 07:44AM
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Dreambender
  • Jack Strong
  • The Elementalists
  • Mystery Girl
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • The Tree House (The Tree House, #1)
  • Pretending to Dance
  • The Saints Go Dying
  • Bound (The Caelian Cycle #2)
  • Angels Burning
  • All I Love and Know
  • And the Dark Sacred Night
  • The Boy in the Snow (Edie Kiglatuk Mystery, #2)
  • Jo Nesbø Collection: The Leopard, the Redeemer, the Snowman, the Devils Star
  • Echoes of my Soul
  • You Came Back
Follow Chris Bohjalian on Goodreads to see what's on the nightstand!

Chris is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of 20 books. Chris's work has been translated into over 30 languages and three times become movies ("Midwives," "Secrets of Eden," and "Past the Bleachers.")

"The Flight Attendant" paperback lands January 8, 2019, wherever books are sold. It debuted as a hardcover in March 2019 as a
“She cringed when she saw she needed a bikini wax - and cringed that she even got them in the first place. It wasn't the pain. It was the whole idea she was raising her daughter in a world where pubic hair was a problem.” 1 likes
“She would hear the verbal balancing act: urgency mixed like gin amid the tonic of consideration.” 0 likes