Start by marking “Golden Son (Red Rising, #2)” as Want to Read:
Golden Son (Red Rising, #2)

Golden Son

(Red Rising Saga #2)

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  109,355 ratings  ·  9,771 reviews
As a Red, Darrow grew up working the mines deep beneath the surface of Mars, enduring backbreaking labor while dreaming of the better future he was building for his descendants. But the Society he faithfully served was built on lies. Darrow’s kind have been betrayed and denied by their elitist masters, the Golds—and their only path to liberation is revolution. And so Darro ...more
Published July 7th 2015 by Del Rey (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Son, please sign up.
Johnny Wenzel Pierce Brown mentioned that he pictured Fitchner to be Paul Bettany (Knight's Tale, Beautiful Mind), but I don't really see it.

I could go with Rhys…more

I could go with Rhys Wakefield. Handsome enough to be a gold but villainy enough to be Sevro.

I would love to see Emma Watson play Mustang. She usually takes the smart girl role, but I think she could pull off Mustang's edge very well.

Alex Pettyfur for Cassius

Marie Avgeropoulos for Antonia

Darrow....is impossible. I picture someone like Robbie Amell but I think they should take someone unknown for him. I wouldn't want a celebrity to detract from who Darrow is. For example, initially, I saw Katniss as Katniss but now I just see Jennifer Lawrence. I couldn't buy into Dan Brown's Robert Langdon because all I could see was Tom Hanks (don't get me wrong; I love both movie series, but I'd like to experience Darrow with a new face).

I clearly liked this question. More people should pitch in thoughts.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mansford Masters I feel convinced by it myself personally. I mean he's always been Darrow's friend true but coming from the kind of family he has and the way he's been…moreI feel convinced by it myself personally. I mean he's always been Darrow's friend true but coming from the kind of family he has and the way he's been bred as a Gold I can see it being very plausible. What I'm more concerned about is where and how they found out all the information they did concerning Darrow being a Red and Fitchner as Ares. I certainly hope it wasn't from Virginia. That would ruin it for me.(less)

Emily May
“I will die. You will die. We will all die and the universe will carry on without care. All that we have is that shout into the wind - how we live. How we go. And how we stand before we fall.”

I *almost* didn't write a review for Golden Son. It doesn't matter how many reviews I write or how snarky I've been in the past, there is something extremely intimidating about writing a negative review for a book that all my friends loved, that critics praised, and that has an average Goodreads rating of
Patrick
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did I mention that I listened to these almost exclusively as audiobooks?

I did. And the narration was, to put it plainly, purely brilliant. Dude knocked it out of the park.

In fact, the narrative voice was so strong that when I picked up a paper copy of the book so I could read it faster. (I read about 5 or 6 times faster off the page.) The narrator's voice stuck with me in my head, like when you read some text next to a picture of Morgan Freeman.

So yeah. Not just some excellent books. But excelle
Kat O'Keeffe
Fantastic installment to the Red Rising trilogy! I love the epic scope of this story and the pacing is perfect. I still had a few small issues with some aspects of the characters (I have trouble connecting emotionally to the protagonist) and the writing (there were some scenes I couldn't quite visualize). But on the other hand, I love a lot of the other characters (Sevro is my favorite!) and there are so many brilliant, beautiful lines I could quote this book for days.

This series so far is aweso
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re-read on audio while awaiting "Iron Gold" *I tweaked my old review.

Can I just take a moment to give credit to this wonderful ending ↓

I can't even right now!

Okay, lets move on to a little bit of a more sedate review. First off I love Darrow, Sevro, Ragnar, Quinn and Mustang and I swear . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Well, I love a lot of the side characters but I'm most in love right now with Sevro, Darrow and Ragnar in that order.

I can't even write this review! This book is all o
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Updated Review:

I have this quirk . . . I call it my "false sense of urgency."

It sometimes makes me impatient and unforgiving when I'm reading a book for the first time, and if the new book happens to be the latest installment of one of my favorite series, the possibility of that first read suffering the effects of my FSoU goes up exponentially.

*glances sheepishly at GOLDEN SON*

1. I don't care about the bloody Ash Lord.

2. There was TONS of info about Obsidians and Stained, it just wasn't the in
Petrik
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi & Space Opera fans
Buddy reading this book with my favorite Howlers:
Sarah, Celeste, Mary, Tweebie, Jennymort

Take all these 5 stars from me, Pierce Brown, take it, you completely deserve it.

Unbelievable… It wasn’t an exaggeration when literally everyone told me the sequels to Red Rising are much better, Golden Son is truly an incredible installment in the trilogy. I praised Red Rising, I enjoyed reading it so much and yet it pales in comparison to its sequel. I started reading Golden Son on 8th January, the day I
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥

It’s been three days I finished “Golden Son” and I still don’t know how I feel about it, let alone what I think about it. >_<
I’m just so confused and devastated and my heart is nothing but an empty void.

There seem to be three bloodydamn good reasons why I feel that way though:

1.) Pierce Brown ri
Navessa
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This comes out today. And you should read it because it's fucking awesome.

RTC when I'm done with my re-read and can find the words to do this beast justice.
Steph Sinclair
This 5 star rating might come as a surprised to some of you who know how conflicted Red Rising left me. In fact, it's one of the only books I've read, but NOT rated. How often does that happen? Hmm... never. So how did I go from "unable to rate book one" to "loving book 2 something fierce"? The short and lazy answer is, I don't know. The long and complicated version is this review. Huzzah!

Golden Son is a remarkable improvement over some of the issues I had with Red Rising. The writing and plot a
Katerina
What do you live for?

Money? Fame? Glory? Love? Family? Ambition?
For the autumn leaves that rustle under your feet? For the smell of the soil after rain? For the juicy peaches that melt in your mouth? For the sound of the tumultuous waves when they reach the shore? For the laughter of a child that views the world as a wonder?

Darrow au Andromedus fights for the freedom, the opportunity to live for the above. For an oppressed people that hides in the shadows of the so-called superiors for centuri
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Rating: 4.5 stars

It's hard to believe that there can be even more action after Red Rising, but lo and behold! My heart breaks for these characters... they have loved and lost so much, but they just keep on fighting for what they believe is right.

It was great spending more time with this crew, and meeting some fantastic new characters, too! I love Darrow's brain - he comes up with the most clever, and often crazy, plans, and it was so much fun (yet stressful) seeing them unfold.

C.G. Drews
READ #2, Jan 2018:
I'm going to go ahead and say it: but this book is bloodydamn brilliant. I originally rated it 4 stars and then upped it to 5 because holy shit this book did not hold back. It was complex, smart, twisty, and powerful. And the actual rise in quality of the writing and characters was AMAZING!?? (For starters it was way way less sexist than Red Rising too.)

GAH. I'M IN LOVE.

And rereading was so freaking stressful because I knew what was going down in the end and I just??? I did not
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

Two years after Red Rising left off we meet the Reaper/Darrow again. He has moved on to the Academy-He is the Golden child right? Then right as he tastes that brass ring; it gets yanked away.
That's one thing about the Red Rising stories. They will twist you into a million different knots before they destroy you.

If your heart beats like a drum,
and your leg's a little wet,
it's 'cause the Reaper's come
to collect a little debt.

In this book I didn't love Darrow-sometimes I found him just plain whin
Samantha
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am never emotionally prepared for this series but I am even less emotionally prepared for that cliffhanger.
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
❝My son, my daughter, now that you bleed, you shall know no fear, no defeat, only victory. Your cowardice seeps from you. Your rage burns bright. Rise, warrior of Gold, and take with you your Color’s might.❞

THAT ENDING. I AM SPEECHLESS. I don't even know what to say. This book was full of surprises. Literally. I did not see any of this coming. This series just keeps getting better and better. You'd think that Golden Son would suffer the "book before the finale" syndrome but NOPE. Not even cl
☽Luna☾
5/5★★★★★

What a fun Buddy Read with team Howlers; Speedy eye Oppa, Whorefart Aga, Dewi, Minxy & Voldemort

'If your heart beats like a drum and your leg's a little wet, it's 'cause the Reaper's come to collect a little debt.'

that ending...... That MOTHERFUCKING ENDING.

I AM

O

O

M

!

Hear that sound? Relax. it's just the sound of my mind being blown and my brains splattering the walls.

description

Holy balls is right folks. How the hell did the author think of such an aw
❄️Nani❄️
3.75⭐

After the underwhelming and super unsatisfying Red Rising (which started out well then went downhills), Golden Son turned out to be a complete surprise in every aspect but one. And it would’ve been a solid 4⭐ read, were it not for the characters.

The Plot:

Golden Son continues with Darrow’s quest for vengeance and retribution and right off the bat, it started out with some much needed humbling and a vicious learning experience for him, which hyped me up for the rest of the book because the c
Robin (Bridge Four)
Re-read with some of my Glorydamn friends at Buddies Books and Baubles because there was a lot of stuff that went down in this and I need to relive it all going into Morning Star.

I'm glad I reread this since I had forgotten so much of what happened early on this this book. And even though I knew what was going to happen at the end and I knew it was coming and I was waiting for it to get there it still affected me so deeply and hurt just as much if not more than the first time.

I'm pretty sure P
Natasha Polis
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I finished this baby awhile ago, and loved every action packed minute. I'm anticipated Morning Star this February!!!
Dorreh
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow, holy mother of bloody/gory damn hell on earth, Mars, Venus and Pluto! What did I just read??!!!!!

This book surpassed the first quite evidently. It was clear from the beginning this would be a great book.

The story picked up where the first book ended, but not quite. The story picks up with a several year gap, where the characters have recovered from the institute and are now members of the active society. They have had a chance to mature and become the people they were meant to be. I thi
Erica Ravenclaw
Reread: January 2018 ☆☆☆

Well. This is awkward. Reading Golden Son is arduous af.

This installment shifts to a tech-heavy and space-centric sci-fi novel, which feels like a stark contrast in the wake of Red Rising. In truth, I see the continuity for the complete story arc, it is natural for things to expand. It also feels polarizing, and boring. But that character development tho... I remain here for Sevro. Always.

**Original review below**

☆☆☆☆☆

No spoilers and colorful language abound! I received
Kyle
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

Epic roller coaster ride from start to finish! I'd have given it 6 stars if I could.

At the end of the first book of this trilogy, Darrow Au Andromedus, after winning the Institutes barbaric challenge, kneels before his enemy and agrees to become his adopted son. The second book in the trilogy begins two years later with Darrow at the head of a fleet of warships battling a simulated war against house Bellona's oldest son Karnus for victory in the graduation test of the Academy.

I won't spoil ev

Brandi

IT'S LIVE

"Hic sunt leones."

description

The stakes have risen. Friends become enemies, and enemies become allies. Who can Darrow trust as his journey to destroy his corrupt society continues? Golden Son is a jaw-dropping, fast paced addition to the Red Rising Trilogy, full of intrigue, courage and fast-paced action that left my heart pounding.

Bloodydamn. This book had me on the edge of my seat. The g
Markus
"For seven hundred years, my people have been enslaved without voice, without hope. Now I am their sword. And I do not forgive. I do not forget. So let him lead me onto his shuttle. Let him think he owns me. Let him welcome me into his house, so I might burn it down."

The life of Darrow au Andromedus is a charade. To the eyes of the world, he is a Gold, a member of the proud and wicked master race in full control of the Society. In secret, he is a Red, a slave from the depths of Mars sent by the
Faye, la Patata
EDIT: just finished this bloodydamn good book for the second time and I am completely shattered, wrecked, and in absolute overwhelming despair. How? How does this author write so amazingly that his words and narrative rip you apart from all directions? Throughout reading, I was high then I was low, from feeling the glory to feeling the pain and anguish. Seriously, I am not sure I can survive from this. BRAVO!!!

If you've come here upon the assumption that I am able to talk about my feelings for t
Sana
“They say a kingdom divided against itself cannot stand. They made no mention of the heart.”

This is more of a 2 1/2 stars and I enjoyed it slightly more than the previous book. Friends please don't kill me, I tried, but I just can't find myself to love it. D:

Dw, there will be no spoilers in my review. I won't be talking about the plot or anything bc then that will spoil those of you who haven't read Red Rising.

I tried so hard and I had so much hope I would end up liking this bc of PEOPLE,
Angela

"...So it's pride."
"It's always pride."
"Pride is just a shout into the wind."

He shakes his head, voice deepening. "I will die. You will die. We
will all die and the universe will carry on without care. All that we
have is that shout into the wind-how we live. How we go. And how we
stand before we fall." He leans forward. "So you see, pride is the only
thing..."

Red Rising took me by surprise... Way way by surprise. Golden Son did the same and then some. I have no idea where Pierce Brown
Sh3llraiser (grumpybookgrrrl)
First Read: December 2014 (5 stars)
Second Read: February 2016 (5 stars)

Buddy Re-read with Buddies Books and Baubles January 25, 2016! YESYESYESYES

New thoughts: Still just as great the second time around. That ending, though. Pierce Brown, you are a wicked man!

Sevro, Ragnar, Victra, Lorn = my favorites in this.

I swear, the following people had better die a horrible death in the last book! Seriously! (view spoiler)
Melanie
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#1.) Red Rising ★★★

Okay, let me shout this from on top of my roof real quick before I start reviewing this: this series is very much not a YA series, but is an ADULT series that has a lot of violence, gore, and cruelty throughout it. It is honestly almost the equivalent of calling ASOIAF a YA series, because it so happens to have some young adults in it.

For those of you unfamiliar with Red Rising, even though I feel like I was the only one left at this point, in this world that takes place in o
Hamad
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

Friendships take minutes to make, moments to break, years to repair.”

🌟 It took me exactly 17 months to be in the mood again to continue this series. Book 1 was very packed and it took me more than 10 days to read (I read it in finals so that’s biased). I heard this was better and so I had to wait till I was in the mood again so I can enjoy it to maximum levels.

🌟 In those 17 months, I grew up ver
  • The End of All Things (Old Man's War, #6)
  • Crushed (Soul Eaters, #2)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus Wars, #2)
  • Firefight (The Reckoners, #2)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
  • The Mime Order (The Bone Season, #2)
  • Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1)
  • The Dread Wyrm (The Traitor Son Cycle, #3)
  • Slip (Slip, #1)
  • Dust (Silo, #3)
  • The Coldest War (The Milkweed Triptych, #2)
  • Catalyst (Insignia, #3)
  • The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2)
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams
  • Half the World (Shattered Sea, #2)
  • Zero World
  • A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)
Hello. I'm Pierce Brown, the author of the Red Rising Saga, a NYT #1 bestseller. The newest entry, IRON GOLD debuts January 15, 2018.

I figured I'd write you myself than have corporate copy pasted below my totally natural author photo.

In my books you'll find stories of men and women finding their inner strength when all seems lost. You'll also find me exploring themes of power--what it means, why

Red Rising Saga (6 books)
  • Red Rising (Red Rising, #1)
  • Morning Star (Red Rising, #3)
  • Iron Gold (Red Rising, #4)
  • Dark Age (Red Rising Saga #5)
  • Untitled (Red Rising Saga #6)
“Home isn't where you're from, it's where you find light when all grows dark.” 688 likes
“There is no greater plague to an introvert than the extrovert.” 480 likes