Start by marking “Trespass (The Darkeningstone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trespass (The Darkeningstone, #1)

Trespass

(The Darkeningstone #1)

Jake never liked urban myths. But this is not an urban myth. And it did not happen to someone else, but to him. He's set it down as best he can remember. Whether you believe it or not, is up to you.

The Darkeningstone combines gritty, edgy modern-day action with an adventure across time. Discovered over 5,000 years ago, the Darkeningstone affects everyone who finds it.

So
Published April 24th 2015 (first published August 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Trespass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trespass

Start your review of Trespass (The Darkeningstone, #1)
D.M. Cain
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so intriguing and well written I just couldn't put it down. I don't have much time for reading and so a novel will usually take me a few months to get through. I read this from cover to cover in five days because I just couldn't put it down! The style of writing is accessible and flowed nicely from chapter to chapter. The character development is strong and I could empathise with the protagonist because of the situations he was placed in. The different timelines and narratives give ...more
Mark Gardner
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Somewhere, sometime, the stone is waiting. The premise of Trespass is an interesting one. A mysterious stone exists outside of the space-time continuum and wrecks havoc on three different timelines. The book has a cliff-hanger, but unfortunately, I just don’t care about Jake throughout the book to raise the righteous indignation of the story having no conclusion. I found the Jake character boring, and his apparent cowardly behavior to be frustrating and annoying. This is not necessarily a bad ...more
Claire
Trespass flits between time zones as it tells a story of a stone discovered in a quarry.Set against a modern backdrop, 1939 and in 3500BC, Trespass shows the entwining stories of 3 individuals who encountered the darkenstone.

I would have to admit that the modern segment did not grip me as much as the other time zones. The character of Jake is well written and it certainly echoes modern school life but this is where it's weakness is. Jake is not a powerful character, he's bullied and a bit of an
Rares
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mikey Campling might just be my new favorite author.

This is a story spanning 5000 years, in three different times. A hermit guards a precious stone slab that seems to have an entire world within. A young boy discovers the stone and grows mesmerized by it enough to risk running into the local gang of bullies, repeatedly. Even after being attacked. An old man remembers an old friend and a frightening experience at that very stone.

The driving theme is deliciously simple yet powerful. This is
Sheri
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, magical
Why? Why the cliffhanger? I hate them so much. grrrr
Otherwise, I really enjoyed the story. I liked the mix of past and present. I liked the idea of the magic darkeningstone. I found the writing really clear, and I love, love, loved the Monty Python bit.
Just one question. Was Callie real or not?
Aviar Savijon
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this is a grand scale time traveling mystery and thriller. That keeps you guessing and on a adventure across time. will the answers be found? what will happen? find out in Trespass by Mikey Campling. You won't regret it. This book is brilliantly written.
Meenaz Lodhi
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intrigue and Suspense! The story starts to unravel by bits, connecting the characters in the mystery of the darkening stone. I confess I'm intrigued with the origins, the whys and the meaning of the stone, and felt compelled to read the book in one go, so I could start with the next!
Dane Cobain
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve been meaning to check out Campling’s work for a while now but this is the first time I’ve finally bit the bullet and picked up one of his books. Unfortunately, I was a little bit disappointed.

Don’t get me wrong, the writing and editing are up to scratch and are pretty good for an indie release, although I did spot a few minor issues with the internal formatting. It’s just that the story isn’t the kind of story that I find interesting, and rather than the “tale of supernatural suspense” that
William
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm surprised I enjoyed this story as much as I did. I normally limit my reading to Sci Fi novels with Aliens, Plasma Blasters, Space Travel and Weapons, etc. While there wasn't any time travel, the story ranges from 3,500 BC, to 1939 and 2010. A mysterious Black Stone, with seemingly such perfect edges, corners and polished surface make it impossible to be "Man-Made" and obviously not "Natural" either. The surface is so smooth and the material so pure some are not only able to see into the ...more
Debbie
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mystery, history, and science fiction, all blended into a fascinating story that spans thousands of years. I like all of the characters, but I think my favorites are the ones tending the Darkeningstone five thousand years in the past. They are an interesting take on how early man may have viewed unfamiliar and puzzling objects. That stone certainly remains a puzzle, right into modern times. Is it an alien artifact? Some kind of wormhole? Maybe a time travel portal? The guesses are all equally ...more
Shaunta
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it

I'm an independent reviewer for Paranormal Romance and Authors That Rock. I received Trespass from is author Mikey Campling and PRATR in exchange for my review.

At first I was not sure what to make of this story as I began reading reading it other than it was a Young Adult fiction book. Trespass storyline spans over 5,000 years and starts with a Young teenager who becomes enamored with a stone he finds to a hermit. Each time zone was detailed and explained to weave together so as to limit
Nancy
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
The set up of this novel was really good - we jump between first two and then three times: 2010, 3500BC and then 1939. All of the events occur in a quarry which contains a mysterious black stone which somehow links the time periods. The main story is told by a 14 year old boy who accidentally falls into the quarry and discovers the stone, but a lot of the book also follows Burlic, a neolithic man (who speaks great English...) whose own discovery of the stone has a terrifying effect upon him.

The
Janeandjerry
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book through READING DEALS so I could give an honest review. I really enjoyed this book and it's characters. I thought it was very well written and executed and looking forward into reading more from this author. This was my first book from READING DEALS and can't wait to read my next book from them.
This book is spread out over thousands of years between the years of 3500 B.C. and 2010 with the main subject being the Darkening Stones. This is a
Teresa Valentic
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought a bit of a slow start but the story was engaging with a good set up for book two. A good read.
James
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful mystery. I greatly enjoyed this book. Good story with in depth, relate-able characters. Won courtesy of Goodreads Giveaway.
John
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great adventure, time travel, mystery...
Saundra Wright
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always in books by Michael Campling, this is very well written. The beauty of the language, visceral descriptive passages, and compelling characters are all trademarks of his writing. This complex plot follows the events surrounding a mysterious black stone through three different timelines, millennia apart at times, and still overlapping one another.

In modern day, Jake is a teen at a difficult time in his life. His parents have separated. His mother spends too much time away, at work and
Bonnie Dale Keck
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kindle Unlimited good story basically but kept getting lost, tho that may be because my computer 'reads' to me so maybe missed some things not totally sure.

Nobody goes into the old quarry. Nobody. Until today.Three lives are intertwined across five thousand years, united by one deadly secret: Somewhere, sometime, the stone is waiting.
Trespass combines the action of a gripping thriller with a historical mystery set in the ancient past, and blends supernatural suspense with time travel.Discovered
Ducky
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-in-2018
This story intrigued me from the first when I read the sample. I expected it to be much different, similar to the Chronicles of Narnia where the protagonist travels to a different world to have adventures. It wasn't like that at all, but I enjoyed the book. Jake was very real to me. He's a young man on the cusp of adulthood who still struggles with the expectations and angst of school while also dealing with parents who are so caught up in their own lives that they forget they have a son who ...more
Paul Wandason
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a shorter version of my full review over on my time travel blog.

Trespass is set across three times; 3500 BC, 1939 and 2010. Each time has its unique set of characters, and I was very impressed with how the writing style remained unique in each period.

It kicks off in 2010 with Jake, a teenager who discovers the Darkeningstone in a disused quarry. It's written in the first person and a very YA style complete with melodrama and Jake's illogical way of thinking and drawing conclusions.

A
Sinead
I won a copy of this on Goodreads Giveaways for an impartial review.

It has taken me a while to get to this book - I think mainly because the cover was a bit dull for my liking so it always got put to the bottom of TBR pile. I liked the idea behind it and the summary on the back sounded quite exciting.
However, I did not finish this book - I got to chapter 20 and had to give up as it was a little dull, confusing and there were too many characters introduced at the same time for my liking. I am
Inger
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting story. It reminds me of a Steven King novel. Lots of twist. Unique characters. Fast paced. A lot of back and forth in time. So you have to pay attention of the time sequence or it can be confusing. I recommend this book. You will enjoy it as I did. Thank you Mikey for a good read.
Kathy Floyd
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and exciting!

I loved the idea of the story weaving in and out of different periods of time in the lives of our characters, and the suspense was absolutely nail-biting!
Donna
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent story, well written and engaging, full of thrilling action. Highly recommended reading!
NB I received a complimentary copy of this book, but I always give an HONEST review
Charles  van Buren
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, well written first volume of a trilogy,August 8, 2016

This review is from:Trespass: A Tale of Mystery and Suspense Across Time (The Darkeningstone Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Mr. Campling has written a complex, compelling novel with interconnected action and characters spanning thousands of years. This is not a novel for those who want a simple linear storyline. The story combines mystery, science fiction, fantasy, adventure and multiple characters into a mix of different but
Mandy Walkden-Brown
A singularly good read.

I was totally enamoured of this story after reading the prologue/prequel Breaking Ground and somehow time just disappeared as I read this. The characters are incredibly full of life, from the Neolithic, to those inhabiting England of WWII and 2012.

Really unusual plot, well crafted, compelling and impeccably edited. Could kick myself, this gem was sitting, ignored, on my iPhone for some time. Will be reading the rest of this series, and anything else from this author!

Traci Otte
I know a lot of people like this book, but it didn't thrill me. I guess my feeling about it was, "Meh."

The concept is good, and maybe if I was or had ever been a pubescent boy I'd relate better to the modern-day character and his best friend. The time shifts changed a bit too frequently for me, and I couldn't really tell what was going on some of the time, especially in the oldest time period.

The ending is meant to make you jump to read the next book, but I think I'm going to skip it.
ja.mes
Jul 31, 2017
Angela
May 04, 2016
Catherine Chilewski
Nov 14, 2016
Time Travel: The Darkeningstone 4 9 Dec 13, 2015 08:52AM
Review Copies Available 1 3 Feb 24, 2014 02:20AM

• The Land: Monsters (Chaos Seeds, #8)
  • Super Sales on Super Heroes 3 (Super Sales on Super Heroes, #3)
Michael (Mikey to friends) is a full-time writer living and working in a tiny village on the edge of Dartmoor in Devon. He writes stories with characters you can believe in and plots you can sink your teeth into.
Michael's work spans several genres, and you can get a flavor of the range with Compendium, a starter collection you'll receive when you join Michael's readers' group, The Awkward Squad.

The Darkeningstone (3 books)
  • Outcast (The Darkeningstone Series Book 2)
  • Scaderstone (The Darkeningstone Series Book 3)
“I’ve never liked urban myths. I’ve never liked pretending to believe in them; never understood why everyone else doesn’t see straight through them. Why is it they’ve always happened to a friend of a friend - someone you’ve never met? Why does everyone smile and nod and pull the right faces, when they must know they’re not true? Pointless. A waste of breath.
So I sneered at the myths about Scaderstone Pit. It was just an old quarry – nothing more. I never believed in the rumours of discarded dynamite. It had decayed, they said. It exploded at the slightest touch, had even blown someone’s hand off. I shrugged off the talk of the toxic waste. It was dumped in the dead of night, they said. The canisters rusting away, leaking deadly poisons that could blind you, burn your lungs. I laughed at the ghost stories. You could hear the moans, they said, of quarrymen buried alive and never found. You could see their nightwalking souls, searching for their poor crushed bodies.
I didn’t believe any of it – not one word. Now, after everything that’s happened, I wonder whether I should’ve listened to those stories. Maybe then, these things would’ve happened to someone else, and I could’ve smiled and said they were impossible.
But this is not an urban myth. And it did not happen to someone else, but to me. I’ve set it down as best I can remember. Whether you believe it or not, is up to you.”
2 likes
“Burlic screamed. He threw back his head and roared a single furious word into the night: “Waeccan.” The name erupted from him in a savage wail that rasped at his throat, over and over until he could shout no more.
His howls echoed along the valley. In the village, the other hunters heard and exchanged glances, shook their heads and said nothing. The women clutched their talismans, told the children to go inside. They had tried to help, but there was nothing they could do for Burlic now.”
0 likes