Start by marking “skirt! Rules for the Workplace: An Irreverent Guide to Advancing Your Career” as Want to Read:
skirt! Rules for the Workplace: An Irreverent Guide to Advancing Your Career

skirt! Rules for the Workplace: An Irreverent Guide to Advancing Your Career

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Humorous, practical, tell-it-like-it-is advice for women in the workplace.

Only seven of the Fortune 500 companies have a woman as CEO or President, and nearly 20 percent of them don’t have any women at all in upper management.Kelly Love Johnson lays out practical advice for career women who are starting out or who wonder why they’re not moving ahead.
Published January 1st 2008 by skirt!

To ask other readers questions about skirt! Rules for the Workplace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about skirt! Rules for the Workplace

Jeffrey Yamaguchi
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In Skirt! Rules for the Workplace, Kelly Love Johnson insightfully infuses the personal with the office political, provides you with a sharp glass cutter (for the glass ceiling) and a sturdy springboard (to jump the wage gap), and delivers a pantyhose-free kick to immediately take charge of your career. Awesome book. Kelly is a fantastic writer, and she has written an honest and engaging book with a "real world" approach on how to better your career trajectory.
Meghan
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved all the content provided in this book and especially the tone in which Kelly Love Johnson wrote. The only serious gripe I have was that the layout was AWFUL! They superimpose blurbs from the chapter over the actual text. Not only is the superimposed text in pink, it's in really weird fonts that make it extremely difficult to read and it is a little distracting from the true text on the page. However, I think when I re-read it I'll be able to focus a little more on it. Still a good read t ...more
Theresa
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I thought this was a great book for any woman working in today's world. I read it when in came out in 2008 and it was really the kick in the butt I needed to go back to school to get my Master's degree. I work in a field where you have to have the degree to really move up. This is a great book for people in the twenties who are just starting out but it is also very helpful to those who may be re-entering the workforce. Many of the rules have changed in the working world. Don't let the title fool ...more
Megan
Jun 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: small business owners/managers
Recommended to Megan by: Joseph Beth Bookstores (signed)
This book provides good information for women to follow as a general rule like quit backstabbing all of the other women around you, we should be helping each other get to the top not pulling each other down from it. Other than that I do not work in the type of environment she does and do not share the same challenges or opportunities as the author, so the book wasn't much of a help. I would have liked it a bit better if the random bits scrawled across the pages were something other than a senten ...more
Stephanie Dipietro
Oct 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
I was hoping to take away at least one good pointer from this book however I was very disappointed. The format of the book is distracting. I disagree that workers fall into two narrow categories the author proposes.

The author seems to find weakness in the ability to cook and recommends no baking/cooking for work colleagues even if the event it pot luck. Ridiculous! Bet Martha Stewart and Rachel Ray would disagree with this author’s viewpoint.

Jan 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
This is good advice for someone struggling with work or just starting out; however, Johnson's advice often feels limited to cut-throat and high pressure workplaces.

I have to admit I stopped reading the book before the end. I was sharing some of the contradictions and logical fallacies of the book with a few people. I buffered by saying the book had good advice. They asked me what the book told me that I didn't know already. Unable to answer, I moved on to a more productive book.
Amy Dalton
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
It is a quick read. I didn't learn much. Skipped several sections as it seemed like stuff one already knows. I lost faith in the book when one of her first rules was never to bake for your team and if you participate in a potluck only volunteer to bring drinks. Some of her advice I just didn't agree with either.

Tiffany
May 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Very quick and enjoyable read. I would recommend this book to women who are either just starting out in the workplace or those who are trying to move up in the ranks. I don't agree with 100% of what Kelly has to say, but all in all, I think she provides a decent starting point for the ambitious young woman looking for success.
Ashley Bianchi
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for everyone who has a job
Jan
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Not really anything new or earth shattering. Nice reinforcement of the same ideas.
Ducky
Mar 04, 2012
Elisabeth
Sep 16, 2014
Colleen
rated it did not like it
Apr 27, 2013