Start by marking “The Window at the White Cat” as Want to Read:
The Window at the White Cat

The Window at the White Cat

A beautiful girl seeks the help of an attorney when her father vanishes. Before long, her aunt also disappears - from a locked house in the dead of the night. The search leads to THE WHITE CAT, an infamous establishment frequented by crooked politicians. And then - murder.
222 pages
Published September 1965 by Dell Publishing Company (first published December 1910)

To ask other readers questions about The Window at the White Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Window at the White Cat

Hannah
A great Golden Age style mystery, with a sleuth using deduction and just a spice of romance to it. Easy to follow and make guesses with, but hard to guess the right answer.

Content: a few swears
Julie Davis
Relistening - it is just as delightful this time around.

=========

#59 - 2010.

Picked this up from LibriVox and I recommend it highly for the narrration by Robert Keiper which is pure delight. His introduction reads:
When a clumsy, well-meaning lawyer gets involved with a pair of delightful old maids and a beautiful girl, he must acquire some of the skills of his friends the detective and the newspaperman to solve the puzzle of The White Cat. That’s the name of a back-street political club serving b
Bookworm
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spendid. Mr Jack Knox, attorney at law, falls for the beautiful young girl who walks into his office and enlists his help to find her missing father, Mr. Flemming-a polititian. But not being a detective, he also asks for the help of the detective force, and the newspaper reporters.
But the case of a simple disapearance takes on a more serious turn when Mr Flemming is murdered, his spinster sister in-law disappears, valuable pears are stolen, and Miss Flemming's fiance may just possibly be guilt
Andrea Cox
3 stars

This cutesy mystery was intriguing, so it won’t be my last by this new-to-me author.

I disliked the use of bad language, including using the Lord’s name in vain. It’s such lazy, uncreative writing, not to mention disrespectful to one’s audience.

I liked that the author kept me guessing about who did what and why certain things had happened and such. If this is a typical cozy mystery, perhaps I’ll be reading more of them soon. I can definitely see why they are so popular!
Pat Scott
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They don't write like this anymore - unfortunately

today's authors think sex and and blood and convoluted plots make for fine writing. they're wrong. normal characters, believable dialogue, and interesting plots, along with solid writing skills make a book such as The WIndow at the White Cat a timeless classic. Modern readers might bemoan the lack of technology and the difference a cell phone would have made to the story, but this story was written in a different time, with different values. That
Dave Law
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I have become a major fan of Mary Roberts Rinehart books. Though she has been called the American Agatha Christie, I don't think this does her justice. With Agatha Christie, whom I have read and enjoyed, I find the mystery is the core of her stories, whereas with Mary Rinehart the people and psychological element are the core whether she is writing a mystery, romance or drama. In this case the story is a mystery told from the prospective of a lawyer that gets involved in it whom sh ...more
Michele
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and will DEFINITELY be reading more of Ms. Rinehart's books. Refreshing to read a book from this time period that was actually written in this time period.....all details were totally correct and no chance of historical inaccuracies, as the author only knew her own time period.
Vicki Seldon
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Although I had to ignore the early- twentieth century notions of proper upper-middle class behavior and other stereotypical touches, I did enjoy this American drawing-room mystery with its endearing and somewhat bumbling lawyer turned detective and the backdrop of corruption in state politics.
Anna
This was a fun read for an afternoon h0me from work due to an ice storm. I had a little trouble keeping the characters straight, but it didn't distract from the story. As one of the characters in the story says, I was more interested in the romance than the mystery!

Read at Project Gutenberg.
Tim Smith
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yo can read my review at http://tims-reviews.blogspot.com/2018...
Kathy
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Rinehart's good mysteries. Liked the characters. Enjoyed the mystery. I would have given it a different title, maybe "1122" or "The Missing Spinster" or ""How I Met Your Mother." (I guess that last one has been taken...)
Linda
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
After skipping the totally racist parts, I found the story to be engrossing, with kidnappings, murders, suicides, love triangles, missing pearls and eccentric aunts. It was written in a different time and reflected the views of that era.
Bev
Just not a fan of the "Had I But Known School." So, I know, why did I buy it and read it? Because I'm a book-aholic and can't resist a first edition pocket size mystery.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, classics
Marjory Fleming's father is found dead and Jack Knox is bent on solving this mystery...
Cindy
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1900-present
This was a very good mystery. It had a mix of suspense, murder, scandal, crooks, and a woman's revenge. The woman's revenge made the story just a bit nastier, but good. This one will keep you guessing until the end. It was no secret that Allen Fleming had enemies, he was a crook and involved in a scandal. He tried to hide out at his club, The White Cat. Did not quite work out for him. He was found with a bullet in his head. There is a long list of suspects. What drove me crazy, the number 1122 C ...more
Rick Mills
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary Roberts Rinehart can write a dark mystery with humor, a rare combination. As the disappearance and mysterious notes mount up, the character list gets longer and longer as new people, mostly relatives, slide into the story. It is obvious there is skullduggery originating with some banking scams, and centered around the sketchy White Cat, which ostensibly is a "political club" but seems more like a frat house. Jane disappears early on, but seems to be forgotten throughout most of the book. It ...more
Robyn
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, mystery
Free | A bit muddled, but with some humor and a fairly satisfying conclusion. | I had to put this aside for a day, right in the middle of it, and when I returned to it I discovered that some of the names were meaningless to me. That basically never happens when I read--I can pick up a sequel a year after reading a book and remember every character clearly--so I have to assume some of these characters just weren't drawn terribly well. I'd like to have gotten confirmation that the corrupt politici ...more
Candace
I have liked many of Mary Roberts Rinehart's books, which I read years ago, in particular, The Circular Staircase and The Yellow Room (really creeper and sad). This is one I haven't read. It was enjoyable with twists and turns. I did listen to this on Overdrive, and the only weird thing was the story was told from the viewpoint of the detective who was a man, but it was a woman who read the story. Several times I had to remind myself that this was a man who was actually speaking. Jarring. That m ...more
Wetbook
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This deserves more than a 3.5 average star rating. I see a huge number of books with 4+ average rating in which the writing is trite drivel but, by some measure, people consider them "page turners". This book has witty writing with sophisticated turns of phrase, good character development, and a plot that never flags. It was written in the early 20th Cen, so there are elements of the book that are of that time, thus perhaps the lower-than-deserved rating.
Margaret
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A pretty impressive book, especially for being more than 100 years old.
Part of the fun for me was figuring out the current meanings of terms that are no longer used. For example, roundsman and cornerman appearently referred to cops with a beat and--maybe traffic control at intersections?
Recommended.
Christine
I just don’t love mysteries. She says it right in the book—female readers “care a great deal more for the love story than for all the crime and mystery put together.” Gross stereotype aside, that’s me.

I liked some of the humor early in the book; she knows how to turn a phrase. Just not the genre for me.
Joan
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Mary Roberts Rhinehart, known as "the American Agatha Christie", never disappoints. This tale, told by the lawyer asked to investigate the disappearance of a politician, has political intrigue, family secrets, romance, and a social club known as The White Cat.

Although a short book, it contains a lot of action.
Joann
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic mystery

I loved this Mary Roberts Rinehart mystery. It was told from Jack 's point of view and he was very likeable. I loved the main characters . It was a very good mystery with some humor and romance.
LaRae
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, classics
As a child, I always got Agatha Christie books for Christmas, and I would read one Christmas week. Since I've read everything of hers, I picked up this Mary Roberts Rinehart to read around Christmas.

It is an enjoyable Golden Age mystery, and brought me all the nostalgia I was looking for.
Kathie
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly fun read. There are lots of twists and turns, a little romance, and some humor
Terrie Ann
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it. A detective story that used an attorney rather than a detective. I liked that it was written with a sense of humor.
Pooch
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The descriptive writing from another era can be a bit surprising at times!
Diana Woolley
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great mystery full of many twists and turns. Kept me on the edge of my seat to the very end. Very well written!
Corinne
So many characters that I got confused who was who.
Julie
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun writing as always. The storyline however... pretty weak.
  • That Affair Next Door
  • The Seventh Man
  • The House Of A Thousand Candles
  • The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk
  • The Eye of Osiris (Dr. Thorndyke Mysteries #3)
  • The Grey Woman
  • Crispy Critters
  • Death at the Excelsior and Other Stories by P. G. Wodehouse, Fiction, Short Stories
  • Dead Water (Roderick Alleyn, #23)
  • The Middle Temple Murder
  • The Secret of the Night
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • Mrs. Tim Flies Home
  • The Mystery of the Hidden Room
Mary Roberts Rinehart was a prolific author often called the American Agatha Christie. She is considered the source of the phrase "The butler did it", although she did not actually use the phrase herself, and also considered to have invented the "Had-I-But-Known" school of mystery writing.

Rinehart wrote hundreds of short stories, poems, travelogues and special articles. Many of her books and plays
“In my criminal work anything that wears skirts is a lady, until the law proves her otherwise. From the frayed and slovenly petticoats of the woman who owns a poultry stand in the market and who has grown wealthy by selling chickens at twelve ounces to the pound, or the silk sweep of Mamie Tracy, whose diamonds have been stolen down on the avenue...” 1 likes
“Her eyes filled.
"He forgot my birthday, two weeks ago," she said. "It was the first one he had ever forgotten, in nineteen of them."
Nineteen! Nineteen from thirty-five leaves sixteen!”
0 likes