Start by marking “The Eighth Birthday Wish” as Want to Read:
The Eighth Birthday Wish

The Eighth Birthday Wish

Children's fantasy
Picture book in rhyme

Sophia can't sing, but she wants to more than anything. Now it's her eighth birthday, and she braves her way into the cave of the Great Rock Faery, to ask for her wish. But when the Faery does not arrive to meet her, Sophia finds herself faced with the Rock Babies, who want her wish desperately.

What will Sophia decide?
Published (first published July 20th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Eighth Birthday Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eighth Birthday Wish

Lita Burke
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Eighth Birthday Wish by Bruce E. Arrington is a children’s fantasy about a little girl named Sophia who seeks a magical birthday gift from the residents of the Great Rock Faery cave.

Young Sophia is surrounded by siblings that sing well, but she cannot carry a tune. Determined to become the finest songstress, she goes on a journey with her parents to the Great Rock Faery cave. Only she can go inside and pick the singing voice of her dreams from one of the faerie. Problem is that none of them
Wilde Sky
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A child, who can’t sing, goes on an adventure on her birthday to try and find her voice.

I found this poem / story very compelling / interesting and I was guessing right up to the last page whether it would end well or not. The illustrations were very good.

I imagine that children will really love this book.
Marise Ghorayeb
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Eighth Birthday Wish is a delightful story, perfect for small children. It’s about a girl who can’t sing in a family of great singers. For her eighth birthday, she goes on an adventure to make a wish for a beautiful voice. But things don’t work out as she expected and little Sophia finds herself facing a difficult decision.

There’s more adventure and bravery then I expected for a story written for this age, which I thought was a daring move on Mr. Arrington’s part and one that I think childr
Lana Axe
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This charming little tale of a young girl is perfect for young kids. In fact, I read it aloud to my six year old nephew who actually cheered at one point in the story. The story depicts a young girl who desperately wants to learn to sing, so she decides to use her birthday wish for that purpose. What she finds is that helping someone in need is far more important than her own desires. She learns that an act of compassion brings far greater rewards. It's a heartwarming story, and the message for ...more
Alasdair Shaw
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I liked the cover art and was looking forward to a good book for my children. The story is interesting. In particular I liked the predicament of deciding whether the faery was good or bad.
I read it myself for practice with the rhythm, as it is quite tricky to make it scan in places, and then read it to my 7 year old daughter. Unfortunately she asked me to stop after the first few pages as she didn't like it. Perhaps if she had persevered she would have got into the story. I suspect that treating
David Rose
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A wonderful story, I was delighted to find that for me it surpassed even the Seventh Birthday Wish, in content and plot if not in poetry.
Both inspiring and challenging, it is written in verse form and perfectly illustrated with childlike design, which I think will enchant children of this age range.
I so feel it deserves five stars, but I can't - quite - give it that.

I did feel that the vocabulary was occasionally a bit beyond the average eight-year old,
and there were a few places where the metr
Jennifer Moreland
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The love shines through in this sweet, tender little story about finding your heart's desire and putting others above yourself. The engaging rhymes, coupled with colorful, hand-painted folk-style illustrations, carry adults and children along together. I loved the Rock Babies!!!! I can't get over how cute that name is for the concept! This is a fun story children will enjoy hearing and parents will enjoy reading aloud.

I was provided with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Ann Girdharry
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sophie's search for her birthday wish takes an unexpected turn - which will require her to be brave and daring. A children's book with 'Dr Suess' tones.

I enjoyed reading this little book. The illustrations are lovely and I liked the story idea of Sophie facing an unexpected challenge and the fairies turning out to not be all sugar and sweet.

I received a copy of this book for an honest, non reciprocal review.

Leah
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
It was a cute story and I liked that there was the little choice of do you make a wish for yourself or for someone else. But it was a bit weird with the adventure the the fairies that seemed a bit creepy to me. Maybe it is just me but I wasn't really in love with it as much as I was hoping.
Bruce
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Bruce
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Frederick Rotzien
Maureen Bell
Nov 05, 2014
Kay Butz
Nov 06, 2014
Bruce takes your average, everyday characters and upends their lives through unusual and powerful circumstances. He authored the teen Josh Anvil series, the Fallen Powers series and shorter stories.
Visit online at www.pipedreambooks.com and
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PipeDreamBooks/