Start by marking “Sensible and Sensational (The Jane Austen Diaries, #6)” as Want to Read:
Sensible and Sensational (The Jane Austen Diaries, #6)

Sensible and Sensational

(The Jane Austen Diaries #6)

When Ellyn Dashwood’s family moves to Bloomfield, NM, she’s not sure she’ll fit in as easily as her wildly popular twin sister, Maralyn, will. Though they’re identical, since the day they were born, the two sisters were exact opposites. Maralyn attracted people to her like bees to a hive. However, with Ellyn’s autism, she’s positive she’ll never be considered more than awk ...more
Published June 30th 2015 by Trifecta Books

To ask other readers questions about Sensible and Sensational, please sign up.
Nina Ask at your library and see if they are a part of the Interlibrary loan system.

Jenni James
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

FINALLY! Book 6 of 9 is here!!!

Ellyn Dashwood has high functioning autism. Her world is centered around an orderly pattern. She uses logic, caution and sense to understand everything she faces. Meanwhile, her identical twin sister is an incredibly popular, smart, drama-loving teen--the direct opposite.

My middle son is on the autism spectrum, so this has been a fascinating journey to write a book that can take you to the heart of a main character with autism and truly learn to relate to her. I h
June
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I want to say this has been my favorite of the Jane Austen Diaries written by Jenni James, but I've loved them all about equally. I think it's the fact that the story is from Ellyn's point of view and I totally loved both Skyler and Zane.
Amel Armeliana
It's cute and fun to read, but not my favorite of The Jane Austen's Diaries Series. It supposed to be a quick read but I kinda struggled in the middle so I put it aside for awhile. But overall, it's a good story :)
Kristen
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another fun one to this series. I absolutely adored Zane even with his having the secret girlfriend. Having a nephew with aspergers my heart ached for Ellyn and helped me understand my him more. Great addition, glad to hear more are coming.

Moral Note: clean
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
it was good,
nothing like the 1st 3 books. readers could be diappointed
Lindsey
Ok so this obviously is not a book that was published very professionally. While I think the writing is alright, the editing in the book is just plain awful. As far as a Jane Austen retelling goes, this is no masterpiece. The pacing is quick and the characters are hardly fleshed out. But it’s cute.

I bought it for my 7th grade students who are interested in reading Jane Austen, but just aren’t quite at the level to be able to understand her writing yet. I want them to have the opportunity to und
Leah
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
jane Austen is one of my favourite authors, so when i discovered that there was a book retelling two of my favourtie heroines could not wait to see how the charactors where dealt with.
the story started out quite good, the sisters are now twins and the whole section with the older half brother has been written out. the story did build up quite well certain parts i felt dragged a bit i felt that some of the emotions that the sister went through in the original story where not full captured.
overral
Ritika Chhabra
Oh, this was amazing! I have not read the original book on which this book was placed but dang, I still loved it! Ellyn was such a different character and Zane? Zane? Can I even say anything about Zane? He was so annoyingly, brattingly, crappishly amazing that I could not help but fall in love with him. Oh, how I love him right now and sure, the story began with a lot of heartbreak and all but I guess that is something that we all needed. And I loved it <3
Cathy
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Autism in Love

This book has a special place in my heart because the heroine had autism and I have a son with autism. I loved how the heroine was portrayed, a sweet natured, gifted, thoughtful young lady that falls in love. I love that the hero could see who she REALLY was and felt her autism was a gift and made her the special young lady she was. Very enjoyable young adult read. Highly recommended for young and old a like. So sweet!!
Marsha
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Sensible and Sensational by Jenni James

I really loved this sweet little twin love story from Jenni James. I was so upset to see Harrison return, but am super excited for his departure. Let's hope he stays gone. I very much enjoyed how James address Autism in all kinds of relationships in this one. I do so love how she always gives us an HEA, this time two.
Megan Welch
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing, just like all of Jenni James' other books. I loved that the main character had autism though, because I had no idea what that's like. The romance was clean and it was perfect for my age! I loved the characters and all the surprises in the plot. Anyone looking for a clean romance needs to read this one!
Betsy Owens
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done

I enjoyed how J. James dealt with autism in this story. She did a marvelous job of creating a new story based on Austen’s masterpiece.
Kim
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh. This book didn't do much for me. I felt it was abrupt and the story line didn't flow. The relationship building between characters felt like a stretch. Not my favorite book by Jenni James.
Erin
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved how autism made it make sense
Melanie
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this installment in the Jane Austen Diaries. It was a cute romance, and I really enjoyed it!! :)
Jessica Kofoed
LOVED IT
Monique
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
It was really cute! The only problem I had was with the writing:/
Mackenzie
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
It had been so long since the last book was published, I almost forgot about this series. If fact, the only book I have a fairly clear memory of is Mansfield Ranch which was my least favorite of the series. Unless my memory is way off, I'm pretty sure it is the only book that this one shares characters with too, which is a shame since I fell in love with this series because of the characters in the first 4 books published. (Update: I went back and re-read the books in order to see if any others ...more
Pascale
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was instantly drawn to this story because the main character has Autism. And she's a girl. High functioning Autism in girls is quite rare. I was intrigued, as a mom of kids with H.F ASD kids myself, to read a romance of this nature. I'm glad I read it. The author did a pretty good job of portraying it. I enjoyed it.
Anna
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
ASD & Jane Austen Birth New Perspectives

This book, like the rest in the series, is a straight forward modern day telling of Austen's book. Jenni James is always fun and really gives the characters in this story their own voices. I love that the main character, Ellyn, has high functioning autism. The author takes us into her mind and shows us what makes sense and doesn't, what is a challenge to her and how she deals with it. Everyone that sees the world through autism is different, but I love
Amariah Dixon
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is probably my most favorite book out of the Jane Austen Diaries!! In certain aspects, I could really relate to Ellyn and her struggles with acceptance. Zane is such a great guy and depicts the "perfect" boyfriend. I teared up at the end and simply felt all of Ellyn's emotions in all that she went through. Once I started this book, I could not stop. It is a beautiful story and certainly one to be cherished. The romance did not feel rushed, but perfectly paced, in my opinion. The characters ...more
Elizabeth Newsom
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book opens with Ellyn and her family moving. Ellyn has autism and is positive she'll be overlooked in the shadow of her identical twin, Maralyn, who's outgoing, flirtatious, and popular--no matter where she is. Then Zane comes along and prefers Ellyn, much to her surprise. He's kind attractive, smart, strong--everything a girl could want. But he also has a history that could tear them apart. This was a fun, short read. I'm not sure I could pull off a main character having autism, but Jenni J ...more
Elaina
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a fantastic book!This is about twins teenage girls and their mom moving into a new place after their dad died. one of the twins is autistic. It definitely takes you inside of an autistic person. Just reading how this teenager thinks and acts to stuff opens my eyes to what my son is dealing with since he has sensory disorder. This is such a sweet, fun, silly, charming and wonderful read. Thanks for a wonderful read!
Whitni
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great book!

I have loved all of her Jane Austen books. This was a very cute story and a very quick read. I have a nephew and several friends with varying form of autism and so it was sweet to see the different kid get a happy ending. Some parts didn't seem very realistic but this was a sweet story so I didn't read too much I to it.
Kathryn
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this fun read with the twist from jane Austen's original. Twins, maralyn and Ellyn dashwood's worlds fell apart when their father died and they have to move to a new school their senior year. Maralyn adjusts more easily as she's more outgoing. Ellyn, who lives with autism has a harder time adjusting without her father's reassurance, until Zane comes into play. Great story.
Amber
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Still not my favorite in the series, however I cried at a few places do to understanding Ellyn feelings. I too have a child with autism and I ache when I can't understand what he is trying to express or say. We definitely need to use "Zane hug therapy" as much as we can to show them how much we truly love them.
Emily
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable read. I thought the premise of the book was very interesting. I liked the characters. I thought it was pretty ingenious to bring back Harrison Crawford (from Mansfield Ranch) to play the role of the scoundrel Willoughby. I have liked how the characters in all the books have been intertwined.
Ruby Straaten
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I finally got around to reading the finished version of this (I had read this on Wattpad when Jenni was writing it) and I absolutely loved it!
The main character is autistic and I have never read a book where I got in the mind of the character so well.
Jenni did an amazing job making sure that you felt exactly like Ellyn did and I absolutely loved this book!

• With a Kiss
  • Altar-Ed Plans
  • Pride and Precipitation (Chick Flick Clique Romantic Comedy #1)
  • Twice in a Lifetime (Rebekka, #3)
  • Four Chambers (Power of the Matchmaker)
  • The Truth About Running
  • To Move the World
  • Masquerade
  • The Wife Maker (The Husband Maker, #3)
  • Earning Eternity
  • Between Heaven and Earth
  • A Safe Space (Someone Else's Fairytale, #3.5)
  • Sweetened with Honey (A Farm Fresh Romance #3)
CLEAN ROMANCE FOR TEENS:

*The Jane Austen Diaries*
Pride & Popularity (Aug 2011)
Persuaded (Aug. 2012)
Emmalee (Jan 2013)
Mansfield Ranch (Dec 2013)
Northanger Alibi (Feb. 2012)
Sensible & Sensational (July 2015)
Sand & Sun (2016)

Cinderella
Hansel and Gretel
Jack and the Beanstalk
Snow

The Jane Austen Diaries (6 books)
  • Pride & Popularity (The Jane Austen Diaries, #1)
  • Northanger Alibi (The Jane Austen Diaries, #2)
  • Persuaded (The Jane Austen Diaries, #3)
  • Emmalee (The Jane Austen Diaries, #4)
  • Mansfield Ranch (The Jane Austen Diaries Book 5)