Start by marking “Knave of Broken Hearts (Love in Laguna, #2)” as Want to Read:
Knave of Broken Hearts (Love in Laguna, #2)

Knave of Broken Hearts

(Love in Laguna #2)

Jim Carney has a full time job—running from himself. Since he walked out on his wealthy family at sixteen because he’d wrecked his best friend’s life over some yaoi graphic novels, Jim has lived a macho, blue-collar existence of too much booze and too little responsibility. Then Billy Ballew, the man Jim most admires, gives Jim a chance to come through as his construction ...more
Published August 3rd 2015 by Dreamspinner Press LLC

Julio Genao
Aug 28, 2015 marked it as no
gay men as rape barbies: the definitive case.

fuck spoiler tags—dis some mind-poison right hurr. i'm out for blood.

description

so, this book is a gigantic no for me.

why, you ask?

because this reviewer said:

I hated that Ken was [roofied and almost gang-banged (hated only because I really liked Ken and the scene had me practically climbing the walls praying Jim would get there in time), but I hated it more that Jim and Ken didn't report the fuckers. I really hated that. Like, what? Then I hated it even more th
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
3 very conflicted stars... I'll tag any spoilers ahead.

Gahhh! What to say?! Parts of this story were REALLY good, just like the incredibly charming Knight of Ocean Avenue. However, parts of this book made me want to tear my hair out.

Some people categorize this as a gay-for-you... it really isn't. Only someone deaf, dumb, and blind wouldn't have realized they were gay for 27 years when they secretly wacked off to yaoi and had trouble getting erections with women. Jim, come on, man.

I liked Jim,
Gigi
This is the second book in the Love in Laguna series. The first book, Knight of Ocean Avenue, is one of my favorite books of 2015. This book is quite different than the first book. While both stories center around men discovering their sexually later in life, the characters were like night and day.

Jim Carney is one of Billy Ballew’s hardest working construction workers. We met him in book one and in book two he is entrusted with a large project while Billy and Shaz are on their honeymoon. (Yay!)
BWT (Belen)
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-fiction, 2015
ETA: ...months later.

Okay, I've calmed down.

Due to several scenes including drunk driving, attempted sexual assault, sexual assault, miscommunication, and gross stupidity this story was not one that I ultimately enjoyed.

Though I did like several of the characters that was not enough to see past the negative aspects for me.

Original rant and expletive filled review:
(view spoiler)
Catherine
The writing style and editing didn't suck, and I liked the secondary characters Constance and Ian, but this book made me increasingly ragey with every page I read.

There is so much dafuqery in this book, it would take far too much time to outline it all. All I'll say is that I pretty much only recommend this for readers who don't mind the fact that the main character (Jim) sexually assaults the other main character (Ken)... twice.

Consent - it's a thing, y'all.

Macky
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

Out of all the books I've read and loved by Tara, the Love in Laguna series is turning out to be a real fave. In fact Knight of Ocean Avenue was such a fabulous read I think I'd probably have to say it's my top Tara Lain read up to now, so a pretty hard act to follow. Knave of Broken Hearts might not have quite matched up to Billy and Shaz's story, which was utterly delightful, but it wasn't far behind.

Once again this engaging opposites attracts/GFY story, had the trademark pairing o
Alex is The Romance Fox
DNF 60%
I loved Tara Lain’s Genetic Attraction Series and I was expecting this book to be as good as those…but Oh My Goodness!!! I’m sorry Ms Lain…but I just did not like Knave of Broken Hearts (Love in Laguna, #2) …I really tried to like it…but I gave up around 60%!!
I could not get into any of the characters….Ken…a doctor??? Really??? Didn’t feel real to me.
Jim…what, he’s GFY??? Never!! He’s been j@##$$ off when he looks at Yaoi pictures!!! What the hell are those I asked myself…so off I went go
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧°**★°**★
3 Yaoi Stars

Why 3 stars......well, after a few days of pondering this book, I find it is what it is. 3 stars, and yes, it's hard to rate because I waited on pins and needles for this book. Gosh, I was so excited to get my hands on it. And, I could not believe that I did not feel the love as others did.

Ok....

BEWARE*******Possible Spoilers ******BELOW

What did not work for me...

1.The overuse of Yaoi mixed Asian descriptors. No, just no....it just set the book off on in the wrong direction for m
Heller
2.75

I didn't connect with the characters like I did in the first book.

There's a lot going on here and I found that the relationship between Jim and Ken felt lost in the shuffle and a bit of an afterthought once all the other bits and pieces were sorted through.
Karen
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-mm
'Knave of Broken Hearts' is the second book in Tara Lain's 'Love in Laguana' series and sadly it came up as second rate when all was said and done. There were issues many, many issues and if you want a full accounting of them just carry on reading the reviews posted here because I'm going to address the issue that while it was not as relevant as others it still struck a cord with me and that issue is the parents in this book. All told we encountered 3 different sets of parents first we have Ken' ...more
Ayanna
Aug 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
BIG red flag in the blurb: "his yaoi dream comes to life in the form of cardiologist Ken Tanaka"

Excuse you, but Asians are not your "exotic" sex dreams. Get your fetishizing whitey Orientalist shit out of my face.
*laments* when is Orientalism going to go out of style? *looks around pointedly at recent Met exhibit* apparently not yet...

See, there's a reason I don't tend to like reading things, especially M/M, with Asian characters, and I'm looking at a prime example.
Also, wow, "Ken is a major pla
Kim
1 "That's sexual assault. MULTIPLE TIMES?!" star

I'm fucking shocked. I liked the first book in this series and was really looking forward to reading the sequel. I enjoyed how the author portrayed Chase in Book 1 as feminine but strong. This book just went completely sideways around 40% and then was downright awful after that. I rarely give 1 star reviews. And I mean rarely. So here's why...

(view spoiler)
Alvin
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was supposed to hate this story. Jim & Ken are not the most likable MCs. A denial closet queen, a gay player, both of them can't get their heads out of their asses, can't stand up against people who are bringing them down... You know...

But I felt their story can happen for real. I know a lot of men have their struggles in coming out and settling down. So instead of getting annoyed at them, I was unconsciously sympathetic to them. The story was quite authentic.

Another thing, like Knight of
Gina
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another fav from Tara Lain!

Ms. Lain is becoming a auto-buy author!
Amarilli Settantatre
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-romance
In una sola parola: delizioso. Terzo libro che leggo di quest'autrice (il secondo nella serie "Love in Laguna") e devo dire che adoro il suo modo di porgere le storie, con delicatezza e un filo di ironia, senza sfumare gli aspetti dolorosi ma insistendo comunque sulle cose belle.
Ecco, libri così ti fanno bene.

Jim è un personaggio a cui ci si affeziona, è una gran brava persona ed è pure un bravo fratello. Ce la mette tutta per essere all'altezza, dopo che per troppo tempo non è stato ritenuto ta
Deeze
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: would-read-again
Another sweet and satisfying story.

I liked Jim, despite sometimes getting a little frustrated with his not being gay while getting off on gay manga thing. But he is still a good guy that tries so hard to do the right thing, even if he does it the wrong way.

Ken was sweet, but I really wanted him to stand up to his mother or have her see what she was doing to him.

As for the big nasty I really wish Ken had joined up with the others to support them. I get the feeling they were not as lucky as Ken.
Chris Hernandez
I didn't like it so much. It was a far cry compared to the first book. It was very low on steam and their love story was so stretched I somewhat lost interest in the story. But it's still okay, I mean, i did love how Jim's struggle about his sexualiy was written.
Lisa J.
Ken is a successful cardiologist, who is also a player. He meets in-the-closet Jim at a wedding, and it's major lust at first sight.

That's about all these guys had going for them.

There was not much romance in this book. At the 60 percent mark, the MCs had barely spent any time together nor engaged in a real conversation. Their relationship had no substance. But they did have that lust thing.

If only that had been hot and enough to carry the book, but the sex left me cold. During the first sexual
Anna Kļaviņa
Aug 29, 2015 marked it as not-my-cuppa
*looks at friends' reviews*

And

[...]he’d wrecked his best friend’s life over some yaoi graphic novels

First thing first, there is a difference between graphic novels, manga and comics.

2nd, I'm afraid, it's going to sound stupid/sexist/judgmental but I've to ask: yaoi? Really?!

Anke
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was a very nice read - up until about 60%, then it started losing me completely. As it became totally predictable, I started skimming and so I was able to finish it. It would have been a 3 star read, but at some point it aggravated me that much, I had to reduce my rating by one star.
Not sure, whether I'll read the next book.

Victoria  love books
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Overall book rating: 4.4 My heart stars
Audio book: Narrator - K.C. Kelly 4 Stars
Book cover: 3 Stars

I love this book!!!! For me it was better than the first one, Yes I am not big in "fem" books but I liked it but this one was better for me.

Jim Carney was just - shame I felt so sorry for him. His father what a tool!!!! And I just fell in love Ken Tanaka.
El Ma
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

und ja, ich habe beim 2. Lesen meine Meinung geändert :-)
Maria
Jul 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: oh-hell-no, m-m
So. I'm sufficiently pumped full of pain killers to finally write this review without giving a fuck anymore. If you feel like I'm yelling the whole time despite having already calmed down a bit? You're right.

The short version is: I hated this book. I hated it with a vengeance and the only reason I finished it at all is that I wanted to get the complete fucked up picture before starting my rant.

The long version will contain spoilers on top of spoilers, although in this case, I'd like to think o
Elyxyz
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Voto: 4.5
Il primo volume di questa serie mi è piaciuto tantissimo, e questo non è da meno. Ve li consiglio entrambi, anche se sono collegati solo marginalmente, perché qui si riparte proprio con il matrimonio di Billy e Shaz, i nostri vecchi protagonisti che hanno coronato il loro sogno d’amore.
Billy, prima di partire per la luna di miele, affida la supervisione della sua neonata impresa edile al suo elettricista, l’impenitente scapolo Jim. Lui, malgrado si senta un tipo poco affidabile, non vuo
Lelyana
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
*** 3 YAOI STARS ***

Dr.Kenji Tanaka

Jim Carney the blue collar.

Well, I read yaoi. And reading this is like reading a yaoi in a novel.
I mean, the conflict, the drama, the stupidity of the MCs, the drama, the clumsy sex, the drama...
Did I mentioned 'drama'? Yeah, that. Complete with a denials, and some fucked up repeated twist.
I mean, come on, Ken and Jim are both adult, Ken, with very high education, and Jim, well, Jim. Both are easily manipulated by almost everyone.

Ken is like a ken doll in yaoi
Nerea
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I can't bear the wrong use of the word "yaoi" . It hurts when I read "yaoi eyes" " yaoi man " " yaoi teddybear" .... I think this book would be better without the yaoi/Hero obssesion parts! They don't match with the rest of the plot in my opinion :/

Btw I liked the two MCs and their story <3
Federica Lemme
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the second of the Laguna series. Don’t worry if you have not read the first book of this amazing series, it can be read very successfully as a stand alone, but be warned, you are going to want to read book 1!
I was convinced the second book of the series would be about Ru, but when I discovered it was about Jim, I certainly wasn’t disapponted.
The MCs are a bit different from the first book, Billy and Chaz were estremely positive characters, but Jim and Ken are maybe more complex?
Elyxyz
definitely recommend !
DaisyGirl
May 03, 2015 marked it as dnf
DNF'ed @ 46%

From roofies to rape? I'm done.

Bottom line: No way.
  • Newton's Laws of Attraction (Newton's Laws of Attraction, #1)
  • How to Wish Upon a Star (Howl at the Moon, #3)
  • The Imperfection of Swans
  • David's Selfie
  • Frog
  • Dissonance (Blue Notes, #6)
  • By the Creek
  • Sweet Giordan, Please Remember (Hearts in Reverie #1)
  • Fourth and Long
  • Disasterology 101
  • Stones in the Road (Sugar Tree #2)
  • Different Strokes
  • Black John (Johnnies, #4)
  • Rise & Fall (THIRDS, #4)
  • Cast Off (Toronto Tales, #3)
  • Life, Some Assembly Required (The Rebuilding Year, #2)
  • The Coil
  • Conscious Decisions of the Heart (More Heat Than the Sun, #2)
Tara Lain never met a beautiful boy she didn’t love – at least on paper. A writer of erotic romance, mostly ménage and male/male, Tara loves all her characters, but especially her handsome heroes. A lifelong writer of serious non-fiction, Tara had the first novel she ever wrote accepted for publication in 2011. She’s now on book 45 and counting. After an exotic life of travel all over the world an ...more

Love in Laguna (5 books)
  • Knight of Ocean Avenue (Love in Laguna, #1)
  • Prince of the Playhouse (Love in Laguna, #3)
  • Lord of a Thousand Steps (Love in Laguna, #4)
  • Fool of Main Beach (Love in Laguna, #5)