Start by marking “Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  46,023 ratings  ·  5,139 reviews
You can't spell truth without Ruth.
Only Ruth Bader Ginsburg can judge me.
The Ruth will set you free.

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg never asked for fame—she was just trying to make the world a little better and a little freer. But along the way, the feminist pioneer's searing dissents and steely strength have inspired millions. Notorious RBG: The Life and Times o
Hardcover, First edition, 240 pages
Published October 27th 2015 by Dey Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Notorious RBG, please sign up.
Ann Absolutely. Comprehensive both legally and personally and darn inspirational. Amazing woman and a book that shows the many reasons why.
Ringo Yes. As a high school English teacher I would absolutely recommend this book for my students. The excerpts and commentary from RBG's dissents makes th…moreYes. As a high school English teacher I would absolutely recommend this book for my students. The excerpts and commentary from RBG's dissents makes the legal process very accessible for young people. Her fight for equality is really just that, showing that any perceived advantages won by women or racial minority groups are beneficial to ALL of society - this concept is one that high school students don't always grasp.

RBG inspires because she is quietly, doggedly determined and very, very intelligent, not because she's glamorous. In some ways she's quite conventional - middle class, married young and stayed married, had two kids, went to university and got a job, didn't kick up a fuss early on when she knew she was being treated unfairly. She's not the usual kind of role model we hold up to young people (less)

·  46,023 ratings  ·  5,139 reviews

Start your review of Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Rachael
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
For every millennial who thinks Lena Dunham is an important feminist, pick up this tidy gem of the feminist movement and fucking digest. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is bae.
Petra-X
I'm not a feminist although I was once until I realised that I didn't want to stop at having equal opportunities and rewards in a man's world. I wanted the world to become more female-centric. Women and men are quite different in many ways, we have strengths and priorities and ways of working things out, and now we've tried the man's way, let's move on to the women's.

When I read that Ruth Bader Ginsburg said, "“Women will only have true equality when men share with them the responsibility of br
Miranda Reads
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
description
I saw another review do this, but I totally agree:

5 stars for the woman, 3 stars for the book
Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a modern woman before her time.

She was a lawyer, a mother, a wife, and a supreme court justice - all during a time when women were expected to sit down and be quiet.
Sometimes people say unkind or thoughtless things, and when they do, it is best to be a litt
carol.
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Ruth, people interested in courts and decisions, feminists
Recommended to carol. by: Alfred Haplo
I'm still mad at RBG.

Appointed by Clinton in 1993, Ruth was only the second female on the Supreme Court (That's right, kids: the mens used to think that mixing a career and family was too much for us. It wasn't until 1993 that we had enough juice to play in the most powerful court. Did you vote for Hilary?).

Ruth Bader Ginsberg has acquired a bit of a cult following since then, perhaps because our perceptions of both petite, reticent women, and elderly women don't always square with the powerhou
Brandice
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a quick read about you guessed it, Supreme Court Justice, RBG. She is an educated, determined, fair woman responsible for helping to effect great change in the U.S. As a bonus, each chapter in the book is titled with a Notorious B.I.G song lyric.

RBG held multiple positions, including serving as a law professor at Rutgers and Columbia, prior to her SCOTUS appointment in 1993. She was no stranger to the old boys club, gender discriminati
Iris P
Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg

“So now the perception is, yes, women are here to stay. And when I’m sometimes asked when will there be enough [women on the Supreme Court]? And I say when there are nine, people are shocked. But there’d been nine men, and nobody’s ever raised a question about that.”

“Women will only have true equality when men share with them the responsibility of bringing up the next generation.”
Ruth Bader Ginsburg

**********************************
Tamara Kramer
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This delightful book is a love letter to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. A well-written look into the work she has done on behalf of women for the past 55+ years (it was conversational while obviously incredibly well-researched, and as a reformed lawyer I appreciated the way the authors described the legal system in a way that was both accurate AND accessible), as well as a beautiful tribute to her marriage to Marty Ginsburg. I cried several times, was inspired to fight harder for the things I beli ...more
Jamise // Spines & Vines
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I originally gave this delightful book a 4 star rating. As I started thinking of my review an overwhelming sense of enjoyment came over me as I remembered my feelings as I read this story. Therefore, I'm changing my rating to 5 stars.

Notorious RBG gives you a glimpse inside the life and iconic career of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. After reading this book, my level of respect for Justice Ginsburg deepened. She's a true feminist who has lived her life as a die hard champion for civil rights, wome
Ian
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I suspect I'm giving 5 Stars to RBG rather than the book.
What a woman.
I don't cheer at the end of movies. I think it's dumb. I just want to say, "They can't hear you!!!"
But I felt like cheering after reading a few of her dissents.
She's all class.

...and I guess the book is okay.
Kelli
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn’t love the structure of this book, mostly because it was very reminiscent of a textbook and also, I didn’t really get the Notorious B.I.G. piece. I understood it but I didn’t really get how it added anything. Then again, I’m not the intended audience.

RBG is a badass. She deserves all respect, attention, accolades and (potentially) her cult status. I’d rock an RBG t-shirt. I’m not sure why she didn’t in the photos. That would’ve been epic!

5 stars for the woman, 3 stars for the book.
Taryn
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
I had just finished listening to Notorious RBG when news broke of Antonin Scalia’s death, and I’m glad for it, because I had a much more nuanced reaction than I would have had without the benefit of the insider knowledge Carmon and Knizhnik provide about the unlikely friendship between outspoken Reagan appointee Scalia and surprise feminist icon Ginsburg. It would have been much easier to write Scalia off as a blowhard conservative (which part of me still believes he was), but clearly RBG saw so ...more
Lisa
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Anyway, hope springs eternal. If I lose today, there's hope that tomorrow will be better." RBG, 2012

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: March 15, 1993 - September 18, 2020
I'm finding some comfort and inspiration browsing through my copy of "Notorious RBG" this morning.
Diane
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is such an inspiring person — she's spent much of her law career working toward empowering women and seeking gender equality.

This book is filled with good stories and photographs about RBG's life. My favorite parts were about her experiences as a female law student, the gender discrimination cases she's worked on, and stories about her marriage to Marty, who was by all accounts an amazing husband and partner.

I highly recommend this b
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

5 stars for the woman, 3 stars for the book.

The book itself was a bit dry with an awkward structure and a dull narrator, but the content was fascinating. I started this audiobook to try to learn more about RBG and I certainly accomplished that. However, I think the formatting could have been a bit more compelling. I think I'll continue reading more about RBG as her personal and professional career is #inspiration.

goodreads|instagram|twitter|blog
Connie G
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Co-author Shana Knizhnik created a blog in 2013 devoted to the Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. The millennial NYU law student set up the blog as "fan-nonfiction" after Ginsburg read several liberal dissents from the bench. The late Notorious BIG was a famous rapper, and the blog name "Notorious RBG" is a play on his name. The blog was fresh, colorful, and celebrated Ginsburg's contributions to feminism, equal rights, and voting rights. The blog led to the publication of this book seve ...more
Liz
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a selection of one of my book clubs. I admit it's not a book I would have chosen to read on my own. And it starts off very dry. Still, it does a good job of conveying her ideas on how the law should work and how it should be changed, especially why Roe v. Wade continues to be at risk of being overturned. So many of both the cases she argued and the ones she opined on concern women’s equality issues.
The Chapter on her marriage is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face. And then a few
Rachel Reads Ravenously
5 stars!

It's hard for me to put into words what this book means to me. Many of you know I am a liberal and a feminist, so me enjoying this book is not a great surprise. I am not normally a nonfiction reader, but I devoured this book. I found myself slamming my finger on certain sentences and saying out loud "yes, exactly this" or actually physically rolling my eyes at some of
Adam
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars would probably be more accurate, but eh. Ginsburg is an excellent subject for a biography, but I get the feeling that the author of this book just didn't want to work very hard. Which, you know, fine, it's called "Notorious RBG" so it's obviously not supposed to be the last definitive word or anything, but a bit more depth would be nice.

Here's an example: one chapter ends with Ginsburg leaving America for Sweden to live for a year and research a book on Swedish civil procedure. This
Trish
It is hard to argue with Antonin Scalia when he described Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg as “an intelligent woman and a nice woman and a considerate woman—all the qualities you like in a person.” Add to that, she is a persistent person and a principled person and a fair person—all the qualities you want in a lawyer.

This work is an act of homage. When R.B.G. gave two dissents on one day, on June 25, 2013, fans of her opinions started drawing, composing songs, writing poems. She inspire
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$2.99 Kindle sale, Nov. 29, 2019: bio of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. My law firm has about a dozen women attorneys in it, and we had a memorable evening last year when we went as a group to see the RBG movie about her life. Regardless of your political leanings, she's an intelligent, fascinating and accomplished lawyer and person.
Jessica Jeffers
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography-memoir
This is a fun, informative examination into the life of one of my personal heroes. It doesn't give the kind of depth that an academic bio would provide, but it gets the job done with humor and admiration.

Now there's a coloring book, so I guess I'm gonna have to jump on that trend:
Linda
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Notorious RBG is more of a tribute than a traditional biography. It provides a vivid portrait of an amazing woman, the first female Supreme Court Justice whose legal career made life better for women throughout the US.

The book is written in a light, lively style and provides an overview of her early life. It chronicles the obstacles faced by Ruth Bader Ginsberg (born in 1933) and the women of her era. The authors also give kudos to her husband, Marty Ginsberg, a maverick in his own right, w
Amanda
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, non-fiction

A few things I took away from this delightful book that should convince you to read about an amazing woman.

RBG is in her 80’s and does 20 push-ups a day. 20 PUSH-UPS A DAY. If that doesn’t tell you she’s a bad-ass that you should want to read about, read on.

This woman was a mother of a 1 year-old, 1 of 9 women in her class at Harvard law when her husband Marty was diagnosed with cancer. Marty was also a law student, a year ahead of RBG at Harvard. RBG cam
Montzalee Wittmann
Yes, she is our gal!

Notorious RBG is a very informative book about this wonderful, smart, just, remarkable, leader, and beautiful woman! This book takes you through her personal life, education, career, and achievements. It is also packed with pictures, man oh man, she was a beauty not just a brain! She is still very stylish! A true hero for women and men!
Jill Mackin
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s RBG, of course, it was an amazing read. The author included a number of Justice Ginsburg’s decisions. What a trail blazer she is for the rights of women.
Matt
Sep 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
Even more important that I read this now. You will be missed, RBG. Give Scalia hell for us 😉
Kevin Lopez
More panegyric than dispassionate biography, Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsberg, doesn’t pretend to be anything other than what it is: an affectionate paean and lovingly composed tribute to a larger-than-life figure and era-defining jurist. Though admittedly I was at first looking for a conventional biography of the more boring and drily academic sort, reading this was so much more satisfying—a welcome tonic after the crushingly tragic loss of Justice Ginsberg last month. P ...more
Kelly Hager
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I knew before I read this book that I liked Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. But I wasn't very familiar with her before she became a justice on the Supreme Court. (Given her age and the fact that she was only the second female justice---and the fact that there have only been four---I knew she was a trailblazer, but I didn't understand just how amazing her life has been.)

The book includes excerpts of opinions she's written and has a lot of pictures, but the real joy (for me) is in learning more about
Jessica
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had to put this down quite a few times and choke down rage over the legal and social discrimination women (and men) faced, but I'd pick it up again and then be relieved to see how RBG came at the cases methodically, working incrementally to dismantle a system that saw women as property or less worthy (or men as less worthy of being caretakers!). I had no idea she'd been with the ACLU, and her decades-long love affair with her husband was beautiful to read about. I really, really recommend this ...more
Don Bradshaw
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
An amazing book about a totally remarkable individual who has given so much to this country. Her devotion to the constitution is unfailing. There are numerous pictures that follow RBG through her life. At 83 she has faced monumental adversity yet came back stronger and more determined every time. With no desire to retire from the bench, I can only look forward to great things from this irrepressible woman.

• My Own Words
  • Conversations with RBG: Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Life, Love, Liberty, and Law
  • Under the Tulip Tree
  • So You Want to Talk About Race
  • The Truths We Hold: An American Journey
  • White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
  • How to Be an Antiracist
  • Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man
  • Rage
  • Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents
  • Sisters in Law: How Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg Went to the Supreme Court and Changed the World
  • Untamed
  • The Last Story of Mina Lee
  • Anxious People
  • The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream
  • Becoming
  • The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness
  • Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America
Irin Carmon is an Israeli-American journalist and commentator. She is a national reporter at MSNBC, covering women, politics, and culture for the website and on air. She is a Visiting Fellow in the Program for the Study of Reproductive Justice at Yale Law School.

In 2011, she was named one of Forbes' "30 under 30" in media and featured in New York Magazine as a face of young feminism. She received

Articles featuring this book

“The pedestal upon which women have been placed has all too often, upon closer inspection, been revealed as a cage.” 64 likes
“The decision whether or not to bear a child is central to a woman’s life, to her well-being and dignity,” she said simply. “It is a decision she must make for herself. When government controls that decision for her, she is being treated as less than a fully adult human responsible for her own choices.” 36 likes