Start by marking “How to Save an Undead Life (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Save an Undead Life (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #1)

How to Save an Undead Life

(The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  4,694 ratings  ·  397 reviews
Grier Woolworth spends her nights weaving spooky tales of lost souls and tragedies for tourists on the streets of downtown Savannah. Hoop skirt and parasol aside, it's not a bad gig. The pay is crap, but the tips keep the lights on in her personal haunted mansion and her pantry stocked with ramen.

Life is about as normal as it gets for an ex-necromancer hiding among humans.
Published August 19th 2017 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about How to Save an Undead Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Save an Undead Life

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of How to Save an Undead Life (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #1)
Jilly
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cool! I got to use my "zombies" bookshelf for a change. Even better? That zombie is a parakeet. I think I'm in love with a bird.

"I came to retrieve Keet."

"Your zombie parakeet?"

A bird pecks at one brain and people start throwing around derogatory terms.

Nice birdy. Step away from the brains.

This book is one of those urban fantasies that has some new ideas on vampires and necromancy and all of that kind of thing. I thought it was kind of fun and it is definitely setting up for a cool series.

The
Montzalee Wittmann
This is great paranormal fun!

A necromancer that is jailed for a crime she didn't commit, now is released...but why now? By who? What happened to cause the release? Now a powerful vampire clan wants her before others find out about her. Oh, and the house she grew up in has a mind of its own, people would call it haunted. This is a fresh fantasy that is interesting, exciting, and full of great characters. Really liked it. Would've given it 5 stars but it just kinda stopped. But I liked it enough I
Mara
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I would have given a higher rating to this book if not for the very confusing beginning (the book starts in media res and it's not big on world building) and an irritating, irking secondary character. I didn't find him funny, and after 5 years in hell, drugged, abandoned, tortured, I thought she should have been well over a childhood crush. He seems stupid, beside a dog, and insensitive to boot. But then it might be me.
The book skirts too much the NA edge, and again giving the backstory, it
Mandi Schreiner
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf
Well done urban fantasy - the heroine is a necromancer and there is a nice take on vampires. She lives in a haunted house - and the house itself kind of talks to her. Well-paced with a great heroine. The world building is well done - twists and turns. I laughed, but there are also darker moments.

I really enjoyed this one. First time I've read this author. Ready for book two.
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
How to Save an Undead Life is a brand new series by Hailey Edwards. I fell into the mystery and dramatic adventure of who and what Grier Woolworth is.

WOW I’m not sure where to start. This book is setting us up for one amazing adventure. Grier is thrown into the deep end and is not prepared for it. I felt for her. She’s one hot mess with some serious PTSD. You might wonder what happened, well lets just say her past is a tragic one and she didn’t have a chance. She also doesn’t know her
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
This did not Wow me as I expected after having read the reviews. It seemed like a lot of things were happening and most of them don't even add to the story, it just dragged it out. Secondly, the heroine already has a love interest and the pairing happened off scene, this doesn't exactly make me any invested in reading about them.

The different caste of vampires was pretty unique and I might continue on with the series. Maybe.
Denisa
3.5
Ohh, look, a new series! And I smell potential!

I have to admit, there are some things that annoy me at the main character.
But it's fun and interesting and it could be something that will get better the more I read.

For now, I'm keeping my opinion neutral (mostly), but I feel like it could become a good one.
Emma
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good start to a series. I discovered this author through her current series The Foundling- Bayou Born- and as a first instalment, promises that the series will be at least as good. This UF has vampires, necromancers, wraiths and plenty of secrets for the MC to uncover in future books. There must be thousands of Urban fantasy series out there, but this appears to be one of the better ones!
Danyelle
I really enjoyed this both the charaters and the story and I want a woolly of my own. Can't wait for book 2! ...more
Melliane
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

Here’s a novel that I was curious to discover! There are not many series featuring necromancers and the only one that comes to mind is Anita Blake, I must say. So how could I resist Grier?

Poor Grier, she really had no luck in life. After her aunt’s death, she was charged with the murder and locked in a terrible place until someone pulled her out without her understanding the reason. And even if she’s lost everything, at least she still has her zombie
Theresa
4 Stars... Hailey Edwards introduces readers to the interworking's of necromancers with her complex and dynamic character of Grier Woolworth; a young woman wrongfully imprisoned and attempting to find her way back in the world as she suffers loss, necromantic society's rules and expectations, and a new level of power and prestige... Who to trust and where to turn for answers becomes a confusing and terrifying game as she attempts to navigate her new normal... Throw in her life long love and a ...more
Lucie Ondrušková
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book has great reviews and I can't help wondering: But why.
Nothing ever happens in the book. The characters were very bland and not remotely interesting. The sentient manor and undead parakeet were mostly gimmicks (as cool as they sound as a premise) and generally the whole book felt like reading a prologue. The story went from nowhere to nowhere and we didn't learn any of the mysteries that were obliquely hinted at. I mean, it's great you want to build suspension and a longer story arc (I
Steph
How to Save an Undead Life was a surprisingly intriguing read. By that I mean there is so much more to the story than I expected. So much that I'm not sure how to compose a review that won't be either a duplication of the offered blurb or a spoiler. Much is left to either the reader's imagination or to be learned later, which would normally frustrate me however, in this case, it only made me more ravenous for details.
"Make no apologies for surviving."
When we meet Grier Woolworth she's
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: unlimited
It's with regret that I couldn't get into this book more - the second half did thankfully capture my interest more than the first, but it was never gripping. Good reviews, idea and characters, but there was a spark missing. The protagonist was likable but she got handed some crappy hands that would have left me angry and kept frustrating me throughout the story. She seemed traumatized but not as upset as she should have been. I would have liked more inner reflection on the mystery of her aunt ...more
☕️Kimberly
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first in the Beginner's Guide to Necromancy series this urban fantasy is set in Savannah, Georgia. I was quickly drawn into the world and magic Hailey Edwards has created.

We meetGrier Woolworth a twenty-something ex-necromancer who owns her childhood home. Wait until you meet her house! Grier has had quite a complicated life but I admired her spunk. Edwards enlightens us on her troubled past as she shares Grier's struggles and her passionate love of local history.

Grier works nights as a
Pippa DaCosta
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Readers in my Facebook group recommended this, and they weren't wrong. A fun urban fantasy that grips from the beginning. More of an emotional story than a fast-paced action-packed romp, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be reading the next book.
Jen Davis
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It can’t be easy to keep coming up with a fresh new take on urban fantasy. I read a lot in the genre and so many of the books carry similar threads or a common tone. I am finding, though, with Hailey Edwards that each one of her series has a unique flavor. This one is no exception. It is really, really good.

The heroine is Grier, a weak necromancer who has only recently been released from a supernatural prison where she spent the last five years for a crime she did not commit. This is a woman who
Stacy
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up HOW TO SAVE AN UNDEAD LIFE because I was in a rut of not wanting to read anything I had and not sure what I wanted to read next and I am beyond glad that I did. I LOVED it. It was nothing like I expected and everything I didn't know I wanted.

Grier has not had it easy and it looks like easy is not a word that is in her future. I don't know how she kept it together and at times she has a hard time doing it, but she was SO strong when most would have given up and it endeared me to her
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
I’ve been “dying” to read Hailey Edwards for years, so I jumped at the chance to review the audiobook of her latest series, Beginner’s Guide to Necromancy. The series revolves around Grier Woolworth, a magic wielder once training to be a necromancy-assistant with her adopted mom, Maude Woolworth, now trying to make ends meet as a tour guide of haunted sites in Savannah, Georgia. Grier was wrongly convicted of brutality murdering Maude and locked away in the Society for Necromancy’s most severe ...more
Grier is an assistant necromancer that has just been pardoned from the most awful prison. She's not really sure why, she's just glad to be out of there and is trying to live a normal life when she is approached by Volkov, a vampire wanting to form an alliance. This puzzles Grier until the new Grand Dame explains the reason behind everyone's new interest in Grier.

I liked this one. I liked the setting (Savannah) and really enjoyed the characters. Grier is interesting and somewhat broken and the
Aly is so frigging bored
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Aly is so frigging bored by: Denisa
I wasn't blown away, but I liked the world, I think LOL I am invested to find out the bad master vamp though. i'm also curious about the character introduced in the last chapter... So I'll def read the next book.
Saly
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really loved the start to this series. The heroine's life is really messed up and I am curious to know more about her past, her powers and how she grows.
*Flora*
A Fantastic Start To This Intriguing Series

Hailey Edwards is a new-to-me author and I am so pleased to have found her. I found this book very easy to read and loved her writing style; the plot kept me gripped, the world was fascinating and the characters were multifaceted creations that felt totally believable even though many were not even human.

While I'm talking about characters, those of you who have read my reviews before will know that I crave heroines who are intelligent, resilient,
SheLove2Read
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
It took a few chapters to figure out what was going on, but once the author got her mojo flowing, I really enjoyed this. Likeable characters and a good story. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Beth
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I really want to read the next book now! It came to an ending - not a cliffhanger - but I want to see the plot threads play out more.
It's odd how the next two books have titles listed in the back already.
TJ
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5.0
This book was really confusing throughout the first half with everything hinted at but nothing understood. About 50% in, however, things started picking up and was great! Will absolutely pick up the next in the series and hope it keeps getting better.
Laura the Highland Hussy
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Got Fiction?

I really enjoyed Hailey Edwards' Foundling series, so when I saw her backlist on Kindle Unlimited I wanted to check it out. After asking around, a friend said to start the Beginner's Guide toNecromancy series. I did, not really expecting to enjoy it this much, but I really like the world she's created.

I will say that her voice takes some getting used to for me. It was the same in the Foundling series. This author uses a lot A LOT of similes and everything is like
Kelly
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part of me doesn't know where to start with this review. I really really REALLY liked this book, but I was also incensed over the things Grier was forced to endure PRIOR to what happened to her here. Like, the lady never had a chance to be who she could have been when everything went down and I'm angry on her behalf.

Properly incensed, as it were.

Buuuut...all that crazy did reveal heretofore hidden facets of her abilities, so I GUESS I'll deal with it. On the other hand, her reintroduction to
✿Danielle✿
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ✿Danielle✿ by: Jen Davis
GRIER WOOLWORTH

Read 23/9/18 | 5 stars

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Book synopsis: Grier Woolworth spends her nights weaving spooky tales of lost souls and tragedies for tourists on the streets of downtown Savannah. Hoop skirt and parasol aside, it’s not a bad gig. The pay is crap, but the tips keep the lights on in her personal haunted mansion and her pantry stocked with ramen.

Life is about as normal as it gets for an ex-necromancer hiding among humans. Until the society that excommunicated Grier offers
Llaph
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I took a chance on this author again since I had such a good result reading Bayou Born. It is imaginative, fun, interesting as heck, and I just enjoyed most everything in the story. I can’t wait to get a hold of the sequel when it comes out.
One of the things I really liked was the intricacies of the lore behind vampires and their creation and creators. I’m curious to see how stuff is handled after that ending for sure.
The only thing that I don’t particularly like is Boaz … playboy/manwhore
My Vampire Book O...: July: Erato - The Muse of Love Poetry 221 47 Aug 02, 2019 08:08PM
Vampires, Weres a...: How to Save an Undead Life 14 25 Oct 12, 2018 09:27AM

• Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • The Alchemist and an Amaretto (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #5)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Two Witches and a Whiskey (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #3)
  • Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #1)
  • Dark Arts and a Daiquiri (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #2)
  • Demon Magic and a Martini (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #4)
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
  • Heart of Malice (Alice Worth, #1)
  • Heart of Fire (Alice Worth #2)
  • Heart of Ice (Alice Worth #3)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon Book 1)
  • Heart of Stone (Alice Worth, #4)
  • Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • Magic Bite (Supernatural Bounty Hunter, #1)
  • Chameleon Assassin (Chameleon Assassin, #1)
Hailey Edwards writes about questionable applications of otherwise perfectly good magic, the transformative power of love, the family you choose for yourself, and blowing stuff up. Not necessarily all at once. That could get messy. She lives in Alabama with her husband, their daughter, and a herd of dachshunds.

The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy (7 books)
  • How to Claim an Undead Soul (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #2)
  • How to Break an Undead Heart (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #3)
  • How to Dance an Undead Waltz (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #4)
  • How to Live an Undead Lie (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #5)
  • How to Wake an Undead City (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #6)
  • How to Kiss an Undead Bride: The Epilogues (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
“Make no apologies for surviving.” 3 likes
“Wounded animals heal best in their dens. You owe no one an apology for doing whatever it takes to survive.” 2 likes