Start by marking “Poldark's Cornwall” as Want to Read:
Poldark's Cornwall

Poldark's Cornwall

Winston Graham's saga of Cornish life in the 18th century has established itself as a classic and the television series kept large audiences enthralled all over the world. This book provides illustrations of the Cornish setting. Its manor houses, ruins, paths, views, towns related to the Poldark saga.
Published April 23rd 2015 by MacMillan (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Poldark's Cornwall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poldark's Cornwall

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book is not about our lovely Poldark from the show. There are two pictures of him in the book and one of Demelza. This is about beautiful Cornwall and Winston Graham talking about growing up there, the show and other things. There is a book about the current show and all that goes on there. I forgot the name, but it's on my Amazon wishlist =) I got this for the beautiful pictures.

I'm going to be adding some of the pictures that I took from my own book. I will add the captions from the pict
Rachel
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cornish-lit
Once you have fallen in love with the Poldark family, I recommend this non-fiction book written by the author of the the Poldark series. It is full of wonderful photography of Cornwall. The Durham library carries it.
Jen
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poldark's Cornwall is a memoir of Winston Graham's love and life of Cornwall. He lived in Perranporth for a time and was inspired to write his Poldark series, which I love. The book is full of historical information and anecdotes of his life as well as information for the Poldark fan (of course) about places that inspired the locations in his books and the characters.

Reading this book you don't just gain the urgent need to discover Cornwall for yourself but you also gain an insight into the mind
Susan Hug
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Beautiful photos of Cornwall, but the title was misleading---too little of the book was devoted to the Poldark novels. I was hoping to discover where Mr. Graham had set Nampara, the geographical layout in his head of the prominent manors in the novels and the towns referred to. Only a basic map on the last pages oriented one and it took determined efforts to find towns in the novels and towns photographed in the book. As so often happens with beautiful books of the type, it appears the photos ar ...more
Tieria's
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must for anyone who has fallen in love with Cornwall through Graham's books. He talks about his own experiences there and many of the features that appear directly or indirectly in the novels. I read it before I visited Cornwall for the first time, and it gave me very good direction in terms of seeking the places I wanted most to see.
Helen White
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Some stunning photographs of Cornwall with updated information and pictures for fans of the new BBC series.
Liz Fenwick
A beautiful journey through Cornwall taken with a writer who had an enduring passion for the Duchy.
Elsha
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoyable to feel lost in the time and setting of Cornwall with the Poldark’s. Interesting to see the story continue with George Warleggan and the Poldark children. I lack the vocabulary of Graham and knowledge of old English but I love the flowery language and feel like I can mostly follow what is trying to be said. Always feel like I want to reach into the story and control the characters but it actually make me love the stories even more.
Joan
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in the 1980s, this is a memoir of the author's time in and love for Cornwall. Both the writing and the photographs are beautiful, capturing the wildness, the simplicity that he felt there. There are stories about his life, historical information, and insights to the Poldark series. I read it because I'm going to Cornwall soon and want to visit Poldark sites; he has given me more than enough to fill my days.
Daniel
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a tribute to Winston Graham with the re-publication of his original non-fiction with a lot of breathtaking photos taken nowadays! Some experience is nicely described, like the gradual liking to be Cornish, and some statements are really timeless, like the description of happiness being less newsworthy and fashionable, yet this should flourishes in the world!
Jane Cable
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’d been hunting for this book for some time and it didn’t disappoint with beautiful photos and the links – real and imagined – between Ross and Demelza’s world. It also contained a couple of pages of useful advice for authors. Most pertinent to me seemed: “…risk of becoming too preoccupied with history… But novels are about life.” I think I should pin that up on my wall.
Ophelia
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The pictures are very beautiful. I hope I get to visit Cornwall some day :).
Fashnhat
This was an interesting companion book. It is dated, 1985, in that the current Poldark series is not included in the author's notes. The pictures are lovely and the commentaries are enjoyable.
Zoann
A beautifully published and intimate look at Cornwall, England, continuing my obsession with Cornwall.
Brenda McDonald
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of gorgeous photographs of Cornwall and many little tidbits related to place names and character names in the Poldark series. I often look at this book while I'm reading one of the Poldark novels just to get a better visual image of the places Graham is referring to, such as Caerhays Castle. A really nice addition to one's library if you happen to be a Poldark enthusiast.
Wendy
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are reading this coffee table book while visiting Cornwall. It is thoroughly enjoyable as a literary companion either before or after experiencing the actual villages, harbors, moors, beaches and coastal walks. Graham is a fine writer and the photos are gorgeous.
Elisabeth
A beautful insight to Cornwall, and one of my favorite authors.
Hope
lots of good ideas for our trip
Lili
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully illustrated book with descriptions of place in Cornwall associated with the Poldark Novels
Meredith
Kristi
Oct 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Poldark Saga - Wi...: What's in a Name? Warleggan 4 40 Jun 25, 2017 04:18AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: * General information about the book 11 34 Jun 27, 2016 12:48PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: What's in a name? Poldark 4 39 Dec 29, 2015 08:27AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: What's in a Name? Clowance 2 60 Dec 17, 2015 09:06PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: What's in a Name? Cuby 6 33 Dec 17, 2015 08:55PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: What's in a Name? Tholly Tregirls 1 17 Dec 16, 2015 07:37PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: What's in a Name? Demelza 1 50 Dec 16, 2015 07:01PM

• The Captain
  • Storm
  • Henry VIII
  • Type and Typography
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature (FRSL) and in 1983 was invested ...more
“Tide Winston Graham and his wife Jean. Introduction” 0 likes