Start by marking “Jay-Jay the Supersonic Bus” as Want to Read:
Jay-Jay the Supersonic Bus

Jay-Jay the Supersonic Bus

Jay-Jay the bus is rescued from the dirty scrap yard, where he was sadly gathering dust and cobwebs. Feeling nervous yet excited, he is taken to an airport where he is magically transformed into a 'Playbus' full of toys, games and adventure. A fictional tale based on a real life bus 'Supersonic', which flew in the imaginations of the many young children who visited it. ...more
Published October 10th 2014 by Sue Wickstead

To ask other readers questions about Jay-Jay the Supersonic Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jay-Jay the Supersonic Bus

Start your review of Jay-Jay the Supersonic Bus
Donna Maguire

I have read a couple of books by this author now I have to say that she creates some fabulous books to read with some excellent characters – this book is great and I can easily see Jay-Jay being a firm favourite with younger children especially as I really enjoyed it as an adult!

The story is easy to follow and it has a nice natural flow to it. I loved seeing what happened to Jay-Jay and the new lease of life he is given. It is a nice, genuine feel good sto
Elaine
This is a delightful, colourful, children’s story based on something that really happened. It is beautifully illustrated throughout and tells the story from the point of view of Jay-Jay, the bus transformed from dropping to pieces in a scrapyard to being a source of fun and excitement in a new role as a ‘Playbus’. The story is engaging and the illustrations add to its appeal. This is a relatively quick but engaging read that will appeal to children – younger ones will enjoy having it read to the ...more
Jessica
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All my reviews can be found at: http://jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~
I received a copy for being on the blog blitz on 4/20/19
~~~~
Jay-Jay the Supersonic Bus is a colorful children’s picture book that is surprisingly based on fact. Jay-Jay is JJK261 and he has been forgotten in the scrap yard until one day some kids briefly play on him. Later on, he gets new lease on life as someone buys ALL of him and not just pieces of him! His future is much brighter now!

This is a short feel good children’s book t
Billy Buttons
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: Jay-Jay, The Supersonic Bus

Writing Style: 8/10
Content: 8/10
Cover: 9/10
Of the 19 readers:
18 would read another book by this author.
17 thought the cover was good or excellent.
13 felt it was easy to follow.
18 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
14 felt the author’s strongest skill was ‘plotting a story’.
5 felt
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My friends five year old daughter absolutely loved this book. When it arrived I read it through with her. We talked about the pictures as we went along. A few days later when she was visiting again she asked my seventeen year old son to read it with her. Again the story was read to her while she gave feedback on the pictures.

Since then my friends daughter has picked the book up every time she has been over. She has been doing well spelling out the words for herself. In fact I had a real proud m
Jennifer Gilmour
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was delighted to read this book after connecting with the author. My nickname for many years and I still get called it was JJ, it was my initials for my maiden name. We laughed at the connection.

I read Jay-Jay with my 7 year old daughter who was interested in the storyline, when we got to the end she was fascinated with the real Jay-Jay Supersonic. It made the story more valuable and most likely more memorable for her. Now she is excited to read the next one.

My daughter found it easy to read
Autumn
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We received this book to give an honest review.
This was a really awesome kids book. K enjoyed watching the bus go from almost being recycled to becoming a bus that kids got to play in and enjoy themselves. He actually asked if we could find a bus like that to play in. I think this was a neat idea for a bus to be turned into for kids to be able to have some type of play time and the fact that it is based on a real bus that is amazing.
The pictures are colorful and go perfect with the story being t
Steph Warren
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book with thanks to the author and Rachel Gilbey at Rachel’s Random Resources blog tours. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Minishine (6) and Babybows (3) were both entranced by Jay-Jay the Supersonic Bus. This is a really lovely picture book – not too wordy, not too simple – with beautifully colourful illustrations. Both children really enjoyed picking out the details in the pictures and expanding on the story on the pages.

Me: What did you think
Simon Leonard
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was really looking forward to reading this book with Amelia, my 5 year old daughter, as she loves buses so I thought this book would be perfect for her.

Neither of us were disappointed as the book itself has some lovely pictures in it and the story was entertaining enough to keep the pair of us entertained.

The story follows Jay-Jay the bus who is in a breakers yard at the beginning of the book feeling very sorry for himself, when some people come along and take him away.

They perform some magic
Tonja Drecker
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a bright, colorful picture book which is sure to delight young listeners.

Jay-Jay is a bus, one that has gone his miles and finds himself in the junkyard. Depression sets in as he waits for his parts to be taken away one by one. Then, he's taken away and not just part of him—all of him. Soon, he gets a make-over and is bright and shiny. Best of all, he's got the new life as a play bus, where kids run around and play games in him.

This is such an encouraging and warm read. Young listeners w
Claire Sheldon
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, I liked how this book is clearly the beginning of a series. The book tells the tale of a bus that was found on a scrap yard. One day some people came along and he was pick and renovated into a play bus. This story really captures the imagination of my youngest Melanie. Though at one point Alex was a bit like "they are fitted alot of things on that bus!" This book is ideal for those little ones and a great starting point for hopefully more amazing books to come.

Alex: Y
Nicola Smith
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got Jay-Jay the Supersonic Bus to read with my five year old son, but actually I really enjoyed it too. It's a fabulous tale and what makes it even better is that it's based on a real life bus.

Jay-Jay gets a new lease of life when he is found in a scrap yard. His name comes from his registration number - JJK 261 - in case you were wondering. He's taken to an airport where he is made into a play bus. All his seats are removed and carpets and cupboards are put in so that children can come along
Lorraine
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Written from Jay-Jay's point of view, this is a wonderful picture book which is a delight to read.

Based on a true story, we join Jay-Jay on his adventures, as he is rescued from the scrapyard and becomes a playbus.

The book is well-written and the colourful illustrations help to bring Jay-Jay to life and complement the tale perfectly.
Caroline Venables
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great children’s book that focuses on an old bus that thinks it useful days are over. Luckily for Jay Jay he gets a make over so children can play on him.

I think children will love this, it is bright and cheerful and contains lots of brightly coloured pictures.
Classroom Kitty
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, I really like the spot illustrations. They complement without taking over and provide enough of a quick snap shot of the page to work perfectly. These illustrations are important in my opinion to engage children who may not be that keen on reading and yes, I’m specifically thinking of boys of this age.

The story is well written without unnecessary buffing. I liked the voice of Jay-Jay who comes across as very approachable – I think children would really connect well with the character. S
Deborah J Miles
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has lots of really beautifully drawn illustrations to captivate the imagination and engage young readers as they follow this story.

The story is about a decommissioned bus called Jay-Jay. We meet Jay-Jay in the breakers yard, where the bus has been sent, and is waiting to be broken up for scrap.

Before work can start on Jay-Jay, he is sold to a group of people who have a new purpose for him - as a children's playbus.

Jay-Jay is the narrator of this story, and we learn how he feels about
Diana
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Saved from a distressing situation, Jay-Jay overhears that the deal is complete. No, he won't be broken up into pieces. He's happy to know he'll no longer be lonely in the scrap yard again. He has felt in-significant for quite sometime now staying in a place where old buses go. Things are different now because he has been taken to an airport where exciting changes are magically beginning to transform Jay-Jay into a Playbus. The two things close to Jay-Jay's heart, children and the love of playin ...more
Charlotte Jones
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I was given my copy for free in exchange for an honest review from Publishing Push.

This is an adorable story of a bus who finds a new purpose in life. The story is interesting and would definitely have moral significance for children reading it.

The watercolour illustrations throughout are on every page and really bring the events to life. They are detailed and grab the readers' attention making for a quick and bright read.

The only downside that I can thought of whilst reading this was that apa
Based on a true story this is a wonderful story to share with children. It spreads hope among adults also, as it is about finding new purpose.
I love watching television shows about repurposing and fixing things up and giving them new life. When Jay Jay thinks his usefulness is over and he is sent to a scrapyard, he gets more and more sad as he sees the vehicles around him taken apart and falling into rusty pieces.
One day some creative people arrive and change his life, allowing him to go on and
Natasha Murray
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Supersonic Children’s Story

This story is based on a true story about a bus that is given a second chance and becomes a supersonic star in the hearts of children. Children of all ages will enjoy reading about the old bus JJK 261 Route B and will discover how it became Jay-Jay the Supersonic Playbus. Jay-Jay has a cheerful disposition and just loves bringing joy to children. This is a great read for early readers and the excellent illustrations will keep the pages turning. Author, Sue Wickstead,
John
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jay-Jay the Supersonic Bus is a great read that will be enjoyed by kids. The pictures are bright, colorful and full of life. It's the story of an old, near broken down bus being brought back to life and used in an amazing way to create fun and excitement for others. The neatest part of the story is it's told from the view of Jay-Jay the bus. Then at the end we discover another amazing part about the stories inspiration. Well done.

I was provided with a free copy of this title in return for an hon
Suzie
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book for children. The illustrations are bright and colourful and will certainly draw attention to them, the story of Jay-Jay is fun and easy to follow. Definitely one for the little ones to enjoy
Stepj Gear
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
My introduction for this book should have given you a good idea of HOW MUCH I LOVED THIS BOOK! I am not ashamed to admit that I love to read children’s books, not just for my boys…but for me too. I love to escape into a crazy, imagined world where anything is possible. I have always been a big believer in encouraging children to read and be interested in books. My boys love a good story, and especially ones which have them captivated from the start.

Jay Jay, the Supersonic Bus was a wonderful sto
Marie
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Story:

This is a wonderfully fun story–an idea I would have absolutely LOVED as a child: turning an old bus into a playbus. This one is sure to spark your kids’ imaginations. And the best part is that it’s based on a very real, famous playbus.

Illustrations:

Fun, bright, and full of detail. The artwork is guaranteed to spark imagination as much as the story itself. I had so much fun with this one.

Cover:

Thomas
is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2016
Sue Wickstead
Feb 21, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

• Twisted
  • Game of Crones: Tales of Witchcraft and Wickedness
  • A Little Hotel in Cornwall
  • The Lynmouth Stories
  • Chloe - Never Forget (Carl Sant Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • The Suspects
  • Him
  • Ting-A-Ling: The Old Ambulance
  • The Dream of the Tortoise
  • A Matter of Latitude
  • Justice Gone
  • Maybe Baby (Lisa Blake #2)
  • Arbitrage
  • Chloe - Lost Girl (Carl Sant Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • The Art of Sherlock Holmes: West Palm Beach - Standard Edition
  • Familiar Strangers
  • Harvey and the Moon Bus
  • The Death of Jessica Ripley (CSI Eddie Collins #5)
Sue Wickstead is a teacher and an author living in West Sussex. She writes children’s picture books with a bus theme as well as links to her teaching career.

Sue once worked with a mobile charity called the Bewbush Playbus and was asked to write a photographic history book about it. This has now led to fictional tales about buses.
Sue began to write a fictional bus tale following questions from chi