Start by marking “A Hundred Veils” as Want to Read:
A Hundred Veils

Read Book

A Hundred Veils

A young American teacher at the University of Tehran falls in love with a beautiful Iranian girl and gets caught up in the social, political, and religious turmoil of the times.
Published April 1st 2015 by Real Nice Books

Start your review of A Hundred Veils
David
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought “A Hundred Veils”, a novel by Rea Keech, because it was about Iran, or Persia, where I lived for two years of my youth at about the same time as the author. I found that the book was true, authentic.

The sights, the sounds, the smells, the tastes and the interactions with Iranians were the same as those that I had experienced. The main character, an American Peace Corps volunteer named Marco, arrived in Iran with the wide-eyed curiosity as I did when I was twenty-two years old.

Marco meet
Mostafa Rahbar
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As an Iranian, I was attracted to this book by the beautiful picture of our Mount Damavand on the cover and by the title, a phrase from a famous poem of Rumi. This is a novel about a young American living in Iran when the anti-Shah forces were just beginning to gather strength. I now live in the States but lived in Tehran at the time when the story is set, and I find the picture of the people and culture very accurate. This is a moving story of an inter-cultural love affair, but it is also very ...more
Darcy
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rea Keech has written a novel that informs, inspires and delights. A Hundred Veils is a love story that takes place in 1968 Iran. The protagonist is Marco, a young American teaching English at the University of Tehran for the International Teachers Association. As Keech served with the Peace Corps in Iran at the same time, his novel necessarily draws much of its verisimilitude from his experiences there.

Of all the books Peace Corps Worldwide’s editor offered me to review, I immediately chose thi
Kathleen
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
above average romance story of a young male American teacher in Iran just prior to Iranian overthrow of Shah who falls in love with the cousin of his Iranian roommate. Explains a lot about the difference in perception of culture and society between Western and Iranian.
Ann
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library, rea-keech
A story about Marco who went to Iran to teach English. It was a very difficult time when the Shah was in power, many demonstrations and protests, shouting "Death to America". Religious and political turmoil, language barriers (Although he knew Farsi, he still faced difficulties), cultural differences.
Through all of this, he fell in love with an Iranian lady. They faced many difficulties throughout the book. During a powerful earthquake, a twist of fate came for the two of them.
Rea Keech does i
Crystal (Goddess in the Stacks)
I picked this book up as part of my effort to read more diverse books. It centers on a young American English teacher who falls in love with an Iranian girl at the University of Tehran in the 70s. It wasn’t until I’d finished reading it, and finally read the About the Author, that I discovered the author is actually local to me. And I mean VERY local. As in my county library system had an event starring him THREE DAYS PRIOR to my reading the book! So I’m a little annoyed that I missed that, as I ...more
Brandi
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful

I absolutely misjudged this novel, but I'm glad that I did - that made the touching moments that much better. The straightforward, almost removed lens through which we look allows the writing and imagery to work for itself, without sensationalizing. I loved it.
Bonniecco cco
Jul 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I did not actually read this. I started, with good intentions, but found it too far from my own experiences in Iran to be credible. The lead character seemed superficial or not interesting or ... Too much time has passed for me to remember the elements of my distaste, actually.
Barby Stely
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lot of passion went into this book. It's beautiful how the story takes you ...more
Sheri
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Hundred Veils by Rea Keech

Marco is teaching at the University of Tehran, he is learning about the culture, religion and the people in this foreign land. Farhad is his colleague and his best friend is there to teach him the Irainian customs, religion and ways of life. Soon Marco starts to fall in love with Farhad's sister Mastaneh. This becomes a challenge since it is basically unheard of for and Iranian woman to be with a foreigner.

Well written , moving at a steady pace, with well developed ch
Linda
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Hundred Veils by Rea Keech

The first chapter drew me into the story. The author’s depictions of Marco’s initial impressions from the time the plane landed in the Shiraz airport to finding himself on the balcony of the Pahlavi University dormitory captured my attention immediately. This young American teacher has incredible, believable cultural experiences complete with friendship, humor, sadness and ultimately love in a country that started out to be so foreign to him. It does not take long to
Barbara Munjal
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was great to read about the experience of an American in Iran when the revolution was just getting started.
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Jun 19, 2015
Thomas Keech
Jun 18, 2015
John Krauskopf
Aug 11, 2015
Stormy
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this first novel. I had many other heavier readings to do this week and kept expecting a negative to come in this story. I read this novel with no advance info about the author or the book.
I think I expected a usual Nicolas Sparks ending. When the endings were not that way I felt lighter and happier yet wondering if it was a real Iranian ending.
Joann Arndorfer meyer
Theresa
Jul 06, 2017
Ned Tillman
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well worth reading. The story captured my interest and the details reminded me of what life was like back in the 70s in the Shah's Iran. The reality pictured here might be a surprise to the western reader. ...more
Rea Keech
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: recently-read
Who is your favorite character in A Hundred Veils? 2 5 Jan 22, 2019 09:05AM

• Coulrophobia & Fata Morgana
  • The Cynic in Extremis
  • The King of Lies
  • Active Measures (Jericho Quinn #8)
  • VW Air-Cooled Engines: How to Rebuild
  • The Twin Towers
  • Lamentations (Bible #25)
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club (Jo Mackenzie, #1)
  • Jacob's Rescue: A Holocaust Story
  • The Liars' Asylum
  • Unchained
  • Bridge to Us
  • The Worst Christmas Ever
  • Miss Ruffles Inherits Everything (Miss Ruffles Mysteries #1)
  • Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants
  • 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth and Other Useful Guides
  • Jeremiah (Bible #24)
  • The Man Who Wouldn't Stand Up
I love literary fiction and humor. Lately I've been reading books set in Iran and other countries outside of the U.S. I taught English and World Literature at a community college for many years. My doctorate is in Comparative Literature. ...more