Start by marking “The Naked Man: A Study of the Male Body” as Want to Read:
The Naked Man: A Study of the Male Body

The Naked Man: A Study of the Male Body

(Studies of the Human Body #2)

No life form has had a greater impact upon this planet than the human male. What is it that has made his legacy so utterly distinct from that of all other life forms, including even the human female? Following on from the international success of The Naked Woman, Desmond Morris investigates this intriguing evolutionary success story. The Naked Man is a study of the masculi ...more
Published January 3rd 2008 by Jonathan Cape

To ask other readers questions about The Naked Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Naked Man

Addicted to Books
2.5 Stars !

I was excited about this book and my excitement died down somewhere 80 pages into the book. That unbalanced and un researched take on male homosexuality at the end reduced the rating by one star . More on that later.

First of all, I just want to say a few things before I proceed to the review.

- I am a hot red blooded female who loves men and I am very interested and fascinated in the male species and I have done quite a bit of research about the points I bring up in my review.

- I am
Nathan
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The male body, its structure, appearance, function and uses, is described in descending order from the top of the head to the soles of the feet.

Morris has always been one to take the less-travelled path when it comes to his work, and this one is no different. He relies on a few select researchers who tend to back up his prefered position and is certainly happy to make all sorts of suppositions and suggestions when there is nothing to back anything up.

Basic rule of thumb: if the body part in ques
Erkan Altınörs
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neredeyse her sayfasında genel kültür alanında okuyucuya yeni bilgi katabilecek bir kitap. Erkek bedenindeki uzuvlar konu olarak ayrı ayrı ele alınmış ve her konu sosyokültürel, tarih, felsefe, edebiyat, fen bilimleri ile ilgili olan detaylarla geliştirilmiş.

Beklentimi karşılayan bir popüler bilim kitabı olduğunu rahatlıkla söyleyebilirim.
Daniel C.
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
One-line review:
The book lapses into hoary evo-psych bullshit just often enough to keep distracting from the otherwise potentially interesting subject matter... and that's not even touching the last chapter, which is not only terribly written, but entirely unrelated to the rest of the book to boot.
Makomai
come scoprii che le mie figlie non sono figlie di mia moglie

Ho sempre amato Desmond Morris. Trovo i suoi libri intelligenti e ben scritti. Ma ho anche sempre avuto una remora: il suo evoluzionismo mi e’ sempre sembrato troppo speculativo e poco attento alle meccaniche genetiche. Sospettavo fosse dovuto alla sua formazione, ma… come si puo’ conciliare il mio amore per Morris con lo spettacolare errore a pag 52, che dimostra che non ha capito i meccanismi base dell’ereditarieta’? Parlando dell’ore
Sehar  Moughal
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A day or so ago, I finished reading the "The Naked Woman" and couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. I wanted to know would there be stark differences between the male and female gender, specifically the perception of ideal bodies? Pretty soon I found the answer to my question; there were no photos in the book at all. NIL. I do not blame Desmond for that; I blame our societies and their distorted perception of female as nothing but a sexual body. For example, undue pressure is put on a fema ...more
Edith Wasco
Es un libro interesante, con mucha información y datos curiosos, pero es altamente especulativo y comparado con otros libros de Morris (El zoo humano y El Mono Desnudo) no es muy bueno. A pesar de todo, cosas buenas aquí y allá sí las tiene.
Seda Baykal
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Türkçe baskısı NTV yayınlarında "Çıplak Adam" ismi ile mevcut. Erkek cinsiyetini biyolojik fizyolojik ve sosyolojik açıdan inceleyen kolay okunur bilimsel içerik. (Aynı yazarın The naked woman: The study of the woman body adlı kitabı da mevcut fakat okumadım.)
Rory
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Highly speculative. Largely consists of the author's own pseudo-scientific musings.

Good idea for coffee-table book, but lacking substance for anyone interested in a serious approach to why a male body is the way it is.
Selena Stan
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
The idea behind the book is interesting but the style is somehow boring. Unclear sources of information which cast a question mark on the validity of various parts of the book. Got bored after the first 4-5 chapters and gave up on reading...
Ram Kishor Poddar
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this book along with another book in the same line " The naked Women" to get a wholesome picture. "The Naked Women" was written before this book and referances have been revised. As i stated in the review of "The Naked women" this too is an absolute masterpiece and a must read.
Shannon Vyff
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is Desmond Morris's latest book, published 08--he is prescient as always and it gives so much more meaning and breadth to his monumental work now, having read The Naked Ape, as a teen.
Deborah Vespo
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Took home from work when I read a few interesting passages. Not as scientific as I thought it would be.
Barbara
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
An entertaining and interesting mix of facts, urban legends presented as fact, and speculation about the human male body, each chapter covering a different body part.
Jenny
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Un libro interesante al que le gusta saber cosas curiosas del cuerpo humano.
Ala'a Al jazaeri
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gives you a perspective of the reproduction power and it's effect on how our body functions
Beth (bibliobeth)
Excellent book for anyone who is interested in the human body and how it works. Complete guide from hair to buttocks to feet! Brilliant ancedotes and useless information also. Worth a read!
Florence
Desmond Morris always has an amusing analysis and he doesn't disappoint in this book. I learned the insulting, obscene hand gestures from many different countries.
Nefer02
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Aloha Betrayed: Native Hawaiian Resistance to American Colonialism
  • The Science of Love and Betrayal
  • Dawn of the Deed: The Prehistoric Origins of Sex
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • Case of the Female Orgasm: Bias in the Science of Evolution
  • The Aquatic Ape Hypothesis (Condor Independent Voices)
  • Race, Monogamy, and Other Lies They Told You: Busting Myths about Human Nature
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans
  • Sleep Thieves: an Eye-Opening Exploration into the Science and Mysteries of Sleep
  • Calvin and Hobbes 1: Thereby Hangs a Tale
  • The Multi-Orgasmic Couple: Sexual Secrets Every Couple Should Know
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • The Complete Costume History / Vollständige Kostümgeschichte / Le Costume Historique
  • Masters of Deception: Escher, Dali, and the Artists of Optical Illusion
  • Sex and Temperament in Three Primitive Societies
  • A Foray Into the Worlds of Animals and Humans: With a Theory of Meaning
  • The Evolution of Childhood: Relationships, Emotion, Mind
Desmond John Morris is most famous for his work as a zoologist and ethologist, but is also known as a surrealist artist and author.

Studies of the Human Body (2 books)
  • The Naked Woman: A Study of the Female Body